Palatia Village

Kazadzaki Nikou, Hersonissos, Crete 700 14 Greece

Good

What a fantastic hotel!!

"I have recently been to the Palatia apartments in Crete and what a fantastic hotel. It's like being inside a small Greek Village and everyone has there own seperate little greek apartment. I have never been to anything like it before and it really took me by suprise. It's a small family run business and set back on the hill over looking Hersonissos, with a wonderful sea view. It only takes 5 minutes to walk into the lively centre of Hersonissos, however it is a fantastic spot for families and couples as it keeps you away from all the mad nightlife. Upon the hill there are three lovely villages with great restaurants and bars and again is only a five minute walk. The food and the facilities at this hotel were very good and every evening a home cooked, Greek meal is served, from Grandma's cook book!! This was my best holiday yet and what made it even more inviting were George and Maria the hotel owners!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2007

Just Like Home

"Well.... what can I say? These apartments are simply perfect. With stunning views and an excellent location I would definitely recommend the Palatia! Placed midway between the New Town and the Old Town of Hersonissos there really is something to suit all ages and tastes. Good food is available at the pool bar and Greek nights are run on a weekly basis. There is an endless supply of snacks and drinks available throughout the day and the omelettes at breakfast were yummy! The Palatia is an ideal base from which to explore the beautiful island of Crete. Similarly, the pool area is spacious and very clean and the perfect place to spend those lazy afternoons in the sunshine. It's just a short walk in either direction (up or down the road) to the Old and New towns respectively. I recommend a trip to both to experience the atmosphere - they are very different! Many thanks again to George and the family for a fantastic week. The weather was lovely and the company even better. We will definitely be coming back again. Cheers Palatia - Yamas!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

Perfect

"Fantastic! Set a little way into the hills so is removed from the hustle and bustle of Hersonissos town centre. Great pool and pool bar (check out the breakfasts and milk shakes!) Accommodation was simple but clean and comfortable. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We LOVED it!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of June 2007

EXCELLENT, FRIENDLY AND CLEAN ACCOMMODATION

"My husband and I stayed at this hotel late September. The rooms are excellent for self catering in Greece, as often they can be a bit 'dodgy'. Nicest accommodation I have stayed in in Greece. The rooms are cleaned almost daily.

The owners of the hotel are very friendly and George the barman is also nice (lovely on the eye as well).

The food is excellent as well, had lunch there most days and the salads are certainly very nice. Had evening meals there as well a couple of times and they couldn't be faulted.

There is a cretian village about a 5 minute taxi drive away, its really pretty, and a must for a meal out in the evening. Had one of our nicest meals there.

The centre is at least a ten minute walk away with lots of life and loads of restuarants. Bit steep coming home if you are walking but about 6 euros in a taxi.

Its really an ideal place to stay as I imagine if you stayed to close to the centre it would be very noisy as there is loads of traffic.

I would defintely recommend this hotel to anyone and would certainly go back."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of October 2006

Very Friendly

"We stayed from 26th Sept 06 for a week. The accomodation was good, the apartments are small but very clean and fully functional. Ours had a fantastic view from the balcony across Hersonisoss and the mountains. The pool is great and the bar and restaurant are open all day. The bar closes when you want it to! It is very chilled though so no noise worries. Maria and George were fantastic hosts and made us feel right at home, George will shout 'Yamas' over the bar peridoically (usually when he's just poured himself a drink) it means Cheers in Greek. The food is good and well priced.
Hersonisoss itself is 15 mins walk downhill, when you hit the sea front the Dutch quarter is left and everything else is right. The beer seemed to be cheaper in the Dutch quarter. In both parts there are lots of bars both lively and chilled and restaurants serving everthing. There are tons of shops but watch out for the people selling timeshares or something outside the Spar - we didnt stop to find out but spoke to people who did and they regretted it. Watch out for the mad motorists, they dont stop - the zebra crossings are purely decorative! I would imagine in the height of the season it may be difficult to get along the main street on foot as the pavements are rather narrow.
We went into town for the first few nights and then decided that the food was equally good and the atmosphere better at The Palatia, we stayed there for the last 3 nights. The walk back uphill is easily manageable but we are lazy.
I would recommend this hotel for couples and groups who are looking for a chilled out hotel which is close to the action. Possibly not for kids unless they are under two as there is no entertainment, there is a shallow kids pool though which is good for smaller ankle biters.
Enjoy your stay!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Superb

"We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by one of the owners in a very pleasant lobby area. We paid the extra for the air con (35 euro's, but money well spent) and a small amount for the safety deposit box in the room. We were escorted to our room, number 24, and were delighted. Many Greek apartment rooms my fiance and I have stayed in are small and grubby, but this was nice and expansive, with all needs catered for. Cooking implements were limited, but ample to produce the basic foods. Bathroom was large, and the whole room was very clean! The balcony had a view to both the pool side one way, and a view of the olive groves overlooking the strip and the sea. Just far enough away to not get any noise from the clubs of Hersonissos.

The pool side is wonderful, plenty of sun loungers, and the pool itself is wonderful, cool but refreshing, and shelved down from about 1 metre to metres at its deepest. We only had a couple of meals during the day poolside, but the staff seemed excellent and the salads were a delight, and not badly priced. There are many specials laid on by George from "Grandma's cook book" which other guests informed us were very nice. Back to poolside, it is mainly couples and families, but no really young children, and whilst there was a group of 10 or so youngsters, they were kept in check by the owners to ensure the other guests enjoyed their stay.

Hersonissos itself is very nice. It was about a 10 minute walk to the sea front with a multitude of restaurants, and you can choose to go left or right along the front. The main road is between the apartments anfd the front, and has lots of nice shops catering for everything, as well as the excellent bus service along the north of the island. The walk back up to the hotel is a bit steep, so the elderley may need a taxi, but it was nice during the day to walk back up and then plunge into the pool to cool down. As for restaurants, dissapointed with a few on the front, until our last day when we discovered a place called Janis, which is to the left and past the lighthouse, nearer the big hotels. The steak was out of this world, and i would recommend to anyone that they have at least one meal here.

Overall, and excellent holiday, at an excellent complex. I wouldn't hesistate to return if i was going to crete.

As a side note. We recommend the trip to Spinalonga, organised through first choice. Veta, our tour guide was excellent, the food was great, and tan wise....a day at sea is the equivalent of three.....as the saying goes. ENJOY!"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of October 2006

great apartments

"stayed at Palatia village recently with my husband and 10 yr.old son. Great place to stay, very clean and the food at the restaruant was lovely. (try the salads - yum)!!! Pool area also very good and for a change didnt have to fight for sunbeds! George and Maria are great hosts and other George(the barman) is great fun with a wicked sense of humour (nice looking as well ladies, but a bit young for me)

My only gripe is the walk into town as there is no bus sevice going by. It's o.k. going but a killer coming back as it's uphill. Taxi's only 5 euros tho

Hersonissos is a great town to shop as there are shops everywhere - a shopaholics paradise!!! overall a lovoly place to stay."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

Great

"I am 35, as is my wife, we were there with our son who is 5. we had a lovely holiday, met a load of great people, Scottish, English, Irish, N.Irish, Welsh and Dutch, a very cosmopolitan pool side you could say. The accommodation is very clean and comfortable, we had to get aircon separately, 35 euros a week, well worth it. The pool is fantastic with ample sun beds. The bar is priced higher than the town centre, but not overkill, maybe 50 cents per drink higher. some of the ice-creams are expensive. the food is very nice as well especially the salads. George (son in law of the owners)and his family are very nice. Ellen and Dimitri (owners) are also very nice but keep more to the back ground and let George run the place. On the 10 minute walk to the town one evening, we were stopped by Dimitri and he gave us a lift which was very nice of him. Taxis are 5 euros per trip to the town centre which is not bad. We had some nice meals at a restaurant called Fridays. which is on the road from the hotel to the harbour. i have to mention George the bar man he was friendly, and my wife says he was pleasant on the eye!!

the road down to the town has no pavement but it is well lit, and we were never in any danger.

the pavements in the town are not very wide, our kid fell off one, resulting in a nasty gash on his head that required stitches.

ALL IN ALL A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY IN A NICE TOWN, AND ENHANCED WITH AVERY NICE PLACE TO STAY."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of July 2006

Great Atmosphere

"This was my second time to Hersonissos and was the best. Went with my girlfriend this time and we stayed in Palatia. We had a room looking down towards the coast and the strip. The food was great, cooked perfect Irish breakfeasts and probably the best chicken in Crete. George, who owns the Palatia with his family is really friendly and down to earth. The rooms were in great condition and maids came in every day (bit annoying when they came early) and cleaned up and made the bed. Would recommend this place to couples or small groups of 3 etc."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of May 2006

Loved Palatia!!

"Me and my friend stayed in Palatia Village this summer to celebrate the end of our GCSEs. Although the apartments were said to mainly be suitable for families or couples, we found the accomodation to be exactly what we were looking for. The pool was a great temperature, refreshing but not too cold. There weren't loads of screaming toddlers running around the place, nor was there an abundance of lager louts come for a proper lad's holiday. The relatively small size of the accomodation meant that a few (brilliant) cocktails at the hotel bar gained you a sturdy relationship with the staff. There were few cooking implements, but enough to cook a basic meal with. A 5 or 10 minute walk from the new town of Hersonissos, the hotel is set a nice distance from the all the hustle and bustle. A 10 minute walk in the other direction gets you to the queit old town, with a nice square full of traditional Greek restaurants. We hired a quad bike to get around on (as many people do), which enabled us to get to places we may not have been able to reach otherwise (quieter, prettier beaches for example), and gave us the advantage of not having to walk up the hill with bags of shopping to the hotel in the blistering heat (although this wouldnt be too bad, I suppose). For those looking for a night out, there is a collection of small "clubs" (DJ bars, really) in Hersonissos town. However, for a proper night out, head to one of Star Beach's parties, or even better...get a cab to Malia. The inexpensive taxi fare is really worth it...Malia nightlife is definitely an experience. With a huge selection of bars you can party until sunrise. Malia is mainly full of the English, whereas in Hersonissos, they're mainly Irish. At the time we went there were probably more tourists than resisidents, but this didn't stop us having a really great holiday. THANKS PALATIA!!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2005

Hotels near Palatia Village

Stayed at Palatia Village? Share your insight.