Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila

Elounda, Crete 72053 Greece

Severe building works! Expensive drinks, no local buses - beware

"Major earth works due to the overrunning works to extend the hotel will affect your stay. The buidling works affect the main restaurant, pool area and some rooms which are 7 days a week from 9 until 6.
Public areas have no air conditioning which means you will be using your room a lot
Expensive bar prices (cheapest house wine 19eu), and rediculous charges for tea and coffee sachets(1.50EU) in room made me very cross
No local bus to Elounda, and a 30 minute walk to the nearest village
No mini market, tennis court or fresh water swimming pool as they have all been built on
Buffet service only ( a 5*?) with a token gesture of a la carte which is truely terrible with a couple of tables stuck in the corner
A very attractive location, but avoid until next year when the building works are finished"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of June 2008

Lovely Holiday, poor location of hotel

Good

"Just come back from the Elounda Village. They rate themselves a 5 star, although I would probably give them 4. Our room was nice - huge bed which was great. We had a terrace where we spent many nights drinking a bottle of wine bought from the many Lidl's on the island - the hotel wine is overpriced at cheapest 21 euros. Watch out for the mini bar prices - they do charge you for using the tea and coffee too!. The hotel is beautifully kept with stunning flowers and trees. The shop is poor with limited stock. All hotel Staff are lovely and the food in the restaurants is good, plus they do have entertainment evenings which we enjoyed. The hotel is poorly located. It takes 45-50 minutes to walk into the nearest resort - Elounda and although the hotel does run a bus service, it only goes 3 times a day. Pools are nice and there is a small beach. I believe the hotel is having a massive refurbishment this winter and in my opinion needs it - it was like a bun fight in the main restaurant and I believe they are making this bigger. Overall, we had a great holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of October 2007

Very disappointing

"We found this hotel to be very disappointing. We thought we had booked a 'Romantic bungalow' with a sea view. Our room, which was good, did not have a sea view, and had other rooms to the left and right of it and indeed above it. So I am not sure how this constitutes a bungalow of any type. As the week progressed it transpired that a great number of people had experienced the same problem of not getting the sea view room they had booked and that the hotel had a man trying to sort out the problems full time - not completely successfully in our case or in others either.

I have stayed in many much superior 4 star hotels and we found nothing exceptional in this hotel or nothing which would giive any indication of its 5 star rating. The food was certainly not outstanding and we ventured into the town on a number of evenings despite being half board (a 50 minute walk, for which the Hotel provided no form of transport) to enjoy a more Greek / Cretan dining experience. The Elounda Village Hotel really needs to get its basics right before it can do the extras which would allow it to call itself a 5 star hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of October 2007

NOT adults only!

"I have not stayed at this hotel so it is not a review of the resort, but rather a warning to others who have been told that this resort is adults only.

We booked a fortnight at the Elounda Village for Oct 2007. It looked like just what we wanted, quiet and romantic. We wanted a hotel that catered for adults only as we wanted to avoid having our peace disturbed by noisy children, as had happened on our previous holiday. We were assured by Interdynamic, who handle the resort’s bookings, that this hotel was for adults only. Having booked the hotel we then booked our flights independently.

In the run up to our holiday, it became apparent from other Trip Advisor contributors that children were allowed at the resort. I e-mailed the hotel querying this and received no reply. I then sent a letter and again received no reply. I looked into it further and found that both First Choice and Thomson were offering holidays for families at this hotel during my stay. We have nothing against families, but we had been promised an adults only hotel, which was the reason we had booked it.

As I had received no communication from Interdynamic I was left with no option but to contact my credit card company and request a charge back under section 75 of the UK Consumer Credit Act 1974. I supplied evidence of the hotel’s misrepresentation and evidence that children were allowed at the hotel. The chargeback was granted, resulting in a refund of our deposit. The credit card company also agreed to refund our flights as they were a consequential loss stemming from the hotel’s misrepresentation.

I am sure this is a lovely hotel but it is not what we had been promised and I thought others looking for a European adults only resort (which is not easy to find) should beware! It worked out OK for us in the end but it was a hassle we could have done without."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of September 2007

Fantastic place

"We have just returned from a 7 days stay at this hotel and I can recommend it for those who seek a silent environment (no music, just waves) or a nice diving spot.

Hotel is a 5 star, service is very good, rooms clean and interesting as interior design. We requested and received a sea-view room which met perfectly our expectations.

Cons are related to food which is not the best we ate so far. Here they can improve the taste but it might be my subjective assessment. Anyway, I would definitely return here for all the other things I found which compensate this small issue of food.

The diving center there - Blue Dolphin - has excellent people, always willing to help and very friendly. Places to explore are ok for an Open Water Diver and even for an Advanced."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of August 2007

Fantastic hotel!

"We stayed at Elounda Village hotel for 2 weeks, 4 people.
Me, my brother and my parents. Everytime we go on holiday it is me who finds the hotels that we are going to visit. I know everything about all the best hotels in the world and my family and i have visited many luxury hotels. So i know a lot about hotels.

When we arrived at the hotel in the middle of the night, the reception welcomed us with fresh orange juice (nice start). Afterwards we had a staffmember showing us our two rooms.

We had two standard gardenview rooms, because there wasn't any bungalows available. But the rooms were great except from the thing, that there was some noice from the restaurant upstairs.

The first evening we had dinner at the à la carte restaurant called SYMPOSIUM, because the Mirabello restaurant is closed at monday. The food there wasn't too great, but they was a nice atmosphere. The second night we had dinner at the Mirabello à la carte restaurant. The view from the restaurant is absolutly incredibly! The food was also very nice, and the service was great! Perfect restaurant!
We also loved the american breakfast buffet in the main restaurant which is included in the price, but if you want to pay more than what is included in the price, you can also have a nice breakfast overlooking the sea at the Mirabello restaurant.
In the main restaurant there is buffet every evening with different kinds of themes. The food there is okay, but i wouldn't call it great.

The hotel was perfect for teenagers like my brother and I, who loves luxury resorts. There were different kinds of watersports which we enjoyed a lot! And there is also tennis and tabletennis which we also used a lot.
The hotel also has a car rental, so it is easy to rent a car like my family did.

So it was an absolutly perfect hotel for our family! The maximum of 12 kids at the hotel, means that it is a nice place for older people since there aren't any noice from screaming kids and stuff like that. It is deffenetly a quiet and nice place.

But if i should say something bad about it, then it should be, that you will have to take a taxi to Elounda city, (and it takes a long time for the taxis to arrive to the hotel), because you will die of the heat if you walk since it isn't exactly close to the hotel. Another thing is that you should try to get a bungalow instead of a room in the mainbuilding. But i have heard that they are renovating the hotel again next year or so, and then the whole mainbuilding will be a new restaurant and a huge spa instead of rooms (maybe there will be some few suites left), and that they will make some more rooms with private pools, plus an extra 25 meter long pool.

So go they, it is worth every single burned up penny!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

Elunda Village is a wonderful Hotel

"My husband and I wanted a relaxing, no-kids, luxury holiday and that is exactly what we had at the Elunda Village. I think we did well with our room, which was a sea front bungalow with a huge kingsize bed and a balcony overlooking the sea, we saw a couple of other rooms that were smaller, but they all had smart bathrooms and comfortable fittings. I suggest you take brochure or booking details though as ours said the room had a DVD player and we had to show them our letter to get one bought (but no problem once we mentioned this) . One small niggle is that although the roms have tea/coffee facilities they charge if you use them like they do for the minibar(not cheap!) I suggest you get your own from the supermarket (One on site is much more expensive than town). Elunda is a 40 minute walk (we opted for the 7 Euro taxi back!), and for the nicest way come off the main road when you get to the salt flats and walk along the sea front. The staff and locals are all extremely pleasant and helpful. The meals are buffet style in the main restaurant or service in the Cretian style 'Symposium' or smarter 'Mirabello' restaurants. They put on several themed meal nights, although the core options are still available. Also try out the beach bar which is a lovely seting for a drink or snack.
If you want to join in they arrange activities (e.g. yoga, Greek dancing, a taster at scuba diving), but nothing is forced, in fact the whole atmoshphere is relaxed, including smart casual for dining. There is a small gym and beauty treatments, which were similar price to the UK.
We would definitely reccommend this hotel for couples."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

A beautiful hideaway

"We stayed here for a week in mid June on a half board basis. When we arrived we noticed the management of the hotel had changed it's name to Aquila from Grecotel. I'm not sure how recent this change was but it has certainly continued its 5 star service. We were welcomed at reception with a complimentary drink and shown to our rooms which had further complimentary fruit, wine and water.

It is perfect for couples and not recommended for families. That said, they were a couple of children there despite it being advertised to us as being an adults only hotel.

The food, service, staff, rooms, pools and gardens were a delight but the only downside to the hotel was its location. Don't get me wrong, the views and the quiet atmosphere where it is situated on the bay of Mirabello have to be seen to be believed but if you are going here looking for an ideal location to explore Elounda, easily on foot, then I'd think again. The first couple of days we made the 40min walk along to Elounda on a fairly quiet road but our idea of a holiday wasn't to be sweating buckets there and back everyday. The other option was to climb a very steep hill all the way to the main road and catch a bus - which incidentally took us until the 3rd day to spot one.

Our solution to the problem was to rent a car for a couple of days from Elounda Travel. They have a few of their branches on the walk into Elounda. A brand new Peugeot 207 was 50 euros (which includes insurance and any additional drivers) for one day and was well worth it to explore the rural villages and the amazing views that came with them. However, in other busier towns such as Malia, rental seemed to be a lot cheaper.

The main restaurant buffet food in particular was varied and plentiful and the chefs were always visibly working hard to keep on top of the demand. My girlfriend is usually rather a fussy eater but on the whole found the food extremely attractive.

The hotel has 2 other a la carte restaurants of which we were able to eat in for free. We're not sure whether that was for all guests or only guests from our travel company but it'd be worth checking as it was well worth it. The formal Mirabello restaurant in particular was first class with all tables having a view over the bay accompanied by relaxing live music. The other restaurant, the Symposium, was less formal but still extremely good for food and also with live music.

Overall the holiday was wonderful and the location wouldn't put us off going back as it may not be such a problem for those who are more concerned with staying in the hotel and relaxing. This would be more than possible with the gardens, pools, beach and entertainment that is available."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

excellent for quite break

Good

"It was a lovely hotel for a weeks holiday in a quite, secluded resort. We wanted a place we could go to recharge our batteries that was pretty and luxurious and without young children. That is what we got!
I am glad we opted for bed and breakfast only as the food was the only down side. I am also glad we upgraded our room so we had a bungalow with a private balcony overlooking the sea.
The clientele was very cosmopolitan and mostly european. There were very few british people there during our stay.
The staff are helpful and the grounds are lovely. The private beach is very small, but adaquate. The village is good walk away or 7 euros in a taxi.
We ate out most nights as the food at the hotel is expensive for what it is.
I would recommend it to adults who are seeking a sanctury."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of May 2007

Easter holiday 2007

"My partner and I stayed for five days during April 2007 and had a fantastic time at the Elounda Village! The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and the room was very clean, comfortable (the double bed was huge) and had an amazing view of the sea. We even had our own balcony where we sat in the evening watching the sunset - very romantic! I would recommend this hotel without a second thought."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of May 2007

A jewel in the crown

"The rooms are excellent, the staff are extremely helpful, the food in the main and a la carte restaurants is first class, the myriad of pools is superb, the setting and the views are glorious, the entertainment is discreet and not a screaming child in sight. One of the most relaxing holidays we have had in the Med and we are recommending it unequivocally to our friends."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of September 2009

We have just returned from a fabulous 2...

"We have just returned from a fabulous 2 weeks at the Aquila Elounda Village.

We had paid extra in advance for a superior sea view room and were not disappointed. On arrival at 6am we were greeted with a glass of champagne and allocated an upgrade to a brand new superior sea view bungalow with magnificent views over Mirabello Bay. The hotel had recently been extended although we were not made aware of this by our travel company before our holiday.

The bungalow was spacious and kept extremely clean with maid service twice a day. We received a free bottle of champagne and a bottle of wine in the room along with a bowl of fresh fruit every other day and fresh flowers regularly throughout the holiday. We also received complimentary tea and coffee and bottles of water. During our first week we received an invite to cocktails and were given a present of a greek urn ornament to take home.

The staff were all so friendly - from the reception and restaurant staff to the porters and the maids.

The breakfast was fabulous - anything you could wish for and more - and there was so much choice for your evening meal and the option to eat at any one of 3 of the hotels restaurants. The food in the Mirabello at lunchtime was particularly good.

Many people commented on the drinks being expensive although to be fair they were not much more than you would pay in bar or restaurant in town and only to be expected in a 5 star hotel.

Hotel is best suited to those people looking for a relaxing break. The walk into Elounda town took a good 45 minutes although there is a bus service from the hotel there and back 4 times a day

In our opinion it was definitely worth paying the extra for a superior room and for the views this gave.

There is still room for some improvement at this hotel but nothing major and nothing that would stop us from recommending it to others or from revisiting

Thank you Elounda Village for a relaxing and memorable holiday

• Travel date: Sun 21st of September 2008

Hotels near Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila

Stayed at Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila? Share your insight.

Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila is also called