Neon Hotel

Nik. Grammatikaki St., Stalis, Crete 700 07 Greece

Good

Comfortable

Reviewed Thu 8th of October 2009

"The lift was a nightmare. No room for luggage and people at the same time. Rooms were basic but clean. You only use them as a base anyway. The staff were always courteous but a bit reserved. Having said that on the last day we were due to be picked up at 11.30pm. We enquired about renting a room to keep our luggage in and to get changed and have a shower. The owner told us we could keep our rooms for the day at no extra charge!!!! Can you imagine that happening in Spain. I don't think so! Breakfast ended a little early at 09.30 and was adequate. We liked to go out at about 10.30 so we used to go to the Rovers Return pub. You get a fantastic full english for less than 4 Euros, sat in the shade by the sea. A no frills accomdation that did not spoil what was a fantastic holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of October 2009

Staff accused us of theft - terrifying

Reviewed Sat 25th of October 2008

"Avoid this hotel. On the second day of our stay here, we moved rooms and found a carrier bag in the fridge containing two beers and some yoghurts left by the previous occupants, which we put in our packed lunch. Half an hour later, the bar manager burst into our room, stuck his head in the fridge and started screaming at the top of his voice. It took five minutes of him screaming for me in Greek to work out that he was after the beers. When I realised what he was talking about, I handed them to him - at which point he went utterly balistic. I thought he was going to attack me (my wife was now frightened to tears and I was half in shock) - he chased me around the room howling with aggression, then grabbed the phone and started yelling 'police' and several other words which I later found out to be fairly disgusting insults. All I could do was plead for him to fetch someone who spoke English. Eventually he stamped out with the beers.

It sounds fairly comical but it was actually terrifying - I don't speak Greek and I really did think I was going to get hit or fitted up for a crime. The beers had clearly been left as rubbish and we'd been handed the keys to the room. Were we supposed to have taken the bag downstairs and handed it over? Even if we were (and we weren't) the treatment we recieved from this man was unbelievable. We went to the manager, who shrugged and told us that the guy was his brother and he was tired. We ended up avoiding the whole back area of the hotel (with the pool) where the bar was for the rest of the holiday because the man was downright threatening.

There are plenty of hotels in the area and I can't recommend strongly enough that you choose another one instead of this wretched place. "

• Travel date: Sat 25th of October 2008

I do not recommend anyone ever staying a...

Reviewed Thu 2nd of October 2008

"I do not recommend anyone ever staying at this place. Let me first say that my husband and I went for a quiet holiday to relax and sleep and read. The Bar man was rude upon arrival. He did not smile one time the entire trip. Not only did he come in our room and SCREAM at us (about what we had no idea as it was in Greek- although we did catch t the word [--] which means [--]) he would not even get off his butt to get me a coke during the day.

As for the owner he was down right rude as well. He was the only person who spoke much English (which is fine- we were in Greece) and I asked him for two towels and he refused. Simply flat out would not give me two towels.

As for the room- horrible. I have stayed in hostels in Amsterdam that were about 10 bucks a night that were better. The shower is disgusting and small with a shower curtain that sticks to your wet body as it is so tiny.

Let’s talk about the “breakfast”. Filthy disgusting warm ham (which could not have been ham) boiled eggs and bread. Not exactly what you want EVERYMORING on holiday. There are thousands of hotels in the area all of which looked much nicer.

Our holiday was LOVELY apart from the fact this hotel was awful. All the other locals were amazing- we even got invited to a village to have dinner with a sheep farmer.

All in all- if you have any standards of basic living that include not being scared to death, having a friendly atmosphere, eating food that isn’t luke warm, having a shower curtain stuck to your bum, or sleeping in two single beds that are placed on wood slabs that you can feel- don’t go here.

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of October 2008

Just returned from a 2 week holiday at t...

Reviewed Fri 11th of July 2008

"Just returned from a 2 week holiday at the Neon Beach hotel, its fairly comfortable, but the rooms are on the small size but in saying that you only sleep there don't you. There was a small fridge and a TV if you watch telly on holiday in the room, but the air conditioning is extra at six Euros a day which you can buy daily, or weekly. We did have a problem with the noise of some guest returning from a night out in Malia, which was annoying when they start banging doors and shouting, nothing was done to apease this so that is one downfall and also the staff don't seem that friendly not like other places i have visited in greece. The swimming pool was fanstastic and your very close to the beach so top marks here, the pool bar is good and quick at bringing your food, The breakfast is early at 7:30 and finishes at 9:30 so only made it on a couple of times, but you did get plenty, bread, cheese, fruit, jams, cakes and tea and coffee so again top marks. Overall i would recommend the Neon as it gives you everything you need and your only 20 minutes away from Malia, We enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate in booking again, "By the way look out for Chucky the dog he's lovely, but be aware, don't go near him when he has a bone he'll take your foot off.""

• Travel date: Fri 11th of July 2008

location within stalis is excellent and...

Reviewed Thu 10th of July 2008

"location within stalis is excellent and the access to the beach is really good as its more or less just down from the pool. the accomadation itself is good, but the rooms are very basic, which do get cleaned every day, the only downside to that is that the cleaners did come sometimes a bit early which was bad if you wanted a lye in. they only changed the towels every 3 days, so by the third day they were a bit minging. you have to be a morning person if you wanted to make breakfast as it finished at 9:30 which we only made twice in the 2 weeks we was there, as it was hard to sleep from the noice made by people coming in early hours waking everyone up being loud and knocking on peoples door, so not ideal for the older generation, you may be slightly disappointed. the major downfall to the neon hotel are some of its staff, who at times were rude and very ignorant, not only towards us but as we saw, directed to others. one occasion he accused us of picking the locks on the air conditioning unit and breaking it, then trying to charge us, trying to reason with him and tell him we hadn't he became abusive and shouted at us like children, then dismissed us, again we saw this done to others over other things. after this he wouldnt acknowledge us at all. customer service was clearly not his priority, it seemed to be making as much money from each guest as possible. it is a family run buisness, but in this case that didn't seem to any more of a good thing. Stalis is a really good place to go with lots happening, but it appearred there was other hotels around us that were a lot better."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of July 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Neon Beac...

Reviewed Sat 28th of June 2008

"My partner and I stayed at the Neon Beach hotel for 2 weeks this june and had the best holiday ever. It is in a great location and the staff are so friendly.
The rooms are basic but cleaned every day which is all you really need - lets face it you dont go away to spend all your time in your room!!! The only thing we didnt realise before arriving was that they had no kitchen facitlities so we did have to spend money on lunch as well as dinner which did bump up the spending money!
The breakfast in the hotel isnt great, but its ok for a bit of cheese on toast to start you off, or next door in the Fox and Hound pub they offer a good english breakie for 4 euro which we enjoyed most mornings!
Stalis is a lovely place with some very very nice resturants including Anatolias and Camelots.
Bar Bliss is a great place to drink, Danny, Billy, Lee and Adele who work there are just great and very welcoming.
We would most definaly go back and stay at the Neon Hotel. "

• Travel date: Sat 28th of June 2008

A really nice, friendly family-run hotel...

Reviewed Mon 17th of September 2007

"A really nice, friendly family-run hotel.

Excellent service from helpful staff, good facilities. The rooms and the general areas in the hotel including the pool area were clean and well maintained. I would certainly go back there.

Stalis is ideal if you want a relaxed break without a noisy night-life (certainly in September), with ample restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. "

• Travel date: Mon 17th of September 2007

This was the first time I had been to Cr...

Reviewed Mon 14th of May 2007

"This was the first time I had been to Crete and it was rather fabulous!

I stopped at the Neon with my family and a friend and had a amazing time.

The staff were all very friendly apart from one who was rather scary but he was only ever there on the nights when we got in from being out!

I and my friend used to hide in the doorway until we thought he wasn’t looking then run for the lift, but he always used to see us! He looked remarkably like the man out of scary movie 3... with the strong hand!

Anyways the lift was quite unbelievably small and if you had 2 cases it was extremely squashed for 2 people!! However it did have a very large mirror which took up the back wall of the lift... which is very handy to check yourself out in before a night out!

The pool area is fabulous and the food is quite nice but not very varied, so if you are there every day it gets a bit boring!

The restaurant over the road... La Fontana... is very nice with lovely staff that are always dishing out the compliments! One of the staff... Danny... is treated as a bit of a slave but is very gorgeous, he provides a stunning view if you get a road view balcony!

Along the road is the absolutely fabulous Bar Bliss! It is an amazing bar and if you walk past will most probably get dragged in by the stunning Billy! The bar staff are nice, and always up for a laugh... They try their best and succeed in making your holiday the best ever!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of May 2007

Hotels near Neon Hotel

Stayed at Neon Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Neon Hotel

• ganzlikesapint by ganzlikesapint

"Rovers Return pub. You must take a trip on the Happy Train. "

Neon Hotel is also called