Castello Village Resort

Papatheodorou, Sissi, Crete 724 00 Greece

Good

See you all next year !!

"Lovely hotel, got back last night after my second stay there in 4 months, mum has been 3 times.
Its so warm and friendly, all the staff are helpful and smiley, gives you the feel good factor.
3 of the staff come over before we left and said goodbye , never had that before. They go out their way to help you, will definitely go again."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of September 2016

Lovely hotel, lovely resort

"My family and I stayed at the Castello Village for 2 weeks and it's hard to find much wrong with it. We loved it and the fact that it is a 2 minute stroll to the harbour with a super array of tavernas just makes it better. We stayed bed and breakfast so were eating out every night and we only visited a couple of places more than once. There is so much choice. Most of the food conforms to similar type, but it is very good and reasonably priced. Remezzo, at the top of the harbour is a little more expensive but the food is noticeably different and delicious and the staff very friendly - like everyone around here in fact!! The Castello Village itself has a really relaxed atmosphere, everyone is so helpful and our room was cleaned efficiently every day. We spent most days down at the bottom pool, which was a bit less crowded, but really nowhere seemed very busy, despite the place being full. The entertainment was... interesting :o). They tried very hard and I'm sure it was OK if you like that sort of thing, but we prefererred to stay in the village for a bit longer or go for a walk most nights. The clientele are a mix of Germans, Dutch and British mostly, with a few Italians and French, most being German I'd say, but everyone got on very well so it wasn't really an issue. All in all a great holiday, very relaxing. Even my 18 year old daughter enjoyed it! Mind you, she'd just been to Magalluf for a week so needed the rest!! I'd recommend it for families or couples who want something a little less hectic than Malia, which is 10 minutes along the coast."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of September 2010

Not a 4 star!

"Hotel cost about £170 for two people for half board in late October. This was excellent value for money. Did the hotel match up to its 4 star rating? No, definitely not, compared to other hotels we have stayed in. Hotel site was compact, there was no car park. Advertised as bungalow style was misleading, expected more spacious grounds - most of the rooms were in two or three storey blocks - we heard several people asking to change room for various reasons. Our room was below the swimming pool pumps which were noisy at night. On positive side an effort was made to put entertainment on each night and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful where they could be. Good variety of food, some traditional, however very little was piping hot which was not helped by cold plates.

We met another couple at our hotel and enjoyed their company, which made our stay much more pleasurable.

It was our first visit to Crete, we hired a car at the airport. The journey was about 40 minutes. We arrived late and unexpectedly travelled in the dark and were lucky to find Sissi and the hotel (we had asked hotel for directions, but they never replied). Sissi is on the north coast with a couple of very small sandy coves, but mostly jagged rocks, so other than hotel, very few places to sit out. There were lots of bars, tavernas, restaurants and supermarkets, but many were starting to close at the end of October. As an "older" couple we preferred to go to Aghios Nikolaos and Elouda, they both seemed more up-market and sheltered.

• Travel date: Fri 31st of October 2008

Well just returned from an absolutely fa...

"Well just returned from an absolutely fantastic holiday at this hotel.

Hi the Finchs yes I believe we have been given strict instructions to return next August we are looking at going on 16th for a fortnight, but prior to that we are leaving the kids at home and doing a week in the new boutique across the road and have requested a jaccuzi bath on 26th June.

We were given the best room in the hotel booked directly with them and requested that specific room. Could not fault it one bit. Air con unit in each room two large bedrooms and one large living room, small cooking area and bathroom was a nice size.

The staff were as friendly as ever and I must admit Manolis the new chef is great the food has improved ten fold not that it wasnt good before it just means you end up eating more than you normally would be warned you'l need to diet when you get home.

I really cannot fault any of the staff at the hotel from the Manager Nikos down to the Handyman Malcolm, the barstaff Kostas, Agellos, Doreen and Izzy, and restuarant staff Stella, Ervis and the rest of the clan are so friendly and are only too happy to help you out if you need any assistance. No mater how small dont be afraid to ask.

We attended the International night since we do the Creatian night every year we go and I must admit I really enjoyed it they had a band on who played everything from Creatian/Greek music to 70's 80's and 90's also for one couple who loved to waltz they even played the Viennese Waltz so as you can see they cater for everyone. Along with the band they had a Belly Dancer who was excellant.

There is somthing different entertainment wise each night at the hotel and for all you footie fans they have a big screen at the bottom bar which has most of the football on during the season.

Each year there appears to be something different at the hotel which isnt a bad thing. The only complaint my husband had was that they did not sell John Smith's Bitter but following a conversation with the Manager prior to leaving we have been assured that it was be on the menu next year.

The Animation staff were great this year and the children really enjoyed themselves with the Volleyball, Waterpolo, pool, darts etc plenty to keep them occupied. They also operate a Mini Club for the toddlers in a fully airconditioned room.

The hotel offers full internet access at the cost of 1 euro for 16 minutes.

I have uploaded pictures of the hotel and staff feel free to have a look.

I really have no fault with Sissi either it is such a nice village but each year we return there seems to be another restaurant or bar that has opened.

We tend to spend a few nights in the Jolly Roger (the English Pub next door) but this is for the Bitter more than anything. Danielle and Dave are great and the English breakies are second to none. Dont worry if you dont get up for breakfast at the hotel if your hungover Danielle will do a take out which I used regularly this year lol. They have quiz nights and live music on and its the hub of all the ex pats so plenty english to speak to.

Well I'll be back at the hotel in 6 weeks time for a quiet girls week just to chill out and relax so will let you know what the weather is like in October.

We booked direct with the hotel and flew with EasyJet."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

Hey, I am 17 years old and i loved it. i...

"Hey,
I am 17 years old and i loved it. i did go with my parents and brother but i made friends with all the staff. i loved everyone there especially Kostas :D My parents loved it and so did my younger brother. It is a place for any age and everyone there (staff and guests) were so friendly and made my holiday the best eve. i have never wanted to go back somewhere but i could easily go back there next year.

Jessica"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of August 2008

I returned to Sissi after a twenty year...

"I returned to Sissi after a twenty year absence to find it had grown from a one bar one taverna village into something larger. However nowhere near the size of Malia/Heronissos so pleasantly suprised.
This time I was accompanied by wife and daughter!
Great holiday. Staff are excellent, friendly and very helpful.
Animation team are excellent. Thanks Fazzi,Ali,Nora and Tomas for keeping our daughter amused.
Thanks to Costas and Isobel at the pool bar.
Special thanks to Stella and Ervis, excellent food and Cretan wine.
Booked through TravelRepublic, Excellent!

See you soon"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2008

This is our 3rd visit in less than 12 mo...

"This is our 3rd visit in less than 12 months. The reason we keep going back is the staff, the repeat guests who meet we again and again and hotel/location. There has been a huge improvement in the food in the hotel and for the kids/adults there is a new animation team who will keep you busy all day and with quizzes etc in the evenings.
This hotel has big plans for next year with 5* apartments being built over the road. As we are constantly told, we're not guests we are friends. The Keenans if we could be back in August we would! Your Gemma and our Tom are now trying to orchestrate it!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of July 2008

On arrival at the reception my initial t...

Good

"On arrival at the reception my initial thought was, this is very nice, however, once taken to our room I was a little disappointed. This was our honeymoon and we had two single beds, the room was very dull and small also had a very old fridge and and no kettle.

One of the reasons I'd booked the Castello Village was because it was supposed to be four star accommodation, the rest of the hotel maybe was, but not our room. I didn't let this spoil our holiday though, the staff were great, Kostas behind the bar is an absolute star, he made us laugh so much, he really helped make our holiday. A word of warning though, watch out for the raki, lethal stuff, Kostas likes to pour quite a few.

Sissi itself is lovely but we felt it was a bit of a distance from most of the major attractions although we hired a jeep we didn't want to travel to far. There are loads of tavernas and restaurants, all very good, especially if you like fish.

Overall we had a good holiday, a week was long enough though, I wouldn't recommend the Castello for young couples, it's good for families as the staff are great with kids."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

Hello the Finchs. We met you when you c...

"Hello the Finchs. We met you when you came back in the August.

I have no complaints at all about this hotel. When we first booked to stay here we were a bit apprehensive because of the reports we had read about the German guests, but this as we found out was not a problem at all when we arrived.

My family and I have been staying at this hotel now for the past 3 years and have never found complaint once with the standard of the hotel or with the staff.

Sissi is an excellent place to go if you want unspoilt Creatian life. There are a few bars and plenty of tavernas. One bar in particular will stay open as long as there are people in there drinking and the music isn't that bad either plays pretty much anything. Many a night was enjoyed stumbling back to the hotel.

The people in Sissi are absolutely lovely anything you need you just ask and its there for you.

The hotel itself all the staff are English speaking which was a great help considering the first year we went we were one of the only English families there, now there seems to be more and more each year.

Plenty of Dutch, French and Italian at the hotel which seem to make up the rest of the people that stay. The Germans that stay keep themselves to themselves and are the majority at the hotel, but from what I've been told from the Management at the hotel this is set to change this year as two English tour operators are now booking for this hotel.

They have so many different room types, so there is something for everyone. Their family rooms are so big and spacious that as a family of 5 (including 3 teenagers) we weren't tripping over each other which is a big problem normally. They also have suites with a seaview which are bigger than the family room if you need them. Each room has a fridge, hairdryer, safe, air-con, cooking stove etc.

Food here is great there is such a large variety and Minolis the Head Chef is happy to make or get anything for you if you give him enough notice. I'd definitely give the food a 10/10 rating, something different every night no repetition in the second week so you don't get fed up with it. The only problem is its that nice you find your clothes don't fit the following week.

Bar staff are excellent you have Kostas in the pool bar upstairs who will keep serving beer till you go to bed and loves the fact the English and Dutch are always at the bar keeping the German guests awake. The funniest thing that happened this visit was a German came running up to the bar in his underwear to tell us to keep the noise down, which as you can imagine only led us to make even more noise.

You then have Angelos on the lower bar this man is an absolute nutcase and loves fire and his whistle. Nightly he sets fire to his bar, the floor inside the bar and enjoys igniting approximately 100 sparklers which he puts inside an orange. He is also an avid Arsenal fan so be warned.

Waiters/Waitresses are brilliant, Stella, Doreen, Elvis and the rest of the clan. They are all happy to help and all speak fluent English. If you have any problems no matter how small let them know they will sort it out for you.

Finally the Management you have Nikos (General Manager) and Georgios (Assistant Manager) both of these are great. They ensure that you enjoy your holiday to the full any problems with the rooms etc see Georgios its sorted within minutes for you.

Well that's all from me we've booked for 3 weeks next year straight through August and cant wait to get back we've made so many new friends and the good thing about this hotel is that the people you met the year before often return the following year and its great to catch up with them.

Hope you all enjoy your stay at the hotel as much as we do every year."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of September 2007

We would like to take this opportunity t...

"We would like to take this opportunity to say that this hotel offered everything you could ask for on holiday. All the staff made so much effort to make us feel special and creating a brilliant holiday. We cannot fault our stay and will definitely be returning in the future.

Kostas and Doreen behind the bar were brilliant and were always very good at getting everyone in the holiday mood each evening and keeping everyone there merry making. We only went to the quieter bar a couple of times but this was top service too, although a different atmosphere still good and a great alternative in a lovely setting.

The food and beverages manager and Stella welcomed us and made us feel welcome and that continued through out the whole stay with Elvis and waiting staff and chefs everyone contributing to excellent service.

Katharina looked after us very well during the day and because of this we hardly moved away from the pool area as there was no need, as we had everything there for us.

The entertainments team worked hard to involve everyone and always had time to make jokes and ask how we were day and night.

The chambermaids were excellent and kept us very happy with their excellent care they gave us.

It really was a great holiday and would have no problem in recommending this hotel to others as it was very personal and looking forward to going back to Castello Village Aparthotel.

• Travel date: Wed 19th of September 2007

It is always difficult to judge a hotel...

"It is always difficult to judge a hotel when you arrive in the middle of the night. The Night Manager was very friendly, even though I had forgotten the Hotel Voucher! The only negative on the first night was that I was bitten alive by a mosquito - take a plug-in, it will save you the inconvenience! We didn't understand the air conditioning on the first night so we were hot. However, things got better. Most of the guests were Dutch, very friendly and there was no battling for sunbeds round the pool - plenty of beds and no-one put towels on at 5am in the morning!

We went Bed and breakfast with our two sons who were in a separate twin room, they rarely made it to breakfast but we enjoyed the varied food at breakfast and were able to take food back to the boys in their room with no problem whatsoever.

The Cretan night was a hoot - dancing, drinking and very good food. We'd made friends (as had our kids) by then so we had a good table right next to the bar and joined in the dancing. To be honest we made friends with both English and Dutch people.

The staff really are a bonus to this hotel, it is difficult to single anyone out, everyone was so friendly, they really do put UK hotel staff to shame, they can't do enough for you and the maids don't knock you out of bed at 10 am. We have actually booked to go back in August of this year and will be going back next year too.

Sissi is a really pretty little place, unspoilt with plenty of good food, the only negative restaurant was Mama Mia - food was dreadful and so was the Chef. He doesn't know how to take positive criticism on board - I worked in the hotel industry for 12 years, have travelled all over the World and, sorry Chef, if something isn't right, I'll tell you.

• Travel date: Wed 25th of July 2007

Greek hotel systems are so superior to E...

"Greek hotel systems are so superior to English hotels in every way, particularly in the following categories: The hotel was very clean at all times. The meals were all self service so no-one was waiting for extra toast, coffee, tea etc. The rooms electric supply was activated by magnet on key you attached to wall, so on leaving room you took key with you so everything was switched off, how environmentally friendly is that!?

The staff were very helpful & so friendly all of the time, unlike English hotel staff. The entire staff were also as easy talking in English as they were in German. The food was very good, with plenty of choice. No litter anywhere. How many English hotels can match that? Very few! We can still learn from the Greeks. The hotel guests were 80% Germans. The Germans were polite but gave one the distinct, very clear impression they did not wish to mix with any English people, who made up 10%, but just their own, other Germans.

Only thing I could not understand is why the bar inside was not opened at night rather than just the pool bar. Also, why the hotel did not take advantage of extra revenue by serving coffee & cakes in the lounge after lunch & dinner. The beer was very good, the Greek red wine was very heavy, like drinking sherry. The entertainers at night, a man & woman were beyond pathetic, they were that bad. Plus the air con was extra 4.5 euros per night.

My wife & I were given twin beds (fault of First Choice) despite clearly titled man & wife. On asking to change we were told hotel was fully booked. The rooms were basic, did not match the hotel's 4* rating as the rest of the hotel did. The tourist information rep at local TIC in the village was an English woman who was as helpful as a chocolate kettle! However, that is the only negatives I can think of, so I give the hotel an overall 9 out of 10. First Choice were not so good. We had not been told about the rep, so missed the talk next day after arrival & he/she did not leave a note for us to contact. We rang FC at Heraklion airport to ask if departure flight would be delayed because of the appalling weather conditions, thunder, lightening & torrential rain all day.

They informed us no & we needed to be at airport anyway for check in at correct time, 16.50 hours. As they told us this the plane had already been diverted to Athens to wait out the storm & did not arrive until 5 hours later! So why FC tell people to bother to ring in the first place to check is beyond my understanding!

Despite waiting, thanks to FC (we could have waited in our hotels until storm had passed over & plane was back on it's way over from Athens), by having to sit on the floor of departure lounge for 5 hours FC did not think to offer everyone so much as a free drink! Instead, on boarding at 23.50 hours they passed round questionnaires on your holidays to be filled in! Some morons actually did fill them in!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of October 2006

Hotels near Castello Village Resort

Stayed at Castello Village Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Castello Village Resort

• PhilC by PhilC

"Try all the Tavernas round the harbour "

• cazweb by cazweb

"A little more English type food, Bacon, maybe an English pudding . Although food is excellent. "

Castello Village Resort is also called