About Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort

• babysitting
  • tv rtr planeta russia
  • evening entertainment

Good

We had read some mixed recent reviews an...

Reviewed Wed 9th of August 2006

"We had read some mixed recent reviews and were somewhat apprehensive.

We needn't have been because we found the hotel hard to fault. In any hotel the room allocation is critical, and we were more than happy with our sea view room with a 25 sq m terrace, almost on the beach itself. The room, with three full beds, and bathroom, were more than big enough for my wife, oversized son and myself. The use of the aircon was unrestricted and worked so well in very hot weather that we actually had to turn up the temperature on the second day!

The room was not opulent, but aside from cheap curtain rails and a tacky gold plated picture frame it was tastefully decorated. If only I could afford the stone and marble work surfaces in my own kitchen and bathroom at home! There was also a nicely boxed fridge, and unlike many hotels, this was at no extra cost. We used a Lidl 2km down the road in Platanias to stock it with drinks and nibbles. The beds are hard, but this suited us down to the ground, and I cannot remember a time when my dodgy back felt so good! We remarked that there was always hot water.

Architecturally, the complex is wonderful. It fits better into the local surroundings than any other in the vicinity, without being a crude pastiche of Cretan vernacular. The main building is imposing inside and out, and there were lots of quiet and tastefully furnished areas to sit. The gardens and pool are exquisite. I have been to many, many hotels, and the pool at the Adele Mare ranks as my all time favourite. Everywhere there were signs of excellent maintenance; the hotel had clearly been recently decorated, the gardens and very healthy plants were fastidiously tended.

The position is excellent. Adele Kampos and Platanias are very busy, and there is a huge choice of restaurants and bars in the immediate vicinity. However, the hotel complex somehow managed to feel quiet and secluded. Our room was almost literally on the blue flag, largely sandy beach. The waters are crystal clear, and the swimming and snorkeling wonderful. My son was in awe of a local who harpooned an octopus while we were swimming!

Rethymnon old town is just 7km away and we were very impressed. There seems to be some rivalry between Chania and Rethymnon. Chania has a serious traffic problem, and of the two we preferred Rethymnon. For excursions try Preveli beach and palm grove on the south coast.

The food was first class. Everything beautifully prepared with plenty of variety, and just the right blend of Greek and international cuisine. The Cretan evening by the pool with superb buffet, barbecue, folk music and dancing is held fortnightly and we were fortunate in our eight-night stay to
hit it just at the right time.

Service throughout and the front desk were outstanding, and we were made to feel very welcome on arrival. At the end of our stay we left for Heraklion airport at an unearthly hour, and when we asked for an early morning call at 4am, we were amazed to be asked what time we wanted breakfast! At 4.30am our breakfast with a jug of hot coffee was waiting for us in the dining room.

Many reviewers question the Euro2.40 daily sun bed charge both round the pool and on the beach. If the initial price of the half-board accommodation was higher, we would grumble too. However, we paid an almost ridiculously low, peak season price, not achieved through last or first-minute booking, and feel we had exceptional value for money.

We booked the flight and accommodation separately, through the internet. We needed a hire car from the moment we arrived in Heraklion to the very end and I must recommend
The Best Cars. We got an excellent price, EUR209 for eight days, and they even contacted me on my mobile before we left for Crete to confirm.

I apologize to readers who readers who find I sound like an advertisement. I must assure them that I do not always write such favourable reviews and that the hotel really is a
as good as we say it is. My wife once worked as local organiser for mystery visits of properties belonging to a very large UK pub, carvery and hotel chain. We did many of those visits ourselves and can say that if one used the criteria that chain used, the Adele Mare would fare very well indeed. We thought it was a great find and would not hesitate to go back."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of August 2006

Recommended to me by a travel agent as b...

Reviewed Sun 28th of May 2006

"Recommended to me by a travel agent as being excellent for families. I can say that this is definitely not the case. The rooms are extremely small and very basic for a 4 star rating. Hard beds, no hot water, bathrooms very small and in need of modernizing, no wardrobe space, no space for storing suitcases. All furnishings very cheap. The food was unappetizing, badly presented, unappealing and monotonous. The best meal is lunch at the beach bar, obviously not included in the half board. It was freshly cooked on a barbeque grill.

On top of everything there is a ridiculous charge for the sun beds around the pool area and on the beach. 2.40 euros per bed per day. For the first time I had to hire beach towels on a daily basis rather than paying a deposit.

I went with my elderly mother and two small children. The room was so small my mother had to move and pay an extra 180 euros for a single room for six nights

However, all the staff are extremely eager to please and kind.

It is true that the majority of residents were German or Belgian Flemish, however during our stay I found the other guests to be very pleasant.

All in all a very disappointing and expensive holiday for the quality offered.

• Travel date: Sun 28th of May 2006

Very disappointing hotel for UK Tourists...

Reviewed Thu 1st of January 1970

"Very disappointing hotel for UK Tourists. 98% German Occupancy not stated when booking, geared towards the German Tourist.

Beds -very hard mattresses on concrete plinths, room on the small side for a family of 3 sharing, Bungalows are not bungalows but two storey buildings with the same size rooms as in the main building.

TV geared again toward the German Tourist, English BBC World Service and CNN only.

Sunbeds around the pool charged at 2.40 Euro per day.

Supposed to be a 4* hotel, little evidence.

One day’s entertainment during our 2 week stay. Evening food Menu very repetitive, none of the dishes labelled, had to guess what meat/fish was being served, open buffet style, cleared immediately at 9pm. Breakfast bland selection cleared immediately at 10am. Did not enjoy stay but decided that it could be worse. Could not wait to get home to a decent bed and nights sleep. Will not book again."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2005