perfect honeymoon

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We visited Elounda Gulf Villas in June 2007 for our 2-week honeymoon, and i don't think we could have went anywhere nicer, the place is amazing, the views in particular are spectacular, we stayed in the Superior Spa Villa which was fabulous, it had it's own Sauna, Steam room and Gym which was great , and the view over the bay of mirabello was breathtaking !
You get the privacy of your own villa along with the perks of a hotel ( room service/cleaners every day etc)
The restaurant was first class and the food delicious, the waiters were so friendly and lovely and the service they provided was excellent.
The town of Elounda was also very quaint and lovely and i don't agree at all with previous reviews that this was shabby and tatty, the restaurants were brilliant and it also had a large number of shops.
We will definitely go back to Elounda Gulf Villas as we had a fantastic time and will remember it forever. x"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of July 2007

Luxurious and perfect - Highly recommend a stay here

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from the Elounda Gulf Villas. It was our first trip to the hotel and I can honestly say we came away with nothing but praise. One big positive about the hotel is that the management really care. They go the extra mile to make sure guests are having a wonderful holiday. The standard of accommodation is excellent, my husband booked the Royal Villa and it was everything it said it would be, and much much more....most web sites and brochures make the property look better than they are in reality. All I can say is the pictures of the Royal Villa don't do it justice. Its a luxurious, spacious wonderful villa. It has everything you could wish for. Floor to ceiling windows allow for the most amazing views. Just perfect! Having said that we expected the Royal Villa to be special, so its worth highlighting from what we saw ALL the accommodation was luxurious. We did see other villas, and although smaller were equally as stunning. Elegant and luxurious decor, all the villas with a different style. All the swimming pools are unique as they wind down the hill side overlooking the Gulf of Mirabello. Worth noting they are swimming pools rather than the usual plunge pools that you get as other hotels. If they are too cold, they will turn up the temperature. The flexibility of this hotel means you have a villa which has a fully fitted kitchen, but also the facilities of a 5* hotel. We had breakfast on the terrace from room service but could have equally made our own - the hotel would even go out to do the shopping for you! The standard of the food in the restaurants is again superb - we could not find any fault at all. Cocktails were perfect and the cost very reasonable at E8 for a Kir Royale, not bad considering the other hotel along the coast charges E16 for a glass of local Greek white wine!
The staff are all so friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. We even received a call from the owner of the hotel (Ms Anna Kadianakis) from her holiday to wish us a pleasant stay in the villa - now thats what I call the personal touch.
The hotel manager is a real asset to the hotel, he is professional and knows what makes the difference to guests. It was a pleasure to deal with him on a day to day basis. He made the effort to chat with guests to check they were happy and to see if there is anything more they could do.
This hotel is a real gem! Other hotels on the island seem to be surviving on past glory and from our experience they are fading fast (we have stayed in them). Elounda Gulf Villas is a small luxurious hotel, offering guests 5* luxury villas and suits. Standards and the villas are modern, chic and elegant. The only negative we could say is that it would be nice to be closer to the sea....but the hotel even try to bring the sea to you with salt water in the pools....but apparently if thats not your preference they will change it to fresh water! Thats the sort of standard of service this hotel is setting. It was a pleasure to be a guest at the hotel and my husband and I will be returning."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

We were treated like royalty - even with our toddler!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We had an incredible experience at the Elounda Gulf Villas just a few
weeks ago. We were a bit anxious to go to such a nice resort with our
2-year-old child, but Elounda welcomed us and him completely and our stay was perfect.

When we arrived at the airport, the driver was waiting for us with a car seat already installed! What service! We found out later the hotel had arranged for this. Thank you, thank you!

Upon arrival at the hotel very late at night, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom villa (Erofili - the same one the reviewer below did not like). We were stunned by the beauty of the villa, the private pool, the private pool deck - everything was top notch. We had no disturbances (pool room below? what's that?) and yes the club car was parked outside from time to time, but so what? You couldn't see it from inside the villa or from the pool/pool deck. The beds were a bit hard, but not so much that we didn't sleep just fine. The villa was lovely and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

We loved spending time at the main pool. It was heated, and had a very nice children's area. There were a few other kids at the pool, otherwise all adults. Nevertheless, we didn't feel unwelcome with our
toddler. On the contrary, the atmosphere was very relaxed despite
being chic and elegant.

At breakfast and all other meals, there was a highchair available, and the staff always treated our son very well.

Service was of the utmost quality. Upon arrival very late at night, they sent over some food for us. And since we were leaving very early
in the morning, they delivered breakfast the night before so we could
eat at our leisure. The ladies at the front desk were extremely
professional, knowledgeable, and helpful. A carseat was at our disposal for use in taxis and rental cars. There is nothing we needed
that wasn't provided.

Bottom line - we loved Elounda, would recommend it to anyone, and are
hoping we have the good fortune to go back someday.

If you have children and want a resort that's peaceful yet welcoming of children, this is the place for you. It's not a loud, partying, kids-club type place (we didn't want this), but if your child is content to splash in the pool then you will be very happy here."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of May 2007

The only place to relax

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"It was a great to spend our Easter Holiday at the Elounda Gulf Villas! And it was not the first time there.
The villa was more than great! The decoration was once again very tasteful. The place does not feel like a hotel, but like the home i wish i could have. The views over the gulf are amazing and the service was once again more than perfect!
They are soooooo nice there.
I found the review below a bit strange. Our villa was super private! We have been there 3 times, once with our baby too, and the villas were always private, also differently decorated too! It is so nice going back to a different one every time.
I relax there more than anywhere else in the world.
The pool is also super and even though the big pool of the resort is available, we always end up swimming in our private one. It has this jet thing too!
We have travelled a lot and i highly recommend Elounda Gulf Villas! Super luxury but nice too. Not snobby or weird.
they make you feel at home, and you want to stay there forever.
I am so glad to have discovered that place!"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2007

lovely place, not a five star though

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Stayed here over the Easter weekend. I'll start with the good bits - Service was fantastic, the staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. the restaurant (argo) really is fabulous - breakfast was wonderful, room service delightful (if simple) and dinner in the restaurant great. the restaurant and bar area are lovely, particularly at night with the candles. now the not so great pieces.....the villa was "ok", it certainly wasn't the one in the brochure. we stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with a pool - the pool was semi private, not totally private (if you walked past outside wall up the hill, halfway along there is a total view of the pool). there was another terrace above one of the bedrooms and a pool room underneath, it was very noisy. they also parked the club cars outside. we stayed in a villa called erofili - i would check that you don't stay in that particularl villa. the view from the restaurant/comunal pool area is totally spoilt by a very unattractive building and a road. the spa treatments are amateur - not particularly to be recommended. most importantly, right next door is a big building site which is VERY noisy. given the very high standard of service at this place, it was surprisingly disappointing that they hadn't mentioned this - this coupled with the people upstairs, the pool control room and the club cars certainly didn't make this the peaceful break we had hoped for! would rate this place as a 4star - as long as that's was you want you will enjoy it. i won't go back but it was far from terrible"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Best bet on Crete!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I stayed at the Elounda Gulf Villa Resort in September, and let me tell you, I will go back!
Besides the sheer beauty of the resort's grounds, I was absolutely blown away by the service! I will admit, when I travel I like to pamper myself: I like a spa, great views and chef prepared meals. The villa I stayed at with my partner was equipped with it's own exercise room, hammam and steam room. Just steps away was the resort's restaurant which featured a fantastic chef and attentive barman. One of my favorite evenings was a "theme" night which featured typical Creton music and cuisine....my partner and I had a great time with the dancers and a few bottles of wine!
What impressed me the most was the service that was extended to us: we arrived very late and tired from the Heraklion airport to a warm greeting, refreshments and a seemless check-in. We chatted with the reception staff about day trip activities while our bags were wisked away. When we arrived at the villa itself the resort manager, Yannis, gave us some great meal suggestions and we enjoyed a mid-night dinner pool side in our bathrobes and slippers.
Highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Thu 25th of January 2007

Fantastic Private Retreat

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We stayed in one of the new Spa Villasfor ten nights in early September. Loved it. The pool was stunning as was the view. The villa was well conceived - plenty of room, good gym equipment, good sauna. Staff are fantastic and it does feel like a family run hotel and not a chain.

It is not in the village and I agree with an earlier review that the area isn't all that amazing. We have booked again for next year on the basis that we have little intention of leaving the villa!"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of November 2006

Fantastic place, but shame about the area

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We chose this property as it was our first trip abroad with our baby and we wanted every amenity to make life as easy as possible. We were certainly not disappointed. We stayed in one of the new spa villas and it was wonderful. Worth a particular mention were the amazing view, the pool and terrace, and the great in-villa gym and spa facilities. The beds were really comfy too. All the staff were so very helpful, even supplying us with a steraliser for the baby’s bottles. The food in the restaurant was of a very high standard and having room service was a particular benefit with a baby in tow! Nothing was too much trouble and they even organised a cake for my husband’s birthday.
HOWEVER, the one disappointment was Elounda itself – I agree with other reviewers that it was tacky and tatty – which was a real shock bearing in mind some of the best hotels on the island are located there. You will need to travel further afield to find the real Crete. The bay and the views were however some of the best I have seen in Greece."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of October 2006

Beautiful Boutique Hotel

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I travel to Greece every summer and have stayed at some of the best Resorts throughout Greece and Europe. When I decided to stay in Elounda Crete for my Honeymoon, everyone I spoke to said, WOW, Elounda is beautiful; you are going to love it!
Surprisingly, the town of Elounda has absolutely nothing. Only cheap taverns, below average cafés, lousy souvenir shops and a small pitiful beach.
The way everyone spoke about Elounda, you would think it’s the “Monte Carlo” of Greece.
The Elounda Gulf Villas was a beautiful small boutique hotel and our Superior Spa Villa was definitely first class. I have no complaints about this Hotel and I would highly recommend it for people who are looking for a completely secluded vacation from the rest of the world.
However, if you are planning on venturing outside the hotel grounds (day or night) searching for a fine restaurant or bar don’t waste your time.
Bottom line: Elounda is a resort town, not an about town area. Had I known this earlier, I probably would have opted to stay at a super large resort like "Elounda Beach Hotel""

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Bliss!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"After reading a recent review on the EGVs we were really concerned about our booking as we had paid a considerable deposit and this particular review was incredibly scathing and was supported by photographs. We were so concerned that we wrote to the owner and asked for their comments on the review.

They were reassuring and gave us their personal guarantee that we would be more than satisfied with our Executive Spa Villa!

Even so, we had nagging doubts but as we had paid a deposit we decided that we had no choice but to go.

And how glad we were that we did!! Our villa was absolutely amazing with a fantastic view of the bay. The villa was furnished beautifully, with its own sauna, steam room and gym.

The staff were also fantastic, particulalrly in the restaurant - Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were always pleasant. The food was also of a high standard.

We are so glad that we ignored the review - we did this because we had no choice as a deposit had been paid. Had we not paid a deposit we wouldn't have booked the accommodation - which goes to show, how misleading reviews can sometimes be. In its defence though we would comment that the villas/suites lower down in the complex may well have inferior views as there is a hotel in front of the EGVs. So it may be worth checking that you have one of the elevated villas to avoid this problem!

Our only gripe was the lack of presence from the owners, particulalry after writing to them with our concerns prior to our holiday. They were briefly around but I didn't see them talk to any guests. We were also promised that they would show us other villas in the complex when there, which didn't happen. If you don't intend to follow something through - don't say you'll do it!!Their 'hands off' approach in such a small complex was rather disappointing as we choose smaller hotels/villas because we expect the personal approach!! However, the villa was so fab, it wouldn't stop us going back."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006