Anastasia Hotel

Stalis, Crete 70007 Greece

Good

first class

"there is nothing to say except first class for everything, I read the reviews before travel and did spot a comment about English food and childrens facilities on an evening...well what can you say..you are in Greece not Bognor what would you expect for children at 10pm when the entertainment starts? .
The hotel although child friendly is not overrun by kids
The owners were brilliant and all of the staff fully attentive.
Good food, Clean rooms, a first class hotel that deserves a much higher star rate than it has.
The ents are low key run by John a young guy but what he does he does very well and nice not to have the usual pub singer everynight.
I have already booked again."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of June 2007

good deal for the price!

"Anastasia is a very clean and enjoyable hotel - our room was a good size for a family of 4- they provided a travel cot (although it wasn't as safe as our personal one - bars crossways on the outside led to bumps on the head for my baby!). Reception staff were great, always helpful and the hotel has tried to increase its evening entertainment (from that described in the brochure) to provide something very night from the British entertainment/kids club worker. And yes, he is the only worker for the kids club. He put on a kids disco mon-fri at 8.30 which was good for the children with lots of action dances. Childrens pool fantastic.

Breakfast and dinner was fine - the staff were fantastic and we all found a full plate of food very mealtime! BAr meals at lunch very good value. BAr drinks are quite expensive (British prices) 3.5 euros for a milkshake. 1.80 for a glass of carton apple juice. 3.10 for a large beer, but the bar itself is lovely and as a family we much preferred to stay there than venture into town.

Anastasia hotel has a beautiful backdrop of mountains when you sit by the pool but the downside of this is it is placed on the other side of a busy road - you can walk under the underpass to cross this and it is still quite a walk to the beach, along a beach road strip - which has no pavements and it very busy with traffic - risky for young children. The beach was covered in wet and dried seaweed - not as lovely as described in the brochure but it was natural mess as opposed to manmade - I guess maybe they clean it up later in the season.- we went the first week.

Overall we had a lovely relaxing break - weather fantastic, hotel good, clean and pretty - not keen on resort and wouldn't return to Stalis unless I was 15 years younger and wanted to party all night!! If I could move the hotel to a nicer part of Crete (ie more traditional crete/greek resort I would definately return to Anastasia."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of May 2007

Lovely Hotel

"My friend and I have just returned from Crete where we had a great holiday. The Anastasia is everything everyone else has said about it. We were in one of the small annexes which consisted of four rooms.There were steps and different levels so if you have mobility problems then tell the staff beforehand as these annexes would not be suitable.The room was clean and comfortable. We were in a family room even though there was only two of us so we had plenty of room. Linen was changed frequently. Breakfasts were wonderful and the evening meals were good. My friend is vegetarian and had no problems with choice of food. We were very impressed when we were delayed five hours and did not arrive until 11pm, that they had kept food for us. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and the owners were around every day.
The pool and bar areas were very clean and as it was the first week of the season there were plenty of sunbeds. I could see however if the hotel was full, sunbeds may be a problem.
The hotel is on the other side of the main road to the resort of Stalida but there is an underpass under the road in front of the hotel and from there it is a ten minute walk to either Stalida or Malia. Because it was on the other side of the road it was nice and quiet at night. There was entertainment in the evenings in the hotel which was not to our taste but other people seemed to enjoy it. We went into the resort every night instead.The beaches are very nice and we were lucky to have hot weather. Plenty of shops and bars. We ate out one night even though we were half board, just for a change and the food was superb.
I would recommend this hotel and would certainly go back there without hesitation."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of May 2007

Last week in October

"What a great hotel. We stayed at the end of the season 24-31 October (don't believe what they say about the weather). Food great. Staff brilliant. So clean. You are half way between Stalis and Malia (watch the quadbikes !) We would recommend this hotel to anybody. Easy stroll to resorts, beach, bus stop, car rentals, land train."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of February 2007

Brilliant Holiday

"Stayed here with my partner at the end of August 2006. What can I say we really loved the hotel and our holiday in general.

The Hotel:
- Very friendly staff and owners make you feel very comfortable and relaxed.
- Food was very good, excellent choice of salads and a variety of different main meals every day. Breakfast was ok but I have had better.
- Room was also good, bathroom is slightly basic but this is the norm for Crete. We had a room with sea 'glimpses' with a small balcony.
- Overall - an Excellent 3* hotel which could not be any better for this rating. I have stayed in better hotels in terms of facilities but we loved the friendliness of this hotel and are even coming back in 2007!

Stalis Itself:
Loved the location, only a 5 minute walk down to stalis and the beach (great beaches). Loads of restaurants and bars along the beach strip with something for everyone. In our early to mid 20's we didn't want anything too much like Malia but this was a great in between with a relaxed atmosphere and plenty of differently themed bars to have a good time in, such as one bar with loads of hammocks, one with comfy sofa's, some specialising in cocktails, cinema bars where they show the latest film releases.
Stalis is also a good base to get to Heraklion/Hersonnisos/or further afield such as the samaria gorge which is a few hours away on the bus. I would recommend this location for any age group."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of February 2007

Wonderfull place ! ! !

"Stayed at Anastasia Hotel the last 2 weeks of Oktober with my daughter and it was great!

Very clean Hotel and very friendly staff. Very good food, also for children and the children's club was great! I could have some time on my own :)

It was end of season so there was not lot's to do in the town so I spend almost all my time around the beautifull Hotel's pool.

Entertaiment was good fun and John (the animateur) was great. A big Thank's also to Mike and Billy the 2 owners of the Hotel. They were there for anything you might need and made us feel even better than home :)

If we will visit Crete again, we will certenlly go back to the Anastasia Hotel.

Zita from Kaunas / Lithuania"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of January 2007

Wonderfully friendly

"The weather was terrible when we stayed but the welcome was warm! The staff make this hotel special, and the fact it is so clean and well cared for. We had a family room for just the two of us right at the top of the grounds, overlooking the goats leaping around the mountain and the orange and lemon trees. The fridge in the room was a boon, the bathroom was good (especially the shower - unusual in Greece), and the rooms plenty big enough with air conditioning. The entertainment was low key but fun - thanks John! It is close enough to the bars/restaurants of Stallis and not too far to walk into Malia. The food was excellent. I would recommend this hotel and would love to visit again - but please can we have some sunshine this time??"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of October 2006

A great week's holiday

"We stayed at this great hotel at the end of August / start of September for a week and had a fantastic time. I'd agree with all the good things that have already been said on here.

We got self-service half-board for the price of a decent self-catering holiday and I wouldn't hesitate in going back.

The hotel is in an ideal location for walking into Stalis - and Malia if you want a livelier time of an evening - but without the disruption of being in the busy main street.

The room was lovely, with FREE air conditioning. The grounds, pool area and bar were all great (we also got free use of a pile of inflatables!).

The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. They gave us recommendations on places to visit and joined in the evening entertainment.

We spotted a few restaurants we wanted to try while out and about but then never ended up bothering because the food was great at the hotel!

Both my boyfriend and I hope to go back and visit the Anastasia - and maybe stay longer than just a week!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Fantastic place to stay - (reviewers from Clacton-on-sea, Essex)

"My-self and my son (who is 7) stayed at the hotel for one week and it wasn't long enough. This was our first holiday to one of the Greek Islands and it was lovely. We found the owners and all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, well equipped and spacious. The pool area was great, we even had the use of free inflatable's (this is something we have never encountered before!) The restaurant and bar areas were also very nice, the food was out of this world, l have never eaten so much!! Josh who can be usually very particular with his food also enjoyed it. We didn't pay for a full week in the kids club but paid as we went along, this suited us as it meant we could go out and explore as and when we wanted to. Every time Josh returned from the club he had a big grin on his face and said he'd had a great time. Best part of the evening entertainment was the karaoke. Although l do think on the live music night the singer let the hotel down abit, don't get me wrong he was a good singer but didn't always know the songs people were requesting. The beach and shops were all within walking distance which was nice as it meant we didn't have to hire a car or rely on the bus service. We will definately be visiting the hotel again and have even suggested to family and friends that they try it."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of September 2006

Excellent service

"We stayed at this hotel for two weeks in July and could not fault it. Our only issue was that we had upgraded to a superior family seaview room through Direct Holidays and ended up on the bottom floor. We were eventually reimbursed the money we had paid for this upgrade through Direct as the hotel could not provide us with the seaview room. Apart from this, there were no other problems. The food, especially in the evening, provided plenty of choice and the quality was very good. Staff were very welcoming and friendly and went out of their way to make guests feel at home. The grounds were well maintained, and we enjoyed the low key entertainment. For those who complain about the entertainment, there are other options in Malia or Stalis! This is a smaller hotel so I'm not sure what people expect when it comes to entertainment at holiday resorts. We had a great holiday here and would not hesitate to recommend the Hotel Anastasia."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

Anastasia the Fantasic

"We have had yet another great relaxing holiday at the Anastasia. However for the benefit of those who may not have read any of my previous posts, I will spend a bit of time in depth describing what has us coming back every year to spend my holiday with the Anastasia family.

The hotel is situated at the side of the Old National Road which can be very busy, but between the road and the hotel is a service road, the free covered car parking; the free kids play area, and a line of trees, so the road noise is minimal. The hotel is fully contained so there is no danger to children. Crossing the road could not be safer, as there is a well-lit, well maintained underpass. This allows safe passage down to the beach road. The position of the hotel is mid-way between two bus stops, which allows great access to the rest of this beautiful Island, on what is a very good bus service.

Hotel Layout. The hotel is laid out in six blocks in between which are some well-maintained lovely gardens. There are four pools, two kids and two adults. A pool bar with its own seating, a covered seated area in which can be found the pool table and table football game. This area also has a large TV screen. The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating. Close to the restaurant is a mini market in the form of vending machines providing all sorts of items from milk, sweets,biscuits,cigarettes to blow up Lilos. Great if you run short of something, negating the need to go down to the nearest supermarket.
Other communal areas include reception, an indoor lounge, (another TV), with a balcony, and it is this area that you will find a PC to give you access to the Internet if you have not brought your own device to utilize the free Wi-Fi. Not forgetting the children’s play area, which is ideal for families with young children.

Hotel Accommodation. Having visited this hotel many times, we have experienced several different rooms, and each time we have enjoyed the free air conditioning, and the free use of a fridge, not forgetting the TV. The rooms, as is the rest of the hotel, always kept very clean.

Hotel Food. The food is excellent; Chef produces a 14 day menu, with around 70 choices daily. I have to say at this point, if you are looking for typical British holiday fare in the form of pie and chips, fish and chips etc. etc. then this is the wrong place for you. There are plenty of International meals, as well as Greek dishes.

Hotel Staff. I have saved the best bit for last. The staff is undoubtedly this hotels greatest asset. They give you a typical warm friendly welcome and believe me when I say that they are very genuine in that regard. Unlike many parts of Spain where you receive the College manufactured welcome, this group of people are genuine and will do their utmost to make you feel welcome. I can honestly say that I feel like part of their family every time I visit. If you encounter any problem whilst here, do not hesitate to take it to the staff and they will try their utmost, within reason, to solve it. Do not be like some others that wait to they get home then post a bad review, without ever giving the staff the chance to rectify any issues. That is a coward’s way.

All these points combine to guarantee a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere and ultimately a relaxed and enjoyable holiday.

PS. Note how many times I used the word FREE.

PPS. The large amount of holiday makers that come here are repeat guests, ask yourself why?

• Travel date: Sat 28th of September 2013

A truly special place...

"Just got back from 10 days in Crete, staying at the Anastasia Hotel in Stalis. Chose the hotel rather randomly as the name appealed... couldn't have found a better place. Staff - incredible, friendly, helpful, fab sense of humour. So attentive and kind, I felt like I was part of one big happy family. The hotel itself caters for families, couples, friends travelling together (I was there with my friend - girly 10 day holiday - wish it had been at least a 2weeker!). We were half-board, breakfast buffet is superb, and the evening buffet is also excellent. Plenty of different dishes to cater for all tastes. A weekly schedule of evening entertainment from 9.30pm (with a kiddies disco a little earlier). The hotel is very clean, has everything you need whilst away from home, our room was very comfortable and the team of housekeeping ladies do a great job and are very sweet and cheerful. Well I guess that's if you're cheerful yourself of course, which I like to think I am... Don't go there if you are someone who just complains about everything, people who go away and then right horrible reviews are just haters and time wasters. I think the hotel is top notch, probably as it feels full of love. Thank you to everyone who made my first time in Crete a truly special one, I am so happy and felt so cared for - can't wait to go back next year and hope that I can take my 83yr old grandmother, who is the reason I went to Crete as she went there in her younger days, with my mum and her husband also. I wish this place the best in life as again I say it really is a special place to be. You can lounge by the pool, you can walk to the little strip of shops and restaurants within 5-10minutes, we went on a boat trip and snorkelled, we visited Knossos, an ancient palace dating back to 6000BC discovered, bought and subsequently partially restored (not a sacrilege in my eyes as much is left untouched) by a gentleman called Arthur Evans, think in the 1920s(???). We also fell in love with horses again as we found a horse-riding trip run by a lovely chap called Nikos, you can do a two hour ride which we did as beginners to reintroduce ourselves - couple of days later we went on the longer trip 5½hrs into the mountains (not for wimps, physical and high up - breathtakingly so - best views!!!) - you have a couple of stops, one in an olive grove with a little chapel where the wind sings magically through the pine trees, the next stop about an hour later (after galloping along winding ancient country roads) is in a very old village in the mountains called Mahos where we tether the horses and sit at a taverna for refreshements. There's an orthodox church, it's a lovely place to see as very authentic. There's a little corner shop and another selling some souvenirs - not tacky though! Anyway, for anyone reading this (sorry it's all one long paragraph), I hope you find it all as wonderful as my friend and I did - I wish you a very happy holiday!"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of September 2012

Hotels near Anastasia Hotel

Stayed at Anastasia Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Anastasia Hotel

• Wee Boab by Wee Boab

"Stalis is a very good resort and the people are genuinely friendly, not like you may find in Spain . "

• Wee Boab by Wee Boab

"The choice of restuarants makes it difficult to single out one, Knossos is a must "

• Sudoweb by Sudoweb

"Bars Bars and more bars "

• Sudoweb by Sudoweb

"The food at the hotel was more than sufficient - didn "

• Mac by Mac

"The restaurant at The Anastasia Hotel and Mambo restaurant near by are exelent "

• Wee Boab by Wee Boab

"Cretan hospitality at its very finest "

• luckydog93 by luckydog93

"A good family run hotel, like home from home, you are made welcome the minute you arrive "

• munrobies by munrobies

"for a first holiday to crete with a family -perfect choice "

• Daddy by Daddy

"go out explore there's plenty of great beaches restaurants and things to do "

• Gintarele by Gintarele

"Great shows every evening, very nice location with hills behind and sea ahead, cleanliness, good service and attention all the time. "

• Bob A by Bob A

"No need to any more than turn up, and let the Anastasia do the rest "

• NathalieStClair by NathalieStClair

"Enjoy it, unwind, go with the flow and let the happiness take over "

• Bob A by Bob A

"Just go and enjoy the atmosphere "

Anastasia Hotel is also called