Exclusive Pool Area

Good

This was a really nice hotel with a real...

Reviewed 13th December 2007

"This was a really nice hotel with a really fun atmosphere! They had a great pool bar, and they brought out Sushi at night! My husband and I were upgraded to a suite for our honeymoon. The social scene was pretty cool. There were lots of things to do and the view was nice. It's a very romantic island, and we went on a tour of the Volcano and the Hot Springs. Very interesting, but you definitely need to wear sneakers and bring bottled water! We booked through Travel2Greece.com, and our honeymoon was the most amazing trip we'd ever been on. This hotel gets an A+++!"

• Travel date: 13th December 2007

Beautiful views, a little over pricey

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"The location of the hotel is great and the views are incredible. To be fair though, it would be very hard to get a bad view on this island but relaxing by the swimming pool taking it all in cannot be missed. Having been to Santorini a few times i can say their pool is much superior as is the poolside area to a lot of other hotels on the island due to its spaciousness. As a personal preference, i like to be slightly out of Thira and all the noise but close enough to get in very easily. Imirovigly is a great choice but the Rocabella is just down a hill from there so next time would stay in central Imirovigly as a little easier with shops and supermarkets close by. The staff were very efficient and worked very hard and the breakfast (although slated in other reviews) is a lot better than most greek breakfasts as it offeredhot foods also. My only complaint would be the price. Personally i think the rooms are overpriced , we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite but i do not think they are worth what they are charging. Having said that, Santorini is not a cheap island so you get what you pay for. If you want a romanted and quiet hotel with a fabulous pool and views for sheer relaxation i would definately recommend it."

• Travel date: 21st September 2006

Hated the Rooms, Stay Somewhere Else

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"ROCABELLA, SANTORINI, MINUTE SIZE ROOMS-STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE Families MUST have 2 rooms. We have two teenage children and were told that a 4 person apartment would be sufficient. I read the reviews and was prepared for a small bathroom(the size of a phone booth), I brought my own shampoo and even my own wash cloth. Nothing prepared me for the size of the room ,even prior european trips. Upon arrival, they showed us to a room which had a jacuzzi overlooking both the pool and the caldera. I had had my concerns before we arrived and asked our travel agent who had no prior complaints and she had used this property before. When they unlocked the door we walked into a very small sitting area(all 4 of us could not sit at the same time). Straight ahead was a glass door into the bathroom. It was somewhat smoked but you could see thru the glass and the toilet was right in front of the door. Although we are a close family, none of us care to be seen as we sit on the toilet. There was also a small staircase to the sleeping area below with 3 beds. My daughter claimed the bed below the stairs as her "Anne Frank" bed. My son and I slept on 2 twin beds. The couch upstairs had to be removed to bring in a twin size cot for my 6'2" husband! They were very nice and moved us to another room for our second and third nights. That room was better but the standard size bed for my husband and me was up against the wall so that I had to crawl over him if I needed to get up in the middle of the night. Lucky for both of us, he was so warm in this portion of the room that he slept on the sunbed next to the pool the first night and I slept in the computer room the third night because I woke up with a panic attack being wedged between my husband and the wall. Yes the people are nice, the view is nice but I would never compromise my sleep accommodations when you want to be rested each day so that you can enjoy the area. This is not a cheap property. The only way I would ever come back here is if we booked 2 rooms and chances are I would gamble trying another hotel with a higher trip advisor rating. Do not take a chance with this property."

• Travel date: 19th September 2006

Avoid room 31 / superior suite at all cost

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"We stayed for four nights at Rocabella in a superior suite, naively thinking that paying over 700 euro a night would mean we avoid some of the usses with rooms described in the previous (negative) reviews. Unfortunately, we were badly mistaken and came away feeling we had been massively over-charged. If you must stay at Rocabella, please avoid the superior suite category and in particular room 31 at all costs. As other reviews mention, the staff are extremely helpful and welcoming; the view from the hotel is great (as for all hotels on the Santorini caldera) and the pool area is very funky. The restaurant has zero atmosphere (and does not stock rose wine!) and the 10 euro breakfast is mediocre. However, most importantly, the suites themselves leave a lot to be desired. The superior suites have a large living area and dining area. However, you will not want to spend any time in there, since you will have no natural light anywhere in the suite. The reason is that room 31's windows (including the solitary, tiny window in the small bedroom) look out directly onto one of the hotel pools, with the windows bizarrely at foot level. This means that you must keep the blinds down at all times, to avoid constant views of feet walking past outside, or other guests lying on sun loungers three feet away from your windows, looking straight into your room. The bathroom is cramped, with no shower curtain, and a constant smell of sewage, as described elsewhere. You will not want to use the jazcuzzi - as soon as you turn it on, it emits a particularly pungent smell of eggs. Room 31 also has no terrace - you open the front door straight onto a pool. The bed is also exceptionally uncomfortable. All in all, you will not want to spend any time in this "suite", and if anything the quality seems lower than the lowest priced rooms at Rocabella (which at least have their own terrace). It seems that the only reason room 31 is classed as superior is due to the king size bed (not that Europeans typically care about bed sizes). I have stayed in many hotels around the world costing well over 1,000 euro a night, and can honestly say this room offered the worst value I have ever come across. Having also stayed at other properties in Santorini, I would say an appropriate value for Rocabella's superior suites is closer to 200 euro a night."

• Travel date: 5th September 2006

Great

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"This a great hotel with a stunning view on the island. The surrounding atmosphere is very quiet which is very nice compare to the buzz of the cities. Being used to 4/5 stars hotels in Asia, I know what service means and I have to say that I've been pretty amazed by the level of this hotel. The welcome is just over the top, and the service is overall very good, even though it could be sometimes faster around the pool area during day time. Greg"

• Travel date: 23rd August 2006

excellent hotel

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Rocabella Suites for 4 nights in August. We truly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and found that all the staff was very helpful and kind. We loved the location since we were looking for some r and r. Our only disappointment was the size of the room. I loved the decor but we felt very cramped. Also, comparing cost and size did not seem to match. After 3 weeks in Greece, and this hotel being the most expensive, we had the smallest room. It was probably the smallest room we ever had in all our travels but after I discussed my concerns with the front desk, we were upgraded at no extra charge. We were very grateful as we had a little more space and it was more comparable to what we would normally expect. We would stay again as the staff made our stay great but I would now know what to expect and what type of room to ask for."

• Travel date: 21st August 2006

Amazing view, OK hotel

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"My family of five stayed at the hotel in June. My wife and I booked a suite, my three kids (all adults) stayed in a three person apartment. The view from the hotel is spectacular! The layout of the rooms, pools, and amenities is somewhat eclectic but we liked it very much. We loved the trail in front of the hotel that led to fira and oia. A few of the downsides, our room had the same musty smell that others have posted about. Our A/C did not work which should not have been much of a problem with the constant breeze but it invited flies into the room by the score. One night my wife and I went out to dinner and when our kids ordered dinner by the pool they were told they would have to wait because the kitchen was serving a function. My sons bed bed was so hard he slept on the couch. I liked the hotel and the view, most of the staff was nice, but it was not worth over 600 euros a night for our suite."

• Travel date: 8th August 2006

Disappointing Rocabella

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We arrived in Santorini in the early evening, just in time to watch our first sunset. Our first impressions of the hotel were very high. The staff were very helpful and the communal areas were beautiful. We were gob smacked by the views and my wife was grinning from ear to ear. However, when we were shown into our room we were terribly shocked. The room was well below our expectations; it was dark (very limited natural light because of only one small window which overlooked the car park), basic and the bathroom was so small it was almost unusable. I must have asked the hotel staff about five times whether a mistake had been made with our room. It would not be an exaggeration to compare our room to a budget motorway hotel room, so we felt a bit cheated given that the studio costs top Euros and comparable in price to other hotels on the Island like Katikies and Sun Rocks, which were fully booked. Other things which we would expect to find in “luxurious accommodation” were absent – a safe, a closet to hang up your clothes, and a reasonable sized television (the one provided was the type you find in a hospital mounted to the wall!) The lady who showed us to our room was very helpful and we were moved into another room for our second night which was an improvement but still way below our original expectations. We were on our honeymoon and the room they offered us only had two single beds. The bath was half sized; the type which only allows you to sit only. It was located under a staircase so it was not possible to stand in the bathtub to take a shower. It did have a lovely balcony overlooking the Caldera which was fantastic for watching the sun set in the evenings. Overall we enjoyed our holiday in Santorini. The Island really is a magical place. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel if booking into a Rocabella “studio”. We stayed in room 16."

• Travel date: 1st August 2006

Rocabella: The Pros and Cons

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at Rocabella for four days in July. When we arrived, the notified us that they had "overbooked" us for the night. We were told that we would be sent to a smaller hotel down the road for the evening and, in exchange for their error, they offered each of us one spa treatment and an upgraded room on our return. Now, while I believe "overbooking" shouldn't become an issue in the computer age, they did handle it professionally by offering to compensate us for our time. When we arrived the other hotel, we were put up in a suite (it had two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a dining room). This hotel was "charming" but too small for a four day trip. The next day, Rocabella picked us back up and led us to our new room, which was one of their suites. It had a living room, small kitchen, dining room, separate bedroom, and large bathroom. ( I understand that this is NOT the typical room). As for the room, it was always clean and yes, there may be a funky smell in the bathroom, but that is because in Europe, MANY bathrooms DON'T have shower curtains (Yes, it is true...why, I'll never know) and therefore, they expect the water to pass through the drain in the middle of the bathroom. Stagnant water can get funky sometimes, but it was never to the point that it smelled like a sewer (referencing the previous post). Changing gears, the people there were always nice. Anytime we needed a cab or a booking, they did it for us. Furthermore, they all spoke English very well (one of them is a young American-Greek from Boston). The breakfast there was not as great as the other hotels we stayed at in Greece and for 15 euros per person, not worth the money but since it was included in our trip, we ate there every day. Finally, the location can be a pro or con depending upon your perspective. The hotel is located midway between Fira and Oia. Unless you like walking A LOT, I and I mean ALOT (talking miles), you need to take either a bus, cab, or rental car to get around. A cab to Oia is 12 Euro and to Fira 5 Euro. The bus runs past the hotel to Oia and from Oia to Fira, but waiting on the side of the road wasn't what we wanted to do. However, coming back from Oia on the bus, if you tell the driver you want him to stop at Rocabella, he will do so, hence saving you about 9 Euro on the return trip (the bus is 1.10 or 1.50 Euro each trip and FYI, all buses begin and end in Fira). So basically, if you want to be away from both towns, and don't mind paying taxis or waiting for buses, Rocabella is in a perfect location (with a perfect view of the Caldera). However, if you would rather just be in the town and not worry about how to get home (the last bus from Oia is at 11:30 and getting a cab after that is VERY difficult), you may want to stay closer to one of the towns (I recommend Oia). Well, that is my two cents. Overall, we had a pleasant experience and would recommend to others."

• Travel date: 29th July 2006

Overrated. Nasty Smell, Power Outages, Broken Shower

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"The only thing this hotel has going for it is the view. The pool area is the perfect place to watch the amazing views (if you can get one of 10 lounge chairs available and if they actually had towels available). That said, the room was definitely not luxurious. The shower head was broken and they didn't fix it until the following day. After noticing a nasty smell in the room, we finally realized it was coming from the drain in the floor of the bathroom. It reeked of raw sewage! During our stay, the power kept cutting off. At first we thought it was just our room but it turned out that it was the entire hotel. At dinner, we had to endure the lights and music going off and on. It was very annoying! When we complained to the staff, their response was that power outages were common in Santorini. This isn't true since one of the people in our group is an event planner and has done many events in Santorini. She said this never happened at other properties. As for the restaurant located in the pool area, it was average, at best. The food was okay and the service was mediocre. As for the beds in this "luxury" hotel, they were rock hard. I definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel. Considering we paid luxury prices, we definitely didn't get luxury accommodations or service."

• Travel date: 28th July 2006

fab staff and pools,shame about the rooms!

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"We stayed at Rocabella for one night because the Santorini Princess, where we planned to spend the rest of the week, was fully booked. It all looked good in reception, modern and stylish and the girl who greeted us could not have been sweeter, friendlier or more charming. She gave us a tour of the hotel on the way to our room, again everthing looked great - beautiful view, two lovely pools in a very stylish and chilled setting, everything very modern and clean. Then we got to our room and what a disappointment. Tiny, with a small sitting area downstairs and then bunk bed type steps up to a mezzanine sleeping area. At 5'2" my head just cleared the ceiling but my partner had to stoop badly, and navigating the almost vertical stairs to visit the bathroom in the night was very precarious. The bathroom was tiny and pretty grotty, although the toiletries were great. The worst thing though was the decor! Despite relaxing minimalism throughout the public areas of the hotel, all the rooms (at our end of the complex at least) had a loud, lurid signature print on everything from the curtains to the cushions to the bedcover. This gave the impression of being wrapped in a big, tacky shower curtain - completely at odds with the beauty and serenity of the setting. Accomodation wise this is at best a three star hotel, but seems to charge five star prices. The Santorini Princess is in a similar price bracket but is in a different league altogether. We were very relieved that we only had a night at Rocabella, a great shame as it looked so promising in theory and the staff could really not have been friendlier."

• Travel date: 28th July 2006