Odyssey Apartments

Vathi , 28300 , Malia , Crete , Greece , Europe

AMAZING

"Best hotel ever!!! staff all lovely and helpful. Although the beds are a bit hard and the shower isn't the best, it just matters who you're with. Malaia is amazing and so is this hotel. Right near the strip literally a 2 min walk. "

• Travel date: Mon 24th of November 2014

Don't go within a km of this place

"This is probably the worst place you could stay in all of Malia. I would honestly recommend sleeping rough with the rabid dogs than staying a week in these 'apartments'. There is actually no hotel rating system that could accurately describe how bad it really is. Stay at these apartments and you can enjoy a rampant theft problem, squalor in the previous occupants filth (your room won't have been cleaned when you arrive nor will it be cleaned for the duration of your stay), experience threats of physical violence from both the bar staff and mainly the security staff and enjoy extortionate fines (100-300 euro) for serious offenses such as dropping a bottle of beer or closing your door to loudly. Also if you are applicable for dual citizenship and would like to flee Greece following your stay here, then go for it and get your second passport, because you're probably not going to get the other one back from the manager who confiscates it on your arrival for insurance/ ransom purposes and wont return it to you until you pay your fine. The fine which his Versace clad wife will not doubt use to go shopping rather than to cover the cost of cleaning up that beer you just split. -1/10 ABSOLUTE DUMP!"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of November 2014

Go to Malia, Do NOT stay here!!!!

"I will write this review in order of day, and how day by day this place somehow got worse and worse
First of all, four of us (age 20-24) traveled with Thomas Cook to this '3 star' hotel on Tuesday September 2nd 2014, arriving 10pm local time. We where not welcomed with welcome drinks but with our passports taken off us by the bar man. So we didn't think much of it, paid our air con, was told it would be turned on within the hour and went out to the strip. Came back to the apartment it was like walking into a sweaty sahara desert, there was no staff about other than the security man who told us the master key was broken and they couldn't turn it on? and then proceeded to tell us to shut up So night one went to sleep roasted with no passports.
That following morning we were awoken, by the female hotel manger, who refused to knock and just came on through our door, with the 'broken' master key, followed by the male security man, we were all lying ass naked because of the heat! It was so embarrassing!
That day we started to realize the state of the room, the doors had been punched in, there was dirt all over the walls, just pretty grimy we found litter from the previous people under the bed. My pillow case was also covered in someone else old henna tattoo, when I brought it to the manger I was told ''Oh it looks old, so it mustn't have been you, we wont fine you this time, but we have no spare pillow cases!'
So Thursday night we were sitting at the bar, and a guy was in a state saying his £500 speakers got stolen from his hotel room, and the only person seen him bring them in was the security man, and he was starting to wonder if it was an inside job, which made us on edge.
By Friday morning we had had enough of the state of the room, it hadn't been cleaned sense the night we arrived (if you could call it clean) the showers leek, so we had to use the hotel towels to stand on so as your feet didn't get dirty again. As you know you can't flush the toilet roll in Greece, so the bins where full of yea gross. The floors where stinking, and the sheets, well they had been dirty from night one. We went down at 10am and was told it would be cleaned in an hour, by 11am, the cleaner was still sitting at the bar, so we asked again, and as told it would be a few hours. Taking their word for it I counted my money, lifted some for the beach and put the rest back in the safe. Came home around 6pm that evening to find the room to still be a dirty smelly hole. So me and the other girl I traveled with took the bin bag and dirty towels to the bar and told them to clean our room. So the cleaner finally came at 6.30pm to clean around us while we tried to get ready for dinner.
After dinner we came back to the apartment to lift some money for the strip, I looked into my purse, which was in the safe, to find 40 Euro was missing. This set us on high alert. So we needed our passports to go to the bank, and also we wanted to go Go-karting the next day, we went down to the bar man to ask, and where point blank refused them back, because ''we were making him worried''. We proceeded to tell him money had went missing from the safe, he called us lairs. We went back up to the apartment feel scammed and worried. We then found his cigarette sitting on the window sill outside our room (it had a plastic filter) The other girl I was with brought it to him and just said that this was outside our room. He stormed up the stairs and tried to get me and the other girl out of the room, he started screaming and threatening us. Lots of different situations around the hotel was making everyone very wary and the atmosphere was tense. Then on Sunday, the girls next door to us where at a boat party, and asked us to look after the room, because of all the thieving going on. The female manger was in their room twice around 1.30pm and the bar man was also in twice around 4.30pm, and this was not to clean the room, what where they doing, we took photos just to prove to the girls. They questioned the hotel staff as to why they were in the room, and they called us lairs that they weren't, until we showed them the photos we got. Luckily the girls didn't have anything missing this time.
That night we were awoken at 4.30am by the guy that got his speakers stole screaming, he had now gotten his £600 phone stole, it woke the entire complex and we came out to see the hassle, as it sounded like someone was getting murdered, the security man was going nuts, treating everyone ''don't make me angry you are in my country now''. So by this point a good lot of people went back to their rooms including us.
Next day we went to the water park 11am-7pm, to come back for the girls next door to tell us the bar man was in and out of our room constantly, and looking for us... So we went down for him to tell us we where getting a 150 euro fine for leaving our room last night... luckily we managed to talk our way out of the fine, as we did nothing!!! The girls upstairs how ever where not so fortunate, and they refused to stay in the odyssey anymore and tried to leave to another hotel, but the bar man was refusing their passports back, so Thomas Cook and the British Embassy was rung, and finally they got it and had to stay else where.
Where was the rep you ask?? Who knows? we seen him once the night the girls kicked off about him being in their room. Do not stay here, unless you want fines, things stolen and dirty rooms

• Travel date: Sat 13th of September 2014

LOVE MALIA, HATED THESE APARTMENTS

"After reading the bad reviews about uncleanliness, me and my friends didn't really care, we were going to party. When we got there I realized these apartments were set up to take every penny off you as they possibly could, before we even checked in our reps told us that we had to pay £210 each for a 'package' deal (which by the way please don't give them any money they are the worst reps in history), then we had to pay for silly things like toilet roll. Most rooms were crawling with ants, with stains on the bed sheets. To top it all off, on my 2nd last night in Malia the security guard was off sick, and on the same night the owner of the apartments was caught breaking into my apartment room at 3AM, when I asked him about it the next day he said he was 'looking at the air conditioning'.. at 3AM? So on the last day we were hit with a shock that we all had 50euro fines, and we wouldn't be allowed our passports until we paid it, after we paid these fines we waited outside on our bus and the manager drove past and said 'Thanks for the money' Staff were rude, unhelpful and annoying. Please do go to Malia, just don't stay in these apartments."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of September 2013

LOVED IT

Good

"so nine 18 year old girls headed out to Malia on our first big holiday together, were a bit iffy about the apts from what we had read, but to me as long as i had a bed to sleep in i was fine. but it was ALOT more that what we all expected! the apartments were so nice! the rooms themselves were basic but well equipped for a 2 week holiday! the bar was cheap and the food was unreal! the pool is one of the best apartment pools in the area! it was simply fab! less that a 5 min walk to the strip and the local pizza shop is a must! everyone is so nice there! the owners and maids are lovely and willing to help!just dont break anything as they check your whole apartment before departure and also i'd advise getting air con and a safe box! but finally in a nutshell Odyssey was pure clais! and were already planning our next holiday! WOOO WE LOVE IT! "

• Travel date: Tue 27th of August 2013

BEST TIME OF MY LIFE

"i come here in 2011 with a group of 7 lads it was that good, so i decided to come back 2013 with a group of 5 lads and it literally was the best time ive ever had. ive got the malia blues atm, im deffo going to go back 2014 to odyssey, the security guard is on the ball so nothing will ever get robbed, the maids are cool, music by the pool all day till about 10 oclock at night then starts back at 10 in the morning ,i cant expalin in words how good malia is. "

• Travel date: Sat 10th of August 2013

SUCH A FUN HOLIDAY! honest review :)

Good

"Some people just like to moan about any little thing on here, so don't listen to them. I just got back from the odyssey with m 2 friends (June 2013) and had an amazing time. Yes the rooms are basic, but if you're coming on a clubbing holiday you're never in your room anyway. The rooms were clean, and plenty of space, although I do think the sheets shouldve been changed more than once in the week. We were really lucky and had a pool view which in my opinion really made the holiday and made it much easier to make lots of friends as we were never away from the action, whereas some of the rooms on the ground floor looked like a dungeon. The pool was great, always plenty of loungers and music on all day which you could go and change to your preference on the computer behind the bar. It was really annoying that we couldn't have any food or drink from outside the hotel by the pool, and the barman had eyes like a hawk one sip of water and he'd be there taking it off you. However, this is the case with ALL hotels in malia so should not be used against this hotel. The location is perfect, about a 10 min walk to the strip and we could see the strip from our balcony, but we werent too near to it so we could still quietly relax if we were feeling fragile. everyone is so sociable because your all the same age and arrive and leave on the same day and we made loads of friends which really made our holiday. the one main annoying thing was the security man in the night he was RIDICULOUSLY strict we had some friends over from the apartment next door and he told them to get out although we were only chatting its stupid and he kept threatening 100 euro fines, which by the way are just bluffs. All in all malia is amazing, although be careful as my friends drink got spiked, also the beach is lush but so annoying because you have to pay for loungers theres no section to just use a towel on the beach, although you could get deals for like 10 euros for a week of loungers. I'd definitely go back to malia AND the odyssey again, its nothing OTT but is perfect for a fun 18-30s holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of June 2013

Best holiday and hotel by far!

"I went to malia in 2012 with a group of 60 people! (our last year of school) We all stayed in these apartments for two weeks! Ive decided to write a review because i have read alot of very bad ones about this hotel, i can tell you its absolutely nothing like bad reviews have made it out! when we first arrived the staff were very friendly. The rooms were basic but clean and tidy, its correct to say that yes the shower curtain doesnt touch the floor so it gets a bit wet, but big deal! your not in malia to live in your hotel room. the bed sheets and towels are changed every couple of days, however if you want more then they are more than happy to give you them! in the room you will also get some pots and plates and maybe the odd cup but dont count on it! its self catering and most people eat out so i dont know why people would complain about that. The security guard Tassos is lovely! The first night he nearly fined my friends because my pal made so much noise coming home one night but i managed to sweet talk him and get out of it and the rest of my holiday he was my best pal haha! the food from the hotel is good.. there is one pool table and three computers - plenty of sun loungers and the pool is a decent size, the best thing about the hotel in its literally a 3 minute walk from the start of the strip. If you go to malia you need to go to chubby whites bar, hes the only place where youl get real smirnoff vodka. Zig Zag club is the best by far and premier bar is the best bar. The hotel have a ps3 and let you play it when ever you like.. they also let you walk behind the bar and plug your own ipod in if you dont want theirs on .. although their tunes are good anyway! its a 10/15 minute walk away from the beach which is perfect! Overall this hotel and the staff are great, would defo recommend it to everyone especially if you are going in a large group! I am returning next year! "

• Travel date: Mon 10th of June 2013

Met expectations..

"I want to start by saying that there was no issue with stealing maids, bugs, not being allowed in your friends rooms, or any of the other horror stories that we read on these sites before we left!
I went to this hotel as a group of 5 girls. Though we knew we would be split into a 3 and a 2, we arrived to find that our rooms were not only not next to each other but were on different floors too! Meanwhile, the lads next door had got rooms next to each other when we checked in first.. As a cheap holiday we didn't expect too much, and that's exactly what we got - a simple, self catered room. The only thing that would've improved it was a kettle, as you had to go the long way around to boil water e.g. hobs and pans.
A few of us had problems with the sheets, e.g. blood, uv paint, but this was rectified within minutes of the complaint. Also my hobs didn't work but the hotel worker came and fixed it straight away too.
Another main issue was the shower curtain being too short, which meant that every time you showered you basically flood the bathroom - we had to put down one of the towels that the hotel provided to soak up the water.. so i would recommend that one of your party takes a spare towel.
Location-wise it is fine, about a ten minute walk from the main strip, but a bit of a trek away from the beach should you want to visit.
I would recommend getting the safe and definitely get air con - we didn't bother with it, thinking the heat wasn't worth the cost, but by the end of the week we had severely regretted this! Air con comes at the price of 60 euros per week, which in my opinion is excessive considering it's not a particularly good system.
The security guard was nice, just did his job. You weren't supposed to bring people from outside hotels in, but a few people managed it. The staff in general were quite short with you, didn't seem very happy and were heavy with the fines! Don't break anything for sure.. Also, don't take any bottles round the pool with you. not even for 2 minutes on the way back to your room. According to'greek tax laws' you aren't allowed to.. but rather than letting you take the bottles back to your room, they will open them and pour them away right in front of your face! alcohol, juice or squash, no matter what it cost you to buy them.
Saturday night allt he locals were out, so if you don't like having your bum grabbed then avoid candy!
Definitely make a visit to banana, malibu and zig-zag. also the staff at the union jack pub are absolutely lovely and can't do enough for you.
generally this hotel was what you would expect from the type of holiday and the price range. I wouldn't return, just because I'm not one for visiting the same place twice. But I wouldn't tell people not to go there either.

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2012

malia girls love the odyssey

"A group of 5 girls from manchester, we didnt expect much seen as it was an 18-30s hotel and after all the reviews we had read. But everyone writing bad reviews musn't of known what malia was about, the hotel was very clean and really nice we was shocked how nice it was. The reps also told us it was the nicest 18-30s hotel they have. Our shower was hot the shower curtains don't reach the floor but you don't go to malia to worry about the bathroom floor being wet now do you? We had basic cutlery but we eat out every night it was cheap enough. 'Men' one of the managers is lovely aswel, we got charged 30euros for loosing our room key but that was our fault didnt get charged for anything else, the staff don't mither you and just let you get on with your holiday. The pool and around is it very nice and have music playing from 9 in the morning falling asleep by the pool and waking up to things like 50cent you know your in malia! Everyone we met at the hotel was amazing we miss them all and are having a reunion!!!! Everyone was like one big family, just leave your doors open and walk in and out of each others room you truely meet the best people here. Everyone comes and goes on the same day that was one of the best things so that we all was new together and didnt have to leave people. Love everyone we met at the hotel. Anyone going to this hotel will have the besttttt time ever and you will cry when you have to go home just to warn you and you will also be fullllllll of hena's from drunken antics! On your way home from the strip get a pizza from pitstop you will see it just on the corner to the strip truely the best pizzas ive ever had, crave them all the time, and go to zigzag club that is the best by far. P.s i would not advise anyone to have a natural yogurt fight in the hotel you WILL be made to clean it up"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of July 2012

Dump!

"Just got back from a week here and would never go back I didn't expect the ritz but I expected it to be clean and tidy it wasn't, when we arrived the bedding was dirty and stained it only got changed once in a week. We had a towel each which only got changed once we had to use then every time we used the bathroom as the shower leaked because the shower curtain wasn't long enough, the bins were supposed to be changed daily it was changed once. The floor was disgusting dirty and hairs everywhere can't walk around bare footed. The staff were very rude when we confronted them about the towels and the bins if you don't mind slumming it for a week then it's the place for you. Never again!! "

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2012

had a wicked time

Good

"No cutlery, but there is a kitchen with a hob, and the beds are good. We got a balcony so we were lucky :) but the other rooms are still nice. Staff a little rude but maybe just because of language barrier. Pool music plays constantly, but the pool is wicked and the bar's good too. Close to everything. WARNING - a girl that stayed with us got raped on the last night. There is a crew going by the name MRC (Malia Rape Crew) and they have it tattooed on their legs. GIRLS - don't go anywhere alone! Shouldn't be any trouble as long as you don't lose your common sense. "

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2012

Hotels near Odyssey Apartments

Stayed at Odyssey Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Odyssey Apartments

• Jib by Jib

"all of then but the red lion "

• jason 1611 by jason 1611

"think twice about going, do some research "

• jason 1611 by jason 1611

"sticky fingers on the main strip yum yum "

• BIZZLE by BIZZLE

"It is what you make it "

• BIZZLE by BIZZLE

"Red Lion - Malibu Bar "

• Odyssey09 by Odyssey09

"Best place in the world "

• Odyssey09 by Odyssey09

"Bananas, Appolo, ZigZag "

• hmarshmellow by hmarshmellow

"Premier Bar, Safari Bar, Red Lion Restaurant, Quads =) "

• Malia2009 by Malia2009

"Go! You won't regret it! "

• Malia2009 by Malia2009

"Sticky Fingers, Zigzag, Pink Fish, Lush Bar, Malibu etc. "

• DYSART1 by DYSART1

"The PR guys are really annoying but just play deaf but the native greeks are really cool "

• DYSART1 by DYSART1

"blue sky video bar, red lion, union jack, pit stop take-away and sticky fingers "

• ohahh2009 by ohahh2009

"Sticky Fingers,Bikini Beach, Malibu, Zig Zag, Candy, Bar One, Cafe Mambo, Premier, The Loft, Apollo "

• kaytee89 by kaytee89

"Great apartments, clean with shops, the strip and the beach all near by! "

• kaytee89 by kaytee89

"Zigzag, the loft, jumpin jaks, vbar, pink fish, apollo, indie bar, venue, sticky fingers, beachroad "

• sarabeg by sarabeg

"it will literally be the best holiday of your life if you just go crazy!! "

• sarabeg by sarabeg

"jumping jacks, red lion, banana club, "

• aaamc by aaamc

"malia is a party 24/7 so get ready :) "

• willis456 by willis456

"Its called the ZOO for a reason! youve gotta go mental! "

• Claire by Claire

"you cant judge unless tried it! "