Soula Studios

Stalis, Crete Greece

Good

As an ardent Greek freak, meaning we go...

"As an ardent Greek freak, meaning we go to Greece every year, I guess I've stayed in many different styles of accomodation over the past 25 years. This year we went to the Soula studios. We've been to Stalis roughly 5 times in the past and have always had a wondeful time. I knew where the Soula studios were located before we booked but was unsure how close to the amenities we would be. I have to say that we were conveniently positioned just off the main stretch with only a 5 minute walk to the centre.
The track that leads to the beach road is a bit rough especially in the evening when the whole area is pitch black, so I would advise you take a torch with you.
The apartments were very clean and as a bonus we stayed in the new block which were probably the best we've ever stayed in, very modern, comfortable beds, clean and well equiped. The accomodation overall was fantastic, although the pool was extremely cold even in the afternoon and that's why I haven't given a rating of 10.
The bar area is cool and tidy and there's a well stocked shelf of every kind of tipple. Most of all the bar staff was brilliant -- George and my family go back quite some years although we wasn't aware he was working there -- it was quite a surprise!
The food is excellent, the greek evening was very entertaining and worth all of the 10 euros we paid each. The breakfasts were very good, they use British bacon and more than worth 2.90 Euro's.
I would have no hesitation in going back and I have to say that it is now my most favourite choice of studios in Stalis.

• Travel date: Fri 12th of September 2008

What a great holiday! There are two pa...

"What a great holiday!
There are two parts to the Soula Studios, the original accomodation and the newer block. I stayed in the older block overlooking the pool, it was clean and well maintained and I believe they are due for refubishment in the next twelve months. The room was cleaned twice in the week I stayed but do take your own loo roll (you get one on arrival regardless of the length of your stay) and extra towels as you only get one clean towel when the room is cleaned. The pool and pool area was very clean, there were plenty of loungers, the bar and restaurant area was also cleaned and staff were friendly and accomodating.
Stalis and Malia (5 mins drive/30 mins walk to Malia) both provide a variety of entertainment with restaurants, pubs and clubs. I found if very useful that Thomas Cook provided information on the pubs and clubs to go to and those to avoid. Thomas Cook provide a range of trips and although the 'Chrissi Island' trip is a little pricey it is well worth it, a fantastically beautiful place for sun-lovers! The Italian restaurant 'Amici' in Stalis is also well worth a visit, my friend and I, unfortunately, only found it on the last night!"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

Our holiday to stalis was the best eva.....

"Our holiday to stalis was the best eva...Soula was so friendly with a fantastic atmosphere....George was great and We liked that everyone spoke english unlike sum places...... The rooms were clean and alll the staff were friendly...food was nice and pool was peaceful..what else do ye need! There was 6 of us on this holiday an no1 was dissapointed there was something for everyone in Stalis!! The surrounding area of Soula was also fantastic. Who needs Malia wenn theres Stalis....And Bar Bliss was amazinn!! Drunken Nights we will never forget wen we eventually remember dem! :D....Recommended to all ages and we will definately b bakk nxt year. :D"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of August 2008

this was a brilliant holiday. there were...

"this was a brilliant holiday. there were 8 of us staying for 2 weeks. we are in our 20s and there was lots to do. 2 of us were staying in the new apartments and the other 6 in the older ones. I prefered the older apartments as you got a great view to the pool and the sea from the balconies.

the staff were really friendly. georgios the night barman was really friendly and arranged for us to be cooked a greek meal on our last night.

the rooms were cleaned every couple of days which included bed sheets and fresh towels.

the pool bar was brilliant and the food was delicious and well prices-try the chilli burgers!! there were always plenty of sun loungers for those who wanted to sit by the pool, thres apool table and tvs showing football etc.

the bbq which is held on a sunday was great value and the food was delicious. this involves greek dancing which you need to participate in! and also a quiz and karaoke. was great fun:)

stalis is good too. the beach was lovely except had a bad experience with sea urchins. 6 of us stood in them.

the restaurants in stalis were great aswell, particularly EL GRECOS!! which is the restaurant facing you when you walk to the end of the dirt path. whenever you walk down you will hear the man standing outside (who we named greco) saying "hello friends" and always remembered you when you walked past. food was great and well proced.

we onl;y went into malia once for a comedy night ad was really busy but everything you need is in stalis.

I would recommend the soula studios. the most friendly place ive ever been and I wouldnt mind going back next year.

• Travel date: Thu 21st of August 2008

This was the best holiday I have been to...

"This was the best holiday I have been to so far. There was 12 of us who came out and all the people were amazing and also everyone was really friendly so hopefully I will be see in you next year."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of August 2008

was worried about going here after some...

"was worried about going here after some coments but hol was basic but very clean we were in old block great sea and pool veiw always got a sunbed only back ground music very peaceful all ages were there food was great and staff freindly would def go back only down side had to buy own loo roll"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of August 2008

Just returned from the Soula Studios and...

"Just returned from the Soula Studios and can honestly say that George and the lovely Yannis who work very hard behind the bar made our holiday all the more enjoyable . They are always friendly and nothing is too much trouble . We stayed in one of the older studio apartments facing the pool , the room was very clean and the cleaners always changed the bedding and towels every 2-3 days. The BBQ is 12 euros on a Sunday night with traditional greek dancing afterwards and it is worth it ..

It was out first visit to Stalis and compared to other places this time of year, some of the bars were pretty quiet ... Hersonnissos is a taxi ride away for 8 - 10 euro's and is worth a visit , loads of shops and night life.

In Stalis, all the restaurants we went to were really good apart from one called Hovelia , it's a really small restaurant on the main Stalis strip on the beach side try to avoid this one - awful !
The Soula studios are a great place to stay - all the staff there are really friendly and would not hesitate to recommend the Soula to anyone. "

• Travel date: Sun 10th of August 2008

first impression is my god what have we...

Good

"first impression is my god what have we done but on entering chris showed us to our room very freindly, food was nice,and very reasonable a breakfast for 2.5 euros tou carnt really moan, we had anew apartment round the back very modern with a shower cubicle room was clean apart from under the bed they only give you one towel each which have to last 2/3 days , but we asked the made for clean ones and their was no problems george is very friendly ,but apart from the bbq night their is no other entertaiment the the bbq night is well worth 12 euros but be prepared to join in the fun after all you are on holiday in stalis we went top el crecos lovely food and the brittania never had a bad meal first time in crete but wont be my last "

• Travel date: Sat 9th of August 2008

Self catering this is not! The bare mi...

"Self catering this is not! The bare minimum to entice you but not even a corkscrew. They expect you to eat their not very apetising food. Full breakfast for 2.5 euros is worth trying once.
Like all of cretan hotels, the loud music at the pool seems to be compulsory, all day and all night.... but cheap and clean, so worth a budget visit. Watch out for the cockraoch that avoided capture. If you like tellies, there are three in the bar, one shows sport 24 hours a day. Friendly, yes, but not if you hire a car and do your own thing - you are taking your money elsewhere."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of August 2008

We had one of the apartments in the new...

"We had one of the apartments in the new block, and found it to be very spacious and modernly furnished. The bathroom was more than adequate; very clean and with a fully fitted shower cubicle that had plastic sliding doors.

Apartments are very clean, the maid comes around once every 2-3 days. You do have to supply your own toilet roll after the first 2 freebies, but that is to be expected in Greece.

The people staying are Soula were of a variety of ages, from young and older couples, small groups of young girls and lads. It was never that noisy at night.

The beach can be reached by walking down a short dirt track, which literally takes about 5 minutes. However we found that the cleanest part of the beach was just further down the road (past the anthousa), operated by this guy called Franco (6 euros for two sun loungers and parasols), so we returned to that part of the beach most days (about a 10minute walk)

The main lively bars in Stalis are Bar Bliss and Rhythm, which are dancing bars, mostly with R&B etc and open until late. There is also a place called Yo-Yo that is opposite Bar Bliss that is an indie bar. Also some very nice cocktail bars that look out onto the bach or sea, that are good to chill out in. Sofokles further along the strip( in the Malia direction), is a big neon lit cocktail bar, with swinging hamocks, that is good to visit.

As for restaurants I would recommend the Satellite Pub ('The only Welsh Mexican in Crete'). They do huge portions..enchiladas, chimichangas, nachos, mexican steak,guacamole, stuffed avacadoes, fajitas......etc. At around 10 they also have 'The Big Fat Idiots Quiz', which seemed a lot better than any of the other pub quizzes in the surrounding pubs(which tended to be just 20mins of quick fire questions, with not much else thrown in). But beware if you come joint first and have to do the tie breaker!
El Greco is also good, and there is a Chinese buffet style restaurant just opposite this too.

Stalis all in all is very nice, it is much more scenic and pretty than Malia, and has its own bit of nightlife, but not so much that its permanently in your face. But it is close enough to Malia so that if you want a few big nights then it's straightforward (20mins to walk there, or 4mins taxi there for 8 euros). Also Hersonissos is in the other direction (Although I wouldn't try to walk there again, took us forever. Taxi again is 8 euroes). Hersonissos is a slightly older crowd than Malia (Probably early 20's verses Malia's 16-18 feel), and also seemed to have a majority of non english people. It is however quite scenic. 'Star Beach' is a kind of purpose built resort, with water slides and people bungee jumping etc. But is quite lively and a good alternative if you're looking for some older nightlife than the Malia experience.

I would also recommend getting a quad bike, you can get some good deal if you want one for a number of days, however we got one for a single day and it ended up at about 60euros (intitally they say 20 euros, then add insurance, then offer to fill it up....and charge you double for the petrol you could have just bought from the station your self). This is a good way of seeing some more of the island though, you can drive to Malia and onwards to Sissi which is a very pictureesque place, and although they give you restrictions on how far they allow you to go, you could probably easily go a lot further than this with no probs."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of August 2008

This was our first trip to a Greek Islan...

"This was our first trip to a Greek Island but won't be our last. We were also in one of the new apartments with our balcony on the side. These new ones are very spacious with fantastic bathrooms for Greek standards(we stayed with friends who have visited quite a few other Greek Islands, and were amazed at the quality at Soula). The air conditioning is 5 euros/night and worth it. The food served in the bar area is excellent and served quickly and always fresh.
All the family are very friendly and George, the bar manager, very attentitive with a welcoming smile. He is very helpful and can give you little tips about the area.
We also took up the offer of the sunbeds, umbrellas at Dwyers but were conscious that the parasols were very thin and like a net which did not protect you from the sun's rays. The beach at the bottom of the little path have better more protective cover. We found a nice restaurant further into Stalis, ask George the name, (think it's called Kotsos) it is the one where the two sisters are waitress', he recommended it to us, the food was very good, and when I asked about the "Specials" was given a tour of the kitchen to have a look at everything they were cooking.
Turn right at the end of the little path and call for a drink at Soflokes, they have these amazing swinging chairs!
There are lots of other Greek islands we would like to visit but will also return to Soula Studios

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of July 2008

myself and three friends spect a week at...

"myself and three friends spect a week at soula studios, we had a great time the apartments are very basic with no shower curtain so the whole room gets wet and you have to provide your own toilet roll! george was fantastic he made us all feel welcome making any cocktail we ordered!! the bbq was a good night with some greek danceing and great food. we didnt want to leave had a fab time."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of June 2008

Hotels near Soula Studios

Stayed at Soula Studios? Share your insight.