Iris Beach Malia

Dimokratias St., Malia, Crete 700 07 Greece

Good

Good location nios and maria look after you and good bar!!

"I been to malia for 4 years and this was the best place i stayed by far great location right by the beach! Nikos and Maria rly look after you compared to the other places where they fine you for everything you do!! The bar is great the drinks are alot stronger than some of the ones you get further up the strip would recomend staying here if you go to Malia!!
x"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of January 2010

By the beach and best 2 bars in malia...what can i say!!!

"Okay so I stayed in this hotel with my 2 other friends in August. I have been to malia before in 2008 but at a different hotel. When we arrived at 4 in the morning we were greeted by nikos and maria...very friendly and helpful. Maria seemed to be awake every day and every night and if we needed anything she was always there.

This hotel was fairly cheap so we werent expecting alot but it was spacious and had 2 hobs and fridge....just what we needed for our beers!!

The hotel is right by the beach...you cant get much closer and is at the end of the strip so at night there is no noise but you are about a 2 min walk from all the clubs main bars so we werent complaining!!!

There are 4 bars right next to this hotel...i recommend Oscars Bar and Charlies Bar...your sure to have a fun night at these 2 places playing games and banging out the tunes!!

Anyway im going back next year to work and will be back at this hotel for sure!!!"

Amazing location, great hotel

"myself and one friend stayed here for a week in august 2009, we turned up in the afternoon and didnt really know where to go but the other guest around the hotel helped us and led us to Maria, one of the hotel managers. she took our passports (which is normal out there) and offered both air conditioning (20 euros per week) and a safe (15 euros i think) for a specific price. we chose just to buy a safe but we should have paid for the air conditioning too as it did get a little bit stuffy, but we coped! I do recommend paying for the safe and air conditioning though, the safe is probably needed in Malia! internet £1 per 15-30 mins i think, computers in oscars bar (owned by iris) and in iris hotel.

Room - basic, but great for what we paid for! would definitly recommend. bathroom was small and shower did leak a bit but cant complain!
Pool - no problems at all
Location - amazing, right near the beach (litrally a 2 minute walk) and at the bottom of the strip (oscars is an amazing bar!! definitly visit there to start the night) . We could hear music from the room but the bars close around about 2am so no need to worry if you are here for 18-30 holiday. Oscars great for daytime food, big supermarket 2min walk, everything you need litrally 2 minutes walk away!
Beach - great, hotel is very very close

hotel security dont let anyone else back but this is for your own safety and it is the same in every hotel in malia, we had no problem and the security guard always made us feel welcome and safe, but id be aware of the beach after about 5am.

club 18-30 & 2wentys will try get you to go on excursions, we didnt but everyone that did enjoyed them a lot, if we had gone for longer (and brought more money with us - was a last min holiday) we definitly would have gone on some!

couldn't complain at all, would definitly recommend, anyone who complains obviously hasnt been on 18-30 holidays or they are expecting way too much!!"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of January 2010

Very basic but great location

"The apartments were VERY basic, extremely small (& smelly) bathroom & tiny kitchen area. The terrace area attached to our apartment was nice to sit & eat breakfast or chill in the evenings. Really horrid matresses, gave me a bad back! Additional cost for air con which was absolutely essential due to the weather in July.

Having said that, I would still reccommend Iris for open minded party people...this is a 2* apartment so you get what you pay for. The main plus point was the location, very close to the beach (2min walk) & to the malia nightlife (5mins) but further away enough to keep away from the noise. Despite 'slumming it' we still had a fun & memorable week."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of October 2009

Ideal for groups

"The apartments were quite basic and you after buy our own toilet role because they only provide you one for the whole week.
I would recommend these app's for young groups of people, they are VERY VERY noisy, the strips starts right next doors so your never short of pubs and the beach is about a 2 min walk away.
I wasn’t sure at first because when I goggled in the app's seemed to be in the middle of nowhere but trust me, the bang in the middle of everything.
I would certainly never go as a couple again though.
The prices are very expensive too, the aircon is 50 euros for 1wk and the safes are 15euros for 1 wk. Also, it cost us another 30euros to keep the room on for an extra few hours which I thought was quite allot as its nearly 20 quid in English cash too!!.
The pool wasn’t cleaned all week either, it was full of dead mosquitoes and wasps. The water was starting to go a misty colour and the pumps weren’t switched on so it was obvious there was something wrong with it."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of August 2009

Cheap but Cheerfull!!

Good

"Me and 7 friends went to Malia and stayed in the Iris hotel in June, June was a good time to go because it was busy but i imagine july would be TOO busy!!

Now i read some bad review about this hotel so we were scared saying there wasnt any air conditoning! we paid about £80 for a weeks stay which is dirt cheep!!
Firstly PERFECT LOCATION apart from the hotel which is on the beach (which is too noisy too sleep) this hotel is the nearest to the beach you walk over the road and its there. And if you go right as you walk out of the gates you are at one end of the stip which starts with bars and then gets into the clubs, so its like a 2 min walk to the lively bit of the strip!
MAria the woman who owned the hotel was great and really friendly, they also own OSCARS bar next to it and the food is nice in there

The DO have airconditioning at at cost so we didnt buy any there is also a SAFE!!

The only 1 thing i could fault it on was that the shower wasnt big so the water dropped onto the floor and the floor was consinatly wet!! Also we had hot water, but the other room with 4 girls that we went with didnt have hot water!

The apartments are quite spacious.

overall brilliant, if i went back to Malia (which i would) i would go back here :)"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of July 2009

This is Malia, and you get what you pay for!

"if like me, youve booked this because it was fairly cheap then dont expect it to be 4*! the rooms are a bit dated but clean. In it located right on the end of the strip so perfect if you want a wild night out. The pool was a bit grim, but it wasnt a problem for me as the beach was right on the door step."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of March 2009

Friendly family run apartments

Good

"I had stayed in Malia once before in the old town 11 years ago. This time I thought I'd stay nearer the beach.

The Iris apartments are 30 meters from the beach. It is a small family run hotel, managed by Maria, her mother Ekaterina and her father Manos amongst others. Whom I found to be very friendly, helpful and informative. The accommodation was good, clean and spacious .I was lucky that I had two balconies I had a lovely view of the sea from the front balcony and a quiet sheltered balcony to the rear. The swimming pool was sheltered and secluded in pleasant gardens with fruit trees, grape vines, palms and an abundance of flowers. Maria informed me that they have not owned the Iris for a long period and have improved standards greatly. I could find no fault.

The Iris is situated on the bottom of the main road in Malia. There are fewer nuisances from the noisy quad bikes and scooters. It is in easy reach of all the restaurants and bars catering for all types of cuisine. Oscar’s bar is part of the Iris and has a selection of food available throughout the day. There is a pool bar but was closed as it was near the end of the season. Next to Oscar’s there is Charlie’s bar run by Nikos who is another relative and he is good at making cocktails!

I went at the end of the season and Malia was quiet and bars were closing down in the 2nd week of October. Next to Malia is Stalis which was still thriving. In the height of the season Malia is a clubbers paradise, too noisy for me.

Do not restrict yourself to the resort as Crete has so much more to offer. I hired a car for three days and I will have to go again as there is so much more for me to discover. I also cycled; the roads are quite flat along the coast."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of October 2008

loved it here the other review is ridiculously misleading!

Good

"After reading the previous review i was slightly apprehensive about staying at the Iris.
Being in a group of three 17 year old girls, on our first holiday away from parents etc, we were a bit nervous anyway and after reading this review we were more than a little regretting booking to stay there!
Obviously not expecting 5* luxury, but not staying in a 'filthy and smelly' room.
But i can honestly say, the rooms were not filthy and smelly, or dark and dingy.
They were simple, basic, clean and more than acceptable to live in. The pool area was nice, with a lovely poolside bar and very nice food could be delivered from the next door restaraunt any time during the day.
The owners were very helpful ( when my friend was very ill on the first day ) and made us feel very welcomed and 'looked after'.
I would honestly return to these apartments in an instant, they were ideal for the type of holiday people go to malia for, and they were in the best location possible. ( right at the bottom of the main strip where it was actually possible to get some sleep! and 1 minute from the beach! )
I would not be put off by the previous report, and make your own mind up, like i did myself and got a pleasant surprise!"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of August 2007

Do not visit

"Ok not got much time here but listen do not visit this hotel it was the worst stay of myl ive. I went on holiday with 12 guys last summer we were assaulted by hotel security, made to pay for damages that did not happen and not to mentions the rooms are filthy and smelly and dark and dingy."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of April 2007

Iris Apts are Amazinggg!

"After reading the other reviews on here, me and my 5 friends (all girls) were worried about the Iris Apartments, however they were fantastic. They were very basic although that was expected after the great price we paid. All the staff are very friendly and as soon as we walked into reception we were invited for a drink by the bar man. We had two rooms and both were absoloutely fine, except the shower had broke in one room so 6 of us had to use 1 shower which wasnt really a problem. However be prepared for cold/lukewarm showers! Both rooms had a spacious balcony were drinking games commenced everynight and the wardrobe was huge for all our clothes! The only bad thing is that the cleaner never changed our sheets in 10 days or gave us fresh towels, however we recieved these after asking at reception. The security man is lovely, he walked us to our room every morning when we got in, but dont expect to bring anyone back as he wont allow it, and he does have a taser gun! Iris is in the best location, about 1 minute walk to the beach and 5 minutes into the main bit of the strip. The pool is okay but i doubt it is reguarly cleaned and the snack bar offers allsorts of food! I would definitely stay here again, perfect for partying in malia!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of July 2009

malia 2009

"i went to malia in june 2009 wiv a group of lads. there were 8 of us all together! we had the best 2 weeks of our lives!..i will making sure i go back to malia in the near future!! We stopped in the IRIS aparments and it was ideal for what we paid for!! It was in the idel location, bout 1min walk to the beach and is situated at the end of the strip, which was perfect becuase we started in (OSCARS) the bar next door and then workd our way up the strip to all the bars n clubs (about a 5min walk) which are breathtaking!! It is owned by MARIE and NIKOS who are amazing, they make you feel at home, and are always there for you if you need anything!! rooms were ideal..cleaned every other 2 days...neva had 1 cockroach or anything like that. the pool was a desent size!! has a pool bar and a friendly barman!! just watch out for the security gard, he can be a party pooper!! thats the only negative! overall every1 who is apart of the IRIS are rele friendly!! i would recommend this apartment to people cuming for a holiday to malia!! was a plaesure to stop ther...and will be hopefully going back to the IRIS in the near future!"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of July 2009

Hotels near Iris Beach Malia

Stayed at Iris Beach Malia? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Iris Beach Malia

• sam smith by sam smith

"malia was awesome...going back there again!!...its a MUST "

• d4nii by d4nii

"Banana Bar, Zig Zag and The Red Lion must be visited! "

Iris Beach Malia is also called