Danelis Apartments

15 Machis Kritis near the main Malia strip, Malia, Crete 700 07 Greece

Good

Great hotel...

"We stayed at Danelis in May of 2008. I have nothing bad to say about the hotel and it's lovely family at all. We went early in the season to avoid the heat and the main tourist season. Nikos was waiting for us when we arrived at 4am.

The rooms are clean and simple, if you want gold plated everything go to New York! Food is great, well cooked by Eva and arrives warm and tasty when it arrives (you're in Greece, the pace of life is slower, expect it! And after all you're on holiday...). Toby is lots of fun behind the bar and is around all day to serve drinks and sort out whatever you need.

Primarily this is a hotel for the young I think, (we're late 30's) so there's music all day and into the night (no problem, take your earplugs if you need your sleep). But I cannot fault the hotel and it's staff at all. Having read the other reviews I was dubious before going, but I have no complaints. The family take pride in the business they run and do as much as they can to make your holiday relaxing and enjoyable.

Chill, enjoy Crete and all it has to offer, and let the Danelis family take care of you. I will go back in September if I can and I would recommend anyone else to stay here."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of May 2008

Friendly atmosphere

Good

"Stayed at the Danelis Apts for a week in Sept 07 with three other friends. My first impression of the room and hotel was that it was very clean. The room had a mountain and sea view!
The hotel is in a great position: within walking distance from the main strip, but far away enough not to be disturbed and surrounded by farmers fields.The pool was beautiful and the hotel at night looked amazing. Its a family run hotel and all were very friendly. Food was great too.
We were a group of four girls aged between 18 and 20. I'd say that the majority of people staying there were groups of young males or females, with the odd older coulple. However i would not recommend Malia for families with young children or anyone looking for a quiet holiday as it is very upbeat and lively ."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of September 2007

A Joke!

"We stayed at the Danelis apartment for 2 weeks in July 07. when we first arrived we thought we had found a really nice place to stay, the hotel looked nice & it was clean. during our stay we just couldn't bear to be in the hotel, food orders took abot 2 hours & the joke of a bar man Toby sometimes didn't even pass your order on so you would be waiting for nothing. i lost the saftey deposit box key because my bag got stolen on a night out, the only reason we took it out was because loads of stuff had been stolen from the hotel, it took 3 days for them to get someone out to open our safe which had all our money in, insurance etc. they made us feel like we were hassleing them all the time because we wanted answers & they would not let us know what was going on! people that worked outin Malia would also use the hotel pool area as their apartment, they slept on the sun beds & used the wash room as their shower room to get ready, their clothes etc was always hanging around reception which looked untidy & thats where they actually lived!!!! oh yeah you always got threatened by a BB gun everytime you wanted to get a drink which really scared me as i hate them & the prices of the drinks would change every day sometimes it would be more one day than it was the other. the bar man actually chased someone down the road with a razor blade one night which just made me think "what the hell is this place i am staying in". oh yeah almost forgot, "apparently" the hotel in run by the "GREEK MAFIA". I did have an amazing holiday when i was away from the hotel but i will never stay here again. My friend & I are both 21 & we were proabably the oldest throughout our stay at the hotel but everyone younger we spoke to said they had a good time so maybe it was just our age that we couldn't actually believe the stuff that was going on!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of July 2007

Staying with the Danelis Family!

"I stayed at the Danelis apartments for 2 weeks in sep 06 with a group of close friends and had the best time ever! Every one of us enjoyed the stay and the family were so welcoming and made you feel like one of the family!

we didnt want to do the typical 18-30s thing and this hotel was perfect for us, as it was close enough to walk to the main strip and beach but far away enough to have a bit of peace and quiet to relax

the apartments were clean, and spacious and the maid cleaned the rooms regularly. if you needed anything all you had to do was ask one of the family and they would be happy to help! we left a lot of valuable things all over the place in our rooms and nothin was ever moved or taken, which helped us to trust the family.

All the staff were fun, and friendly-Nikos, Makos, Eva, Anna and even the kids! its a place to go either with friends or family, as its only a small hotel so its a relaxin place for everyone to be! you also need to try out the family resturant called Steki in nearby Stalis :) the entertainment that the family provide is amazin and the foods just as good too!

the bar back at the hotel is great, try the red vodka! its like coca cola tip tops! Nikos will stay up all night tryin to beat you at Dominos or Pool and then he will be back up before you in the mornin to entertain all the guests through out the day! Eva is a wonderful cook so whatever you order will always be fresh and doesnt cost much at all...and they always have a freezer full of magnum ice creams! :)

We have all booked to go again for 2 weeks this year so it must be good! i recommend anyone visiting malia, with friends or with family to definitely stay at the Danelis apartments as they will do everythin they can to make you have a comfortable stay! Plus Anna who works there used to be a holiday rep and gives you honest advice about any aspect of Malia!

I look forward to seein the Danelis family again!"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of March 2007

Thieving Staff

"Went to Malia with a couple of friends in Sep 2006. We are all young professionals so we paid a premium for to get a nice place as the typical '18-30' holiday wasnt our scene i.e. we wanted some peace and quiet thru the day, although we did go for the nightlife obviously.

Anyway the complex was nice enough, apartments are about what you would expect in any of these resorts. Low budget etc. Shower was a bit of a nightmare and always flooding but apart from that no complaints. Pool area is clean and nice and everyone was friendly.

My one serious complaint however was the day we were packing we started to notice things were missing. My £400 camera went missing as did my friends wedding ring (he had taken it out his wallet as he was no longer married). As the rooms were locked at all times and there was a security guard patrolling the place I am left with no doubt in my mind one of the staff entered the room and stole both items.

The owner was less than helpful when I approached him on the matter, infact he got very defensive and aggressive to the point that I suspected him more. Especially when he insisted I double check my bags (like I hadnt done that 3 times before) which tried to make me out to be a liar.

It really put a dampener on my holiday as when I returned the insurance company werent prepared to listen to my claim without police reports etc. Whoever stole the items took them specifically because they would seem like they had been lost outside, only we never took the camera or ring out all holiday!! Furthermore there was more valuable items in the room such as a PS2 and mp3 player etc.

A further warning for the females, the owner is rather sleazy and I witnessed him trying to ask female guests to touch him in a certain place (im sure you can put two and two together without me having to lower the tone). Obviously they didnt oblige but a rather awkward situation I thought.

Spend your money elsewhere. Sleeping with one eye open is not my idea of a good time."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of January 2007

loved malia, HATED danelis

"I have recently come back from staying at the Danelis and thought that the management's attitude was absolutely disgusting! I was appalled by the way my friends and I were treated, we recieved no respect what so ever. They were rude, rude and rude! The manager shouted at us on numerous occassions and when we tried reasoning with them they would never listen and threaten to chuck us out of the hotel. On one occassion to make sure that we stayed at the hotel we were blackmailed into cleaning the balcony! Not our balcony but the balcony that the rest of the guests were also using. The cleaner did nothing to better our stay either as the sheets were only changed once through the duration and the floors never cleaned. One of my friends also found a creature in the lettuce in her sandwich which I do not expect on my holidays. Danelis is a joke!!"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of August 2011

Hotels near Danelis Apartments

Stayed at Danelis Apartments? Share your insight.

Danelis Apartments is also called