Minos Hotel

5 Machiton Scholis Chorofylakis Str, Rethymnon, Crete 741 33 Greece

Good

Great hotel! Helpfull staff, delicious food!!

"We've stayed in Minos Hotel from 01.07 til 11.07, and just loved it! Everyone was very friendly and helpfull. The room was simple, but clean, with a (working) fridge and good airconditioning. We had a small terrace with chairs and a table.

The pool-area was very nice, with enough sunbeds and a nice terrace. Every day there were new activities to participate in - but we've mainly relaxed. It takes about 3 minutes to walk down to the beach and about 15 to 20 minutes to walk to the city center.

Through the reception we booked a car for 3 days, and were even allowed to have a "free-day" in between without extra charge.

Overall, a nice hotel, friendly staff and the breakfast and diner buffet were great!! If I'd ever return to Crete I would certainly choose this hotel again!"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2007

great very welcome try the exprience

"we stayed at the minos hotel for 7 nights what a delight the place was. it has just been refurbished and what a great job has been done, we were told it was a 3 star hotel but is more like a 4 star. the bedroom accommodation was great nice and clean the maid who came every day did a great job with little extra touches thrown in. the view from our balcony was of the pool area and the sun terrace .
all the staff made you feel very welcome treating everyone the same with courtesy and nothing was too much trouble. i am hopefully returning next year as i enjoyed the hotel so much. the entertainment was brillient the animation man made sure there was something for all ages, he did not push you into doing anything,

a down side would be we only had a little glimpse of the sea from our room. rethymnon was a great mixture of old and new, with the old town being a joy to explore.i am recommending this hotel to all my freinds"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

Safe and relaxing holiday

Good

"A professionally run hotel - well managed. Excellent staff and all eager to please and most polite (some have worked there for many years). High standard of cleanliness, both outside and inside. Cretan people completely trustworthy - put the UK to shame!
Rethymnon is a bustling, working town and tourism is dominant. The hotel overlooks a busy old road (not a motorway) and there is traffic noise - we didn't think this was a problem. Buses stop a few metres away, taxis are good, but it's a short crossing to the beach and a pleasant walk along the seafront to the harbour and Old Town.
Some excursions can be matched by public transport at less than half price - ask the staff for advice.
It seems that room qualities vary - some are gloomy - ours was excellent. We paid for a fridge and safe deposit box. Aircon satisfactory.
Food caters for a wide European clintele - plain but plenty of it. For a special occasion take a taxi into the hills for a Greek restaurant. We were advised to avoid the tourist seafood restaurants at the harbour side.
If you can, book the Land Rover 4x4 adventure - a wonderful day out with a helpful and honest courier/driver.
Overall - hot, totally relaxing, thoroughly enjoyable."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

Great location, food, service

Good

"I am surprised how much the experiences differ in the previous reviews. There are some things that were totally different from what we experienced. For example our airconditioning worked just fine. And we were glad we had it because it was really hot in july 2006. Also our fridge (we did not have to pay any extra money for the key) worked just fine and is definitely big enough for the things you need on such a vacation (you can keep 4 bottles of water cool in there).
The service was excellent, people were friendly and helpful and we were asked twice to play waterpolo by the animation lady but I wouldn't call that annoying.
The food was great, too. Every night you could choose between at least (or take a bit of everything) two sorts of meat, one sort of fish and a lot of vegetables. And there were potatoes, rice and pasta to combine it with. And last but not least there was a Greek corner with special Greek dishes. For real greek food you should go and have dinner in the old town, of course, but still this gave you a good idea.
Then the noise and location issue: We weren't bothered by any noise. In our room the noise of the sea was louder than the noise from the street. And who would complain about the "noise" of the sea? There was an evening animation program, but with closed windows (you have to close them anyway to make the airconditioning work) you only hear some background music. Nothing that we even noticed. We thought the location was perfect, it was not directly at the beach (the steet there is busy!) but you could walk there in 2 minutes. And you walk by a supermarket so you can get some refreshments on your way down, superhandy!
To sum up, we were very satisfied with our choice, but apparently tastes differ and you would have to go check for yourself to see what it's like for you :-)"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Few words about Minos hotel

"I was in Minos Hotel (Rethimno) in 2006, end of June.
Web site of hotel: (---)
In the beginning I want to give some information about class of this hotel. As you will know, in Greece not give “stars” as a class of hotel, instead of this they give “letters”. Minos Hotel have letter “A”. Its mean, that hotel should have 4 stars class in worldwide classification. But, actually, in hotels booklets you can see just 3 normal stars and one small. In general Minos Hotel is equal 3+ stars, but not 4 stars.
I paid for double room near 38 euro/day including breakfast and dinner. In my opinion, it is cheap enough for hotel like this in this season. Geographically, hotel is situated near Rethimno border. So, you will walk to the center approximately 30 min. In few steps from the hotel good and not expensive supermarket SPAR, and lot of “RENT-A-CAR”s. 3 minutes walk to beach.

Negatives
-bad location, on third line from beach, near transit road. Then you lie near pool, you hear terrible noise of tracks and smell of gases. But, if your room have windows to internal yard, then there is quite enough.
-Room cleaning was very bad, beg-clothes and towels changed very rarely.
-Furniture is ancient and poor quality.
-Central air conditioner worked very badly. Mostly it frost very poor, then repaired by itself.
-Fridge frost not very good, but enough for drinks.
-bathroom fixtures some time ago was white color, now it quite yellow (maybe because of dirt, maybe because of anciently, maybe because of environment).
-I still can’t forget sound, then housecleaners moved beds on stone floor.
-It’s strange but in the room I couldn’t found pan and paper…

Positives
+ It is very good, that rooms have hair-dryer and fridge.
+ Management of hotel is well organized, reception and restaurant team very friendly.
+ Breakfasts and dinners was not delicious but quite good.
+ Hotel has animation programs. I haven’t seen it but can suppose, that it wasn’t bad.

And in the end some about Rethimno. It has very good sand beach and shallow sea, that ideal for children. Night life present in this town, but it bored than in Hersonisos. Few night clubs present, but all of them are empty. Of course, if you want, you can dance, but, I think, it is not so attractive to do it alone. Rethimno is a slightly dirty town. Clear and pretty just little central district. Old town is nice, but not so beautiful as Chania.
In general, this place is very good for peaceful family or pension holidays."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

We Walked Out

Good

"We did a hotel tour of Crete for two weeks so feel we are in a pretty good position to judge. We moved hotels nearly every night just to keep me busy and see different things. We booked MInos because we wanted a hotel in downtown Rethymon and on the beach. Well its not in the nice bit of town and its not on the beach (although its close to a very busy beach off the main trip which is pretty horrible)

We booked on the phone, and as soon as the taxi pulled up outside the disgusting modern run down building on a busy road with the pool facing it, I thought 'no way'. We were shown to a tiny room with a sea view and I just said to my partner: no way, lets go and stay in a nice place in the old town (Fortzezza) for a bit more money. We got a rate for 60 for Minos. And now we now why.

Its full of Germans (nothing against them) but it can be quite intimidating with big tour groups, beer swigging and discos. Would it be unfair to say this is low class hotel?

One good point: the male receptionist was brilliant. Genuine, helpful, kind: a rare find in Crete and a nice contrast from the rather bulshy women."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

Blackpool in Greece

"Don't go to this hotel for peace and quiet, it is just off a roundabout and busy roads. Also you will be subjected to constant harassment by the animation person to have fun! There was nightly entertainment very loud which we had not been told about, however the reception staff were good and moved us but this was not much better. Food bland but plenty of it, catering for the German contingency. All in alll not the Greek experience we had expected and wanted. Rethymnon old town good but the promenade is horrendous, beware the scratch card scams."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

Fantastic Hotel Great Location

"I stayed here last summer (2005) and it was superb. Our room was a decent size with a nice view of the roof top plants and the sea. We paid an extra suppliment for a fridge key so we could use it to store drinks during our stay, a must for any visitor. The meals at the hotel were very good and the spread was always very pretty and plenty of choice. The staff were very nice and looked after us with all the coctails we tried there the best had to be the "monkeys lunch".

The pool at the front of the hotel is sat onto of the local newsagents thats down the ramp by the road. From it you get a view of the sea only 2 mins walk away.

From the front you get beautiful views of the sunsets which we enjoyed every evening. After that a 10 minute walk towards the old fortress along the front you will find the old harbour that houses plenty of restaurants that haggle you to go in. I recommend booking in advance as you can normally haggle to get a free bottle of wine and they rescue you from other restaurant touts when you pass by. The meals we had at 3 of the restaurants there were amazing. Although the lobster dishes are pretty expensive a lobster meal for 2 cost around 102 euros.

We also rented a suzuki Jimney from a local firm called Oscars who were very accomodating espacially when I lost the key when visiting the south of the island in the sea and they sent a spare set down with someone right away. Can't get better servie than that. It was also alot cheaper for 7 days rental then my tour rep was offering for 5.

Places of not to visit by car has to be the coast to the direct south of rethmenon you pass through a big gorge on your way which is spectacular. Souda bay war semetary near Chiana, Chiana for the shops (it is very busy though), Sameria gorge was a treck to get to but it was a beautiful drive up through the mountains. A beautiful holiday I will return :)"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of May 2006

Excellent hotel, friendly staff, highly recommended.

"I cannot compliment this hotel enough. My stay here was excellent.

My husband and I stayed here for two weeks in June 2004, breakfast and evening meal in the package deal. The hotel is very well maintained, clean with good facilities.

All the staff were extremely friendly and eager to help make our stay our pleasant as possible. When we had difficulties with our hire car (which was not their responsibility) they could not do enough to help. Their spoken english was excellent, and they were very willing to recommend places to visit away from the tourist beaten track.

The hotel is in the more commercial part of Rethymnon, which is a bit ugly but take a walk into the old town around the fortress and it is very nice.

Our room had mosquito nets, complimentary bath goodies, air con, clean sheets and towels every day and a plentiful supply of hot water. The food was excellent, the price of our package deal it was good value, lots of choice with the oppotunity too try local specialities. I would not recommend the local wine, stick with a Mythos (beer) or cocktails. Evening entertainment was a giggle, cheesy one-man DJ, oh and the belly dancers will get you going!

Would I stay there again? If we visit Crete again, YES.

Yamas! (Cheers!)"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of October 2004

Very friendly

Good

"The Hotel Minos is one of the friendliest hotels that I have ever been to. There was a wide range of nationalities staying there and we made friends with people from around the world. The friendly atmosphere is promoted by the hotel and all the staff were extremely friendly and eager to help make our stay our pleasant as possible.

The hotel facilities were excellent and everything was very clean. However, half of the hotel rooms have been refurbished and half haven't. We stayed in a room that had not been refurbished and it was basic to say the least. We did have one of the bigger rooms but the bath was very small, which made showering very difficult. However, the cleaners worked every day and we had clean sheets and towels every day and although the room was basic it was very clean, which was the main thing for us.

We had a lovely holiday and I would have rated this as an excellent hotel if it werent for the room. We spoke to people who were in the refurbished rooms and they sounded lovely!

We went on a B&B basis and ate out in the evenings. It was more expensive than we were expecting but it was not unreasonable and we did find some excellent restaurants that were good value. I would highly recommend Giovannis which is on the left as you walk into the old town ( I especially recommend their banana and chocolate crepes!!!!)"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of July 2004

My boyfriend and I started off our islan...

"My boyfriend and I started off our island hopping tour around Greece in this hotel. The hotel was fantastic and it certainly made an impressive starting point, the room was clean and large and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Look out for the lady welcoming you to dinner, very friendly and will engage you in humorous conversation!

The pool was large and welcoming with plenty of activities going on throughout the day, if you don't feel like joining in then you can just sit and sip some cocktails!

Old town is about a 30 min walk away, at a leisurely stroll, and it is well worth visiting for the lovely tavernas and pretty lighthouse.

Overall a lovely holiday and we plan to return.

• Travel date: Mon 15th of October 2007

The Minos Hotel is staffed by helpful, c...

"The Minos Hotel is staffed by helpful, courteous and friendly staff. The room is slightly larger than normal and the whole hotel spotless.

The restaurant food was excellent and varied and bar staff attentive and friendly.

I would certainly consider returning for another stay at the Minos Hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of August 2006

Hotels near Minos Hotel

Stayed at Minos Hotel? Share your insight.

Minos Hotel is also called