Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas

GIVE IT A MISS

Reviewed Fri 25th of October 2013

"Overpriced, outdated, rooms we stayed in look nothing like the pictures on their website (see pictures). Food was terrible, ok for dog food, service wasn't much better. 1 star rating at best. very disappointing!!! "

• Travel date: Fri 18th of October 2013

It's just simply too overpriced!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Many friends have been to this terrific location and come back with fond memories of a superb time. The hotel is simply an institution with a high return rate. A village of Villas surrounding a top class hotel. But - they are spoiling it by overpricing the food and beverages to a point where........they are taking the michael! A gin&t and a mineral water is 17 euros at the bar, a can of Coke from the mini bar is nearly 5 euros!"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of May 2009

An expensive nightmare - avoid

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I stayed here in the first two weeks of August with my two girls who were 6 and 8. The room was a disgrace. Old mouldy tiny and despite paying £ 800 a night had a tiny double bed and a wooden slatted pull out sofa. the next morning I complained and was offered a slightly bigger room for double the money. I suffered 14 miserable nights on their cheap nasty beds complaining frequently to no avail.

The prices for everything in the hotel are extortionate and devoid of any value for the guest who has little choice but to pay. The half board restaurant was very average and repetitive. The children were pretty much offered spaghetti and chips for 14 consecutive days.

The water sports were triple the cost of anything I have ever come across.

The costs of the drinks ice cream etc were well over a £ 1000 for one adult and two small children.

I have stayed at better family hotels for a quarter of the cost."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of May 2009

Lovely location for a relaxing holiday

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We were there on a half board basis in April. Out of season, no crowds, no groups, not many people, wonderful room with balcony looking out over the garden and the sea beyond. The bath robes were the best we have used! The food was excellent and the menu changed daily. The staff on the activities desk were superb and gave us maps and information. We had a problem with the air conditioning on our first night as the system is central and still had the heating on during our first night and we had to get our tour operator rep to ring the management to get them to change it to cool. Elounta village is a 25 minute walk and worth a visit. We had a meal at one of shore side cafes which was lovely - although I imagine in the high season it would be full. Every where else we took a taxi. Maybe because we went low season, unlike some other reviewers I think the value for money was good."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of May 2009

Chasing exclusivity by raising prices

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Having stayed at the Elounda Beach Hotel about six times in the last ten years and having also stayed in both hotels which are situated on either side of it, we have observed a gradual decline in room occupancy at the Elounda Beach. It would appear that the management policy to seek a higher and higher financed clientele has simply led to very low occupancy levels outside of July and August.

We have stayed in the hotel in all of these months and most recently have observed that the waterfront bungalows and suites now appear to be almost deserted by September. We have earlier memories of guests enjoying room service on the paved area in front of their bungalows beside the sea. This paved area at that time was being well maintained with ladder rungs cleaned of algae and breaks in the paving properly repaired. Last year this area was left uncared for and few umbrellas were occupied, suggesting that waterfront room prices had risen above the levels that most guests visiting the hotel were willing to pay. At the prices charged it is expected that the highest maintenance standards will be observed. Sadly there seems to be an approach that they will charge but that the guest should overlook these shortcomings. Of course I am sure that I would be told that you can ask for the ladders, advertised for the use of waterfront guests to enter the sea, to be repaired and for the algae to be cleaned off them and also ask for the paving, which has suffered subsidence, to be restored. We do not go on holiday to have to enter into that sort of discussion, so one observes and goes away.

This hotel has so much going for it that it is simply sad that there is this lack of empathy with the client. It is apparent in so many ways: the brochure has some fundamental misuses of English which the cost of employing a competent English speaker as an editor would overcome, the guest relations staff answer emails in English without the understanding of the nuances of the language and there is now a distinct feeling that unless one has limitless resources and is likely to stay in one of the new yachting club villas, this may not be the place for you. In addition the recent increase in strength of the Euro has made further hikes in the prices for wine and food completely unrealistic.

Unless the hotel can attract exceptionally high spenders in these times of economic recession, price rises will destroy a great place. A hotel with very noticeably low occupancy loses much of its ambiance so that when one wishes to leave private accommodation, bars and restaurants no longer offer the buzz of activity expected in a hotel of this quality.

Elounda Beach has an excellent location. There is a loyal staff built up over many years who take the trouble to get to know the guests and a great tradition of hospitality. Hence the very high number of guests who want to return. I very much hope that management will rethink their pricing policy and set prices to encourage middle ranking guests to return as well as encouraging the elite. Indeed many elite are also very cost conscious. In real terms the hotel should be aware that no accommodation in this hotel is cheap and that all guests do have expectations of value for money and good service."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of May 2009

Trouble in paradise

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Another Easter at Elounda beach, another fantastic stay. However, I feel I need to point out a few things that simply undermine Elounda beach's position as a top notch hotel. Firstly, the service: always friendly and polite, however, it is unacceptable for a hotel of this class to have foreign trainees deal directly with customer requests. I called housekeeping to ask for an extra hair-dryer and the girl's Greek was so bad that she understood I wanted shampoo! I believe businesses at THIS LEVEL should employ people whose Greek is competent. I had to explain in English which I find particularly disconcerting as a Greek guest staying at a Greek hotel. It was the same story at breakfast with foreign trainees failing to understand my 5 year old when he asked for a spoon.

The second point is the sore story of the EB's pricing policy. The 'mousaka index' (see previous review) is evidence of the unsympathetic attitude the hotel shows towards guests: the mousaka dish at the 'Kafenion' restaurant is now 25 euros. At a time when all businesses try to attract customers by lowering their prices and making offers, what's EB's reaction to the recession? A totally unjustified hike in prices.

Apart from the above, the same magical place. If you find yourself at the Elounda Beach seat underneath the huge carob tree at the square between the Kafenion and Dionysus restaurants. This is really an enchanted place. So much so, that it might make you forget you are paying 25 Euros for a so-so mousaka."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of April 2009

A fabulous get away

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"I have been back just over 5 weeks and I am still smiling. As a sole lady traveller who spends 5 nights a week away from home on business, it's fair to stay that a hotel has to live up to very high standards if its to impress....and this certainly did. From the moment I arrived, I was looked after like a princess without being made to feel self conscious that I was on my own. The room was stylish and comfortable (sofa and arm chair) and filled with the touches that make you start to unwind; dvd and cd player, jacuzzi bath, 2 sets of dressing gowns (no not just his and hers) but thick and fluffy for cool nights, and soft cotton for during the day, egyptian cotton bedding, a shower that turns into a steam room..... The location was beautiful too; I took to spending my days by the sea, watching dolphins and then in the afternoon, curling up with a good book/dozing in a small courtyard complete with chapel and huge padded chairs placed under trees to keep off the afternoon breeze. And then off to the gym, which is small but certainly adequate and the daily classes were a great motivator. As other reviewers have mentioned, even with the location, the staff are what really make this hotel. Nothing is too much trouble and everything is done with a smile.
The only thing I can fault it on is the prices which are steep to say the least. The spa for example is simply breathtaking but the cost of the treatments will leave you breathless! They don't mentioned that you have to pay for the gym (a 7 day package works out best) and yes the drinks are dear too. But hey if that's all there is to complain about...... Id certainly go back.
ps and can highly recommend Spingalonga - though read The Island by Victoria Hislop first."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of November 2008

First class service, and beautiful location.

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"Having previously self catered at nearby Spinalonga Village,we decided to return to this area which we liked, and chose this hotel somewhat randomly, and what an excellent choice it turned out to be.The location is stunning, and the hotel grounds beautifully maintained.While we were unlucky with the weather,as a keen swimmer I was happy to swim in the most inviting and attractive hotel pools, (as well as the sea), even in the last week of October, and there was no sense of the hotel about to close for the season.The staff could not have been more helpful, no detail was too much trouble for them, and we have rarely been looked after so well.The food was excellent, both in the main restaurant, and the two more exclusive ones, and while we would normally hunt for gourmet eating places wherever we travel,(such as The Ferryman in Elounda itself), we were very happy to eat at the hotel.Our accommodation was of a very high standard, with all the extras we would wish for, and also serviced to the same high standard.We can thoroughly recommend this hotel to discerning travellers, and will certainly be back ourselves, but perhaps at the end of September, preferring the less well developed Greek islands for our other holidays.The brochures do specify that this hotel is not recommended for those with significant mobility problems, as the location is hilly, and there are a fair number of steps down to the sea itself.There is a local bus from the hotel front door to both Elounda and Agios Nikolias, but unfortunately it only runs in the morning(or did in October).John and Ann Sinclair, Milngavie, Glasgow."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of November 2008

I wish somebody had told me

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a week at the Elouanda Beach Hotel.

The actual location , amenities and treatment afforded by the hotel staff is of a very high calibre and is what you should expect from a 5 star hotel.

What you should watch out for is the extortionate price of all extra items !

For example ,water sports ,.A 15min ride on a jet ski is a little under £50. A short ride for a family of four on an inflatable is £100.

With beer at £4 for a small bottle , you will be astounded at what your extras will total for a family!

A boat trip down the bay organised by the hotel to Spinga longa will set you back nearly £200 for the family.

If you are looking to be fully active and enjoy what the hotel has to offer , bring a very well funded credit card!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of June 2008

Great Scenic Place, Great Staff, Great Service

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We stayed at the hotel for 10 days and it was the most wonderful experience ever. The scenic ocean and montain view from our room was breath taking. They upgraded us because we were on our honeymoon to an exquisite room. The staff was the best, especially the ladies from the housekeeping department. Every single day we were there, we were served by the same waiter for breakfast and dinner, who was also very polite. Since we went right before the busy season, it was nice, quiet, and tranquil, just like we wanted. The beaches were nice but very minimal and the water very cold. Just a few things I didn't like but were definitely not enough to supercede the perfect experience. The pools contain salt water. It was clean but personally, I don't like salt water. It wasn't heated at all, very cold. The first 2 days were there, we kept our balcony door open because the weather was wonderful. But our room was ravaged with mosquitos. They weren't visible, but when we woke up each morning, we had new mosquito bites on our bodies. However, the housekeeping department was very kind and gave us 2 plug in vapor bug repellants for our room. The food was wonderful and very fancy, and we requested everything well done, even the fois gras. The breaksfast each morning was plentiful, containing any breakfast item you can think of and more. Room service was very expensive, such as 4 egg rolls for 20 euros or a cup of coffee for 4 euros. But the people, the area, the views were so exquisite, you begin to not care about these little things. I will definitely be going back."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of May 2008

A Perfect 40th gift

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"our stay at the Elounda Beach was a gift from the wife for my 40th b'day & i couldn't have wished for a better holiday. we stayed in the newly built imperial building in a luxury room with balcony garden view, the room was flawless & was maintained twice a day by the outstanding house-keeping ladies....infact the entire staffing team were amazing with special mention to Mr.Lassis & Manolis (waiting staff). nothing was too much for any of them & after just a few days it seemed as though we'd all been friends for ages. we stayed as part of a half-board package & i've got to say the food was out of this world, every single day. yes, the drinks & snacks outside of the package were expensive to the point of outragous - thankfully i don't drink wine !!!...needless to say we spent most evenings walking into the main village for a coffee/beer which served as good excercise too after such an amazing evening meal. my only gripe would be that coffee/tea should have been included with the evening meal & a likewise facility available in the room....come late evening & wanting a coffee meant spending €10...very hard to swallow..
would we return to the hotel ? - in a heartbeat. a blissful fortnight spent in beautiful surroundings. a shame we only got chatting to fellow guests on the last few days but then there wasn't too many brits' there at the time.
if your after a relaxing holiday without the noise of nightclubs & kids then Elounda is a place well worth checking out. the food both in & out of the hotel was fantastic as too the service. checkout Manos at the Eden bar in the village & Paris at Greece is Art & if hungry then you cannot go wrong at either Poulis or Megado on the harbour front......
we cannot wait to return.....Mr & Mrs.Chapman"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of May 2008

Hotels near Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas

Top traveller tips for Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas

• DV by DV

"Best Tip - Avoid it and book another hotel "

Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas is also called