lovely hotel

Reviewed Thu 25th of June 2009

"This was our first experience of an abroad hotel holiday and we absolutely loved it. We have two children aged 10 and 12 which swayed our decision to choose this hotel. The situation was beautiful although it would be difficult to venture away from the hotel without transport due to the location. The village of Fodele was pretty but not enough to do for more than a morning....anyway there was more than enough going on at the hotel. We all loved the water park which was unbelieveably quiet and never had to queue for the rides, there were lifeguards dotted around everywhere which was great if the kids wanted to go off on there own. Being at the top of the hotel complex thhere were staff to take you up via a motorised buggy whenever needed as it was too steep to walk especially in a 29 degree heat.
The hotel itself was very clean and the staff were so friendly and went out of there way to help whenever needed. The managers were constantly on hand just wandering around and checking everything. The food was plentiful and delicious with a great varity and choice for all tastes.We never had to queue for food....occasionally a couple of minutes (max) for a freshly cooked pancake at breakfast but worth it.
It is a very family orientated hotel and the staff really seemed to love their jobs and were really kind to all the children.
I would highly recommend upgrading to a superior room if you can (we did) as these rooms have a far better position, lovely balcony with front sea view and two minutes from the beach and main hotel area. The standard rooms are spread about up the hill which is very steep with loads of steps.
We wouldn't hesitate to go back again (superior room again)."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of June 2009

this was the second time i was there thi...

Reviewed Sun 13th of April 2008

"this was the second time i was there this year stayed here in may i come in may every year with my parents i will be going back in may 08 best holiday i have every had these apartments are very clean great bar and entertainment for everyone it is a family hotel but having no kids does not stop me staying there would not stay anywhere else in palma nova,its in a great location you have to be there to appreicate them recommend them "

• Travel date: Sun 13th of April 2008

We stayed in this wonderful hotel in Oct...

Reviewed Wed 1st of November 2006

"We stayed in this wonderful hotel in October 2006. As fully advertised the hotel is located in a fairly remote part of Crete, this is fine for walking but if you wish to shop then there is a regular bus service running from the main road into the capital of Heraklion. All the staff are very helpful and if there is anything at all you need to know or want then reception can usually find a solution with a smile.

The rooms are lovely, clean and comfortable but I would recommend that anyone thinking of staying here pay for a 'superior' room. These add comforts not found in the standard rooms such as room service at no extra charge, a mini bar, bathrobe and slippers. The rooms are larger with much more storage area and are located to the seaward side of the hotel so all of these rooms have sea views.

Again as widely advertised this hotel is built on the side of a mountain and walking to one of the standard rooms at the top of the hill is not for the faint hearted although, again, there is transport provided if you really cannot face the walk. A new water park has recently been opened on site and this impressive addition is well staffed by lifeguards.

The hotel contains pretty much everything you could want for a relaxing holiday, the staff are very friendly and work long hours to assure everybody’s comfort. There are currently 3 restaurants, each catering for different tastes. The main restaurant provides freshly prepared food with some main dishes cooked in front of you 'while you wait'. Breakfast was particularly good with freshly cooked pancakes on offer every morning. Lunch offers the usual mixture of rices and pastas along with salads and Greek dishes supplementing freshly cooked pork or turkey with a variety of vegetables. If there was something you wanted and couldn’t see then just ask a member of the staff and they would see if this was available.

The evening meal was of a similar high standard and at no point was I left feeling disappointed by the selection, the evening also provided themed food nights, Chinese, Indian, Greek all excellent quality. The snack bar has recently been refurbished, as has a lot of the hotel, and the food selection is aimed at the quick and easy offerings of pizza, fries, fish fingers etc., in fact just what you might expect from a snack bar!!! Also on site is Ambrosia, an a-la-carte restaurant with excellent food but, naturally, restricted to 1 visit per week. We understand that a new 'themed' restaurant will be open in time for the 2007 season. I cannot stress enough how good the restaurants are given the wide variety of people staying here from the UK, Germany Russia etc and given that its impossible to please all of the people all of the time then the hotel gets 10 out of 10 for forward thinking.

There are 3 pools on offer and all are extremely clean as is everything about this hotel although in mid October don’t expect the pools to be particularly warm.

The beach which is to the side of the hotel is quite extensive and the hotel's beach bar provides pretty much anything you could want.

Daily activities are taken care of by the animation team with their evening shows highly recommended.

There is a fitness centre which is full of the usual equipment you would expect from a standard gym and the hotel also boasts a sauna.

The Fodele Beach Hotel is classic 5 star Cretan and if you are looking for a relaxing place to stay then I have not found anywhere better and will definitely be visiting again next year."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of November 2006

I stayed at the Fodele Beach Hotel for o...

Reviewed Mon 23rd of October 2006

"I stayed at the Fodele Beach Hotel for one week in October 2006. The Hotel is o.k, far from a 5 star and certainly not as good as it looks on the website. It's a bit tatty and is starting to show it's age. It's also miles from anywhere so walking into town to do some shopping is a no goer.

The restaurant was average and the food repetitive and is clearly aimed to please the German majority at the hotel. Breakfast was very disappointing. 6 out of 10.

The local beach is messy and the facilities (archery ect...) are ageing. 5 out of 10

The accommodation was clean but the rooms poorly equipped with old air-conditioning units, a small fridge and a small T.V (which had plenty of German channels but only one English channel which was the BBC world service, yawn!) 7 out of 10.

The fitness centre (as described on the website) was very poor, don't go expecting a good gym! 4 out of 10.

The Pools were o.k., they looked a bit dirty, but were in a generally good state of repair. 7 out of 10.

The staff were generally friendly, the bar staff were good. 8 out of 10.

Over all this hotel is a country mile from being 5 star, even 5 star Greek style! Go expecting a 3 star hotel with lots of Germans!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of October 2006

Great hotel and location for those wanti...

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2005

"Great hotel and location for those wanting to chill out, with excellent facilities including three pools, and free non powered watersports.

The food is buffet style and was superb, everyday the choice was different. There was also a snack bar serving snacks all day.

The bars and the bar staff were excellent with almost every drink being all inclusive, even the cocktails and spirits.

The main pool was a bit cold, but is was refreshing after sitting in the hot sun, and you soon get used to it! There were ample sunbeds around the pool and the hotel provide beach towels.

The sandy beach is only a very short walk down a path from the hotel and there is a beach bar. The sea was actually warmer than the pools and is lovely and clear.

Our room had views of the bay and also the hilly landscape and had all the facilities we needed. Be warned though, our room was low down so was easy to get to after a couple of cocktails, but some are high up the hillside and you could have to go up almost 200 steps. The hotel did change the rooms of those who wanted moving with no problem though.

The entertainment was by the Animation team who were brilliant! Daytime activities include archery, aqua gym, shuffle, and putt the chicken (don’t ask!). Evening entertainment was in the amphitheatre and was great fun and very well done. The Animation team were very friendly and enthusiastic, great bunch of people.

Our rep from Airtours seemed only interested in selling trips, and be careful with the trips as some of them are not how they are described!

We went on a trip to Spinalonga with a beach barbeque which consisted of an early start (6.40am!!) a total of 5 hours on a coach, a meal cooked on a barbeque and eaten on the boat, and only about an hour on Spinalonga. Worth going there but better to hire a car and make your own way. We also went on the Cretan night, which apart from the food was excellent if a bit expensive considering the food was very average and didn’t seem very much like the local cuisine. The waterpark trip is a long day, better of making your own way as we were there for a day and by about 2 were ready to come back to the hotel.

Airport is grotty and I would avoid night flights in future, but overall we had a brilliant time.

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

My husband and I have just returned from...

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2005

"My husband and I have just returned from a week at this hotel. Beautiful location, nice room, great staff and amazing animation team both funny and enthusiastic and great with all ages ! The hotel is truly in the middle of nowhere so unless you want to seriously chill you will need a car.

The pools are lovely, the lower one being much quieter with plenty of sun beds. The beach has clean water but it was a shame that the area was rarely cleaned of plastic cups and straws etc. It could do with a bit of attention here.

The main negative point was the food. Definitely not five star catering. The food was always uncovered and flies and wasps would settle and feed on the open meat and cheese. The day long snack bar food was handled by staff with their bare hands and my husband and I both got food poisoning on the last couple of days.

It would definitely fail a food hygiene test in this country.

Also there was no labelling for allergies and a lot of nuts used. This could cause serious problems.

Other than the food I would recommend this hotel but take private transfers from the airport (well worth the money) and try to go for day flights.

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Generally Pleased with Hotel. Need to be...

Reviewed Sun 31st of July 2005

"Generally Pleased with Hotel. Need to be fit to reach rooms and tennis court at the top of the hill. Food average. The hotel needed more staff as queues for the bars were long and clearing tables in the restaurant took ages.

The Watersports were superb and run by a very friendly English family. You need a car as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere.

A word of warning. My son burnt himself on the hot water pipe leading into the mixing valve to the shower. This is situated in the middle of the bath rather than at the end and is easily leant on with a leg or touched with a hand. This could be very dangerous for small children. The hotel was told of this before we left.

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

I booked the holiday to Fodele beach for...

Reviewed Sun 31st of July 2005

"I booked the holiday to Fodele beach for me, my husband and little boy and another couple and their little boy and girl. The hotel was fantastic the price was fantastic and the food was fantastic.

After reading the reports before I went I worried endlessly whether I had made the right choice. We booked with Sunstar Leisure who were said to be crap! We were flying with Alexandair who I read were delaying flights here there and everywhere because they only owned one plane and Aegean leisure was the rep in Crete who were supposed to be not much cop either.

We breezed through Manchester airport with not a single delay, we had a fantastic flight and the Greek stewardess were very friendly [everyone got a free drink, non alcoholic of course}.

When we got to the hotel they moved our rooms nearer to amenities because we had kids {nothing was too much trouble}.

During our stay we lost our return tickets so we contacted Richard John Williams the Aegean rep, he met us outside the airport at 5 o’clock in the morning with new tickets and no charge! What more can you ask for? Richard is an asset to the company he works for and deserves a pat on the back.

Overall this was one of the best holidays I’ve had!"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

The hotel was great, room was superb!!....

Reviewed Tue 31st of May 2005

"The hotel was great, room was superb!!. I must say if you want to play tennis or basket ball it is RIGHT at the TOP on the hill the hotel is situated on (Roughly 200 steps and a small steep hill) the view from up there though is second to none!.

The hotel wasn’t too busy, the animation team (wonderful people) getting you up and joining in ect. The main restaurant was ok boarder-line. The main bar though what can I say, wonderful cocktails served along with a friendly smile. All in all a wonderful week and I would most definitely recommend the hotel. before I finish I must WARN you the airport is a NIGHTMARE!!!

Ques of hundreds of people only made worse by the dismal tour reps from first choice, who made the situation the even more confusing, sending us along with hordes of others to wrong check-in-desks then sending us to another one. then leaving us all together.

It would be harsh to end on a sour note bust this hotel was brilliant and it would almost certainly calm you down from the hassle at the airport."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

I have just returned from a week’s hol...

Reviewed Sat 30th of April 2005

"I have just returned from a week’s holiday at Fodele Beach with my boyfriend and wish I had been able to stay for longer! Having read some poor reviews before the trip, I was a bit worried I might not get what I had paid for, but although the hotel is not what in the UK would be considered 5-star, I was pleasantly surprised.

The season was only starting in May so rather than the full 1500-guest capacity at the hotel, we shared the resort with only about 400 others. This meant that we could always get a lounger by the pool or the beach (any time of day), the staff weren’t too busy to stop for a chat and the hotel was fairly quiet - coupled with absolutely fantastic weather all week, this was exactly what I wanted! Lunch and dinner times were also quite relaxed, with not too many people eating at the same time. The food was gorgeous and the hotel has a new, Italian chef for this season which meant delicious Italian food in addition to the otherwise mainly Greek specialties.

Some rooms are quite high up on the hillside, but all of Crete is fairly hilly, so it’s not really a resort for anyone not prepared to do a bit of walking and climbing anyway. We were lucky, though, and had probably the closest room to the hotel and the swimming pools. The room was quite basic but very clean and comfortable, with a private balcony and super-efficient air conditioning.

We cycled to Fodele village one afternoon, but as the hotel is a fair distance from any other towns, car hire is a must if you want to get more out of your stay. We hired a car for two days and drove to Irakleio, Mount Idi, Rethymnon and the Imvros gorge - worth every penny! (Don’t hire a car via the hotel, though, as they have an extortionate excess on their deal.) The rest of our time was spent relaxing by the pool and on the beach (or playing beach volley with other guests and the friendly animation team), so combining relaxation and activities is fairly easy on Crete.

The only criticism I have is about an excursion we went on. This was a boat trip and BBQ, organised by a local tour operator, but instead of a lovely boat trip and a quiet beach for the BBQ, we got 5.5 hours on a bus (about an hour on the boat) and shared the beach with a couple of hundred other tourists. On the way back, our minibus broke down in the middle of nowhere and we had to change buses 3 or 4 times on this trip. This trip, to Spinalonga, is organised daily by so many companies that avoiding the crowds is probably impossible - don’t go!

Apart from the disappointment of this excursion, everything about this holiday was perfect! I wouldn’t go in the middle of the summer when the weather is likely to be a lot hotter and the hotel a lot busier, but otherwise I would recommend it to anyone considering Crete as a destination!

And another tip - order a Mai Tai from Nikos at the main bar!"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2005

DEFINITELY NOT A 5 STAR HOTEL, MORE LIKE 2/3 Stars

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"DEFINITELY NOT A 5 STAR HOTEL!!!!!!!!

Where do you start? Spent quite a lot of time searching for a last minute deal through Last Minute and was overjoyed at spending a week at a 5 star, Ultra-all-inclusive resort.......this wasn't to be the case.

Upon arrival, room was really small and had a great view of.........some trees!

Thoughout the week it became apparent that this was actually a 3 star resort, as detailed by the 3Ts rating from Thompson.

Food was bland and somehow was the same every day. Even noticed that the previous meals leftovers were being used in some dishes for the following meal.

The activity staff were useless, offering dart and waterpolo every day while the sun shone. When it rained they weren't interested in organising things for the bored guest.

Generally a crap hotel with very inadequate staff and facilities."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of October 2004

We arrived 18 and half hours late due to...

Reviewed Thu 30th of September 2004

"We arrived 18 and half hours late due to incompetence of the airline, Excelair. Not only did the airline lie to all the passengers about the delay they did not apologise for it or have a rep their to assist with getting people good hotel accommodation at Gatwick. I will never fly with them again nor will many others on that dreadful flight, XLA 5144.

We arrived at the hotel which is situated in a side road off the main road leading to Heraklion. The staff greeting us were wonderful, helpful to get us to our rooms and make sure we had food and drink. The facilities at the hotel were very good with plenty of room to move and enjoy the scenery. The sea was calm warm and gin clear. The food was excellent and varied and was mostly Greek or Cretan. The salads were so refreshing and each day there was something new. One could have as much or as little as you wanted being buffet service. Wine was free alone with soft drinks for children, all you did was help yourself. All meals catered for all nationalities, Cold meats and chesses for breakfast along with fry ups for the brits. Many different cereals and fresh Greek yoghurt and the wonderful local honey and fresh fruit. Lunches one could have 5 different courses, the same being for evening meals. Always there was fish normally 2 sorts along with 4 or 5 different meat dishes.

Going in October the hotel was only half full the service by the staff was second to none. All the pools were spotless as were all sports equipment. Free scuba lessons and wind surfing and plenty of things arranged during the day on the beach for adults as well as children.

The beach bar was a popular place as the sun started to go down were one could have their fist cocktail before getting ready for dinner.

In all a very good hotel and my wife and I will be returning next year, but with a different airline."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of September 2004

Hotels near Fodele Beach & Water Park Holiday Resort

Top traveller tips for Fodele Beach & Water Park Holiday Resort

• adamf2001 by adamf2001

"Do not use LoveHolidays as a tour operator they basically tell you "we can't help, you should have read the small print" if anything goes wrong! Also - Hire some transport the place is miles from anywhere. "

Fodele Beach & Water Park Holiday Resort is also called