Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Myself and my Fiance stayed at the Albatros Spa and Resort Hotel in Crete for a week on 9th September this year.

I'll start by saying that this hotel in our opinion is by far one of the best value for money hotels we've ever stayed in, and we've stayed in a lot. In fact it's just one of the nicest hotels full stop.

It has an older section and a new section that opened this year. There is a big difference between the two sections, I can tell you this as we stayed in both. the older section is perfectly comfortable and clean, the decor is darker and far more dated, but I would have had no problem in staying in the room for the whole week. We asked to be moved due to the fact that our room had a balcony that opened out onto the road at the front of the Hotel, and we really wanted to have one that opened out onto the swimming pools. I requested this after our first night, but was told there were none available at that time, and to try again tomorrow. I did that, but was again told there were none available that week in that building. It was at this stage I asked about the new building, and was informed that there were a couple of rooms available, but would cost another 20euros per night, I said that wasn't a problem, so we were shown both the rooms and asked if we were happy and wanted to change, which we did immediately and were very pleased we did.

One thing to take into account with the cost is that the old rooms require a 6 euros (I think) per night charge for aircon and a 10 euros for the week (I think) safety deposit box hire. However, the new rooms have no charge for the superb aircon and have a digital safe built into the cupboard at no extra charge. The rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean and very comfortable, with a Flat screen Lcd TV and about 30 channels, but only a couple in English, but who wants to watch TV on Holiday? we just put the music channel on when we were in the room.

The new building is a very stylish and modern building, with fantastic lighting and oozes quality, we booked through Thomson at £350 per person half board and I believe they gave it a 3 1/2 rating, which I can only think was an old rating for the old building, because having stayed at some of the so called 4* and 5* hotel with Thomson and Thomas Cook, this hotel is easily better than most of them.

The Hotel has 2 swimming pools which are cleaned every day and very well maintained, although the water was a bit too cold for my liking. There were plenty of sunbeds and we had no problem getting one whenever we wanted (although we weren't there in peak season). The bar is by the newest pool. The hotel also has the Spa attached to it and can be used at an extra cost for such things as sauna, massage and beauty therapies.

The location is fantastic, a 1 minute walk to the beach, and about a 7 minute casual stroll to the main strip of bars, clubs and restaurants, which is perfect, you can be there if you like, but aren't affected by the noise when you just want to relax. While we were there, the bars and clubs were very empty and quiet, the resort is extremely young and lively up to the 3rd weekend in August, it then changes dramatically to become a much more couples and older peoples resort, which is exactly what we wanted.

Now onto the food. This hotel is booked on a half board basis. The breakfast is very nice, most choices you'd want, Cereals, Fruits, Yogurt, Engish style breakfast, Crepes and more. It's a Buffet style help yourself basis served between 07:30 and 10:00, but with your tea and coffee served to you at your table by the extremely courteous staff. The evening meals were fine, not amazing, but plenty of choices and of a more than acceptable quality, It may become a bit boring if you were there for 2 weeks, but there are always the other resort restaurants. The wine is not included in the half board price and the choices are a bit limited. I DO NOT recommend the House red, it's quite poor, however the Family who own the hotel (The Tamialakis Family I think) also make wine which is available and is very nice indeed (About 14 euros per bottle). The Lovely lady who serves the wine was very knowledgable and polite.

If you really want top quality food however, then you can eat at the Hotels Gourmet Restaurant, which we did one evening, and I have to say, it was fantastic. A 3 course meal for 2 will probably cost about 100 euros with a bottle of wine, so maybe not to be done too often, but if you really don't fancy the look of your Half board buffet, you can consider it.

The beach is very nice and clean, but one thing to consider is that the first 20 metres or so as you walk into the water can be rocky in places, and I would recommend buying the special shoes that the local shops sell for about 10 euros per pair, especially for children.

There wasn't much entertainment laid on, but by the time we got back from the beach, showered and ate, all we wanted was to go for a nice stroll around the resort and have a nice couple of drinks.

We had a fantastic holiday in this resort, which was made one of our most memorable by our stay at this lovely hotel and its fantastic staff. We loved it that much, that we're considering it for our wedding next year. I would like to thank all the staff for making our holiday so chilled adn relaxing, with a special thank you to Miss Nantia for all her amazing help with the possible wedding plans."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of October 2007

We have adored it since returning

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"The hotel was really beautiful. We were stayed in the new building for a week. The staff was very friendly and loved my children. The room was excellent and each day was claened. I can absolutelly recommend it if you want spend a calm holiday."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of October 2007

Dead as a Dodo!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We, a party of 8 adults, recently returned from the Albatros and can't believe we've stayed in the same hotel as previous reviewers - it was awful. On checking in two couples were told that they could change their rooms over the next two days which they did. One of the rooms was at street level and had only half a curtain. We were also miffed to find we had to pay 6 euros per night for the air con, which reception told us was a contract between the hotel and Thomson Holidays. If you are lucky enough, which we weren't, to be given a room in the new extension it is free.
The food is horrible, unappetising, warm if not cold, and the fried eggs at breakfast were still slimy. There is just a very slow, 'two slice' toaster for all to use if you want to make toast. One of us was not feeling too well one evening but thought they'd have some soup but when faced with 'potato' soup lost what little appetite he had left. After this we never bothered with the dining room.
The drinks are quite dear and with only one night's entertainment there was no reason to stay in the hotel so we used to go to the local cafe where Manos, the owner, took great care of us. His food is lovely, very reasonable in price and you get a decent cup of tea or coffee.
None of us would recommend this hotel at all. The new hotel website says it is a 5 star spa resort but we reckon it only just deserves 3 stars."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of October 2007

A fine place

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"I will just echo everything Servite said. The new rooms and new pool are great: the food was just OK. I too appreciated the bathroom!"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of October 2007

shame about the food

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Just back from a great week in the Albatros. This hotel has just been upgraded so ignore any reviews written before june 07 as they refer to the old hotel. We were fortunute to be upgraded to a superior room in the recently complete new part of the hotel. We bookeg with Thomson holidays and most of the other who arrived from the UK at the same time as us were put in the original part of the hotel. Can fault the accomodation the room was well finished and had great view over the pool. Bathroom was the best I have every seen in a greek hotel, no fighting to keep the shower in place. Staff were very friendly and ample sun beds always some free and no one seemed to put towels out early in the morning. The hotel is idealy located near to the beach, the shops and the entertainment area, but far enough away not to be disturbed by the nighlife. The only slightly disapointing aspect of the hotel was the food. We stayed on a half board basis and the breakfast never changed. The evening meal again could have been better, limited choice and some things were not very hot. If you are a puuding fan prepare to be disapointed, same thing every night and very bland. I would however not hesitate to recommend this hotel, but if you can stay on a bed and breakfast basis as Hersonisos has a multituded of nice places to eat and prices to suit all budgets."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of October 2007

Loved This Hotel!!!!!!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I stayed at the Albatros in July for 1 week and loved this hotel so much I am going back in September.

I went with my friend and we both had a great time, there is loads of really nice restaurants near the beach and also night life about a 10min walk away.

I highly recommend this hotel!"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of August 2007

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Albatros!

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"We have just returned from a week's holiday at the Albatros Hotel in Hersonissos. (We being 2 adults and three children - 11, 9 and 6. It really is a very pleasant place to be! They have very recently completed a big extension to their premises, and now have two pools - the newer of these being very attractive. (Take a look at the 'photo gallery' on their website!) One big advantage we found was that you could always find available sunloungers around both pools, no matter what time of day. Don't think I've stayed at a hotel where that's happened before?!! The food (all buffet style) was not bad - breakfast probably better than dinner, but plenty of choice at both meals. The staff could not be more friendly and obliging, and there was a real atmosphere of 'on holiday - do what you like'! Our room (a family suite consisting of one, large area with a glass sliding door to divide it) was in the older part of the hotel, but was very clean and comfortable, with a balcony overlooking the pools. The only slight drawback was the very tiny bathroom, with its poky shower cubicle - all a bit squashed for a family of five! The cleaners turned out to be a bit noisy first thing in the morning (the room was bang next door to their store room!), but mainly because noise reverberates a great deal around the corridor areas. Just catch up on any lost sleep around one of the pools later......
The local beach is very attractive and typically Greek, however the sand quickly gives way to rocky slabs at the water's edge, which makes going in to swim a bit awkward (especially for children). It was also (unsurprisingly for August!) very busy. We spent the majority of our time by the pools, because the children enjoyed them so much.
All in all, we would not hesitate to recommend this place to other families, couples, whoever! We booked with Thomson as a late deal (around three weeks in advance) and found the whole experience very smooth."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of August 2007

Wonderful stay

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Finished our Greek Island Family Adventure on the island of Crete at the wonderful family run Albatros Hotel. Staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and the buffet breakfasts and dinners were truelly amazing. A display of Greek dancing accompanied by Greek musicians made for a memorable evening while partaking in the excellent cuisine provided. The nearby beach a short stroll away was extremely picturesque. I highly recommend this hotel and would happily return if ever we make it back to Crete."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

one of the best

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in May 2007. We found the hotel to be spotlessly clean, tastefully furnished, peacefull and relaxing. Staff were extremely courteous and helpfull, and genuingly pleasant. Food was exceptional, very tasty and varied.Excellent location with all amenities nearby, i.e. supermarket, 30m; bars 50m; restauraunt 150m; car hire ;opposite. This hotel cannot be faulted and is one of our best stays."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of May 2007

Loved it!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Great location -- just a half block from beach, beautiful views of sea and pool, and just couple well-lit blocks' walk to all the clubs. I felt perfectly safe coming back any time of night/morning :) Rooms were clean, comfortable, and spacious for 2 people. We had a nice little balcony that we didn't take enough advantage of since we were out a lot. The pool is nice too. Bar and bar food was good, I never tried the hotel buffet because we were always out scouting for local Cretan cuisine.

What really makes this hotel stand out is the staff: I can't say enough about how wonderful they are. When I didn't have a mobile phone charger that would work in Greece, they insisted I take one of the bartenders' overnight to make sure the battery was fully charged. They gave us great recommendations on car rentals, local towns to visit (Kera) and places to eat. And when I got home and discovered I'd left my house keys in the room, I called and they told me not only had I left my keys, but my little wallet with some money and credit cards in it, as well as some shirts. They packed it all up for me and sent it insured and it all arrived safely. They are truly gracious, honest, thoughtful and smart hosts. I would definitely go back."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of August 2006

We flew from Manchester to Heraklion. Th...

Reviewed Thu 30th of June 2005

"We flew from Manchester to Heraklion. The flight was great. We arrived in Hersonissos after what seemed like a day on a coach, realistically it was more like 2 hours what with the Greek drivers driving reversing up hills etc we were ready to get off.

The room was basis, at first I hated it. It was traditional Greek with a tiled floor and twin beds when we’d requested double.

There was a fridge as stated but it was very small and nowhere to prepare even a sandwich. It was only suitable for a couple of drinks!

As the fortnight progresses I warmed to the place, at the end of the day it has a nice pool with loungers and the room was air conditioned (for a large fee!) There area was idea for us (a young couple) it was relaxing when you wanted but with Malia and Hersonissos both up the road there was plenty to do.

over all a great holiday despite the bloke being sick on the coach on the way back to the airport!"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2005