Socrates Hotel

Beach Road Malia to Stalis, Malia, Crete 700 07 Greece

Good

5 Stars!! *****

"Myself and 2 friends (all in early 20s) stayed here in the first week of May, excepting the first couple of days of rain we had a fantastic week!
The hotel is close to the beach, local nightspot Malia, Stalis and a long road of bars and restaurants.
The hotel bar/restaurant offered exceptional service, and barman Graham was a lovely and welcoming member of the team!
The swimming pool onsite was also excellent (if not a little cold!), with a cold jet jacuzzi and separate children swimming pool.
All members of the team were fantastic and very accommodating!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of May 2009

My wife and I have had a fantastic 2 wee...

"My wife and I have had a fantastic 2 weeks at the socrates 2 apartments. They were spotlessly clean, the towels and sheets were changed every couple of days.The pool was never crowded, the food at the pool bar was well priced and very good and and the girl that ran the poolbar during the day,extremely friendly.I would say that the apartments were much closer to Malia than Stallis, but this was not a problem as we enjoyed the walk each night.The only couple of niggles were the number of quad bikes being ridden by young,idiotic and often drunk youngsters,and the lack of a toaster in the apartments. As a last remark I must say,that the rep Fiona did a fantastic job and was a credit to Thomson."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of September 2008

Just spent 2 weeks here & can say it was...

"Just spent 2 weeks here & can say it was a great place to stay, rooms where clean, pool was great, plenty of room & sunbeds were always available, even though you did get some people saving the same ones every day although you didnt need to,most of the staff were friendly & the pool bar stayed open until 2am. But make no mistake these apartments are in MALIA & not Stalis, which is a good 25 min. walk away, saying that there were no mad teenagers here, it was a good age mix, on the road to stalis be careful, loads of quad bikes & scooters & if you do decide to walk back at night be careful as my wife & i were passed by some young locals on scooters & one of them tried to hit me on my leg with his crash helmet he just managed to brush me but as usual they rode off in a hurry when i "ASKED" them to come back this was not a one off incedent as we were told by our barman that there had been a few cases of people being "SLAPPED" but dont let this put you off just be aware of scooters riding close to you, im going back next year so it hasnt bothered me, ita a pity the Socrates isnt nearer Stalis as it would have been the perfect place to stay."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of September 2008

What more can I say other than an excell...

"What more can I say other than an excellent place to stay. Exceptionally clean apartments, nice laid back feeling of safety and serenity. Would certainly go back to Socrates again. Plenty of good places to eat. Thomson rep always contactable. Watch out for the quad bikes. "

• Travel date: Tue 16th of September 2008

Me and my boyfriend (both 20) stayed at...

"Me and my boyfriend (both 20) stayed at the Socrates in July, and had the most amazing time!

The apartments are just lovely, very clean and the cleaners change the sheets and towels pretty much every day. The pool and bar areas were lovely, in the day they serve great food which isn’t that expensive, and at night you can have a drink with George the barman, who is just the loveliest guy ever and makes the best shots and cocktails (although if you ask him to make you a surprise drink it could possibly be lethal !). Everyone who works there was so friendly and helpful and couldn’t do enough to make your stay great.

There was a great mix of people staying at the Socrates; from couples, families, groups of friends. You seem to get a friendly bunch as it is only a small hotel, which was lovely.

The hotel is just off the beach road, down a small lane, which is great as its quiet when you are lying by the pool. The Stalis area is a tiny bit further from the hotel than the clubbing area of Malia, but we preferred to walk in to Stalis where the atmosphere is much more family and couple orientated! The walk is about ten mins so honestly not far at all! The best bar we found was the Beachcomber, which backs on to the beach, and every night they have a live band! Niko the barman will supply you with cocktails and drinks all night without you even having to get up from your seat, and you get free bowls of popcorn topped up all night, its so sweet!

Best places to eat are....Sergiani (place with the blue chairs, its great!) and the place that is just before you get to the Alexandra hotel bar, begins with an M (can’t remember the exact name); it’s the most expensive place to eat in Stalis but so worth it!

Basically, if you go to the Socrates and Stalis, you can’t have a bad holiday! Amazing!

We booked the horse back safari through Thomson...it’s so cool I would definitely recommend it.

• Travel date: Wed 28th of November 2007

We stayed at the Socrates from the 5th A...

"We stayed at the Socrates from the 5th August till the 19th August and we had an absolute brilliant time.

All the staff were really friendly especially George the barman and Renea who we also saw all day in our pool bar she too was really lovely.

Rooms were spotlessly clean no complaints there. One place we would recommend to eat is the pizza paradise taverna which is nearby pleasant service and great food.

If you are looking for a relaxed holiday Socrates is the place to go. We are definitely going back hopefully next year."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2007

Myself (27) and my husband (36) stayed a...

"Myself (27) and my husband (36) stayed at the Socrates for the middle two weeks of July this year; the apartments are probably the best accommodation we have ever stayed in. They are spotlessly clean and have all the facilities (including air conditioning which was heaven as it was so hot!); all you could possibly need on a self catering holiday. There was a good mixture of age groups (all brits) during the two weeks we stayed including couples, families and groups of young people and it was a very friendly two weeks.

The apartments are situated in a quiet area but very close to all the bars, tavernas and clubs of both Malia and Stalis. Although the accommodation is listed as Stalis, Malia is actually the closer resort being only a 5-10 minute walk away. We would recommend Cordon Bleu and Zorba's for excellent food which are both about 2 mins walk from the Socrates.

The staff at the Socrates are all fantastic and cannot do enough to ensure you have a great holiday, particularly Eva on reception, Rena who works at the pool bar during the day and the fabulous George who works the bar in the evenings.

During our stay we went on the 4x4 adventure that takes you off road to see parts of the island you can’t get to any other way, this was an excellent day and I would advise anyone visiting Crete to do this trip, it really was fantastic.

I cannot recommend these apartments or the island of Crete highly enough and we will be returning to the Socrates again soon!

• Travel date: Thu 26th of July 2007

Me (16) and my partner (19) booked this...

"Me (16) and my partner (19) booked this holiday last minute and was allocation on arrival and was very pleased when we pulled up outside.

Rooms are very spacious and clean and everybody was very friendly. Especially George at the bar just doesn’t ask for something special because you won’t be walking 2 your room.

Food is fantastic especially the full English breakfast. Pool is great, plenty of sunbeds left no matter what time you decide to go around the pool.

This hotel is set down a quiet little lane, when you come out of this lane you could either turn left into Stalis which is the quietest resort, plenty of nice restaurants and some bars. But if you into more of the staying out late you can turn right to go into Malia loads of clubs even a McDonalds and again plenty of nice restaurants. You should try the stake at the bull restaurant.

There’s plenty of things going on such as trips to waterparks but do shop about for the best price.

Only about 3mins away from the beach, and plenty of watersports to do, but again do ask about because prices were cheaper towards the ends of the beach.

We had a fantastic time and hope to be returning again soon.

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

My partner and I spent 2 weeks at the So...

"My partner and I spent 2 weeks at the Socrates Apartments from 8/06/06. The apartments are lovely-very clean and the pool is superb. Plenty of sun loungers and not all on top of each other which was nice. Pool bar very handy and food good.

Socrates Apartments should really be advertised as Malia as they are much nearer Malia (10 minute walk) than Stalis (a good 20 minute walk to get into the heart of Stalis, and we are quick walkers!). The hotel opposite Socrates is advertised in the Thomas Cook brochure as Malia. This isn't a problem as long as you don't mind a bit of a walk into Stalis (enables one to work up an appetite!).

Malia was very busy but a great beach. Stalis was really lovely-restaurants on the seafront all very nice and Beachcomber bar with live music is good fun.

We thoroughly enjoyed our fortnight in Crete at the Socrates Apartments. We would definitely recommend the apartments and I would like to think that we will return one day."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of July 2006

My husband and I have just returned from...

"My husband and I have just returned from a week in Stalis. As other reviewers have already mentioned, apartments excellent pool welcoming if slightly chilly on first entering but very cooling from the very hot sun. Could not fault any thing. George the barman was really welcoming and friendly, Jenny was the smiling face behind reception. All the staff were very helpful, catered to all our needs.

The resort itself was quite small walked both into Stalis and Malia plenty of restaurants supermarkets. If you do intend to cook for yourself not a lot of choice in the supermarkets not a lot of fresh fruit either which I found surprising. Largest doughnuts I have ever seen though.

One euro 70 for an ice lolly and up to 4 euros for ice cream, Costs very much the same as UK for food and drinks etc, Exchange rate was 1.41 euros after commission so slightly better in Crete. Plenty of atm machines and at least 3 banks.

Only downside of holiday was the quad bikes very noisy and too many of them."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of June 2006

I have just returned from a weeks holida...

"I have just returned from a weeks holiday at these apartments and cannot recommend them enough. We went with our 2 children aged 2 & 4 who both had an excellent time, they enjoyed playing in the pool (which also has a small children’s pool) and the play area. We were welcomed by the owner as soon as we arrived and were made to feel welcome for the whole stay.

There is food available from the poolside bar which was all very nice and the staff cannot be faulted. The apartments were very nice, spotless and cleaned everyday. They had a microwave, hairdryer and even an airer to dry washing on the balcony. The apartments are a 5 minute walk to the beach, 10 minutes to Malia and 20 minutes to Stalis.

Not all restaurants were open when we were there as it was beginning of season but we can recommend the Brasserie in Malia and Stablos & Elizabeth in the old town of Malia for EXCELLENT Greek food. We don't usually like going back to the same place twice but will definitely be returning here. Highly recommend!"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of May 2006

My daughter and I stayed at the Socrates...

Good

"My daughter and I stayed at the Socrates apartments in June 04. George the barman was fantastic and made us feel welcome nothing was two much trouble.

The apartment was spacious and we had 2 balconies, clean and comfortable. Beach road was our daily route to the old town where there was lots of bars and restaurants to eat as well as lots of shops. Water park worth a visit, and Greek night good fun.

First timers take a torch for it is on a beaten track with little lighting. Will be visiting this year in August."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of March 2006

Hotels near Socrates Hotel

Stayed at Socrates Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Socrates Hotel

• dani2908 by dani2908

"Anatolia (Stalis), Camelot (Stalis) were great restaurants. Dancing Bar, Ice Bar & Reflex for bars! "

Socrates Hotel is also called