Marni Village

8 Seferi Giorgou, Koutouloufari, Hersonissos, Crete 700 14 Greece

Small & perfectly formed

Reviewed Fri 27th of August 2010

"We have just got back form Marni Village, Koutouloufari. During our stay we found all the members of staff were extremely polite. We had a 1 bedroom apt at the front of the complex which was spotlessly clean and well thought out. We always go self catering and this apartment was the best we have ever stayed in. It was well kitted out - from tea towels, a bug buster to plug in the wall and even a kettle and a grater. The whole complex was very clean and beautfully laid out.There were plenty of sun loungers and the pools were never too crowded (not bad in August). Fantastic, would definately recommend these appartments"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of August 2010

Hi, we have just returned from our holid...

Reviewed Wed 6th of August 2008

"Hi, we have just returned from our holidays in Crete and we have to say that it was our best holiday to date. The apts were great big and plenty of room for a family of four,with very effecent staff from the bar staff to the maids. Everything was as advertised and to say that you were treated like you were the only guest would be an understatememt. It is suited to families very much so. Also to the young however if you had a slight problem with walking it may not suit as the hillsback from Hersisonnis are steep. However to counter that a taxi in not expensive. My sons enjoyed it thourly as did my husband. Thank you Marni for a fab holiday. By the way your barmaid at the square pool near the road is a treasure. Many many thanks Marian & family."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of August 2008

We have been to Koutouloufari/Piskopiano...

Reviewed Fri 23rd of May 2008

"We have been to Koutouloufari/Piskopiano (stayed at Serita Beach Hotel twice all inclusive - went back for a 2nd time -what a mistake)spent most of our time in the Koutouloufari, even hired a car )8 times over a period of 16 years with our children when they were very young and have just come back from Marni Village with our exended family, now all grown up, married and with our grand-daughter (14 months). Stayed in a Villa in Marni Village, own pool etc., we all loved it. Couldn't ask for anymore, bearing in mind we have seen the changes over the years. Marni is the best of the 2 villages, no doubt about that. The people are lovely, can't do enough for you. The only problem was we only booked a week!!!!! We have got to know a lot of people over the years and they make you so welcome when you go back. Just read the review, make your own mind up, if you are a moaner don't bother going you will never be happy where ever you go. If you enjoy good food, drink and friendly people, then this is for you. Bearing in mind it is very hot. The Staff at Marni are really lovely, kind, considerate especially Vangellis and all his staff in the Pool Bar, and his bar Dionysis, Kostas in Sergani (beautiful food) Yannis at Fabrica with his Pancakes, just to name but a few in Koutouloufari, then go along to Piskopiano, you will be suprised. So sad we are at home in dreary old England. Enjoy your holiday, it's what you make of it, don't be miserable there is enough time for that at home."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of May 2008

Found this place fantastic. The staff a...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of April 2008

"Found this place fantastic.

The staff are very friendly, the place is spotless, the food is great in the pool bar, the facilities are great.

Before going last year, we had booked to go to Florida this year. After going to Marni Village we cancelled the Florida trip, lost our deposit and have booked to go back to Marni again in June!!!

We can't wait to go back!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of April 2008

My husband and I have visited Crete many...

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2007

"My husband and I have visited Crete many times over the past few years; the place we always return to stay at is the Marni. The friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness of the rooms and the overall atmosphere of the Marni is excellent.

There are plenty of things to do in Koutoulafari, visit Sara and Angelo at the Sports Cafe for a cheerful evening with bar tricks and laughs, very helpful advice if you have a problem. The Iokasti restaurant is good value, the steaks are excellent. Jorge can recommend a good Cretan wine to go with your meal. Gallini has the most exceptional service and pretty wonderful food. For homely food and good banter it is well worth going to Patriko (just past the Wishing Well, on the road to Piskopiano) and meeting Zac and Manos who run the restaurant.

Never go to the Marni without using the pool bar, this year Illias and Lilla are very hospitable and good fun. Also you must meet Mia in the bottom pool bar during the day or at Dionysos Bar (in the village) during the evening. Both bars are owned by Vangelis and Kateryna who are fantastic hosts and lovely people.

Local supermarkets are good but for convenience use the Sunrise Bakery (at the end of the Marni drive) owned by Dimitris and Jean, both very helpful with duty free stuff. They will go out of their way to get what you need.

Breakfasts must go for are Rahiti (in the middle of the village) Ben and Tosca make the best al fresco breakfasts ever. There is a nice supermarket in that corner of the village, don't know what it is called.

All in all it’s a great holiday place and I would thoroughly recommend it. See you soon Koutoulafari!

• Travel date: Fri 12th of October 2007

I booked a ten day holiday for myself an...

Reviewed Wed 18th of July 2007

"I booked a ten day holiday for myself and my son in a one bedroomed apartment after looking online independently for a hotel that was close enough to the town, but away from the noise and madness of the main resort of Hersonissos.

On arrival at Marni we were allocated an apartment next to the smaller swimming pool which I was disappointed with initially as I had requested quite adamantly that I would like an apartment with a balcony and we had an apartment with a terrace instead. However, management were very helpful and did offer us an apartment with a balcony a couple of days into the holiday, which we did not accept as it was right next to the road.

As regards to the overall service of this complex, I must say that I was very happy with the service, bar one major downfall. I was very disappointed with there being no children's club/facilities or child minding facilities, yet on the website it does state that there are facilities for children. When I asked about the facilities I was told that the woman that did the facilities for the children was no longer there and there was no one else. I went on holiday with my son who is 11 years old and my friend and her son who had the apartment next door who was 10 years old. We were hoping to have at least one night where we could arrange to go out just the two of us and leave the boys in the capable hands of a trusted child minder/children's activity club.....but it wasn't meant to be unfortunately.

Having said that, the staff were very friendly, helpful and professional and the maid service was exceptional (apartments serviced every other day!!). Also the staff were very knowledgeable about tours that the local companies offered and they offered us many discounts on these. Can't forget to mention the lovely lady down by the small pool bar who works in Koutouloufari village in the evenings as well.......really friendly and a good laugh.

The accommodation was adequate for our needs. The beds can be hard for some people, but you have to accept that the apartments are traditional and are made as such (built off the floor). There were plenty of ants in our apartment (from the garden area), but that was soon seen to by the maid who was very helpful. There was a little table and chairs outside with an outside light which was very nice to eat at in the mornings and in the evenings. I loved the shutters on the bedroom windows.....something I do need as I can't sleep when there is light!!

There are two arranged entertainment evenings....one on a Thursday which is the bbq with traditional Cretan music and dancers who get everyone involved for only 15 euros per adult and 7.50 euros per child. There also is a karaoke night every Sunday (which we forgot!!).

The villages of Koutouloufari, Piskopiano and Old Hersonissos are amazingly beautiful. We loved just wandering through them, walking up and down little alleyways, looking in the giftshops and bakeries, etc. The one thing that was very off putting though were the idiotic tourists on mopeds and quad bikes. There are no pavements, so if you are with small children, do be careful. Restaurants I would recommend are: Galinis (very friendly staff and great themed togas!!...but can be a bit pricey), Rusticos (lovely place to have a meal under a shady olive tree), Fabricos (excellent chocolate crepes) and plenty of others that I've forgotten the names of. Also cannot forget to mention the restaurant in Old Hersonissos (called Myrthos?) where the staff are again very friendly and every Monday evening there is traditional music and dancing in the old square where everyone is invited.

Places that we visited which I would class as highlights of our holiday would be: Palace of Knossos, Agios Nikolas, Gortyn, Matala beach and caves, Kommos beach (near Matala) and of course, the traditional villages up in the hills away from Hersonissos already mentioned.

One last gripe I have and it's to do with Star Beach water park down in Hersonissos. The place itself is wonderful.....go karts, crazy golf, water sports, water slides, beach, shops, etc......one major drawback. The selfish, idiotic, mindless (and usually German) 18-30 men (louts). My friend and I and our sons tried to go round the lazy river but they seemed to take great pleasure in trying to spoil our pleasure in going round. They shoved us, (my friend is disabled as well), splashed us and tried dunking the kids under the water pretty unsuccessfully as by this time, both my friend and I had really lost our tempers with them. There was no need for such stupid behaviour but bearing in mind that they had probably been drinking most of the day (they all just stand or float by the pool bar which is in the lazy river) and were allowed their bottles of beer in the river, its no wonder really!! Again, if you have children, be careful!!

In conclusion, we enjoyed our holiday very much and do hope to return next May, but most probably this time we will be heading for the less touristy areas of the south coast and the 'real' traditional Crete. If I was going to return to the same area of Hersonissos, my advice is try one of the traditional villages............or even Marni Village. I would go back again!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of July 2007

Just returned from a week of bliss at M...

Reviewed Wed 20th of June 2007

" Just returned from a week of bliss at Marni Village. It was heaven. Immaculately clean apartment, pools (3) and grounds, gardens were beautiful, staff couldn't have been more helpful, pool bar served good basic food and very reasonably priced.

A short 5 minute stroll however brought the village of Koutouloufari. It was gorgeous. Again very clean. All the bars and restaurants were first class, sympathetically restored and maintained. We didn’t have a bad meal or feel over charged for anything.

There are no cash machines in village so a short taxi ride, 6 euros from reception, to Hersonissos provided this amenity and many more, although we went straight back to the peace and tranquillity of the village ASAP.

I really couldn’t fault anything about this holiday. However if you have mobility problems request an apartment nearer the road or reception as the walk can be quite steep to some of the accommodation.

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

A great place to stay!

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"We stayed at Marni Village for one week and it exceeded all our expectations. The accommodation was attractively designed, large and clean - we stayed in a 'junior suite' which was a perfect size for two, well-furnished and a very reasonable price. The Village is located on a hill and we had wonderful balcony views down the hill and out across the sea. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The main pool had a lively bar but the Village was still very peaceful and relaxing. The gardens are pretty and well-tended. It's less than a 5-minute walk to Koutouloufaris village which has lots of great places to eat and plenty of small shops. We'd thoroughly recommend Marni Village to anyone - whether they be families or couples - looking for a relaxing place to stay in lovely surroundings. Book and have a wonderful time!"

• Travel date: Sat 9th of June 2007

could not have been better!!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"all i can say is Fantastic!

the apartments are basic but clean, The people are just superb they can not do enough for you. The view of the mountains and the sea is superb, and the village setting is lovely with superb Tavernas and bars.

can not fault it, superb"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of June 2007

Excellent!!!

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Excellent apartments. Although accomodation basic, all you do is sleep in them! Have been to Marni twice and we are planning to go again this year. We found staff could not have been friendlier! Very helpful and apartments CLEANED every couple of days. Resort lovely with everything you need without tatty shops and rowdy teenagers! Would, and have recommended to many!"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of January 2007

Have to help yourself

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I would not recommend Marni Village unless you are willing to do everything yourself. We had a two bedroom apartment and it was very spacious and clean when we arrived. However, the cleaning staff did not do any cleaning other than rearrange things. Do not expect any kind of service from the reception staff. They refused to help us ring the taxi transfer company to confirm our reservation and got very heated when asked why they wouldn't. The best part of our stay was the pool next to our apartment. Also you need to pay extra for air-conditioning, use of the tennis court and rackets and bring your own dish washing liquid and sponge!"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

Fun for the Family

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"We were a party of 6, comprising two OAP's, our teacher son, our daughter-in-law and two grandsons aged 9 and 10. We all enjoyed the holday in no small measure due to the quality of the apartments and the site itself. The apartments were well equipped, spacious and the view from the balcony was exceptional. Although there were many chalets, clever landscaping and layout gave us the impression of privacy and we were rarely bothered by noise from other guests. The grounds are well cared for and clean. There is ample car parking on site for hire cars although the random parking of quad bikes can be a problem. The management was excellent, attending to a faulty sink plug within thirty minutes. The maid service was unbelievable as it seemed that our linen was changed nearly every day. The boys revelled in the close proximity of the swimming pool which they used nearly every day. The village of Kotoulafari was just up the road with a good mix of tavernas and shops to suit most tastes. A word of warning, if you are hiring a car, the village centre is closed to vehicular traffic from 7 pm to 11 .30. If you are caught on the wrong side during these hours it can necessitate a lengthy detour unless you can sweet talk the policeman on duty."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

Hotels near Marni Village

Stayed at Marni Village? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Marni Village

• Louc by Louc

"Excellent standard, great for families "

Marni Village is also called