Elounda Peninsula All Suite Hotel

Elounda Peninsula via private road, Elounda, Crete 720 53 Greece

“European Chic”

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"I visited the Elounda Peninsula All Suites hotel on a company incentive trip with approximately 20 company members and their partners. This was a 4 night stay with some organised activities as well as lots of time to relaxing and uses the hotel facilities.

My wife and I stayed in Suite 44 - “Kea” which was right on the beach over looking the small water sports harbour and Odysseus Tavern restaurant. Our private pool was a very good size and contained filtered sea water which was lovely but quite salty. The pool takes up nearly the full width of the outside area and requires you to walk along the very edge of the pool in the drainage system. This is no problem but you do need to be careful when negotiating this in the dark (though the pool is illuminated at night) after an evening drink. There were two sun loungers, a table and chairs and a small grass area. There is a beautiful stone wall running down both sides of the outside area and this together with a woven cloth canopy close to the suite, provide secluded privacy.

The beach and the sea are both very clean and the sun loungers are teak on the private Elounda Peninsula beach/harbour wall area with its own sand beach. Drinks and snacks can be purchased from the friendly hotel staff.

The company hired the fantastic Serene’s Jetty Bar for an evening drinks party with cocktails and canapés. The bar is situated just above the rocks at the head of the peninsula and is made up of teak decking with glass panels to allow you to see the sea below and at night there are underwater lights illuminating the water to great effect. The bar itself is set in the rocks and covered with a “sail” type parasol.

The Six Sense Spa is situated in the adjacent hotel the Porto Elounda which over looks the 9 hole golf course and down to the Elounda Peninsula. You can request a car to take you there or walk through the golf course and enjoy the views. In fact the very best views of the Elounda Peninsula from the land are at the Porto Elounda. If you are into spas, this will blow you away. The focus of the spa is an authentic Turkish hamam, where you can experience a wide range of traditional treatments from around the world. There is the normal sauna, chilled plunge pool and steam room, but here the steam has a hint of mint to it enhancing the experience. You can even enjoy four kinds of showers, cold mist and tropical rain to name two. While I did not partake in a treatment, my wife did and she tells me they were out of this world. I just paid to laze about in the pools etc. for a few hours soaking up the ambiance. The whole establishment is very high class with an oval window in the roof which feeds down through a transparent floor of the oval pool with large turquoise crystals hanging over it. There is a seawater pool that leads out through a opening in the glass wall to an infinity type pool with shaped underwater loungers which you can select air to be blown out to form your own Jacuzzi.

We had a go at a wine tasting session in the “Kelari” wine cellar of the hotel conducted by the sommelier. Up to 12 people at a time can have a fun and informative lecture with the obligatory tasting of some of the fine wines of Greece along with cheese and bread to clear the pallet.

Breakfast is served next to the gourmet restaurant “Calypso” over looking the sea. A wide range of food is available from healthy options and standard breakfast fare such as eggs, sausages and bacon. The well presented staff provide an efficient and courteous service. Upstairs the sun drenched verandas of the “Admiral’s Bar” with its chic wicker chairs give you a birds eye view of the hotel and surrounding area. From here you can see that some of the roofs of the suites have a decorative garden which is just for show as there is no way for the guests to access them.

I used the water sports centre which is very well equipped with the usual range of jet skis, pedlows and towed inflatable “craft”. Diving courses can be arranged for those new to diving and guided dives are available for these already qualified. As an experienced UK diver I was quickly checked out both on paper with signed declarations running to 7 pages and in the water with the standard practical assessment taking less than 2 mins before the dive. All the kit was very new and the dive centre assembled it all for you, leaving you to simply test the air supply just before they put it onto the boat for the short a smooth boat ride out to the dive site.

The overall impression of the hotel is “European Chic” of the highest quality. It provides a quite and private retreat with immediate access to the private beach and the sea plus everything else that you could want right on had. The privacy afforded by the design and layout of the hotel buildings is very clever.

Having this time visited the hotel as part of my “work”, I will definitely be returning for a future stay of a few days rest as soon as possible. As they do not cater for the 7 day package market, you can book the days that suit you and go for as long as you can afford."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

Indulgence and luxury in Crete

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My wife, young daughter and I spent a long weekend in a villa in the Elounda Peninsula Hotel in June 2007. It proved to be the perfect break - the villas are luxurious and spacious, the service is as good as any in Europe and the well equipped kids facilities ensure that both parents and children are completely catered for. The coup de grace is the recently opened Six Senses Spa - a 20,000 square foot oasis of unrivalled indulgence. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone looking to combine the freedom of a villa with the amenities of a top-class hotel. The sister hotels (Elounda Mare, Porta Elounda) are likely to better suit those looking for a more traditional hotel experience."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of June 2007

Lovely Elounda

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"These people really understand hospitallity.
Excellent restaurants, flawless service.

Alex and Alice Ignatiadis"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of June 2007

phenomenal!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Please refrain from listening to any review that is negative about this dream hotel.
We were staying at a fabulous hotel in Paphos Cyprus, but the weather was getting bad, so we hopped off to Crete.
We arrived at The Elounda Peninsula and even though we are spoint with regular stays in 5 star hotels the view, the welcome, the suite, the design, the facilities and the restaurants just blew us away!
This is a supremly well run hotel, makes genuine use of local Cretian staff, and has a plethora of friendly, helpful and knowledgable people on hand at all times.
The view is surpassed only by the Grand Canyon, and even though the weather was not 100% we will be informing our bank manager that we need to return soon.
Not cheap, but an Aston Martin DB9 of the hotel world.
GO!"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of May 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Go there if you can

This is an awesome place, great food, right on the sea which is clean, great staff, incredible rooms.

I rarely stay in smart places, but if i had more cash, this is the sort of place i would love to stay in more often.

Very, very chilled."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of January 2007

wOw!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My husband and I orginally booked at the Elounda Bay Palace and it was closed for the season. They rebooked us at the Elounda Bay Peninsula and We were very scared at first but when we got there we were in shock the rooms are huge we upgraded to a room with a private heated pool. The staff are so friendly and helpful and the restaurants on site are excellent! expect to stay in your resort if you did not rent a car the drive is far to get there and get out. But would most likely go back if we go to Crete again. If you don't like one pool there are many to choose from and the breakfast is great!."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of November 2006

OMG!!!! an amazing hotel

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the elounda peninsula the last two weeks of September. We had a peninsula collection suite with our private pool and I have to tell you the suites are huge. Our living room was on the lower level with the pool and the bedroom was on the top floor with a really big bathroom. We knew we had picked an inexpensive type of suite, so we really wanted to see what the others were like, but they were fully booked for the wedding of the owner's daughter. When we heard this we thought we would be a little inconvenienced be the whole affair (there were literally hundreds of guests), but in the end it was more fun than trouble. The decoration at the night of the wedding was truly magic, with thousands of candles all over the resort and even floating in the sea!!! It was so romantic! The whole Greek royal family were there.

Some tips for the ones visiting the hotel: go for a drink to the Serene bar at the tip of the peninsula -the floor has windows to the sea below, and definitely visit the Six Senses Spa at Porto Elounda (it's a ten-minute walk but there are also cars talking you there). You wont believe the view, the treatments and the design of this spa. For dinner, you must try the Calypso restaurant even for one night (prices are high, but not what you would pay in London for this chef) and try the chocolate cake. We asked the sommelier for a visit to the wine cellar and he gladly obliged. He really knows his wines and we tried some superb Greek labels (apparently the owners also have vineyards and produce a number of labels). The only thing we missed out on was a couple of excursions we had planned to do, because we just spent our time in the spa! We really had a great time and we are certainly going back."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of November 2006

Loved the elounda peninsula

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"This hotel is great. I visited for a week with my 3-year-old son and my husband. We stayed at suite number 172 (peninsula collection) and we had a great time. I read on another review that some people couldn't understand how the 'hammock' was working and they couldn't find the way to get on it!! I was surprised because i spent about 2 hrs everyday on it, relaxing and reading my book. This hotel is ideal for families. My 3-year-old son had the time of his life . At 9 o'clock in the morning of the first day i went with him to the "childrens ark" of the hotel. This is an amazing place with all kinds of games and 3 nannies talking care of the children. I stayed with him for 2 hrs because it was the first time i left him alone and also i wanted to see how the nannies were working. I have to tell you it was the first time he never asked for me so i left him there everyday from 9:00 a.m to 5:00 p.m.They even have rooms for the children to sleep!!!
The beach of the resort is great and the PR manager told us that over the winter season they will build a new private sandy beach for the elounda peninsula!!! Also you MUST visit the six senses spa at the sister resort porto elounda. Wherever you stay in elounda, this place is something you must see. It is amazing. We had 2 treatments everyday and really whatever i write won't do it justice. It is 10 minutes walking distance from the elounda peninsula but there are also club cars taking you there whenever you wish.
The food is excellent at the calypso reatsurant while the service is a little slow. I really can't understand how someone could write a bad review for this hotel. Everything was excellent and we will be back for sure!"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

Not worth the money

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"This was our 4th visit to Crete and we have stayed at the Elounda Mare twice, but thought that we would give the Peninsula a go this time round. From the brochure and reviews we had read, we were expecting a hotel catering more for couples than families with small children

We booked a Peninsula Collection suite which was very nice, but our particular patio more or less never got the sun at all! Given that all we want to do on holiday is sunbathe and preferably not surrounded by hordes of people, this was a bit of a problem! We mentioned it to our rep, who spoke to the duty manager, and we were moved that afternoon to another room which had the sun until nearly 3.00pm - so full marks for this. (However, our move also revealed to us that we must have had the smallest Collection suite originally as it had a much smaller downstairs living room and no extra bathroom). The pool was small but fine if all you wanted to do was cool off, which we did. As for the 'hammock', we didn't work out how you were supposed to get on it, and came to the conclusion that it was actually there to break your fall if you fell off your balcony! Talking of which, if I had had any small children with me, I would have spent the entire time being terrified that they would either do just that or, unless you kept your downstairs patio doors shut all the time, that they would wander out and fall in the pool from there! And yet the hotel was full of families with toddlers and babies...

Down at the beach, the reserved beach beds were way too close to the other guests' and we were unlucky enough to have a very vocal family (complete with mobile phone) on one side and another with 3 three children under the age of 5 on the other! And, as mentioned by other reviewers, the beach is shared with Porto Elounda, and therefore packed with families - quiet and peaceful it isn't! After the first day, we retreated back to our patio! We did venture back a little later in the week, to find that our 'reserved' beds had someone else's name on it! Judging by some of the conversations I overhead on this subject, it was obvious that the system was rather chaotic! They do come round with cold towels and small bottles of mineral water a couple of times during the day, which was very welcome, but be warned, only the first delivery of water is free, any more and it will be put on your bill.

But our main complaint with this hotel, and the reason that we wouldn't go back, is with our experience of the Calypso restaurant and its staff (who also 'serve' at breakfast). We ate twice at the Calypso - the first time, the food and service were fine until we got to the end of the meal. I ordered an Irish coffee and asked if it could be served upstairs in the bar. The maitre d' was a bit iffy but said yes and then brought us our bill. But it was someone else's (a family from the Elounda Mare). When we pointed this out, he apologised, took it away and came back a few minutes later with - the same bill, with their name and room number crossed out and ours handwritten on it! We finally sorted this out, but needless to say I never got my Irish coffee, but at least I wasn't charged for it. A few days later we decided to give it another go, as we had enjoyed the previous meal. What a mistake! First, nobody took any notice of us for at least 15 minutes after we were seated, then they served us with the 'amuse bouche' twice, then our starters took an hour to arrive and mine was uncooked (and it was fish). They did offer to make me another one, but I told them not to bother, as we had now been in the restaurant for an hour and a half and hardly had anything to eat! The final straw was when the maitre d' had the audacity to give us our bill whilst murmuring, 'I just want to point out that service isn't included if you would like to leave something for the staff'!! When my husband replied politely that we wouldn't be doing so as the service had been appalling, he just walked away! No apology, no attempt to find out what had gone wrong, in fact I doubt he was even listening at all. It should also be mentioned that the rest of the restaurant staff were extremely young, inexperienced and didn't seem to care about giving good service either, which is certainly not what we would expect in a restaurant that has pretensions to being 5*.

We also ate at the Elies (Porto Elounda), and twice at the Elounda Mare (The Mill and the Yacht Club). Yes, they are expensive, but at least the service matched the food! But the best meal we had was at the Elounda Gulf Villas which is 5 minutes walk up the hill - excellent food, service and ambience and about half the price of Calypso.

All that said, we had a good week as the weather was good, but don't feel that we got value for money as far as the meals were concerned. If we do go back, it will be to the Elounda Mare."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of September 2006

Quite good but ......

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Now we`ve done all 3 Major Hotels in Elounda, the E-beach, the Blue Palace and now the E-Peninsula - one thing is for sure - the bay and the vista is just amazing in all 3 of them. Does the peninsula stand out ? - In all fairness probably not .. - the room - we had a J-suite with private pool overlooking mare - was nice but then nothing outstanding for that kind of dosh (paid 960 € per room B&B) .

Crew and team very nice - seem to take their job seriously and were attentative and good - probably a bit more then that ... .

Breakie was good though but then again not brilliant - little details such as Tea-bags, no low fat spread and yoghurts is just showing the place is good by all means - but excellent err .. not really... .

Like many of the reviewers commented the food prices are just a plain rip off - but we knew that beforehand... - it`s just that it`s soo ridicolous sometimes .. example ... 12 € for 1/2 a sliced grapefruit in your room ... . We were eating out in the sister Hotel the E-Mare at the Yacht-Club restaurant very good - excellent service - 2 bottles of local wine 2 courses each (no lobbie though.. 220 Euros .... .

Joined the BBQ theme night at the Taverna... - very low marks - everything rather greasy - no proper good fish or steak .. - lamb was very "grow up lamb..." - gyros was far to much fatty ... - salad bar realy dissapointing ... - 210 Euros .. not realy worth it quite in contrary... .

Another place we ate twice was the restuarant at the elounda golf villa restaurant - the ARGO - Very good charimg service - stunning view and 30% cheaper then the main hotels - food much better .. some courses were near terrific .. .

In Elounda follwoing local advice - and some reviewers comments - we avoided the famous ferryman and opeted for the Morenga restaurant run by a local fishermans family ... - place does look rather trashy - but the food was near to "historic" ... - great little sardines, local rose, and some great lobsters - a drunken waiter (funny in a sense..) - a nice family - and some greek humor a good night out for once... - . .

The Hotel is run very proffesional though - Maria the guest relation manager is doing a very good job looking after yourself - constantly checking if everything is allright - which again i can vouch that yes it was allright - but is that enough ???"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Hotels near Elounda Peninsula All Suite Hotel

Stayed at Elounda Peninsula All Suite Hotel? Share your insight.

Elounda Peninsula All Suite Hotel is also called