Royal Belvedere

Good

The food at this hotl was always luke warm, with no good varity, rubbish.

Reviewed 14th November 2013

"The hotel was spotless. The food was disgusting. When we complained to Thompson they said there was nothing wrong with the food. There are other comments about the food, so it cant be just me. The price you pay is not cheap for a so called 4 star hotel it was disgusting, and Thompsons are a waste of time, they do not listen. Would never recommend this to anyone. I would never believe in all inclusive again, I do not believe them."

• Travel date: 14th November 2013

Golden dawn

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"This hotel was host to a meeting of the nazistic, fascistic party Golden Dawn,to host this meeting, you must be like them.... Better not to go there as a tourist, as this party stands for "no foreigner"policy so if you are a tourist,better not go here, as you are a foreigner as well...."

• Travel date: 28th November 2012

2 TEIR ALLINCLUSIVE SHOCK

Reviewed 20th September 2012

"Arrived home 18/09/2012 very clean hotel staff polite on steep hill food ok we booked allinclusive with first choice when we asked for cocktails we were told our wrist bands were wrong color on asking at reception we were told we could upgrade for a further 13euros a day pp we booked in good faith with first choice these cocktails are made with local booze will never book with this company again tom liverpool "

• Travel date: 19th September 2012

Lovely hotel, accurately described

Reviewed 25th August 2011

"Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Royal Belvedere.Lovely hotel, rooms very spacious & clean. Staff were excellent, food very good , facilities and views lovely as it is set high up a hill with 5 swimmimg pools. Entertainment was mainly german as the guests were predomidently from there, but still enjoyable. All inclusive goes on til 1 am. You can use the facilities of the Imperial which is next door and eat at both. The pool there is higher and has more of a breeze which was nice in hot weather. Overall a very enjoyable week, only negatives I can think of is an uphill walk back if you venture out ( it is 7 Euros taxi ride into Hersonissos )and the beaches are not great. "

• Travel date: 22nd August 2011

The best place to holiday for all ages

Reviewed 8th October 2010

"I came back from this beautiful hotel just yesterday. Still a bit jet lagged! This holiday was the second best i've been on! All the staff were amazing especially the animation team, as my family got to know them very very very well! Arno, Eline, Lieselot, Matthias, Elke, Yentl, Ann, Laurence, Alex, Mauroane, Alex #, Romert and (sorry if I missed any of you out) were all amazing people and I'm missing them already especially Arno and Eline. The food was amazing and the waiters and waitresses were very good especially one of them (I don't know there names because they didn't wear name badges, one small downside). The cleanliness of the hotel overall was very impressive but the maid never made the beds properly, but wasn't too much of a problem apart from when you were extremly tired after watching the evening entertainment. The evening entertainment was very good, but most people say that they don't enjoy it, but when you know the animation team it makes it so much better, as you know there personality and sense of humour. The pools were nice and clean apart from the top pool being very salty water, but you do get used to it and it seems like normal water. I would advise you to take a shower (at the pool side showers) after every time you enter the showers as you find the salt irritating you, as said by the one and only, legend, Arno! I've got many amazing memories from this holiday as it will be rememebered for years to come and I'm hoping to go here again in the very very near future! P.S the day time entertainment was very good and organized, and as already said its better when you know the animation team as, believe me, you have so much more fun! "

• Travel date: 7th August 2010

Lovely, would recommend.

Reviewed 15th July 2010

"Just arrived home from two weeks all inclusive at the Royal Belvedere and what a lovely holiday it was! Reception staff very friendly on arrival and check in was quick. There was always someone available at reception and any issues were promptly sorted out. Guests are majority German and French but this never bothered us apart from at dinner times when there was some pushing in. Rooms were very spacious and extremely clean, the linen and towels were changed every day. The maids worked very hard at keeping the rooms and the hotel spotless. The beds were very comfortable and always had a good nights sleep. Television is mainly German with about two English channels, however only watched the telly when getting ready to go out so this wasn’t a big problem. The pool area was lovely with plenty of room for everyone as the pool is huge, however it is very deep. Never had a problem getting a sun bed so no early morning sun bed shifts either! However if you would like a sun bed cushion you do have to pay extra. Star beach Water Park was also a nice place to go during the day. There is a free bus from the hotel but it is fine to walk to as it is located at the bottom of the hotel across the road. There are plenty of water sports activities as well as a bungee jump, which was fun to watch. Only downside is you are not allowed to bring your own food and drink (water is allowed) and bags are searched as you enter. You also have to pay for sun beds and umbrellas which are 3 euros each. The sea can also get a bit rough at times but when it was calm it was lovely. Plenty of choice when it came to the food at the hotel, at least four choices of meat each night, pasta, soup, chips, potatoes, vegetables and plenty of fresh fruit and salad were available. Food was regularly replaced as the amounts got low. The dining room did tend to get busy half way through the sitting but we always managed to find a table. The waiting staff was also very polite and quick at clearing the tables. Snack bar opened from 10 o'clock till 6 o’clock serving alcohol and soft drinks, as well as chips, pizza, toasties, popcorn, ice cream and fruit salad. The animation team worked very hard at providing entertainment during the day and on the evening. However the evening entertainment could get irritating at times with the lack of singing and all the miming! Hersonisos centre has lots of bars as well as plenty of shops to browse round. The hotel is quite close to Hersonisos centre and took about 10-15 minutes to walk there, so a taxi wouldn’t be too expensive. Me and my boyfriend also went into Malia for a bit more excitement which cost 15 euros in a taxi one way. Bar staff were lovely and quick at serving, they also remembered what you were drinking which was nice. However I was disappointed when I found out there were two types of all inclusive, there was your standard all inclusive (green wrist bands) and an inclusive plus (gold wrist bands). There wasn't much difference except the people with gold wrist bands were allowed free cocktails and sun bed towels whereas people with green wrist bands would have to pay an extra cost. Peach schnapps also wasn't available and this is what I usually drink. So I was disappointed by this and found some of the drinks available hard to swallow (but I am fussy when it comes to alcohol). I did end up drinking the cherry brandy which was the nicest from the selection. There was also only one choice of beer but my boyfriend liked the beer and happily drank it. The two type of all inclusive options weren’t stated at the time of booking and when I asked reception about this they told me it would cost an extra 7 euros each per night to upgrade to all inclusive plus, and that all members of the party would have to upgrade, I chose not to do this as I felt it was very expensive Would definitely recommend the trip to Spinalonga which we booked through an excursion company in Hersonisos for approx. 35 euros each. Lovely day out and the pork steaks from the BBQ were delicious. Also didn’t get sea sick for the first time in years which was definitely a bonus! Overall this was a lovely hotel and would definitely recommend. Thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and was sad to come home :-( "

• Travel date: 5th July 2010

FANTASTIC !!!

Reviewed 9th June 2010

"Just came bak from this hotel n it was fantastic !!! The hotel was really nicely done up n staff were very friendly and fun. The cleaness of rooms n grounds was very good, the food was brilliant - plenty of choice for all tastes,the activitys and pools ( salt water ) were excellent for all ages,the park was very nice for children. I think the nightly animation team could have been alot better, found watchin the same people mimin and actin silly very borin !!! The hotel was up a very big hill,so if u hav a disibility or are elderly then i wouldnt recommend this hotel ( they did free buses to star beach though ) certain meal times you cudnt get a cuppa and could be abit of a walk to the snack bars to get one ( dependin where your room is )so if you like a lot of coffee / tea - take your own kettle ( i did )!!! all in all i luved this place n would definatly go bak if there wasnt other countrys id like to see ... haha :)) "

• Travel date: 8th June 2010

Nice Hotel in general - could improve!

Reviewed 13th August 2009

"Having just spent 2 weeks at the Royal Belvedere I wish to share our experience with those who are interested. First impressions say a lot, and initially we had very little to grumble about. The Hotel was clean and tidy including the pool areas. The Reception service was friendly. The bedrooms were basic but comfortable, the bathroom was unusually spacious. The grounds were beautifully presented and well maintained. To access certain bedrooms though you had to climb a lot of stairs to get to the pool area, restaurant and reception, quite a challenge for anybody. The variety of food we thought was excellent, perhaps the childrens menus lacked choice which would be an issue for some families. However the servery counters were situated in such a way which suited the European 'non-queueing' nations which meant the minoroty British vistors had to join in the melee. The negatives are relatively minor but could affect peoples decisions to book. The location was on the edge of Hersonissos which was more appealing to the young kids who like spending all night drinking and all day sleeping. The local beaches were poor and not very inviting. We felt the evening entertainment programme, particularly for adults became somewhat monotonous with the only an occassional gem to report. We would have expected professional entertainment once or twice a week as provided by other All Inclusive Hotels we have visited, even the kids got bored after a while. The childrens entertainment was predominantly for the European kids which put-off our kids joining in, we thought this was because the kids entertainers were of european origin and used German & Dutch as first choice languages. Despite being polite and explicit we found the bar staff quite rude at times. The drinks package included locally produced beers, wines and spirits which was no surprise but we found the included cocktails were thrown together without much affort. We did not think we should be paying a hire charge for the sun-bed cushions, we felt this should have been 'inclusive' perhaps this could be addressed. The greek night which was put on once a week attracted an additional charge which we felt was a bit cheeky. It was difficult to justify the charge too, the food was no better than that served in the restaurant apart from the king prawns and chocolate fountain. In summary, we enjoyed the good food, the good weather had a good relaxing break and perhaps our feedback will go someway to improve our fair comments. "

• Travel date: 13th August 2009

fantastic

Reviewed 13th February 2009

"this has been my third time at this hotel and I'm going again this year. It is totally amazing and the staff are lovely. The food is also great. Who cares that one of the computers was not working, who goes on holiday to surf the net. The pools are lovely and you also have use of next doors pools also. The clubs in town are about ten min walk away and there great. The rooms are perfect for the type of holiday which it is, very clean. I recommend going to star beach great for teens. Please don't listen to the bad comments, if it's so bad why spend so much time commenting on here FANTASTIC. Please go you will love it. Very family orientated with great entertainers and pool side games all day"

• Travel date: 13th February 2009

Warning: If you’re not Spanish, you’...

Reviewed 16th August 2008

"Warning: If you’re not Spanish, you’ll have no joy at this hotel... First of all, arriving at the hotel mid-day, we found the reception area pleasant- it was clean and there was ample seating for us to wait around, however, there were a total of 5 computers with internet access, two of which were out of use. I found this a great inconvenience- a few more computers wouldn’t go a miss. The receptionists pretended they didn’t understand English- it was like all of the staff didn’t appreciate the English, for example, we received dirty looks when moving chairs into the shade (when it was only about a foot away), all the Spanish got served before us deliberately, and we asked for a morning call and we never received one! Even though the previous night we had seen the staff write it down- they claimed it was never written down, and if it was, it was a computer error. Now, unless computers in Spain are programmed against the English, this was highly unlikely. If it wasn’t for our mobile phones we would have missed our flight. If you’re English, young, want to have a good experience- please chose a different hotel. I wouldn’t wish this hotel on my worst enemy. As for the food... Where to start? It was horrible, especially if you were under the age of sixty- horrible as in it was the same rubbish EVERY day- there is absolutely NO variety at this hotel. I thought if I see more veal, it would put us off it for life. Fussy eaters will go home either 2 stone lighter from starvation, or if they like pizza (which personally I didn’t have a problem with) , two stone heavier. Children were served fish fingers every night and chips were even served with breakfast. The sausages were awful. The veg was disgusting The bread was hard and what we would consider normal sliced white bread was too sweet- Ok, bread in Spain IS generally sweet, so that’s not really the hotels fault. Don’t even get me started on the state of the scrambled egg. The omelettes cooked fresh, were decent at best. However, for the decent food, you’d have to queue for AGES. I cannot stress enough just how little variety there is at Belvedere, we stayed at Calypso previously two years ago, and there was better food there. You even had to queue for fried eggs!!! The rooms are small and pokey, although they are clean. The showers are like... a drizzle of rain... the bathrooms smelt of sewers (in fact, the whole hotel stank. Especially the dining room- we felt sick walking in there. Now, I have a fear of dead fish, especially the smell. This hotel didn’t help. The beds were clean, but they are close together so we moved them to opposite ends of the room, however, the very courteous maids (sarcasm) kept moving them back. Now, this was an inconvenience, but at least the room was clean. We did however find a large cockroach hiding in our shoes. DISGUSTING. The lights in our room wouldn’t work, partly because all the circuits were mixed up. For example, a reading lamp above the bed’s switch turned on the mirror light. Ridiculous. The maids always left the balcony door open meaning that the air con wouldn’t work (it was noisy and rubbish) or people could break in and steal stuff. The pool wasn’t too cold. But had leaves in it and ridiculous rules. It closed at 7! Enough said. The corridors had Silencio por favour signs which everyone chose to ignore. The hotel is basically soundproof. I'm award it 4. simple because it's clean and practical. but it's a nightmare!!!! "

• Travel date: 16th August 2008

i thought the hotel was great, the locat...

Reviewed 12th August 2008

"i thought the hotel was great, the location was good. i went with my friend and her mum and her friend, i was 15 at the time and found the hotel and location offered lots for me and my friend to do. (also 15) the nearest beach star beach, had a small waterpark and offered lots of watersports activitys. i took up the challenge of doing parasailing at sunset wich was fantastic. the pools were great and the place was so hot in august, i came back with such a good tan. and i want to go again! "

• Travel date: 12th August 2008

Just come back had a great time the hote...

Reviewed 3rd June 2008

"Just come back had a great time the hotel was clean plenty of pools to choose from food was good and in perfect location to walk into town .Entertainment wasnt up to much but for £325.00 for 1 week 2 adults im not complaining we will def go back . We felt we had to leave a review on a few websites it doesnt sound too good and i wasnt expecting much but was very suprised when we arrived. Quite alot of foreigners in hotel not that many english but didnt bother us."

• Travel date: 3rd June 2008

Hotels near Royal Belvedere

Top traveller tips for Royal Belvedere

• by tom liverpool

"IF YOU BOOK ALL INCLUSIVE FOR LOCAL DRINKS YOU SHOULD GET THIS AT LEAST"

• by Emmmaaa<3Arno!

"You should definetly book this hotel as this was an amazing hotel! Am planning the come here again!"

• by zoe-05

"Lovely hotel and Crete is Gorgeous"

• by rich&den

"Hersonissos was dirty noisy with very little appeal. The adjacent villages however were delightful"

• by alexdoherty101

"it is a really safe and fun town"

Royal Belvedere is also called

• royal belvedere hersonissos
  • royal belvedere hotel hersonissos