We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Hersonissos Maris Hotel and Suites

Limin Hersonissos, P.O. Box 38, Hersonissos, Crete 700 14 Greece

A great hotel in Hersonissos

"I stayed for a week in Hersonissos Maris. It is located at a beautiful beach and has nice outdoor pools as well.
It was one of the best hotel I ever been."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of August 2006

Hersonissos Maris - Excellent Value Family Hotel

"Hi,

I have just returned from Hersonissos with my girlfriend. The trip started badly - Typical Thomas Cook flights! I booked the hotel sepratley through last minute. We arrived at the Hersonissos Palace. I had read the reports on here about it and wasnt looking forward to it! As we arrived the reception told me we dont have your booking - and we have no rooms in the hotel, then they wheeled us off to their neighbour hotel which is probably a 2/3 star hotel - really crap. The rooms was horrible but clean. We told them that this was not acceptable and wanted to see the manager. It was 7am- after 12 hours of traveling and delays, I needed sleep, so we awoke 3 hours later at 10am when the manager was there. Thankfully after an easy conversation he said we have another hotel just outside the centre, i ts very nice. So they drove us over there and I couldnt believe my luck. The Hersonissos Maris is about 12 min walk out of the centre on a nice quiet road with a quiet beach. This hotel is beautiful. Dont get me wrong its not a 5 star deluxe but it is much better than Hersonissos Palace and since it is considerably cheaper than the Creta Maris- it is great value.

The hotel has 2 pools at the front, buffet half board was excellent, apart from the odd cat running around. The hotel has lots of Italians, some Russians and plenty of Germans, but to be honest full of families which is great, no loud badly behaved English Oikes here! Our room was excellent, very clean - beautiful balcony overlooking the swimming pool and Sea views. The barman, conceirge and receptionist all became friends and were genuine people. Half board in mid july cost me £406 for 2 of us in total. Now for that kind of money and eat as much as you can - believe me it is great value. I will tell you another thing, someone else wrote that the food wasnt good. well they prepared lots of different food every day (apart from brekfast which was continetal and german every Day but good) and quite a lot of Italian food, including Fruitti De Mare - the chef cooked it in front of us - Italians dont eat Italian food if it is not cooked the way they liked it and they had no problems with it.

As I said this is not the best hotel in Crete but location is nice and quiet but close to the centre, village layout of the hotel is beautiful, staff were good, food was good, rooms were nicely done. Remember if you want 5 star rooms then you have to pay £1000+ for 2 people for 1 week so dont complain if you are paying £400-500 for this. I saw round all the hotels in the centre to see what they were like and I tell you if you pay £300 for most hotels then you know it is not going to be very good. The town itself is ok, 2 main streets - 1 the main road with shops and 2 the sea side club/ bar/ restaurant street which is ok but more of interest to those under 35 years old."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of July 2005

Great Location...Lousy Food

"We are two couples who stayed at this hotel the second week of July 2004 and after arriving late at night were told that our requested adjoining rooms were not available, (although I had repeatedly requested this via e-mails for months in advance).
To our suprise we were given a maisonette which consisted of an upper bedroom and washroom with balcony over a bedroom/livingroom kitchen main floor set up. It was one of 12 such suites in a hotel of around 400 rooms. It even had its own personal pool and patio area.
The hotel is located on the ocean within a 15 minute walk along the ocean front road to Hersonissos town which in itself is a run-down tourist trap consisting of souvenir shops, identical restaurants with identical menus, jewellery shops and most annoying of all, loud bars with staff members hassling you to come in for over-priced drinks.
OK..back to the hotel. It has its own beach with a series of little coves offering loungers and umbrella rentals. Very pretty. A couple of car rental loctions next door as well as a restaurant and market/souvenir shop.
The hotel has a very nice lunch restaurant on the beach with very good food which is in complete contrast to the hashed over buffet offered for breakfast and dinner. The food consisted of under-heated and over-cooked meats and veggies.
We preferred the hard boiled eggs, toast, yogurt, sliced ham, cheese and strong coffee which we were served for breakfast the previous two weeks at most of the hotels on our trip through the Cycladic Islands.
Tip: rent a car and head up to the three small villages in the foothills just south of the hotel. There you will find lovely little restaurants, some no more than tavernas or ouzerias, others are more Continental and $$$.
If you travel right up into the mountains no more than 20 minutes further you will find two tavernas run by families, who will give you the best meal of your trip.
As I said, great location and facilities but crumby food."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of December 2004

good hotel

Good

"Friendly staff. great that we were upgraded from a standard room. food good, although repetitive-would have been great to have beans/tomatoes/toast in mornings. good to have fridge in room, but big thing lacking is tea/coffee making facilities-this would have made a big difference.spotlessly clean. great not to have to fight for sunbeds.15 min walk into town. do NOT use Globe rental cars, as we booked a hire car 3 days in advance + paid a deposit. went to collect car + he told us a cock- and -bull sob story about how someone had had an accident. in reality, he had 'sold' our car to someone else for a better price! we got our deposit back, but then had to find another car from somewhere else. glad we were on half board, as we found prices very expensive. beer not too bad, 3.5 euro at hotel + could get a large beer at some places for 2 euros, but spirits very weak + expensive. Also, bottle of vodka up to 21 euros in supermarkets.No other english people in hotel, mostly French.Strangely, we received a 'welcome pack'of a basket of fruit +bottle of wine + bottle of water in our room 1 hour before we checked out, which we obviously couldn't use!"

• Travel date: Fri 19th of August 2011

Hotels near Hersonissos Maris Hotel and Suites

Stayed at Hersonissos Maris Hotel and Suites? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hersonissos Maris Hotel and Suites

• honeymoon couple by honeymoon couple

"tea + coffee making facilities in rooms. "

Hersonissos Maris Hotel and Suites is also called