Matamy Beach Hotel

20, Agiou Ioannou Str. Beach Road, Stalis, Crete Greece

Good

Great Place to Stay

"Just come back after 2 weeks The Matemy is very clean and close to all the amanaties.
Hopr to go back next year"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2011

Excellent

"Have been to Stalis 14 times, but this was first time at Matamy Beach. What can we say...fantastic. Costas & Stella were so friendly and the appts were the best equiped we have stayed in. We will be back for sure."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2011

Matamy Apts, Stalis

"Absolutely fantastic apartments. Very friendly, clean and quiet....even tho you are a few meters away from all the fun. fantastic restaurants either side of the apartments. def to re book again."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of June 2010

holiday may 2010 by verna and mark south wales

"spent a week at matemy beach brilliant service view and rooms nice beach 2 minutes away in the middle of everything waiting to go again next may"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of May 2010

Highly recommended

"We stayed here last year and absolutely loved the place. The apartments and the location were brilliant. Everything to hand,the beach, shops and restaurants. Enjoyed it so much we are booking the same place this year :) xx"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of February 2010

A wonderful place

"This is the second time we have visited the Matemy Beach at Stalis and both times we have had a great time. The apartments have everything you could want for a relaxing time away. They are bright, clean and in an enviable spot. Costas, his wife and cleaning staff are very welcoming and keep the place in good condition. The apartments have enough plates etc and kitchen equipment for breakfast on the balcony or a light lunch. You would not want to cook a full meal but you are on holiday, there are a wealth of places to eat around so why would you? All rooms have a sea view some better than others it must be said but the whole place has a wonderful appearance and charm, you would be forgiven for being worried from the road when you approach it but once through to the other side you quickly see the charms of the apartments.

Stalis itself has it's own unique charm, it is a long beach road with, quite obviously, beaches, hotels, shops, restaurants, and bars aplenty. There is a place for most tastes from quiet authentic Greek tavernas to English and Irish pubs. There are a few music bars but no discos which for us was not a problem and if you want a livelier night-life then Malia is a short taxi drive away, approx 8 euros. The small supermarkets stock pretty much everything you can think of, there are hairdressers and car hire places all around.

The Cretans are wonderful people, helpful and friendly, and English is spoken through-out although they do appreciate you trying out your Greek, some phrases such as please, thank-you, good-morning, goodnight etc really do go a long way. The Cretans also love family, as we travelled with both sets of "aged" parents this was too appreciated, but also they are friendly and welcoming to children. The cuisine ranges from all out English to local dishes and in my opinion you would be foolish not to try Cretan cuisine as it is wonderful. The local wines are cheap and drinkable, not a full bodied Shiraz or anything but we haven't had a bad wine of any colour in any restaurant. Do not forget to try the Raki or Ouzo, to refuse a Raki is considered bad manners. Ouzo can be made really drinkable with the addition of sprite but beware the dreaded "Ouzo Tongue" where you slip and slur after a couple of glasses... :-) "

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of October 2009

very good

"my son,wife, me and my wife also my son's ( 2 friends another couple ) we turned up in the early hours, costa was there to meet us all. he showed us our rooms and we just got our heads down, next morning we had a look around and was inprested. we did enjoy our holiday and would go back to malemy beach hotel, but keep a eye on costa he will try and rip you off. but desides that it was very good."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of August 2009

this is our 15th year going to stalis an...

"this is our 15th year going to stalis and we have stayed in numerous apts but these are by far the best in our opinion. We have used Matamy for the last 3 years since the refurb. Costa and stella are brilliant and the 2 girls are gorgeous and the maids are very friendly. Costa and stella even took my wife myself and 2 other guests norman and mary to a wedding and reception in the mountains which we had to see to believe.The rooms are well looked after and modern and are cleaned regularily and nothing was too much trouble for the maids especially yanna. Even tho the apts did not do food there is plenty of places around that do breakfasts and snacks etc all reasonably priced. During our stay there was a gang of 8 lads ( 1 lad jumped on to the roof of costa,s car on the last morning ) who were a bit noisy and smashed a table in the early hours 5 ish but after a few words from costa and stella they calmed it down a bit ( i think running out of money also helped ) All in all we had a very good holiday and hope to be going back nxt year. There are also numerous restaurants around all serving good decently priced food, a couple of our favourites are Katerinas ( georges ) and La Fontana. To anybody going to stalis next year i will be in the drunken duck around the 8th july."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of September 2008

Had some bad experiences with package ho...

"Had some bad experiences with package holidays in the past but my partner persuaded me to try again.
Glad I did this was a great holiday in a great location.
The apartment was clean and well equipped, local amenities were literally just on the corner and the sea was a dozen steps away from our room.
Restaurants out number people but all the prices are the same,don't even bother looking for bargains !
For breakfast the Rovers or the Rose & Crown english pubs offer the best value for money and for evening meals you can't beat El Greco. Try their takeaway pizza just remember that for the cretans large equals medium and they only do the one size !!
Matemy apartments don't have a restaurant just a bar but the Rovers is next door.
Costas is a top man and a great laugh.
There's a great bar just down the street covered in ivy but looks can be deceiving trust me give it a go !!
Can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of July 2008

I have one word for the holiday myself a...

"I have one word for the holiday myself and 2 friends had at the Matamy Beach Apartments in Stalis which is AMAZING! We had a great time, the resort was just as we expected and the people were so friendly, especially our friends at the Lambros restaurant!! The apartments were clean and the towels etc were replaced regularly. I would definitely recommend these apartments to anyone, and I'm sure I will be going back sometime too!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of December 2007

My friend and I booked the Matemy Beach...

"My friend and I booked the Matemy Beach Hotel in October 2006 and had looked forward to visiting Crete.

We were not disappointed the Matemy Beach Hotel was everything that we were told it would be by Thomas Cook. I cannot fault the Hotel in any way; it was like a home from home.

Usually the accommodation in the Greek islands is basic but clean but the Matemy was more than this.

Everybody is so friendly in Stalis and it is a perfect place to visit. I can't wait to go back again!

• Travel date: Tue 17th of July 2007

We had booked this hotel in February thi...

"We had booked this hotel in February this year and booked two 1 bedrooms apartments for 2 couples when we arrived the owner Kostas told us they only had 2 studios left - we told him we wanted the two 1 bedrooms apartments that we were promised as we had paid the extra money, we eventually got them after battling with him for about 30 mins he had them all along with was trying to be smart and to do us out of the extra money, for the next 2 days there was no hot water - we reported this to him and he could not have cared less and said to stop complaining, after washing in cold water for two days we eventually had to get a Thomas Cook rep involved to tell him to get the hot water sorted after much shouting etc it was eventually fixed and we got a voucher from Thomas Cook for all the hassle.

The decor and the finish of this newly refurbished hotel was lovely but there are two pubs either side of the hotel - the Drunken Duck which is attached to the hotel and is owned by Kostas and the Bliss Bar is on the other side they both play very loud pounding music until about 2am, the drinks in the Drunken Duck are very expensive, I recommend going to the Knossos Restaurant opposite the Matemy Beach as the staff are great and the meals are beautiful and also Lambros Restaurant, steer clear of the
El Greco as the meals are half cooked and not very nice, the Jasmine House Chinese is also a lovely place to eat and most of the other restaurants are good - try the two local bakeries they are great.

Don't be tempted to book boat tours to see the Dolphins as they promise you swimming with the Dolphins - we booked this tour only to find out later on that no one has seen any dolphins on these tours for about 20 years and do not go to Dia Island as there is nothing there to see, the tours can be very misleading.

I have been to this resort before - I will not be going back to the Matemy Beach - we have stayed in the Ariadne Beach - I recommend staying there instead as the people were great and the hotel was spotless - no complaints!"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of September 2006

Hotels near Matamy Beach Hotel

Stayed at Matamy Beach Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Matamy Beach Hotel

• davescatt
d by davescatt d

"most of our drinking time was spent in the english pubs, one each side of the hotel. "

• Tanya70 by Tanya70

"Go there but hire a car if you are staying for 2 weeks. "

• mvrobb by mvrobb

"go....its a must visit place "

Matamy Beach Hotel is also called