brilliant

Reviewed Thu 20th of June 2013

"just got back stayed here for 2 weeks very clean place staff very helpful maids came in every day was disappointed with vodka and brandy not being on all inclusive food was good not many English there but that's not a problem will go back children entertainment very good"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of June 2013

avoid at all costs

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2010

"after a much needed and long awaited holiday it was ruined at this hotel never again, avoid at all costs unless you are fluent in German no offence but we were the only English until end of wk and they didn't like it either. food was terrible, we were all inclusive but ate out most of time, all kids entertainment was in German no other entertainment for adults if we were told before hand we wouldn't have gone, there is nothing to do the beach belongs to hotel next door so you have to pay for sunbeds etc a completely ruined holiday only good thing to say is hotel is clean, i will never attempt Crete again."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2010

When we arrived at the hotel there was a...

Reviewed Wed 3rd of September 2008

"When we arrived at the hotel there was a situation of overbooking and they said it is a normal situation. We've booked the rooms in May. The employees are poorly educated and rather rude. The beach is all occupied by the hotel next door, Nana beach, which, by the way, is an excelent hotel. The cleaning of the room is terrible, the bath towels, were exchanged every 3 days and the the bedroom floor has never been cleaned. The food was ok but poor. The entertainment was awful... only for german. If you go to Crete choose another hotel. This was the worst hotel I've ever been.
Definitely I will never go to arminda Hotel again. it was a bad choice."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of September 2008

staff very pleasant,expected great 14nig...

Reviewed Mon 28th of July 2008

"staff very pleasant,expected great 14night a/i.First charge for towels for sunbed.Down to the beach,4euros each for a sunbed+if you want a sunshade as well an extra 5euros! Local wine ,beer and spirits obtainable only. if you drink rum or whisky its 4euros-50 each! No adult entertainment at all.Plus beds changed twice a week,towels every 3days.Food most certainly would suit our german friends more than us.I work really hard in the nursing profession,really look forward to my 2weeks of 4*treatment what a let down!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of July 2008

on arrival made very welcome,shown to ou...

Reviewed Sun 27th of July 2008

"on arrival made very welcome,shown to our room by Nickolas who was very polite.We booked 4* to be told we had to pay for towels for sunbeds? If we chose to go to the beach it cost 4euros per sunbed,plus 5euros for a sunshade,Hello,all-inclusive!Next,on holiday i only drink rum and coke, yes that was available at 4euro50,only alcoholic drinks available were,wine,local,brandy,local,ouso,local,raki local and beer local! Very disappointed to discover,beds changed twice a week and towels every 3days! i do not call this 4*.i personally cannot eat fat or wheat,but if you missed breakfast all that was available was from 10am-12-30 pastries or white bread buns,cheese and ham every day for two weeks! the food would be well suited to our german friends,adult entertainment was nil.needless to say we will not be returning,though we would like to pass on our regards to the staff who were always polite and pleasant.Please clean the top pool as the edge is really grimy."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of July 2008

Just got back from a week all inclusive...

Reviewed Wed 3rd of October 2007

"Just got back from a week all inclusive at Arminda hotel, must say some of the reviews had me panicking. First off, this resort caters mainly for Russians and Germans, so if you want a Benidorm style resort, don't go. That said, everyone we met were polite and freindly enough, the staff at the Arminda are very good, rooms are nice, pool areas clean and lots of choice in restaurant (continental style).

Just a 3 minute stroll to a pleasant beach, and a 10 min walk to Stalis, which is lovely, no yobs etc. Overall I liked it here, it has a nice atmosphere, always feel safe and you have lots of little hidden places nearby to find. Just be aware, it is not for loud entertainment, only have a kiddies disco, and that is in German. There are nearby resorts you can use for evening entertainment, and a bus stop right outside to take you anywhere you want for about 1.5 euros."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of October 2007

I just couldn't hold myself from adding...

Reviewed Mon 1st of October 2007

"I just couldn't hold myself from adding some words after reading some of comments down here! We with my wife and 2 kids just returned from one-week holiday at Arminda and were very satisfied with the hotel and people there.

It's true that there are many Germans staying at the hotel but isn't getting other language-environment around you one part of your holiday abroad (by the way, I'm neither English nor German speaking)? We went to the show in neighboring resort Nana Beach just around the corner (free entrance also for Arminda guests) the first evening and that was enough for us. We tried the free tennis court at Arminda instead.

The hotel was totally OK, very well located and easy to access for those driving around the island. The city centre was in walking distance, but remote enough not to disturb. Staff at the hotel was very friendly and easy-going with kids and we didn't encounter any problems with their English-skills. Our two-room apartment was in the old building with the pool/sea-view. Nothing very special, but spacious and definitely clean. Shower corner could have been a little bit bigger but luckily none of us has any size issues.

People have complained here about the food. I have the walking "food-meter" with me every time I travel with my kids - my 9 yr old son is extremely picky with what he puts in his mouth. He found something to his plate every morning and evening (we missed most of lunches as we were out)! There were always different selections of fish and meat, accompanied by various vegetable side dishes (grilled feta-cheese is also worth mentioning). 13 choices of soft drinks did the trick to children, beer and white wine were more or less OK, even though the rest of local alcohol selection was... well, the matter of taste. So if your aim was to get drunk by the afternoon, then I can understand the frustration.

So, to put it short - I would definitely recommend Arminda to those seeking for convenient and peaceful place for their sunny holiday!

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2007

Ignore previous comments this place was...

Reviewed Sun 8th of July 2007

"Ignore previous comments this place was fantastic!

After reading some of the previous comments after we'd booked but just before we'd departed we were a little worried. We couldn't have been more wrong. This hotel was brilliant and would definitely recommend it for anyone wanting to try a quieter part of Crete but still within distance of more happening if required.

The food was fantastic, so much so clothes were getting tight by the end of two weeks.

The choice of dishes was excellent- breakfast everything from hot eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, too more continental cheeses, cooked meats, and bread etc, Also a good variety of cereals & yoghurt and fruit every morning. Variety of teas, coffee hot chocolate, and fruit juices.

Lunch - there was always a few hot dishes - including a different pasta dish each day as well as a lovely salad bar. Sweets were lovely pudding, lots of ice-cream, mousse, fresh fruits & pastries & cakes.

Dinner - Again lots of choice of hot food, including some really nice vegetable dishes. Always a couple of meat dishes, a fish dish, a pasta dish and something vegetarian.

There was always some lovely Greek food and other European/English dishes as well.

Again the sweets were something else, fresh fruit, gateaux’s, cream cakes, ice cream etc. The snack bar had burgers, pizza, savoury pastries & rolls & Panini’s for you to grill whenever you wanted. The drinks were great -the white & rose wine was fine as was the local beer.

The spirits were fiery and strong. Always a good selection of juices & fizzy drinks at the restaurant ,poolside bar, & snack bar. All was on dispenser to help yourself as much as you wanted. You could buy the usual spirits that you get at home if you wanted.

The nearby beach was lovely- brilliant snorkelling. Short walk to bigger beach & resort was also good for a change. The sports facilities were good. The staff were lovely & more than happy to help. It was lovely & clean. Sheets/towels changed every other day. Apartment cleaned daily."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

We recently went on holiday to Crete, st...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of January 2006

"We recently went on holiday to Crete, staying in Hersonissos, the hotel was lovely on arrival, but, there was no entertainment on in the evening, although it stated there was.

The food was just passable, and they mainly catered for Germans, although it was quite( which is what we wanted) but we eat out most evenings, and we were all inclusive. The resort was fab but the hotel has a thumbs down from us.

There were no games or activities and we only saw 1 rep on 1 day for the whole week, I would not recommend this hotel, and we will not be going back."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of January 2006

My husband and I travelled with two of o...

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2005

"My husband and I travelled with two of our children and two nieces, all in the 16-17 age range. On arrival we were shown to a damp, musty smelling room and told this is what we had booked. If we wanted to upgrade to the newer parts of the hotel building it would be an extra 40 euros per week, per room. I paid 120 euros (3 rooms) for one week and after two days decided that were being ripped off and asked to be moved to the older part which we did – and the rooms were extremely spacious and certainly very clean, but very rustic. Reception gave me 85 euros back without me having to ask for it. Most of the British people were shown the same room before being asked to upgrade – so it must have been kept exactly for this purpose!

The hotel itself was very clean with friendly maids coming in every day to make the beds and mop the floors – but clean towels were not an everyday event. The sea water pools and surrounding areas were kept in a very clean condition. No entertainment at all for adults but if you were German speaking only, there was a children’s club which looked extremely well run.

On an all inclusive basis you would expect the food to be of an extremely high quality – which it was, if you enjoyed the German cuisine, but not for the British palate. Most British personnel ate out on a regular basis - although, if you enjoyed cakes and desserts, then you had plenty choice. There was usually a queue for the one two-slice toaster which was provided for all!

Cheap ouzo, Raki and brandy were the only alcoholic drinks provided free, along with a very bad white and rose wine. The local beer was very bland too. Every other drink had to be bought and it was not cheap. It was cheaper in the local tavernas which were about a 15 minute walk one way and a 25 minute walk the other. Even the children complained about the soft drinks.

Word of warning, if you plan to book a taxi from Reception, allow an extra 5 euros per taxi on top of the price (which they don’t tell you about). We paid 30 euros per taxi from the airport and so I kept 60 euros for the return journey. I ended up paying one of the drivers with some Sterling and the remainder in euros – not what you want at the end of your holiday.

Overall, we won’t be back to that particular hotel.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

My partner and I wanted our first holida...

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2005

"My partner and I wanted our first holiday abroad without our four children to be a little special, she had never been to any of the Greek islands and I wanted her to sample how great they could be.

We both work in the hospitality business and wanted to just have a really "chilled" time being looked after for a change, so a four star "All inclusive" resort sounded just the ticket. We arrived at about 1am and were given the "would you like to upgrade to a sea view room for 40 euros"? we were so tired after the travelling that we declined the offer and were shown to a room which I could only describe as a cell, the beds were like sleeping on a mortuary slab and there was a distinctive damp aroma, the satellite TV consisted of three channels of English speaking programmes and two of these were news programmes! The room was however large and clean.

We missed breakfast the following day because we slept in and so were looking forward to our lunch. What a disappointment, there was quite a lot of choice but all the "hot" food was cold ( although there was a microwave to heat it up with) the salad section took me back to my first holiday abroad when whatever vegetables were on the menu in the evening, ended up in the salad the next day.

The dessert section was not much better the selection being made up of honey soaked sponge, cheap packet mousse and nasty ice cram. I would have thought with the fantastic weather in Greece that the fruit and vegetables would be cheap and plentiful, we were treated to very few mostly apples oranges and grapes, they all looked like they had seen better days! Consequently like a lot of our fellow holidaymakers we ate out most of the time adding considerable cost to our holiday.

The weather while we were there was not the best, but in October you take the rough with the smooth. I did feel very sorry for anyone with children as the pool was freezing, there was no entertainment either day or night for anyone ( except the German kids club) . The drinks were definitely sub standard both soft drinks and alcoholic and certainly not what was expected. All in all we made the most of it and did enjoy Crete, I definitely will not be recommending this hotel to anyone and hope that the powers that be look at some these comments and make adjustments as necessary before their hotel is deserted by Brits and Germans alike.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

We found the Hotel acceptable, it was cl...

Reviewed Thu 1st of January 1970

"We found the Hotel acceptable, it was clean and the rooms were spacious although, as far as views, we had none! Some rooms in the older part of the Hotel, which is where we were located, are similar, we heard numerous complaints about wrongly allocated rooms and witnessed people refusing rooms they had been allocated as, "not what had been booked", this happened to us on arrival when we were told the room we required was not available, they did however offer another room but stated it was only short term unless we paid 42 euros for the upgrade, we didn’t take up the offer and moved rooms two days later, please be aware, we spoke to a few people where this same incident took place.

Four of us were on holiday, all adults, we enjoyed the stay as we do not limit ourselves to the confines of the Hotel just because it is all inclusive.

Holidaymakers at the Hotel were very cosmopolitan with the majority being Deutsche. Entertainment for the, "Deutsche kinder", seemed well organised and was obviously provided through their tour operator, saying this, their is nothing provided by the Hotel in the way of entertainment, their was no apparent entertainment for the younger English children, other than swimming pools.

We had no problems with the Hotel staff and found them all amenable when approached, they always had a smile and there was no apparent favouritism or language barrier.

Food was acceptable, we never went hungry! drinks were somewhat basic and very poor, the wine on offer was just drinkable, how long can you drink ouzo? Raki, you can only drink a thimble full a day, the Metaxa on offer was acceptable but again not great and the beer was bland, all of these being self service, I witnessed people drinking all day and night and still walk in straight line!, you can buy any other drinks from the bar.

Apart from the above we had a great time, there are a few good, friendly local bars all within a couple of hundred meters with reasonably priced drinks, you should make the effort to visit these and support the small local businesses, Stalis is within walking distance, 15 minutes, for shopping and restaurants, Malia is a bus or Taxi drive and Hersonissos is a nice steady coastal walk, about 25 minutes.

From the Hotel, the walk to the beach is over rough ground or you can use the adjacent Nana Beach Hotel grounds to access this lovely area. The beach area appears to belong to the Nana Beach hotel but you can hire the sunbeds and a sun shade for 3 and 5 euros respectively or sit on the sand for nothing, two bays attract swimmers and snorklers.

Summing up, we had a great weeks holiday but that was enough, we would not use the Arminda Hotel again, there are far better all inclusive packages out there."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005