Bedroom of the Family Suite

Good

Not much for a lot of money

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We paid for the room with a private pool. For 280 Euros a night, it was a bad deal. The pool was not heated. Since the sun did not hit the deck or pool, we could not sunbathe. They charge for everything: use of indoor jacuzzi (which for no reason that makes sense, is closed on Sundays), room safe, internet, etc. The breakfast buffet is the one good thing about the hotel. But it's a terrible deal to have it delivered to your room (of course for a charge). Room service for breakfast only includes some bread, coffee, and juice. For 280 Euros a night, it's ridiculous to charge us for these little amenities...none of the other hotels we stayed in Greece did this. Front desk was not helpful. To hike the Samaria Gorge, we were told by the front desk that we could take a bus back from the end point back to our car. From the trailhead, we were told there was no such thing. This resulted in one long bus ride, a cab driver that squeezed 6 of us in a standard car, and an extra hour and a half trip to get back to the hotel. For the same price, we stayed at an amazing hotel in Santorini with amenities like a private jacuzzi and deck, wonderful views, flat screen tv, complimentary breakfast brought straight to the room, free internet, quiet setting, and an attentive and knowledgeable staff. I would not return to this hotel at all."

• Travel date: 5th October 2006

Mediocre Marriott

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We stayed at the Minoa Palace at the end of our 2 week honeymoon in the Greek Isles. We stayed in a room with a private pool facing the northern side of the resort. The pool was very chilly since it never received direct sunlight and was not heated. This large hotels has all the amenities that you would expect however be prepared to pay for them. You get charged for everything (e.g., usage of the hot tub, usage of the room safe, internet). The only highlight was the quality and quantity of the morning buffet. The frontdesk kept giving us bad information on local attractions. We wanted to hike the Samarian Gorge and talked to the frontdesk about tours. He gave us wrong information about the availibity of tours, buses and directions to the the gorge."

• Travel date: 27th September 2006

the best

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"i went to minoa palace last friday 15 july. everything was amazing. the room very comfort, the cleaning the best i have ever seen, the food delicious, and the pool view very good. everything was good, i am from greece and i know good how works the hotels in greece. minoa works very proffesional and you feel very good to stay there. Really i will go to next year .everybody who want to answer me something more just send, because i returned yesterday from minoa. Good summer for everybody!"

• Travel date: 22nd July 2006

Good place :)

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"Having a strong hotel fetish, I did quite a research before booking hotel at Chania. And luckily, I didn't get disapointed about Minoa Palace. We stayed in one of the Doble rooms with private pool and were wery pleased with that. Excelent way to have a vacation like that when you travel with a 6 month old baby. She could sleep in a airconditioned room at daytime, while we could relax and enjoy ourselves at the pool. Because of a tecnical problem, we got to stay in one of the more exclusive suites the first night. That was great, with a seperate bedroom and a nice pool. But the location is close to the main pool area, and you get a lot of the noise from the other guests and it is quite desturbing with the music from the pool bar. So we were actually more please with the dbl room, because the location is so private. The hotel has a good internation standard. Great pool area, nice hotel areas. Probably one of the better Chartertrip hotels I've stayed in. The buffet was also good, or at least as good as a buffet can be. But the food was fresh and tasteful...Warm bread in the morning, and delicious fresh food every evening. Good service from the staff. We also received complimentary wine and fruit when we arrived late, and my husband also received a surprise cake on his birthday. Be aware og slipery tiles if you have a room with a pool - I fell big time! We also missed a exclusive A La Carte restaurant at the hotel area - one with sea view. We would come back here :)"

• Travel date: 18th July 2006

A Great Place to Stay

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"A perfect place to stay for both couples and families. Great garden and great pools, several restaurants, and a large variety of great food - even for the health conscious person. First and foremost, very friendly personnel who make you feel like a royal. Fruit and a bottle of wine were awaiting when we arrived, and even a complimentary cake on my birthday shows the hotel cares about its residents. Air conditioned, spacious rooms with satellite TV and mini bar. Chanya is a ride away with an airconditioned bus that leaves from outside the hotel every 15 minutes. Nice beach area with a charming restaurant within a short walk from the hotel. Plenty of sitting areas with comfortable sofas and chairs outside on the terrasses. Still there is room for improvements in certain areas. Most frustrating was the internet terminals that were operating only a fraction of the time we spent there. Equipment that must be at least 10 years old with only 15" CRT screens. How the IT manager still has a job is beyond me. All at a price that is out of proportion - up to 5 EUR for one hour. You can stay at hotels on Crete that do not charge more than 3 EUR for one week with excellent equipment, while Minoa Palace charges 40 EUR for the same period. I complained almost daily, so I was given a full refund of my 40 EUR virtually worthless access card. A few other small frustrations was the loud music at the pool bar - so loud you could almost yell at your mother-in-law without her noticing. Also, we had paid for 7 dinners via our tour operator, while only being able to eat 6 days. As a compensation we were told we could use EUR 9 against our purchases on our first day of stay - not against the balance on our bill. Pettyness is the word that comes to mind. Sky News is the only English channel on TV. Another English channel might be welcome. But by and large, this is a place that can be warmly recommended, and you will get your money's worth. And if you need to use internet - bring a portable - there are working wireless hotspots both inside and outside the hotel. Leif Gullberg, Norway."

• Travel date: 8th July 2006

Great Room and Food

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"The Hotel Minoa Palace is a wonderful resort located across the street from a beach in Crete. Don't be fooled by the bungalow, it's nothing more than a glorified hotel room away from the masses. When I complained to the front desk they were very responsive and moved us to a room with a private swimming pool. Well worth the extra money. I was leary at first with the all inclusive breakfast and dinner. However, the dishes were delightful and there was a wide range of varieties to choose from --even several healthy options. I would highly recommend this hotel. We were the only Americans staying at the hotel. The majority of the patrons were German."

• Travel date: 26th June 2006

Lovely retreat

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Members' reviews saved me making a mistake in my first selection of hotel and in return, I am sharing my experience of Minoa Palace. We arrived late at the hotel and we were warmly greeted at reception. We were given information regarding the hotel and we were most impressed that since we were too late to have dinner, they had left us a cold platter in our room. They also left a bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine. We had paid extra for a sea-view. Our room overlooked the very attractive pool area with the sea in the distance. The room was well appointed, modern bathroom, air conditioning, clean and spacious. Very modern with TV, desk, bar fridge, balcony table and chairs. We found the staff very helpful and courteous. Having stayed in large hotels, I was impressed that Minoa Palace has spacious public areas - large pool areas with plenty of loungers, and pool bar area. Kids club. The general bar/lounges were also spacious with large terraces and sofa seating areas. The pool arrangement is large and a combination of pool areas and water features. The water has a superior filtration system and is crystal clear. If I have to look for any downside it was the buffet evening meal and that their other restaurant was only open for lunch, but we were told it was because it was nearing the end of the season. Also, the beach is across the road. It is not golden sand, and is volcanic from neighbouring island. However, the hotel has it own area with beachbar. The buffet food was lovely with plenty of choice. The chef had a speciality each evening but there were many other hot and cold choices. The hotel is well situated, with bus stop outside. It is on the edge of Plantanias and it is a few minutes walk into town. Plenty of tavernas, cocktail bars, shops etc. We did not find the need to hire a car. Plenty of trips available and the local bus service is well run, inexpensive, luxury coach style, fast and efficient. Chania is very lively and about half an hour by bus and is well worth visiting. We booked our trips through the tourist information centre in Plantanias as they were much cheaper than offered by our tour company. From experience be warned - we took the trip to Samaria Gorge. There are two on offer, one is the full trip from the top of the gorge to the bottom around 16 km and the other is what they call the 'lazy way'. Be warned, good shoes are absolutely necessary and if you are not fit or walk regularly do give careful consideration before attempting it, as it is very, very demanding. We were told that there were donkeys available if we found it too difficult. There are donkeys in the gorge, but they are really for serious injury. I found it very tough on my knees as the descent is very steep and they were painful for a few days afterwards. Experienced walkers had walking poles and hiking boots with ankle supports. The lazy way is starting from the bottom of the gorge and walking up for as long as time allows to get back to the port to catch the ferry boat back. On reflection, I feel the alternative 'lazy way' should be renamed the 'sensible' way. There is a good website I have found subsequently which I wish I had found before ---------- I am sure there are others. We took just over 7 hrs to complete the walk. We had a great holiday in Plataniasa and would return to Minoa Palace."

• Travel date: 9th November 2005

Lovely hotel, good food

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We really enjoyed staying here, lovely rooms, excellent food, very good position and the beach taverna opposite the hotel was one of the few open during the evenings. Our only criticism is that the seaview rooms may only have glimpses of the sea and if you are unfortunate to get room 213 you will be looking mainly at the wall of the suite next door. The staff are happy to change the room but you may have to wait a day or two for a vacancy."

• Travel date: 28th September 2005

Pure Luxury

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Excellent Accomodation, Food Superb, Friendly & Helpful Staff. Some Road Noise Only Drawback. Upgrade if you can, and you will enjoy your stay even more"

• Travel date: 20th September 2005

Pool Bungalow is a must!

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"The only reason to chose this hotel is that you get your own pool, but if you do, you will love your pool bungalow. Otherwise the food and service is average for a 3-star hotel. Prises are expensive in minibar and in the resturants. The area around the common pool is nice and well kept. There is a road between the hotel and the beach with very much traffic. The downtown is along the coast road, and a pure tourist trap, no genuine Cretean shops at all. The tours with the small road trains are quite nice."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2005

Hotels near Minoa Palace Resort

Minoa Palace Resort is also called

• Minoa Palace
  • minoa palace platanias
  • minoa palace hotel platanias