Hotel Mathios Village

• pets allowed
  • tv channel one russia

Santorini May Vacation

Reviewed Thu 12th of May 2016

"Had the absolute best time of my life. Rooms are lovely and very, very well maintained. Staff is extremely friendly, welcoming and professional. The tips on activities and sightings are great and the staff is beyond helpful. Mathios Village is in a very beautiful area and the price to rent a car is very affordable. You should have no trouble having a great time on the Island. The location is perfect for both a relaxing vacation as well as an outgoing one. Try the food in the hotel. Quality is just amazing. Local organic products which make for extraordinary dishes. I am absolutely going back, a lot! Thank you for making my stay so much fun in the most beautiful place I have ever seen."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of May 2016

What a Treat!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Mathios Village is in the sleepy little town of Akrotiri, far from the hustle and bustle of Thira or Oia. My daughter and I chose it for a mellow, once in a lifetime vacation, and we weren't disappointed. The hotel itself is beautiful, with two pools, beautiful flowering plants, and a view of both the caldera and the sea. Our room had a sleeping loft, a couch that pulled out into a double bed, its own bathroom and a balcony with a view to the caldera. Breakfast was simple but substantial: marvelous yogurt with honey and or fruit, buttery greek cookies, greek bread, cereals, meat and cheese, and coffee or tea. There is also a restaurant and a pool bar with good food and even better help--Dennis took great care of us, even helping me to get ice for a sprained ankle, not something you expect to need help with on vacation!

I had read about Kostas the manager on other postings, and can only say that in his dealings with us, he was kind and helpful, giving us really good advice about travel around the island, and suggesting a sunset boat cruise that was the highlight of the trip. I suspect that like many things in life, what you give is what you get. We respected his knowledge of the island and it's ways, in turn he respected us as patrons. We didn't expect special treatment but were met with it at every turn!

This was my first experience with booking a hotel on-line, and I am thrilled that the real life experience was even better than the "words and pictures". While it is true the place is beautiful, the real beauty lies in the helpful nature of the staff: Thanks again Kostas, Dennis, Kassily, Christina: you made our stay not only enjoyable, but memorable as well!"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

Unpleasant Experience at Mathios Village

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"I cannot echo the other posters' positive comments for Hotel Mathios Village. Indeed, of the 5 other hotels I stayed at in Athens and the islands, my experience at Hotel Mathios Village was by far the worst. In order to fully explain to others why I feel the way I do, I will enumerate the reasons, below:

1) Hotel Staff: The hotel staff was unfriendly and hostile. I was yelled at by the lady at the front desk as well as by Kostas. I specifically booked a room with two double beds. This was exactly the same type of room I booked at the other 5 hotels I attended. However, at Hotel Mathios Village, I was given a single double bed (for two unmarried persons). When I asked Kostas about this, I was yelled at. He brought out a hard copy of the form I filled out online and showed me how I was incorrect. I was told that I was privileged to stay in a superior room as opposed to a standard room (with the only difference being that the superior room is on the second floor, and that one must tow one's luggage to the second floor without the assistance of an elevator). Also, the front office/lobby closes at 9:00 in the evening. Calls will be still be answered till 11:00 at night. If one expects a call after 11:00 at night (say from the US which is between 7-10 hours behind Greek time), calls must be received before this time.

2) Hotel Facilities: After the first night, we were placed in a much better room. However, the first room we stayed in left much to be desired. The biggest problem was the shower. The temperature of the water switched every 5-7 seconds between scalding hot and icey cold. I have traveled all over the world and have stayed in some pretty lackluster places, but I must say that this shower ranks as one of the most unpleasant of my entire life. Again, though my second room was better, the first room was terrible. The room was exceedingly tiny (we had to move a luggage stand/table just to have room to fully slide open the bathroom door), and the walls were paper thin. Also note that there is no gift shop (the hotel advertises that they have one). While the hotel did have one in the past, it is now only an empty room.

3) Breakfast: The hotel breaksfast was terrible. Unlike the 5 other hotels (of supposedly equal star quality), the breakfast contained relatively few choices and started later. Breakfast began at 8:00 (unlike the usual 7:00 or 7:30). There was no drinking water available, and little to no fresh fruit was provided. While these things by themselves are not terrible in the slightest, the lack of alternative food choices left the breakfast wanting.

4) Misc.: I do want to say that the hotel grounds and pools are as beautiful as they appear on the website. This, in my opinion, was the hotel's only saving grace. Beware , however, that they close by 9:00 at night!!

Santorini is a terrific island. I will definitely return to the island, just not to Hotel Mathios Village."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

A Gem

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"My wife, daughter and I chose this wonderful hotel to re-unite in the middle of my overseas tour. I found this place one day while looking for a place to spend a couple of weeks.
I was worried about it as I couldn't find many reviews online, much to my delight this hotel was better than anything I could imagine.
The room was beautifully maintained, and always clean. We found the staff extremely friendly, Kostas was wonderful. He welcomed us as into his home.
The grounds and pools were lovingly maintained, Matthew and Vasilie were always puttering around and sincerely seemed to love what they do. They always had a smile for us and a big wave. The food was excellent, we had included our suppers in the price and thus were subject to the wonders of Mama's cooking. We were always wondering what delicacy we were going to have that night.

I have to mention Dennis the fella that worked the bar, my daughter turned 13 while we were there and the staff made her feel very special. Dennis decorated a nice piece of Baclava and everyone one sang her happy birthday. The sincerity of the event left me with the feeling that these people took family seriously. They always had nice words for her and a kindness that was genuine.

I strongly recommend this place for anyone who wants to experience Greece with their family, stay there, spend the time to get to know the staff as more than just the people that work in the hotel. This truly for us was the trip of a lifetime spent in the company of some of the warmest people I have met abroad. The only bad thing was I had to leave my family and head back to the desert for another two months!

Cheers."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of August 2006

Chilling Out At The Volcano

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We have just returned from a two week stay at Villa Mathios on Santorini and would happily support all of the good things already written by other reviewers. This is an excellent destination.

Our rooms were pool-side and yet entirely peaceful throughout our stay. The hotel is beautifully put together and well maintained at all times by friendly and caring staff.

Staying longer we relaxed more and found time to meet and get to know the island, Kostas, his family, and his team all of whom work really hard pretty much all of the time to make your stay a happy one.

We opted to take dinner at the hotel from time to time and always found the food to be freshly made, simple, yet delicious - Mama's home cooking was always a welcome option.

When at the hotel we relaxed pool-side where there are plenty of sunbeds and different locations to relax. In the evening we'd typically end the day with a couple of drinks at the pool bar served by Ioannis who makes the bar and pool-side areas welcoming at all times.

I guess there are several different types of room - our own rooms were comfortable, spacious, and clean. The amenities are all there as promised although with teenagers check for a DVD in the room. It would be a good idea for the hotel to provide an internet cafe area. Happily our kids came attached to iPod's and didn't seem too unhappy to be talking over dinner as a family group!!

With teenagers on Santorini, it is important to hire a car - a jeep is better - so that you can break out and hit even the most remote locations.

Great Holiday - Congratulations to Kostas and his family."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of July 2006

Expectations Exceeded

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"We were on our honeymoon and this was our first trip outside the US so we did not know what to expect. We found Hotel Mathios on Trip Advisor's site. We read the reviews posted, checked out the hotel's web site and spoke with Kostas before ultimatly selecting Hotel Mathios. The hotel, its rooms, and the pools are just a beautiful in person as they appear on the web site. Our room was very clean and comfortable. In fact, some days we spent the entire day relaxing in it. As the title of this review indicates, our expectations were exceeded. We From the instant we arrived at Hotel Mathios, we were treated as family rather than just another customer.

It is important to note that we felt that we got everything the owner and the web sited promised.

We will be back again.

Keith & Rushell Hopkins
Estero, FL"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

Excellent accommodation on a special island

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"We have just returned (4/7/06) from a week's holiday in Santorini. It is a very special island and our stay was made even better by the way that we were looked after in the Mathios Village.
The Hotel is located on the quieter part of the island. We had car hire (try Kostas's travel agency for the best deals rather than booking through the multinationals) but Thira is within easy reach by a regular and convenient bus service if you are not keen on driving abroad.
The rooms were clean and well maintained with the usual TV, refrigerator etc.
The hotel is family run and it certainly makes a difference to the way you are welcomed and looked after.
If you stay at this hotel (and you should) then don't miss out on Dennis the barman's Strawberry Daiquiris which are fabulous.
We intend to return to this hotel when next in Santorini"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of July 2006

A very nice experience

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We traveled as a couple (mid forties). We found the Villa Mathios to be exactly as we had hoped. It was a beautiful spot on the quiet end of Santorini. The place was extremely well kept and beautiful, with an abundace of blooming flowers. The website pictures are not at all an exaggeration. We snapped several pictures around the place that were equally as beautiful. From our balcony we had a view off the southern shore where other islands could be seen in the distance. We have "postcard" shots of a four masted cruiser "hovering" above the rooftops of the opposite rooms. We travelled to other parts of the island on a rented scooter. There are quiet backroads to most locations. A note of caution to North Americans: If you are nervous about motorbikes, rent a car as the local drivers are more agressive then what you are used to. The hotel (Villa Mathios) houses the local travel agency and was able to provide a vehicle with short notice. All local excursions could also be arranged. The pricing for the Travel services was slightly inflated when compared to going direct (not for everything though) but we felt it was fair. We were on vacation and a few percent extra was worth the saved time and convenience. I should mention the pool bar which was fantastic. There were no big noisy crowds and you could get anything (within reason) to drink along with good quality snacks that would suffice for a meal. The setting was quite stunning. I ended up tipping the bar tender/waiter there 20 EUR as he was so intent on pleasing us. In all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to anyone, epecially if they prefer a quiet, "get out and do things" holiday. In fact the only complaint we had was that the beds were perhaps a little too hard for our liking but that just not what we're used to. Enjoy."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of July 2006

Spotless and AWESOME

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Mathios Village in the mid May06 timeframe. The hotel is perfectly located away from the congestion. The room was spotless.
The room included a TV, refrig, phone, alarm clock, a/c with a remote control, separate bathroom with shower. We were in Italy prior to Santorini and want to point out that while the shower is small by American standards, it was huge compared to the Italians. The room had a balcony with an AWESOME View of the pool and hotel grounds.
Kostas (the hotel manager) had just returned from Athens, he was there for the birth of his daughter, and he was frantically trying to catch up with emails and spent time making sure the guests were satisfied. His mother and father run the restuarant and they offer some great meals.
I would definitely stay at the Mathios Village again!!! No doubt, it was spotless, offered full amenities at a terrific price.

cheers,
Greg"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

40 years of marriage

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at this beautiful hotel in May of this year. It was everything we had hoped for and more, the hotel staff were all very friendly, especially Christine who always greeted us with a smile We swam in the pool everyday and it was kept spotlessly clean, and very relaxing just to sit by the pool and soak up the sun. Our room was cleaned daily and linen changed every other day, the restaurant served some delicious meals, we had planned half board for the first week and then b/b for our 2nd week, but because we enjoyed our meals so much opted for balf board for 2nd week as well. Santorini is a magical place and the views are breathtaking. We were sorry to miss Kostas, he was in Athens as his wife had just delivered a new baby daughter (hope they are both well). I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Santorini for the warm and friendly welcome that was made to my husband and I. I was so sad toleave and would love to go back!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 7th of June 2006

If you don't speak Greek, you'd better stay with family!

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"My wife and I just returned from 13 days in Greece. Fortunately, we spent most of it on Santorini at Hotel Mathios Village. We chose the hotel based entirely on internet research and e-mail conversation with Kostas, the owner and manager, and we could not have chosen a better place. The hotel is just as beautiful as the photos on its web site! Kostas is also a travel agent, so he can arrange anything you might need on the island or in transit. We booked a package with him that included a car for 4 of our 8 days, and it was a great decision, allowing us to see the entire island. Akrotiri is on the south end of Santorini, away from the towns of Oia and Fira. This is perfect if you want to avoid the crowds of tourists that flood in from cruise ships. The hotel is within a hot walk of the gorgeous Red Beach, and you can take the local bus service into town if you don't rent a car. Just up the road is a terrific restaurant called Mama Thira, and next door is a small grocery with snacks, wine, and water. Kostas is on site almost every day, and he works hard. His mother cooks while his father oversees the dining room, and they are warm, generous hosts. The lamb with orzo, soups, and salads are particularly delicious. We stayed in a traditional suite overlooking the pool, and it was very comfortable, although the stairs to the loft were steep. The room was designed to create a cool breeze flowing through, and the balcony was great. Although the shower is very small, we found everything clean and relaxing. Our room also had a DVD player (with free movies at the front desk) and a refrigerator. The pool bar can be expensive if you're careless, but it's convenient and friendly, serving tasty snack food. We saved a great deal of money by staying just before high season started on June 1, and it was a terrific decision. Although the sea was still quite chilly, it warmed while we were there, and the weather was cool in the evenings. The heat must be blistering in July and August! When we return to Santorini, one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited, we plan to stay at Hotel Villa Mathios again, and we recommend it enthusiastically to anyone who wants to go to an island to relax. It is some distance from any night life, but it is the perfect escape for a couple or a family. And whatever they tell you in travel guides, the sunset is gorgeous no matter where you watch it. Other tips- visit the wineries, go to Cafe Stani in Fira, there's nothing to do in Therissia, stay out of churches unless you're clothed properly, and ask if the ruins at Akrotiri are open."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of June 2006

Hotels near Hotel Mathios Village

Top traveller tips for Hotel Mathios Village

• Sarah K by Sarah K

"Rent a small car and explore this beautiful place. "

Hotel Mathios Village is also called