Good

The greatest staff and breakfasts!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The Megaron Hotel was gorgeous! We had a lovely room on the top floor with a very comfortable bed and superb bathroom with a deep tub for soaking after days of walking Knossos and the Museum. The breakfast buffets were truly works of art! Anything one could imagine was served and displayed beautifully. But the most important aspect of this hotel was the incredibly helpful staff. My husband unfortunately was rushed by ambulance to the hospital in the middle of our second night there with a high fever and breathing difficulties. The staff were so completely caring, and helped me with frequent changes of flights and hotels, as well as frequently asking about my husband's condition. I will never forget the kindness of the beautiful young women of the hotel. I also met two fellow travelers from Ontario, Canada, and we became quite friendly while my husband was in the hospital. I am so grateful for the Megaron's caring and hospitality. (Fortunately, my husband recovered in two days and has shown no residual effects from this sudden infection.)"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of December 2006

A lovely boutique hotel

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"I just returned home from a lovely long week-end at the Megaron Hotel where I went there with my wife in order to celebrate her name day.

Our stay there was very pleasant and comfortable and I could only spot some very minor faults (such as a broken bulb in the bathroom) which did not affect at all the wonderful time that we had there.

The only thing that I could suggest to the hotel is to create a non smoking section in their restaurants because they did not seem to have any.

Overall this was a very nice hotel and in case we ever visit again Heraklion we shall definately stay there."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of December 2006

best mattress ever!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"This hotel had the best mattress I have ever slept on. It was like being carried on clouds! Because of our early flight and late arrival we did not get to try any of the hotels facilities but the staff were very thoughful in organising early check out, breakfast and taxi to the airport. It is ideally located to all the car rental offices, the archaelogical museum (walking distance) and buses that take you all around the island is at the doorstep. Would definitely stay here again! Paid 170euros."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of October 2006

Sllek, Modern Megaron

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Great place and location. Was fun to stay in sleek luxury for 2 nites. Rooms are very stylish with great beds and bathroom. Perfect location near the ferries and easy walk to the sites in town."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Truly 5 Star Hotel and a great Cretan memory

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed here on the very last night of 2 week holiday to Crete as we needed to get a very early flight back to the UK from Heraklion the following morning. This actually seems to be a shame as we missed what is evidently a great breakfast! However, for the time that we were there we were indulged and impressed in what is truly a 5 star hotel experience. The design of the hotel is great with a lovely "living room" area which I recommend for a quiet drink before dinner. If the bar on that floor is not open then staff in the Plaza downstairs will bring drinks up for you and it was unused on the night we were there - lovely!. The roof terrace pool is fun, and dinner served on the 5th floor was the best meal we had of our holiday. Lunch in the Plaza Restaurant was also good. A downside was the table next to us smoked during our meal and whilst we ate - smoke literally wafting over sandwiches; we ate in a hurry and moved elsewhere. We later discovered that there is a small non-smoking area which was not pointed out on our arrival but bear this in mind if you have the same issue.

The standard double rooms are excellent and comfortable. Although the staff lack some sophistication in their English speaking skills, this didn't detract from their professionalism or willingness to help and the overall experience of service was excellent. The cost of this hotel was modest for a five star. Very similar to a good quality 4 star price in the UK, by my reckoning anyway, and you cannot help but feel indulged and chilled out. I would recommend and return."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of September 2006

Choose a room with harbour view if you like to sleep!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Megaron in Heraklion for two nights in July 2006 and liked this hotel A LOT. The bedrooms are lovely and the interior design faboulous. The breakfast buffet was one of the most exclusive we have ever had anywhere in Greece. We also loved the swiming pool at the top floor. Maybe the reception staff has to train a little bit more in order to become five star like the rest of the hotel, but this is not really an important issue. The room service was of excellent quality and actually not very expensive at all. We had a great dinner! The only problem really worth mentioning was the noice from the nightclub just in front of the hotel. Next time we will definately choose a room with harbour view."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of August 2006

Lot's of Luxury at a Modest Price

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"This was one of the finest hotels my wife and I have stayed at in Europe. We arrived at the hotel about 6 am, getting off the ferry from Athens. The receptionist arranged for us to leave our bags until we could check into our room and to have the hotel's excellent breakfast buffet, which is included in the room rate. Throughout our 2-day stay the hotel staff could not have been nicer, suggesting restaurants for us to try and advising us on how to travel to the Knosos Palace by bus. The hotel's location is excellent and the room could not have been more comfortable. In short - a lot of luxury for a relatively modest price."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of May 2006

loved it!

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"We loved staying here. The rooms were beautiful, and the breakfast that was included in the room rate was phenomenal! All the amenities in the bathroom were very nice.We also loved the pool- it was at the top of the hotel and had a view of the sea. The only thing I was dissapointed about was that we wanted a late check out, so had to pay extra for that."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of August 2005

Outstanding in every way

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"This is one of the top two hotels I've ever stayed in. Not only is it a great location (about 100m from the Archaeological Museum; 200m from the Venetion Forts), but the rooms are well designed with private balconies and satellite TV. As the other reviewer mentioned, my "significant other" was impressed enough with the bathroom to make me take photos of it for a possible remodel (sigh).
The hotel restaurant is probably as good as any I ate in Herakion, and being on the roof, has a beautiful view overlooking the harbor.
Staff was helpful in arranging a car rental-and saving me about E50 a day BTW, and taxis to/from the airport. The only downside would be a lack of parking around the hotel: but the staff is willing to park your car for you if you wish.
All in all, this is THE place to stay in Heraklion."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of May 2005

Loved the accomodations

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We were on our honeymoon and absolutely fell in love with the accomodations at Megaron. If you can believe it; our favorite room of the hotel was the bathroom. Why you ask, because we really like the style of the flooring and are actually considering it as a style for our own home back in the states.
The staff were all very friendly and accomodating. They even went the extra mile to give us a sampling of their famous Cretian desserts. We felt like king and queens of the palace and would definitley recommend it to anyone visitintg Iraklion."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of March 2005