Creta Maris Beach Resort

Hersonissos, Crete 700 14 Greece

Great Stay!

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Creta Maris as a member of a tour group from April 26 to May 1, 2007. Our room overlooked the sea. The site was fabulous as were all aspects of the service. The hotel is right on the beach with both indoor (salt water) and outdoor pool, for those who didn't want to brave the cool Cretan Sea. Meals are varied, attractively presented and tasty. At all meals an excellent buffet is served and at dinner there is also an a la carte menu.

There are many amenities as part of the complex, including shops, a spa, billiards and even ten pin bowling!

The hotel is within easy walking distance of the town, which provides ample shopping.

The rooms were comfortable and very well equipped, although they would benefit from upgrading of the decorating. Other than that, it was a wonderful place to stay!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of May 2007

Good choice for family vacation

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"The beach is great, the water is clear and almost without waves, great for the children!
The service is generally good, the food is OK, not bad, although it can be better.
The pool is OK, although no place and facilities for infants and chidlren.
The bungalow is nice, much better choice than rooms in main buildings.
Generally good choice for family vacation."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2007

Great Hotel

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We booked for October half term and were very pleased with the hotel and facilities. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I have to thank the kids clubs staff and beach equipment guys for being so kind to my young pesky son. The food was good better at breakfast than dinner but no complaints. The only surprise was the temp of the outdoor pool it was freezing and underused because of this. You would have to be very hardy with a strong heart to dive in! Not many british people in the hotel mainly germans and french but all very nice. Lovely beach, town is quiet in october but we like quiet, we would def use this hotel again."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of February 2007

Creta Maris 01/09/2006 - 08/09/2006

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Creta Maris from the 1st of September till the 8th of September. The hotel was very, very nice. We got an upgrade from a normal room to a bungalow. Very nice rooms, the only thing was that is was a room for smokers so there was a constant smell of cigarettes although we are non-smokers. The hotel was very, very clean thanks to an army of cleaners who were cleaning from morning till evening. The food was also very nice, the buffet changed daily, and there is always a choice of 3 main dishes wich are served at your table but you can also choose to go to the buffet as many times as you want. The hotel has 3 other restaurants and you are allowed to go to one of these for free once a week. We chose Pithos because it serves typical Cretan food and it is one of the few restaurants that has a label because it serves "Cretan diet", it was really nice but the quantity of food was very big, we had young cock, I think we had a cock each. The staff was very friendly except the ones at the pool bar at the small swiming pool. The first couple of days it was a male, he wasn't too friendly but at least the meals he prepared were nice. The last couple of days it was a women, she had that attitude of: don't you dare to disturb me, you bloody tourists, and the meals she prepared seemed like they were thrown on the plate from a distance. We rented a car for 4 days (125€) very handy and cheap considered that a return ticket by bus to Heraklion costs 5€. But be aware that the Cretan people are mad drivers and that the road sings are very bad. This was the very first time we went to Crete and we will certainly go back and stay at the same hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

We'll be back next year!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed there from August 27 untill September 3th, stayed in a very nice bungalow It was really excellent! The buffets are really big, you've got plenty to take and a lot to choose from. Also much variety in the food. There are many theme evenings in the other restaurants like a greek night, a barbeque with live music, dance evenings... In the disco we had a music quiz, karaoke, 50's and 60's party... The staff was friendly. There was plenty room on the beach and at the swimmingpool. After a walk of 5 minutes you are in the centre of Hrsonissos with a lot of shops, restaurants and bars. I can recommend this hotel to everybody!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

The unfriendliest staff I have ever seen anywhere

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"This June, I took my girlfriend with me on a medical conference to Creta Maris. I had noticed that reviewers were not reacting positively toward this hotel, but I thought that I should book this hotel because of the conference which was on the joint sister hotel, Terra Maris.
Creta Maris is a mixture of different experiences. It has definitely the facilities of a five star hotel and the dress-code but when it comes to the staff it has been my worst experience.
Some examples of the problems are that the staff:
Did not answer phones from the rooms,
Did not provide me with information regarding the conference location when I asked for their help
Did not wake me up on time when I ordered wake-up call!
Did not smile,
Usually did not say hi,
Brought the check before you had finished eating your food and before you asked for it,
Etc… the list is long.
On the bright side, it has a very good beach, warm in-door pool and rooms with ocean view are recommended.
The rooms are very average and are more the level of a three-four star hotel and absolutely not five star.
The breakfast was below average. For instance barely any fresh fruit except for apples when cherries melon and so on where in season outside the hotel.
In summary on a scale of 1-10:
Beach and pool: +8,
Breakfast: +1,
Room: +4
Staff: minus 10 (-10).
I would not recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

My husband and I stayed at this luxuriou...

Reviewed Sun 12th of February 2006

"My husband and I stayed at this luxurious hotel and couldn’t find a fault with it. The transfer was 40 mins from the airport went with select and had a private taxis well worth it.

On arrival we taken to a bungalow that was amazing maids came and cleaned and changed the beds daily unbelievable. We arrived in the middle of the night and called reception to request more pillows for the next day within 5 mins they were at the bungalow with the pillows excellent service.

The selection of food was out of this world, the restaurant staff were brilliant nothing was too much trouble. My husband just happened to comment one day that he preferred his bacon cooked a little more after that every morning the waitress brought it out to him fresh from the kitchen we didn’t even have to ask.

The indoor pool was spotlessly clean and all facilities were brilliant all beach towels were provided daily. The hotel itself was in beautiful settings. We would definitely return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of February 2006

I went here with my girlfriend on 6th Ju...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"I went here with my girlfriend on 6th June for 2 weeks, staying half board.

As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were very impressed by the reception area, very spacious and grand with lots of glass and marble. The porter took our cases for us and did not seem to expect a tip which was very nice. The safe deposit box in out room was free, although it was a key lock rather than a pin code operation, meaning you always have to take the key around with you.

The room was as we expected, we did not pay the extra for a sea view, and our view was reasonable, consisting of some big hills. When you walk onto the balcony you can clearly see your neighbours if they too are on their balcony. The air conditioning was very effective. The TV channel choice was very limited, but you get euro news and CNN as English speaking channels, the rest are foreign. The bathroom was nice and the maid service was very efficient. Don’t worry about it if you lose a towel at pool, just tell reception and they send replacements free of charge.

We had mixed feelings about the hotel food. They were very generous and you could honestly eat as much as you wanted, but everything had that 'foreign taste’. At breakfast I did not enjoy any egg, bacon or sausage in the hotel and stuck to serial, cheese & cucumber cobs, fruit and toast. At dinner you could eat as much meat as you liked, sometimes this was really nice, other times it was a bit fatty, and too much veal for my liking. My girlfriend often struggled to find anything ‘normal tasting’ despite the massive selection of things, you have to pay for all you drink at lunch / dinner. A bottle of sprite was 2.30 euros. We were half board and opted to eat in the hotel at lunch rather than in the evening as we much preferred the food in the sea-side restaurants and tavernas at night.

The location of the hotel was fantastic, with some excellent sea views. The pool area was large and lead down to the beach, which is part of the hotel. All the beds and lounger are free and towels provided for hotel guests. The hotel area of the beach stretches a long way, past some rocks and you really should explore early on in your stay. The beach is good for a foreign beach, but be careful of the rocks in the sea, and the sea urchins.

The animation team are really good, encouraging people to join in water polo, beach volley ball and various other games, but they are not compulsory. All the entertainment is in English by Greek staff who are very friendly.

There is a real mix of nationalities at the hotel. We were slightly disappointed with this at first as we asked to go to a hotel/resort with lots of English people. But as we found out the other nationalities were a real mix and not all German, we quite got to like it.

I was very disappointed by the additional charge for using the gym, they wanted 15 euros per session, or you can pay something like 45 euros for a week. I expected the gym use to be included. All the sauna, spa, Turkish bath etc is quite expensive. And if you want 6 tennis lessons its 170 euros for 1 person !! I’ve stayed in cheaper hotels were the use of the gym has been free, using the sauna, spa & bath was free and you get a free tennis lesson (then they were about 12 euros thereafter), .... this was probably the most disappointing aspect of the hotel.

The romantic bar in the hotel was very nice, with great views over the pool and sea. My girlfriend really enjoyed the champagne cocktails which came with a cherry in them

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

Hotels near Creta Maris Beach Resort

Stayed at Creta Maris Beach Resort? Share your insight.