Iraklis Apartments & Studios
53 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog
"I don't know what all these complaints are about to be honest. I booked this hotel for a week not knowing much about it apart from these awful reviews. My friend and I paid next to nothing and we were not expecting much from these apartments considering we booked the day before we went. We are two 21yr old single girls and all we needed was a place to sleep and dip in the pool. On arrival our suitcases were lifted up the steps and we were promptly taken to our room with the invitation to come and have a drink (this being 2 in the morning). We found the room was small but clean and well looked after and the kitchen area had enough facilities for what we needed. Fair enough there were no 3 course meals on the cards but when your only eating snacks anyway it doesn't matter. We went for a drink and found the bar staff extremely friendly and helpful. The next day we went round the pool and had some dinner (very nice and reasonably priced) and found that the hotel residents were all young and lively, yet very quiet in the night times. The pool was large and clean with plentiful sunbeds. On the night times it was 7-8 euro in taxi (the taxi rank based opposite the apartments) to get to malia and about 10euro to get back depending on what time you dragged yourself home. I would not recommend walking home as it took me around half hour to forty-five minutes (intoxicated of course). The only down points I would say were the bathroom and the rep. The bathroom could be improved as the water goes absolutely everywhere when you shower added to the fact that it was very cramped, however the water was always hot. The rep was friendly enough but we only saw him for ten minutes or so at the welcome meeting and then not again for the whole week. We actually adopted a rep from 'twentys' and he took us around on his bar crawls instead, quite shocking really! Overall we had a fantastic holiday at the Iraklis apartments and I would definately recommend as well as return myself in the future. B+L"
- Travel date: Mon 4th of August 2008
basic but ok
"Stayed here for 2 weeks and had a fine holiday the room was very basic but thats all u get when u stay self catering in greece.
The bar staff are very friendly and most helpful as i wanted to hire a car and thomas took me to his friends place and I got a good discount. They also have a free night where u get free food and wine as a thank you for staying in the hotel. All in all its a not bad place to stay"
- Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008
"we arrived after spending the first week at a different hotel to this one(we should of been in this one for the first week also, thank god we wasn't)the room was like a shoe box it was for myself,my daughter and another lady,it had two single beds there wasn't a bed for my daughter when we arrived so a fold up one was given to us,which was no use as the room was that small we couldn't put it up.there was a light fitting with bare wires,the shower,if u can call it that,was not attached to the wall,so to have a shower u had to hold the shower head,there was crap on the bathroom tiles behind the door,two people could not pass on the balcony.the room did not look like it had been cleaned before our arrival.when we asked to be moved to another room we got told we would have to pay 30 euros.they were having a laugh.the noise was terrible from the bar,would not recommend this hotel to anyone"
- Travel date: Fri 27th of June 2008
Ants in your "pants"
"Worst place we have stayed ever! bed linnen never was changed until the night before we left!
We were only here for 7nights thank goodness it was not 14 nights.
Food we did not try after the state of our room we could not face food in the place, our room was infested with "ants" the shower if you can call it that had no power there was more power in the taps at the sink!.
Toilet was rotten you were afraid to sit on it incase you mite have caught someting from it.
We moved our beds together only to find other creepy crawlys below them (that havent been cleaned in years)
Besides the filth of this place it was ideal to stalis."
- Travel date: Fri 11th of January 2008
barbeque my Arse
"way too near the main road.it was like sleeping next to the m25!!. very dangerous road to cross if you have kids.cleaners dont know how to sweep a balcony"
- Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007
Nice Pool and Bar - welcoming
"We stayed at iraklis 1 studios in stalis. Myself and my partner stayed for a week and we are both 25 and under. Stalis itself was perfect - loads of places to eat and drink and 20 mins walk to malia and a short bus ride to hersonissos.
There are two pools at the studios both average size and clean. The pool bar is friendly and entertaining. The BBQ night is a must with great food.
The studio itself was less than basic, very small and compact. There is NO toaster. The bathroom was small and old fashioned with a bad sink. The shower worked fine with good pressure and very hot water - to our surprise! We did get a double bed but most didnât. We had a terrace with tables and chairs. The room is very hot with no air con! Renting fans from reception is a must! You can get a safety deposit box from reception as well.
The beach is a very short walk away and the shops and places to eat are across the road. Very good location! Holiday was good as a whole!"
- Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007
Had a Great Time
"we arrived at 2am and were greeted by thomas and eddie. Thomas and his wife anna lease the bar from the owners and they are what make this place. The room we had was very small but other people we talked to had a much bigger one. Thomas puts on entertainment every night and himself his wife anna and eddie work very hard to please everyone. The barbecue night is excellent. You have to cross a busy road to get into the centre of stalis but its not as bad as some. The rose and crown pub put on a hyptomist 2 nights a week and it is very funny. Half way down the road from the rose and crown there is a small road on the right with a sign that says snack bar, go up this road and you will see a restaraunt called ANSI that serves excellent food. Its not the poshest we were in but the food was excelent and good value for money, Angela the ownere is very friendly. Stalis itself has lots of restaraunts and bars so there is something for everyone. I would go back to stalis but not to these apartments, only because the room was so small and the bed collapsed 3 times as the slats underneath the matress are not long enough, also becase there was no hot water in the morning and on our last day there was hardly any pressure the water just trickled out. We had a last minute deal so for what we paid it was ok. I cannot finish without saying a big thankyou to Thomas, Anna and Eddie who always have a word for everyone and realy made our holiday."
- Travel date: Wed 6th of June 2007
"We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Iraklis 2 apartments in Stalis.
What can I say? studio apartments are clean but very basic.Even though it is Self catering do not expect to be able to cook much for yourselves. Be prepared to eat out most days. Wonderful bakery has just opened next door, lovely smells at night and the rolls are wonderful. Two pools but were very cold. Loads of sun beds if you wanna stay poolside.
The BBQ night is a must(Sundays) hosted by Thomas the Tank, Steady Edie and Anna. These three really must be praised they put everything into making your stay there memorable.
Eddie does his fire eating act on a Thursday this really has to been seen to be belived.
Stalis has many bars and restaurants to choose from. Malia has more night life. Beware of the Quad bikes they are everywhere.
Beach good, we spent most days at Mythos beach which charge â¬4 of two beds umbrella and a table.
We had only two days of rain. temps around 28C."
- Travel date: Thu 24th of May 2007
pete n'rit in crete
"we ,(rita and me,pete) stayed at iraklis apts. in sept,2006,had a great time.studio apt was small but we expected this,it was very clean and adequate for our holiday.thanks to maria(who had to get up at an unearthly hour to show us our room,the courier couldn't find it),and her mum,anna,tom,for there excellent "world famous" barbeque,great night and pasta night.there is agood atmosphere around the bar and pool,also thanks to "steady eddie"(hope your'e still in love!)and diana and the other staff,thanks for a great holiday.will definately return.
rita and pete.
p.s.my big toe is o.k.now!
- Travel date: Sat 30th of September 2006
cant wait to return!
"we stayed at iraklis 2 in may 2005,grandmother,mother and daughter.the first three days it poured down ,so heavy lots of places were flooded and without electicity!all the guests donned mops and brooms and helped clean up helped along by the staff giving us all shots of raki,ouzo and other shots! the sun eventually came out and we had a great time.the staff thomas his new wife anna and simon were very plesant and made our stay very welcoming.b.b.q nite on sundays was a huge sucess,with crazy bingo and karaoke 15 euros very good value food cooked by thomas and anna.leathal cocktails mixed by simon!!steer clear of the barmans secret mix.on wednesdays the pasta nite is a free welcoming meal,drinks extra. the rooms are basic but very clean.iraklis 2 apartments are much larger than iraklis 1. the pools are very clean and there are plenty of sunbeds to go round.only downside is being on the main road ,its gets noisy at times and the road is very hard to cross. we tried to book again for july but iraklis was full we ended up in penelope up the road not to be recomended(see other reviews) but luckily enough we were able to book for the 16th sept!"
- Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2005
Least hygienic and hospitable place I've ever stayed
"This was the least hygienic and least hospitable place my partner and I have ever stayed, for multiple reasons. We understand that you get what you pay for, so we were expecting something basic, and went with the frame of mind that it was just somewhere to sleep and shower. However, Iraklis couldnât even get these basics right. Other guests we met during our stay and in online reviews weâve since read repeat the same problems.
1. Upon arrival we found in our room an extensive list of rules. The first, and very reasonable point, is that some guests wish to relax, and therefore itâs not acceptable to make too much noise and disturb others. We had no such problem with other guests, but the owners allowed their child to have a colossal tantrum in the courtyard, and constantly screamed at each other across the courtyard, to the point that I now have an aversion to the name Maria, having heard âMARIIIIIAâ¦MAAAAARIIIIIIIAâ screeched at maximum volume so many times.
2. The staff constantly seemed quite angry and aggressive, and were the least hospitable people we met throughout our whole stay. We arrived late at night so met the owner the following day, and rather than offering any sort of welcome she was more concerned with making sure she got our hotel voucher so she could get paid. The owners seem to be very selective about who they are and arenât friendly towards â guests who want to eat/drink/spend money in the apartments seem to be treated much better than those who prefer to spend time and money outside.
3. Iraklisâ website claims that toiletries are provided, but nothing is provided at all, not even hand soap. One toilet roll is provided on arrival, and after that guests need to buy their own. However, another guest we spoke to who mentioned to the owner that sheâd recommend to others if she had a good experience was offered extra, and had her room cleaned more regularly.
4. Iraklis imply that WiFi and air conditioning are provided, but these cost extra. The WiFi was very sporadic. We only found out that it cost extra through other guests, as this was never offered or explained to us. Charging for air conditioning seems like a really underhand way to make money â in October we could manage with the window open, but the room was quite humid and I think in the summer it would be impossible without air conditioning.
5. Of the two swimming pools advertised, only the smaller was available for use. The other had hazard tape around it and for some reason was covered in a layer of oil.
6. The swimming pool that was available had visible dirt on the floor, and even worse, cat droppings from the stray cats in the area. Iâm quite disgusted to say I went swimming in that.
7. The toilet in the public area contained no soap or hand towels throughout our entire stay.
8. The bins were not emptied for days, and no information was provided about where guests could empty them. This is especially bad as the list of rules stated that used toilet paper should be put in the bin rather than down the toilet.
9. Towels werenât changed even when visibly dirty.
10. The bed sheets and pillowcases were dirty, but the cleaner just took them off and turned them so that the dirt was at the opposite end of the bed. I had to ask for clean ones and then change them myself.
11. Every so often we noticed an unpleasant sewage smell inside our apartment, which had no obvious source.
12. Furnishings were stained, ragged, and clearly not maintained.
13. The towels provided are almost all worn out and have holes in them.
14. Our fridge was worn out, had no door for the freezer drawer, and didnât shut properly unless it was slammed.
15. The bathroom tap was hanging off the sink to the point that you had to hold it in place when turning it on.
16. Weâre a couple and were allocated a room with two single beds, which we ended up pushing together with a gap in the middle, which we lovingly referred to as âThe Trenchâ. However, another guest who was traveling had been allocated an apartment identical to ours but with a double bed. Another couple we met also had two single beds. Where is the logic in that?
17. The mattresses were the hardest I have ever come across, and it felt like sleeping on the floor. The pillows were totally flat and no extras were provided. We both struggled to sleep all week.
18. The shower always took 5-10 minutes to warm up, and another guest mentioned having the same problem. On the final morning there was no hot water at all.
19. The shower always leaked all over the floor. Providing a â¬1 squeegee would have fixed that. The bathroom floor ended up getting absolutely filthy because we had to wear flip flops in the bathroom.
20. The bath mat immediately became absolutely soaked because of this, and rather than replacing it the cleaners just hung it out on our balcony, where it remained absolutely soaked.
21. Emphasis seems to be put on guests cleaning up after themselves, which would have been fine if theyâd supplied a brush to go with our dustpan.
22. The cleaners were polite but tended to walk into our apartment without knocking. In fact the cleaner was the only person who bothered to say goodbye to us when we left.
We refused to let these issues ruin our holiday, but staying here really was a massive disappointment. We were expecting basic, but also expected a basic standard of hygiene and manners. Within the town Iraklis and its owners seemed to have a poor reputation too. We would absolutely visit Crete again, and would love to stay in Stalis again, but hell will freeze over before we stay at Iraklis again.
- Travel date: Fri 21st of October 2016
Pat & Billy Patterson
"What a fantastic holiday we had. Maria & Stavros are the nicest two people on earth and their children, Emily & Irene are the most beautiful little girls. They go out of their way to make you comfortable and nothing is any bother. The food is great and we ate really well. The apartment was very clean, tidy and well looked after. Maria & Stavros's family were also very nice and friendly. It was an amazing stay and I will treasure the memories. They also put on festive nights for us. Maria & Stavros, you are the best people and we love Stalis but you made it that little bit extra. Thank you. Was very sad when holiday ended."
- Travel date: Fri 25th of July 2014