Creta Maris Beach Resort

Port of Hersonissos Hersonissos, Hersonissos, Crete 700 14 Greece

This is by no means a 5 star hotel

Reviewed Mon 27th of July 2009

"We checked in today into this hotel, which was marketed to us a 5 star exclusive de-luxe hotel, and it turned out to be at most, a 2 star run down resort at most. We booked a regular room, but when we got here, we were “upgraded” to a bungalow, a few hundred meters away from the main building (mind you, its mid summer in one of the hottest countries in europe) , the so called bungalow, turned out to be an austere room, more fit for a convent that a “luxury convention center”. Ill try to post a few pictures online so you can see the difference between the advertised in the hotel’s website and reality. After protesting politely with the reception we were offered the regular room, which turned out to be as bad as the bungalow, but with a refurbished bathroom. still a suffocating room with really bad maintenance, by all means it cannot be regarded as a 5 star hotel room, more like a single star 2 stars at most (and I am being generous). After protesting again we were offered a different bungalow, closer to the building. This time it was the same poor setup, but with the benefit of the room be filled with cigarette stench and with broken tiles in the dirty looking bathroom, once again, unacceptable. We complained again with reception and opted for the regular room.
They promised to move us to a better room tomorrow. Let’s see what happens, I am skeptic. The whole resort I quite rundown, and while boasting the pictures of a few renovated room, the majority of the hotel is so disappointing that we are thinking of moving to a B&B somewhere around, even though we paid for the hotel already. Just to avoid the feeling that we where cheated, and had our holiday ruined by our travel agent and the hotel that presented itself as an exclusive resort and turned out to be, well, much less than that to say the least.
Ill keep you posted on every development, lets hope somehow the creta maris people help salvage our vacation, as it looks right now, there is no way ill be back in this hotel, or in any of the mares chain hotel ever again.
Now it’s in their hands, in any case, ill keep reporting, and warning. Needless to say, we already changed our travel agent, anyone recommending this resort under this conditions makes a very poor service to his clients.
One final note, for an upgrade to a better room creta maris wanted us to add from 75 to 143 Euros a day, on top of the 200 euro list price of a double room per night, if anyone pays 200 euro per day for a room like we have now, he is paying roughly 200 Euros too much.
We still hope our vacation is not completely ruined, well keep you posted, as we will with any website reviewing this hotel.
Cheers,
Martine and Daniel

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of July 2009

beautiful hotel fantastic location near...

Reviewed Fri 13th of June 2008

"beautiful hotel fantastic location near a harbour and some tavernas and shops, swimming pools lovely bungalow pool suited us best as quiet and shallower for younger kids. food was outstanding - could not find anything to dislike or critisize. they looked after us and even got food out for my special needs son who only eats ham at every meal. everybody was friendly the building was beautiful. plenty of sunloungers on beach for free and around swimming pools lovely beach for kids, although a bit difficult getting into sea with the rocks"

• Travel date: Fri 13th of June 2008

Israel, Aaron & Helga Roseman Date: 18-2...

Reviewed Thu 24th of April 2008

"Israel, Aaron & Helga Roseman
Date: 18-22 April, 2008

Creta Maris truly a 5* deluxe hotel. We arrived at 23:00 and reception asked us if we would like dinner in one of their outdoor restaurant Pithos, this is the first time such a gesture was afforded to us and a good start to our holiday. We stayed in the main building not in the bungalows and had a fantastic spacious room with balcony, very clean, equipped with all necessary comforts, red/white wine, water, coffee/tea and a complimentary Creta Maris beach bag. The hotel and complex very clean and architecture and facilities luxurious. An extensive buffet morning and evening in main dining room to suit all taste buds . The Cochlias restaurant overlooking the sea very romantic, most enjoyable Greek evening with delicious food and show and discount for guests. A romantic bar disco evening with music from 60s – 80s with participation of the Guest Relations staff or just relaxing in the bar with piano music overlooking the crystal blue sea are just one of the amenities. The Spa centre was not expensive, 15 Euro for the whole day for jacuzzi/sauna/ heated indoor pool and we were also able to enjoy the sun and outdoor pool overlooking the beach. We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and staff very friendly and helpful, we were always greeted with a smile and hello. The gardens are beautiful and one can relax on comfortable loungers in the shade and enjoy a drink. A 5 minute walk brings you to Hersonissos with cafes on the sea front and plenty of shops. Definitely recommend Creta Maris an experience you won't forget.

• Travel date: Thu 24th of April 2008

I can say that this is the best holiday...

Reviewed Sat 5th of January 2008

"I can say that this is the best holiday we have had! The hotel was fantastic and the staff were very friendly. I am planning on going back again soon. Children are catered for very well and there are plenty of things for children to do. The facilities are also very good including the fully equipped gym for those that enjoy exercising. Also included in the price are massage and hair salon.

There is also a great variety of food in the restaurant which caters for all appetites and tastes.

I would and have recommended this hotel as there was not one thing that I can be negative about.

It is great value for money.

• Travel date: Sat 5th of January 2008

We were in a bungalow just off from the...

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2007

"We were in a bungalow just off from the main hotel. The hotel staff were extremely warm and friendly. The hotel was excellent, what you would expect from a 5 star establishment.

The main pool I would say however would not be ideal for young children, as no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find a shallow end. There were just ridges around the edges of the pool where you could put your feet on.

The bungalow pool was quieter and was shallow.

The food was very good with different restaurants within the hotel complex to try, with theme nights as well.

The entertainment staff were second to none, and kept both children and adults entertained with kids club, kid’s discos, themed evening nights in the hotel's nightclub, karaoke, and quiz night - something different on every night of the week.

I went with my mother and my 8 year old son and we had a fantastic time and would recommend the Creta Maris to anyone.

But a word of warning the older teenager might not enjoy it, as much at night as there isn't anything really for them to do."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of November 2007

This is an absolutely fantastic holiday....

Reviewed Sun 17th of June 2007

"This is an absolutely fantastic holiday. There are fantastic restaurants within the hotel, that are included in the all inclusive deal.

The staff are extremely friendly and cannot do enough to help. There is room service throughout the night that is also in with the price and a mini bar that’s restocked daily.

I cannot praise this hotel enough to do it justice."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of June 2007

My husband and I stayed at this luxuriou...

Reviewed Sun 12th of February 2006

"My husband and I stayed at this luxurious hotel and couldn’t find a fault with it. The transfer was 40 mins from the airport went with select and had a private taxis well worth it.

On arrival we taken to a bungalow that was amazing maids came and cleaned and changed the beds daily unbelievable. We arrived in the middle of the night and called reception to request more pillows for the next day within 5 mins they were at the bungalow with the pillows excellent service.

The selection of food was out of this world, the restaurant staff were brilliant nothing was too much trouble. My husband just happened to comment one day that he preferred his bacon cooked a little more after that every morning the waitress brought it out to him fresh from the kitchen we didn’t even have to ask.

The indoor pool was spotlessly clean and all facilities were brilliant all beach towels were provided daily. The hotel itself was in beautiful settings. We would definitely return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of February 2006

I went here with my girlfriend on 6th Ju...

Good
Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"I went here with my girlfriend on 6th June for 2 weeks, staying half board.

As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were very impressed by the reception area, very spacious and grand with lots of glass and marble. The porter took our cases for us and did not seem to expect a tip which was very nice. The safe deposit box in out room was free, although it was a key lock rather than a pin code operation, meaning you always have to take the key around with you.

The room was as we expected, we did not pay the extra for a sea view, and our view was reasonable, consisting of some big hills. When you walk onto the balcony you can clearly see your neighbours if they too are on their balcony. The air conditioning was very effective. The TV channel choice was very limited, but you get euro news and CNN as English speaking channels, the rest are foreign. The bathroom was nice and the maid service was very efficient. Don’t worry about it if you lose a towel at pool, just tell reception and they send replacements free of charge.

We had mixed feelings about the hotel food. They were very generous and you could honestly eat as much as you wanted, but everything had that 'foreign taste’. At breakfast I did not enjoy any egg, bacon or sausage in the hotel and stuck to serial, cheese & cucumber cobs, fruit and toast. At dinner you could eat as much meat as you liked, sometimes this was really nice, other times it was a bit fatty, and too much veal for my liking. My girlfriend often struggled to find anything ‘normal tasting’ despite the massive selection of things, you have to pay for all you drink at lunch / dinner. A bottle of sprite was 2.30 euros. We were half board and opted to eat in the hotel at lunch rather than in the evening as we much preferred the food in the sea-side restaurants and tavernas at night.

The location of the hotel was fantastic, with some excellent sea views. The pool area was large and lead down to the beach, which is part of the hotel. All the beds and lounger are free and towels provided for hotel guests. The hotel area of the beach stretches a long way, past some rocks and you really should explore early on in your stay. The beach is good for a foreign beach, but be careful of the rocks in the sea, and the sea urchins.

The animation team are really good, encouraging people to join in water polo, beach volley ball and various other games, but they are not compulsory. All the entertainment is in English by Greek staff who are very friendly.

There is a real mix of nationalities at the hotel. We were slightly disappointed with this at first as we asked to go to a hotel/resort with lots of English people. But as we found out the other nationalities were a real mix and not all German, we quite got to like it.

I was very disappointed by the additional charge for using the gym, they wanted 15 euros per session, or you can pay something like 45 euros for a week. I expected the gym use to be included. All the sauna, spa, Turkish bath etc is quite expensive. And if you want 6 tennis lessons its 170 euros for 1 person !! I’ve stayed in cheaper hotels were the use of the gym has been free, using the sauna, spa & bath was free and you get a free tennis lesson (then they were about 12 euros thereafter), .... this was probably the most disappointing aspect of the hotel.

The romantic bar in the hotel was very nice, with great views over the pool and sea. My girlfriend really enjoyed the champagne cocktails which came with a cherry in them

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

Hotels near Creta Maris Beach Resort

Stayed at Creta Maris Beach Resort? Share your insight.