OPEN AIR JACCUZI

Good

is this realy a 4 star hotel

Reviewed 23rd August 2011

"just came home from sissi, weather great, staff good, only somethink to consider when booking all inclusive please take note a 4 star hotel you would think would come with a/c as temperatures are very high, 50 euros on your budget for this is to much as is 20 euros for safe keys in room io much.also one last thing toilet doors do not lock on complex i had to put my foot to the door."

• Travel date: 17th August 2011

Scarey

Reviewed 14th February 2011

"Just saw this on save my holiday.BBC1 omg this is 1 of the worst hotels i have ever been too. they had too move the poor family on tv... and i felt so soirry for them.. we didnt have kids thank god and only stayed 1 nt got out asap horrendous place please DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL...Filthey bedding.. stinking room... bare wires by pool. pool stunk,didnt have food and would never ever of touched it.... a disgrace to a stunning island/"

• Travel date: 13th February 2011

Trust me on this!!!!

Reviewed 29th September 2010

"Me and my partner went to the Sissi Bay Hotel back in June for a week and were both very dissapointed in this hotel. I must say that I will never be returning back to this place ever again... First when we arrived we had to pay for both Air conditioning and for the safe which both in total came to 70 euros (Great start to our holiday, dont think so)... Once we paid, we were then offered a cold plate as we were late arrivals, no joke but the food was horrible, only the bread was edible... When we were shown to our room, we literally wanted to head back to the UK. The shower curtains were hanging by a string of fishing line and was not up properly (seemed like it could have fallen down any second) The shower head was the flimsiest thing ever, (Think my tap at home blasted out more water than that thing)... The room floor was like an ice rink, sliding everywhere possible... The next day we reported to the reception and asked if we could pay to upgrade our room, we had to pay an extra 90 euros for the family room (THIS I WOULD DEFINATELY RECOMMEND, DO NOT STAY IN STANDARD ROOMS)... But be aware that when you do head back to your room at night, there is hardly any lighting so you wont know what you are walking into, we complained to the reception about this as this is very dangerous due to health and safety, and all they had to say to us is that many people have complained about this situation (Not being funny but if loads of people have complained about this why dont they have more lighting in this area (So a torch would come in handy for this holiday)... The breakfast was literally the same everyday, but except there was a change everyday from boiled eggs to scrambled eggs. For lunch and dinner, the hotel literally offers a choice from 6 dishes and salad, the salad was nice only if you like dried out cucumbers and peppers. Although we paid for All Inclusive, most of the nights we headed out for both lunch and dinner (I would recommend you save your money and go as self-catering). If you have kids, this is not the place for them for food. They did have a section for kids (Only if you class ONLY chips as a selection). The good thing about the hotel is that the pool was a nice temperature to get into and the family room is nice... Although on the website shows you images of the Spa and the indoor pool, You have to pay to use these facilities) I paid 3 euros to use the gym and when I went upstairs to use the facilites, they only had 6 equipment to choose from (No free standing weights) so I went to use the weight machine (Could anything else go wrong with us)... wait for it... YES, the machine broke on me (so I had to speak to the reception to get a refund)... Do not make the same mistake as we did, this may sound like we are fussy people or over the top but this is all true what I have mentioned. My ratings for this is based on the Standard room (Rating 1) but for the family room I would rate this at 7/10... To finish off this review, I would like to say once again that we were both dissapointed in this holiday and do recommend others to not make the same mistake as we did, the only things that we enjoyed throughout the holiday was the Pool, food outside of the hotel and the SUN. After this experience we feel that we will never return to Sissi itself, this is definately the part of Greece to avoid!!!"

• Travel date: 29th September 2010

a week is not enough to enjoy wonderful crete

Reviewed 14th September 2010

"i had read a few reviews of this hotel and had mixed feelings about my visit. we were greeted by a very helpful member of staff who helped us to the room with our luggage he was very polite even when we saw him walk around town he always said hello the room i can only say was sparse, a double bed and a single bed 2 bedside drawers dressing table 2 chairs and a fridge and tv. this was the all inclusive package i booked. i would have preferred a kettle and cups so i could make tea rather than a tv that i never used. the food, breakfast was the same every day eggs cooked 3 different ways smoked sausage beans and streaky bacon that had more fat on it than a butchers knife, cereals and a selection fruit and veg. all the waiting staff were very friendly kara,demetri are a couple of names that come to mind. the bar, the two nicos who tended the bar near the food hall were excellent nicos on the day shift was very pleasant attentive and interested in your home land and would often give good advice on the local area nicos on the night shift, brilliant he new how to handle the customers spoke several languages didnt suffer fools always had story to tell,a very proud creten and a wonderful host the area, a quiet fishing village with more than enough places to dine out, a lovely harbour very popular for swimming. i only found two sandy beaches in the area both of which are awkward to get to but not impossible 30 min walk from hotel cannot be reached any other way. even with the faults the hotel has i must say we really enjoyed our stay and would return again. the staff were always helpful and polite. i would like to mention some of the people who made our weeks holiday a pleasure, rita,rasty,adam,melissa,kara,demetri and the two nico`s thank you all and im sorry if i left out anyone else. "

• Travel date: 12th September 2010

Dont Go

Reviewed 19th August 2010

"Returned 14th August 2010 after 2 weeks at the hotel. Cockroaches enter the bedrooms without barrier or concern on the parts of the owners. My son found one on his back when waking from sleeping. On the second day we returned to our room to find it flooded as the drain outside had blocked and everyone elses shower water had seeped into the room, it took an hour to get some help from the hotel to rectify the situation (noone appears to care). If your room is situated close to the pool or restaurant areas, dont expect to have an early night, or a lay in in the morning, because the noise is horrendous. Even when the c**p entertainment is finished, the overly and unneccesarily loud music goes on regardless. Demotivated and over worked staff; overseen by two tyrant owners who watch everything going on, but contribute very little and moan about how unhygenc it is for kids to wear t shirts in the pool; I pointed out that this is less unhygenic than having a cockroach run across your face as you try to sleep. All inclusive guests are treated like second class citizens, small drinks delivered with a frown (cant get a pint, so spend lots of time standing at the bar waiting in a queue, hacking the staff off even more that they feel they are doing you a favour). They have no local whiskey, you cant have a gin and tonic cos tonic isnt included etc etc etc. The bar is an especially bad experience in the evening when a particularly nasty and angry little piece of work called Nikos is on duty (whilst there I heard him shout at 4 different guests, I wanted him to shout at me but he chose to pick on those who seemed weaker than himself, a right bully) - not to be confused with the Nikos who works the bar during the day who is a complete gentleman and Kara who works the restaurant who is similarly lovely. The entertainment is a total joke, delivered by an entertainment team, who mostly appear to entertain themselves (stick to the kids entertainment guys, cos everything else is pure garbage, it may entertain the eastern europeans who are on their first holiday, but everyone else thinks its rubbish). I believe the entertainment is so poor to ensure that you leave the hotel in the evenings and dont use any drinks or the low quality snacks). All inclusive ends at 11pm (a first in my experience of all inclusive). Outside of the bedrooms (were you have to pay for aircon) nowhere else in the hotel is air conditioned and so expect to melt wherever you sit).Dont change euros, the commission is so high that on one occassion I received a rate of almost one euro to one pound. Food is ok and varied. Enjoyed the fact that you can eat outside overlooking the med and this was the best part of the hotel for me. I honestly wouldnt be caught dead in this hotel again. Even by greek standards it isnt 4 star and it is not traditional all inclusive (just another opportunity to rip you off). Reading one or two of the other reviews all I can say is that some people are easily pleased (generally the drunken ones who sat drinking from 10 in the morning to 12 at night - all nationalities). If you do decide to go, then dont expect much, cos that is what you will get. "

• Travel date: 18th August 2010

unfriendly staff, cleaning???, 4* ????

Reviewed 11th August 2010

"My family and I just came back from our trip to Crete. We stayed in the 4 star hotel Sissi Bay. I wasn't the first time for us in crete, but it was the first time in sissi bay and certainly the last time. As we arrived in the evening, we didn't get a warm welcom in the hotel. they were very unfriendly to start. The brief lady from the reception showed our room. It was a fast tour in the appartment because they know already that the room didn't agree with a 4****. The room was without any luxury. No decoration, not a little bit of soap or shampoo. Some of the towels had holes in it as well. The next day at breakfast it seemed to be ok, also at dinnertime we were kind off happy by the choises they had. BUT... THE STAFF!!!! so UNFRIENDLY and even rude. We saw them laughing with there guests after theirs back. Amazing!!!! Also the food didn't had teh quality that you could say...MMMMM, that's nice. We were first on halfboard and we had to change it to only bed and breakfast. We couldn't look at the unfriendly staff anymore. There are enough other places in town where you have excellent food for less money. Internet??? They don't know how it works in the lobby with your own laptop. No airconditioning in reception-lobby. Airconditioning in the room??? Works only when all the doors and windows are closed. And only in 1 room, we had an appartment with 2 bedrooms and a kind of a kitchen. So the children didn't had airco. The clainigstaff, they do their best, but if you want to sleep out a little, that is impossible. They don't want to come back later, or only 15min later. The only thing that was good was the pool. It was a nice pool for the kids. But also not that clean. We mostly went to a beach. "

• Travel date: 11th August 2010

Beautiful location, worst hotel ever!

Reviewed 9th August 2010

"Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for 12 nights in July 2010. We arrived at 5 in the morning to rude reception staff that demanded money off us for a safe and air con. We were directed to our room which was supposed to have a garden view, but instead was a rubbish tip. In the morning we went an explored the hotel to find that the all inclusive was not until midnight like we were told, it ended at 11. Water we had to pay for which disgusted most guests. Food was ok, not much variety and was ocassionally the same everyday. Drinks were minimal and the alcohol was watered down. Nikos, Jimmy and Adam were our favourite bar staff. The rest of the staff were extremely rude and always shouted, including the cleaners who yelled at one another at 6 in the morning. The manager always got into arguments with guests if they ever had any complaints. The cushions on the sun loungers were covered in sweat and dirt, they were never cleaned which wasn't very pleasant. The shower always leaked and the handyman wasn't able to fix it. Beds were like sleeping on the rocks down the beach, matresses were damp and stunk. We were given two towels once a week and were told if we needed anymore we would have to pay. Me and my partner hired a quad for the day which was amazing. Deffinatley would recommend to do this because the scenery is breathtaking. Also the local town was good but we were constantly bombarded by greek men asking us to buy their products. The beaches were gorgeous, nice clear waters. We spent most of the time out of the hotel. We were told on arrival that we would recieve the money we paid for the safe back at the end of our stay, this money was never seen. Overall a very disappointing hotel but beautiful location. "

• Travel date: 8th August 2010

2 Weeks in September 2009

Good
Reviewed 1st October 2009

"Myself and my Husband are not "seasoned Travellers", having previously been to Guernsey, Jersey, visits to family in Spain and Gibraltar, and for the last5 years, have journeyed all over England, Wales, in our Motorhome. This year, we decided we would like a complete change, and would try a holiday somewhere not too far away, but with decent weather, and chose Sept mainly because we thought it would not be too hot. Many colleagues had been to Crete, and we chose Crete because of this mainly. Arrived at Sissi Bay Hotel on 15th Sept, and were all inclusive. Shown to our room by a friendly Receptionist, who kindly carried my case all the way from Reception to the Junior Suite the other side of the road, as I was completely tired out from the journey, and all that goes with getting ready to travel etc. The accommodation was cool, modern, and above all sparkling clean. There was a lovely bathroom with a huge mirror, and a bath, with shower above. Lovely clean white soft towels. The big double bed was a bit harder than we are used to, but nevertheless, we slept well in it. There was a nice little room with a single bed in it, and a kettle etc hidden behind a cupboard, which was nice. The little balcony was furnished with chairs and a table, and there was a view of the sea, albeit excluded a bit by the palm trees and the flora and fauna, but this was very pleasant, and in fact, I have quite a few photos just of the beautiful shrubs and flowers, as they were so exotic. We attended for meals most of the time, as we were all inclusive,however, I don't drink much alcohol at all, and would have loved to have had fresh orange juice made from actual fresh oranges on the spot all the time, but would have had to pay each time, 2.50 Euros, so I made do with draught lemonade sprite. My husband made up for my share of the all inclusive alcoholic drinks though. We got to know the waiters and waitresses, all of whom were unfailingly polite and friendly towards us, and nothing was too much trouble. The food catered for all different nationalities at one time or another. Lots of fresh salads, lovely museli and greek yoghurt with honey was my favourite breakfast, and this could be followed by either cheese, hams, sausage and breads, or a sort of full english breakfast some days, and others, well, you could have boiled eggs, or scrambled, or fried, and little sausages and baked beans. There were lots of different breads. The lunches were a choice of hot or cold, and my favourite was when they did a greek mousaka. It was heavenly. The lamb just melted in your mouth, and the pork was really tasty too. All in all, the meals were different. Some people complained there was no curry or spicy things to eat, but on the whole, the food was wholesome and always served hot. If something had run out, they quickly re-filled it. Dinner was formal in as much as, it was the done thing to dress up a bit, but for breakfast and lunch you could turn up in your shorts and bikini top if you liked. Some days we ate outside as the weather the first week felt hot to us. I noticed that some seasoned travellers said it was not very hot, but it was fine for us. Basically, I have no qualms in saying that the hotel did its best to ensure a pleasant stay, with every member of staff being interested in people, and in making sure they had all they needed. I must just say, I was a bit taken aback by the sanitary arrangements in Crete, which I hear is the same in Greece and some other countries, and did not like having to use bins and not put paper down the toilet. However, the standards of cleanliness was such that the hard working cleaners kept it all ship shape, and spotlessly clean every day. We had nice clean towels every couple of days, and clean sheets to sleep in with the rooms done every day but Sunday. This was fine. The Hotel was fine. It was outside where I had a few qualms. There was no access to an actual beach from the hotel, as it was built on a rocky shoreline. You could go to the beach down the road and pay 8 euros to go on their beach, and use the umbrellas, which we did not do. We walked to the next beach up, which was very rough and wild. I attempted to paddle in the sea, but the shingle was difficult to walk on, and I gave up after five minutes. We walked everywhere, because I did not want to drive, having seen the Greek Bus Driver on the public bus driving along, on his mobile, holding the wheel with one finger, travelling at 89 kms in a 50 km road, and smoking a cigarette at the same time. Plus, the more adventurous tourists took a hire car, or a beach buggy, or a scooter or a quad bike. I just did not want to drive over there, and did not want my Husband to drive there either, so it was our choice. However, we did go out on a boat trip with a barbeque to a beach where everyone could get out and swim in waters overlooking what used to be a hippy beach 50 years ago, where there is 30% more salt in the water, and people snorkelled and swam. Sadly, I did not swim as I got seasick on the boat, and it spoiled the day for me. Otherwise it was a beautiful trip. We used the public buses to go to Knosses, Stalis, Hiraklion etc, so we did not miss out. Hiraklion Museum was fantastic. Anyone visiting it can find out all about the two Byzantine periods and the history of Crete, plus there is a lovely section devoted to World War 2 where names of people killed could be found, and details of where to look for Military Cemetaries were listed. There were lots of Cretian Crafts, and mock ups of Cretian Houses too. It is not signposted very well though, but you get a bus to Hiraklion Bus Station, and it is parallel with the sea all the way without diverting off to the shops. We walked a lot, and saw lovely scenes of goats and kids and billy goats, and lots of beautiful flowers and unusual plants. It was great to see orange groves, olive groves, limes banannas etc all growing, and the pomegranite season was just beginning too. These were all 10 minutes walk from Sissi Bay. We also went on the "Happy Train", and that was the highlight of our stay. Up into the mountains, fresh air, sea views, and a short visit to an unspoilt Cretian Village, plus a visit to a lovely harbour at Milasol, with fishing boats bobbing about, and restaurants selling fresh fish. Only problem was, we did not have long to stay there, so had to miss out on the food. Saw some amazing birds in the mountains, and more amazing plants etc. I think in some ways, we saw more of the real Crete than people who were dashing about from one place to another in cars, and we spoke to a lot of Cretian people, local people who mostly spoke english, both in the shops at at the Harbour. The Harbour in Sissi Bay has plenty of restaurants, and we particularly liked the one at the bottom of the harbour with the ducks quacking for titbits. It was run by Eva and the cook was Dina, both were very nice people indeed, and we had a few nice chats with them. The other Bar we liked, and it was just a bar, only drinks and the odd snack in the way of food. It was overlooking the Harbour, and had lovely white cane furniture, and they did a wonderful sangria, or an iced coffee. I had the sangria just by way of having something a little bit alcoholic and felt really refreshed and happy when we left there. The chap in there is so accommodating, and everything was so clean, and pleasant. We walked to Palm Bay, and visited the souvenir shops, and walked around the harbour and along the sea wall over there. This part was particularly exhilarating, as the sea was choppy, and the waves crashed against the rocks, but in the Harbour, people swam as it was so safe. Entertainment was basic at the Hotel, but it was free, so cannot complain. Not my cup of tea. However, the Cretian Night with Cretian Dancers and buffet was superb. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I danced with lots of lots of others, and the food was smashing. We did not mind paying for this night, it was well worth it. If you wanted more entertainment, there was a little thatched hut affair, with a bar, on the other side of the complex, near to our apartment, which was run in the daytime by multi lingual Sabina, who chatted with everyone in any language. In the evening, the bar was run by Jimmy the Geordie. Mine Host Extra Special who holds a Karaoke on a Monday and Thursday night. Very friendly chap, who made everyone feel special, and made the most exotic cocktails. To finish, I would say it is very much what you make it, if you go to Sissi Bay Hotel. They cater for families, with little babies and toddlers just as well, as they cater for people like us, couples in their early sixties who want some relaxation. Speaking of relaxation, the lady who runs the spa and massage section was dutch, and very very nice to speak to. We also made lots of friends in our time there. "The Girls, fiona and Kate", Dawn and Spenser, Derek and Sandra, Ellis and Mel, who seemed to enjoy themselves too. The downside was the mosquitos, they really liked me, and I have the big bites to prove it, so take some anti mossie cream, or some cream to put on the bites with you, otherwise, you have to buy the special cream from the Pharmacy in the village, and it cost me over £13.00 a tube. All in all, for a first experience of staying for two weeks away in a hot climate, we had a relaxing holiday, and feel the better for it, but at the end, I was ready to return to work, as I am not used to relaxing for so long, ha ha. Carole and Mike Buttle."

• Travel date: 1st October 2009

read this review.

Reviewed 15th September 2009

"The hotel is ok i suppose the food is nice and the pools and beaches are OK, but the staff there are crap who hate all inclusive people apart from the person who worked at the bar hes so good looking, (looks like robert pattinson by the way;])hes really friendly didnt used to talk to other people though, only me bahahaha.. oh yeh and DONT go to the taxi station they hav in sissi, its awful the guy who works for it is really pervy and took me to his house instead of the hotel. so the hotel is quite good, but the people there are rather strange buy if your ugly they might be different to you;)"

• Travel date: 11th September 2009

Sissi Bay is a really nice hotel leave it alone

Reviewed 28th August 2009

"Omg leave sissi bay alone its an amazing hotel woth lovely views and really hard working staff. A nice room with lots of space. There are 4 pools and they are all nice u have the indoor pool in the spa witch has a fountain and a jacuse and the kids pool has a water slide and a little pool at the frount witch is also nice to but then uve got the mane one witch is salt water but is really big and deep. There is also a park for the kids. The food is lovley with a wide selectoin of vaious foods plus its yummy. I would tottaly recomend you to stay here and dont listen to anyone that said its a bad hotel. So if your looking to go to Crete for a week or more go to Sissi Bay hotel! "

• Travel date: 28th August 2009

Wonderful!!!!!

Reviewed 6th August 2009

"Just returned from the most beautiful place on earth! I cannot understand what people are moaning about! On arrival to the hotel we recieved a friendly welcome and were taken to our room, which was spotless and massive! Every member of staff was hard working and very friendly, the lady at the little bar across the road always took the time to have a proper chat and she was very funny. The food was lovely, a different choice everyday. I'm vegetarian and a bit fussy but I ate well all week. The meat dishes looked nice although I obviously didn't try them. It was mainly greek food, which is what we wanted, would have been disapointed if it wasn't. Breakfast was great, my partner was particually impressed with the bacon, which he said is usually rubbish abroad. The local beer was spot on, no watered down rubbish. The spirits were good too, no half measures. The smallest pool is very quiet with lovely modern sun loungers, the pool at the main part of the hotel was a bit too deep for me, but the pool across the road was perfect, especially the bubble pool, could have spent hours in there! If you wern't bothered which pool you wanted to be near there wasn't the need to set the alarm for stupid o'clock to reserve a bed, there are plenty and they all have cushions which was really nice. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, it was beautiful. Ignore all the bad reviews, some people just like to moan!!! For the money you pay it is excellent value! It is definatly a 4* GREEK hotel! which is totally different to an eglish 4* hotel. If you go to this hotel expecting the Hilton than you may be dissapointed, but go with realistic expectaions and you will have a brilliant holiday. I wish I was there again now, i'm already planning to book for next year, just got to persued the other half to go for two weeks this time! Go on, give it a go!"

• Travel date: 5th August 2009

Sissi Bay resort lovely but choose another hotel

Reviewed 17th July 2009

"I love Greek holidays and have been on many but would say do not visit this hotel. It is not 4* as I have stayed in apartments in Greece that are 2* and they were better than The Sissi Bay. Our room must of been one of the older ones and needed decoratiing and was nothing like the photo's we saw on the web site. It was clean but the bathroom was in need of a lot of care and attention but was clean. Rooms are cleaned every day apart from Sunday, towels changed when they feel like it and bedding every 3 days. We arrived early hours of the morning and were taken to our room by helpful, cheerful night porter who delivered our bags and left us to settle in and went to show the next people to their rooms. I found all the staff to be the same, helpful and cheerful and a pleasure to be arround - what is the problem I hear you ask:- The childrens pool was not cleaned for the two weeks we were there and the same bits rubbish was left on the bottom the whole of our stay. Do not know about the large pool by the bar but it is connected to the childrens pool. The childrens pool is also leaking quited badly and makes the floor slippy but they covered this up by moving a boat, (used for BBQ evining), by the side of it cutting the dining area in half. We did not use the other two pools as one is very small and the other is geared for the childred, the indoor pool you have to pay 8 euros per day to use. The food was between poor and not very good, very miss match and 3 occasion's they ran out of the 2 main courses and 5 or 6 one of the main courses, their being only two main courses caused a lot of bad feeling. Water is not provided in the resteraunt and if required has to be paid for and drinks have to be collected from the bar apart from the evening meal. There is a BBQ night once every two weeks at a extra cost but should you decide not to attend the dining room is only open between 18.00 and 18.30 and you have to use the bar accross the road for drinks. The entertainment is run by a guy and two girls, he is rubbish and annoying but the girls work hard and are lovely, he has a habbit of annoying people and was told off by 3 sets of parents during our visit with complaints put on record. The chess board advertised is part of the food area now and volley ball court needs a good clean and get rid of the grass frowing one it. All other advertised sports are not in the hotel but are in bars down the road and have to be paid for. The beach is a 10 min walk away and sunbeds and brolly are 11 euros per day or futher down 14 euros per day. I thought that a cost of 38 euros for two weeks for safety depost box was over priced but thought the air con was par for the course. You do pay for everything, even the book exchange is charged, if you pick a book you pay 7 euros and when you return it they give you 5 euros back, never known that before. The hotel was full of fed up people, whatever board basis they had booked and most were glad they had only booked for a week. Never have I been on a holdiay where so many people have had so many bad things to say about a place and where all their complaints were justified. There are some very good resteraunts in the are The Fishermans Place and a Taverna at the side of Hemmingways Bar both are excellent as we did eat in them as did many people we met. Next door to the hotel is a bar called the Jolly Roger used by all nations and enjoyed by all, also Hemingways and The Irish Bar, many great Greek places all good to visit. "

• Travel date: 17th July 2009
  • ...

Hotels near Sissi Bay Hotel & Spa

Top traveller tips for Sissi Bay Hotel & Spa

• by mikey

"re consider charges for a/c and safe keys"

• by henzo

"a good base to explore the island from"

• by Honesty

"Have been to Greece many times and this was the worst hotel I have stayed at"

• by Scott1234

"Crete was gorgeous, beautiful weather and fantastic surroundings"

• by caroleme

"Walking in the Crete Countryside, seeing the beautiful flora and fauna. Harbour Restaurants"

• by becca4eva

"its a wonderfull hotel go there!"

• by almond114

"Jolly Roger! Cocktails are brill- banoffe dream yum yum!"

Sissi Bay Hotel & Spa is also called