Ariadne Beach Hotel

Tagmatarchou Grammatikaki Nik., Malia, Crete 700 07 Greece

Good

Fantastic hotel nice people good food, n...

Reviewed Wed 1st of October 2008

"Fantastic hotel nice people good food, not like other reports said. We enjoyed every day.
Stalis very close and good fun, the best of both worlds with good restaurants just around the corner, and lively bars, and a nice quite hotel to come back to. Greek evening was very good fun. We will go back. Thanks "

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2008

Just got back from Ariadne Beach, Stalis...

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2007

"Just got back from Ariadne Beach, Stalis. Booked a superior room. On arrival, were offered an upgrade to studio, including self catering facilities, for 35euros, which we accepted - more room, better position.

Staff were very nice, polite and helpful. Hotel generally nice, modern, clean and well maintained. We walked along the beach both ways and both concluded that in hindsight we would still choose Ariadne for its excellent location and layout.

We've read lots of reviews which criticise the food. Yes, it's not the most inspiring and the buffet-style makes it a bit "school dinner-ish”, but there was plenty of choice and it was all edible, some dishes more tasty than others. I think some people must be very hard to please! My favourite was the watermelon - lots of it at every meal, refreshing and tasty.

Location is good, accessible for Malia (if that sort of thing appeals to you) and Stalis (less "in your face" but still lively enough). Would hate to go at high season. Lots of things were closed or closing but it was quite busy enough for us. Local buses are very easy to use, comfortable and reasonable. Wouldn't say no to going back there, if we were the sort to re-visit places, but not for a while, there's too much world out there the explore!

• Travel date: Thu 18th of October 2007

Just returned from Crete after staying a...

Reviewed Fri 31st of August 2007

"Just returned from Crete after staying at the Ariadne beach hotel.

The downside is the food, which at best was poor. Same things each day. Rubber eggs and lack of fresh fruit.

The standard of food was poor. Breakfast was scrambled eggs or rubber eggs. Trust me these eggs do bounce. It was not a good selection, even with a two weekly rotation system.

If you hire 2 sun beds and umbrella it costs four Euros fifty cents and Air conditioning is a extra 210 Euros for two weeks. The night porter wants his money straight away, not at the end of your holidays.

Why should we have to pay all these extras? Having stayed at other 3 and 4 star hotels’ have never been charged these extras for standard accommodation.

Once you pay the extras, you go out to return to a oven. As the key is on a magnetic strip, beside the door and it turns everything off, until you return to your room.

Believe me there are big differences between standard rooms and superior rooms. You get what you pay for, but what is classed as superior rooms at the Ariadne Beach Hotel is standard anywhere else."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2007

I came back from Crete yesterday (21st A...

Reviewed Wed 22nd of August 2007

"I came back from Crete yesterday (21st Aug) after staying at the Ariadne Beach hotel for the second time to meet up with a group of friends we met there last year and still wish I was there!

The only downside to the Ariadne is the food, my family and I ate there 3 nights out of 7 only because we felt we should as we had paid to. Although the food at the pool bar is very nice.

The staff are brilliant, Nico behind the bar is so funny, he nicked named me 'shandy girl' and my son 'pancake boy' and Mike is so kind and friendly, he even brought us and a group of our friends some cake that his mother had made! And it was delicious. Almondo the sun bed man is good fun too and likes to talk about English football. In fact all the staff are nice including the maids.

The rooms are clean and spacious and the location of the hotel is perfect, right on the beach front overlooking the sea, where there are plenty of activities (banana boat, Jet Ski, paragliding etc) and the pool is a good size and not too cool. It’s true you have to pay for sun loungers (1 euro 50 each) and air con but I didn’t mind as I was aware of this & included it in my budget.

The resort itself I’d say was ok, lots of bars to choose from, the Rose and Crown pub over the road do traditional tasty food at a reasonable price. A few trips out is recommended...water city is a good one, maybe a meal on the sea front at Hersonissis, Aghios nicolaus (nice shops) And the weather...fantastic, guaranteed sun everyday!

May go back again in a few years. I think it will be hard to find a better place to stay in Stalis than the Ariadne Beach Hotel.

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of August 2007

Booked our holiday in July 2006 to stay...

Reviewed Thu 5th of July 2007

"Booked our holiday in July 2006 to stay in Sunset Hotel only found out the day before that we had been changed hotel to the Ariadne Hotel.

The Hotel was very clean and quiet modern. We were offered the superior room on arrival for 210 Euros extra needless to say we didn't take it.

Our room was perfectly spacious and clean. We decided on the second day to get the aircon as it was very hot it cost 6 Euros a day, bit pricey, also when you removed your key from the magnetic strip beside the door it turned itself off meaning when you came back to your room it was like an oven!

The breakfast were let’s say interesting plastic sausages, rubber eggs, bread, cornflakes, cheeses, ham and tinned fruit no fresh fruit as previously mentioned.

As for dinner thank goodness we were not half board the food looked disgusting and the information from the other guests also indicated the same they ate out quite a few nights!

Another annoying thing was that you had to pay for your sun beds and umbrella which cost an extra 4.50 Euros a day never been to a hotel before were this happened.

Have to say though Crete is a beautiful place and the people are very nice also must mention the Rose and Crown pub which serve gorgeous meals and is extremely reasonable.

Also worth taking a trip to Spinalonga which used to be a Leper Colony you can get the bus to Aghios Nikolas the boat the Spinalonga for 48 Euros for 2 people My travel were charging 48 Euros each although this included a barbeque.

All in all good holiday but I certainly will not be booking Ariadne Hotel again will go self catering, too many nice restaurants in Stalis for much cheaper."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

First stayed at the Ariadne 5 years ago...

Reviewed Thu 24th of May 2007

"First stayed at the Ariadne 5 years ago and will be returning as one of our 2 holidays this year.

Stayed the first 2 weeks in September 2006. And once again the service and hospitality was second to none.

Ideally situated on the best bit of beach in Stalis the gardens and lawns are well manicured and provide the perfect location for a most enjoyable holiday.

The hotel is family owned with an essence on providing a good quality service to holidaymakers. The rooms are spotlessly clean and towels and bed linen changed frequently.

No problem is too much for the staff. From reception right through to the cleaning maids the service is first class.

A half board is now in operation with evening dinner served in the dining room with a good choice of food on a two weekly rotation so that the menu is not repeated.

The sunbeds are charged for at 1.50 Euros either on the sandy beach or the lawns, and there are plenty to go round. Armando the sunbed man is very friendly and will always stop and have a chat.

I cannot fault this hotel and can say that it is ideal for the person who wants a quality, not loud, hotel location.

The pool bar at night is ideally positioned to sit and watch the sun go down and the sea rippling on the sand with a cool mythos or any other drink of your choice."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of May 2007

We booked this holiday as a party of 6 a...

Reviewed Fri 20th of October 2006

"We booked this holiday as a party of 6 adults. (All related). Initially we booked a different hotel but the company asked us to change because of over booking. (We later found this to be utter rubbish). The Adriane is ideally situated and if you manage to get a Superior room, overlooking the sea, then it's first class accommodation. It's very clean and well looked after with a good pool and surrounding gardens.

A good pool bar with perfect access to the beach some 20 yards from the garden of the hotel. The views are really stunning from the balcony's and I would say there are about 25 to 35 of them to choose from. Staff are very friendly and most are English speaking. The room staff are very clean and tidy when it comes to the rooms. The resort, ( although purpose made, which is a little disappointing ) is lively and there are plenty of bars and good restaurants to choose from.

Now the bad part. End of season was four weeks from our first day the 3rd Oct. Boy can you tell. Things start shutting down with regularity each day. The hotel shuts its bar most times and although they ran out of beer made no effort to replace it even with 3 weeks to go. The food however is the worst we have ever tasted in 20 years. A three star hotel with less than 1 star food."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of October 2006

After booking this hotel 10 months ago n...

Reviewed Thu 24th of August 2006

"After booking this hotel 10 months ago none of our requests were granted. We were shown obviously a show room which did not meet with any of our requirements we had booked ie fridge, TV. The air conditioning we knew beforehand we would have to pay for.

We therefore had no option but to upgrade to a superior room on arrival for which they requested £150 per room (cash only). Believe me there are differences between standard and superior rooms but you never get what you book for. The meals were OK but very poor choice.

The breakfast alternated between boiled eggs, scrambled eggs and rubber fried eggs that would test any wall when thrown at. For the amount of money you are paying it is far better value to eat out. Apart from the above the hotel is spotlessly clean but very hot as they do not use any air conditioning only in the restaurant.

Obviously if you pay for it you can have it but they are certainly not going to pay for it in any other part of the hotel. So if you are thinking of having a drink in the lounge don't bother it's like a sauna (probably why nobody ever went in for a drink).

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

This was my wife’s and my first time a...

Reviewed Fri 23rd of June 2006

"This was my wife’s and my first time at the Ariadne, and I have got to say it is a fabulous hotel. I honestly can’t find fault with it. Its ideally situated for Stalis centre and about a 35 mins walk into Malia, which we visited for one night and would not go again.

You really don’t have to go into Malia as Stalis has everything you need. The hotel itself is spotlessly clean the staff are great and very friendly, if you hire 2 sun beds 1 umbrella it costs four euros fifty cents. The Ariadne cafe bar which is adjoining the hotel is a very good bar and George and Alex are very friendly.

You are approx 50-80 yards from the beach, if you hire sun beds you can hire them on both the beach and on the grass areas around the hotel. All in all I could not find a fault with the hotel (but everybody has their own views).

The food was really nice, there was a good selection for evening meals which are on a 2 week menu so you don’t get the same foods put on night after night. It is a hotel that we will certainly be visiting again. "

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of June 2006

Stayed here for one week in June 05. Ver...

Reviewed Sat 10th of June 2006

"Stayed here for one week in June 05. Very nice hotel, clean, modern and well presented. The Ariadne Beach is in a good position on the beach front with the beach about 30 ft from some of the rooms, depending which room you get. Breakfast had a wide variety of food (Continental style breakfast).

The Ariadne is a couple of minutes walk from the nearest restaurants and bars (Visit Socrates restaurant, Adonis is so funny and welcoming. Turn left from the front of the hotel). The bars were not the loud rowdy type like in Malia but more quieter music and pleasant.

There was a regular bus service running although I would be careful about using taxis as we got a taxi to Hersonissos and it cost 9 euros as opposed to 1.5 euros each on the bus.

We could not fault this hotel and holiday at all and I recommend this hotel and resort to anyone. Will definitely be going back.

• Travel date: Sat 10th of June 2006

Hotels near Ariadne Beach Hotel

Stayed at Ariadne Beach Hotel? Share your insight.