Miramare Resort & Spa

Gargadoros, Agios Nikolaos, Crete 721 00 Greece

Far from 3-star

"My wife and I - perhaps a bit naively - chose the Miramare “3-star” for our honeymoon. 4-star was fully booked and choices were few. Some good and bad points with this "hotel".
ROOM: definitely not romantic, and definitely not 3-star! We had separate beds - despite the fact that the travel agent said she would notify the hotel that this was a honeymoon trip! The electricity conked out on the first night - we moved room at 12:30 AM- no apologies. Only one of the two "bathroom" towels was changed (once!) all week, and we had to insist to get even this. I've stayed in 3-stars before (us, canada, uk...) and this is far from the mark. No TV in first room, no coffee-making facilities in either. Not much hot water. Not very clean. Room a bit rustic (old sheets, pillows, pillowcases with holes...), and dated (bathroom window is a mesh, with a hole filled in by a tissue). AC worked well.
HOTEL COMPLEX: We didn't mind the steps too much, but be careful with small kids, elderly, etc. Nice setting, nice sea and mountain views, with three pools - water seemed to be very cold though. Perhaps not heated. Very few working parasols at the pools.
FOOD: Not bad at all. Good choice, and friendly, helpful service. Some really nice dishes for breakfast and dinner.
LOCATION: We liked this aspect - Agios N. is walkable (be careful on the road: cars, parked cars, scooters, and walkers share the same space!) or 5 euros by taxi. Nice town, with port, lake, lots of stores and bars to explore.
BEACH: About 600 yards/ten mins walk. Nice enough. Worth renting a car and finding a more sheltered beach for a day or two – especially if it's windy. There's a small stony beach in front of the "3-star" part of the hotel - nice enough too.
OVERALL: Good location and food saved the day, good memories, but definitely not 3-star standard. Could be good fun depending on your tastes, perhaps worth trying the “4-star”? You are definitely not pampered here. Nice food & location, but basic (almost hostel-like) accommodation."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of July 2006

Worst Hotel I Ever Stayed

"The location of the hotel is beautiful and its proximity to the sea are the only advantages this hotel offers. The food variety was decent. But the rest was terrible. Due to the Palace of Knossos-like labyrinth stairwells to get from the main lobby/dining area to one's room, this hotel is not for the elderly or those with walking issues. I had to bring a flashlight with me at night because the stairwells were poorly lit. The bathroom window looked like a prison cell because it was where they didn't add a few concrete slabs to fill the wall and it had a chicken coop mesh for a screen. There was no shampoo or conditioner for amenities, just a soap bar, plastic cups and two towels. On my first night, I was locked inside the bathroom because the door handle was broken. My husband couldn't call the front desk because the phone didn't work (no dial tone). So he had to jog up the stairwells to complain and have someone get me out. The hotel staff had the temerity to try to blame me for breaking the bathroom door because I tried using the lock to lock it. We complained several times to get our phone fixed because we had a friend who was put up at a different corner of the sprawling hotel that we'd like to call to meet up for breakfast & so on, but we were only told straight-faced lies by the staff who never fixed our phone for our entire two-week stay. Had I not paid in advance for the all-inclusive package tour, I would have left the hotel on the first night. Also, the hotel is located beside an uphill road where Greek teenagers love to cruise and have drag races in their clunky, old Vespas for the entire night. Of course, the hotel did nothing to discourage this."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006

Enjoyable lack of perfection

Good

"We stayed at Agios Nicolaos Miramare hotel 22/9-6/10/2005. A perfect location at the beautiful Mirabello Bay; the vieuws from our room with sight on the bay were just great. Walking distance to the town centre. A quite positive experience if you like and enjoy typical Greek lack of perfection.. if back in the area, we book the hotel again!"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of November 2005

Keeps you fit!!

Good

"Myself and my partner have just go back from the Miramare and I was pleased to find that it lived up to my expectations having read the positive reviews on here.

I had a slightly different situation to other guests as the travel agent I booked the holiday through did not book us into the hotel, but into the village that consists of numerous appartments dotted around the slopes of the hotel away from the main complex. The room we had was on first instincts not a 4* hotel, however, as the holiday went on the surroundings were far more pleasing and the fact that there is a TV, fridge and air-con in quite a spacious room meant we were happy. On top of that, there are 3 pools which we ween with our pool never mobbed or with boozed up brits dive bombing like there was no tomorrow!!

We counted 85 steps from where we were located up to the reception area which means I now have the legs of an olympic sprinter!! The hotel facilites are excellent and the staff were very helpful an pleasant at all times. The food in the resturant obviously tries to cater for all tastes as it is mainly German, French and Spanish voices we heard when we were there which in my opinion tends to be a good sign! I don't have the most varied tastes so went for the safe dishes that I knew I would like but my partner was delighted and thought the choice was great.

Its about a 20 minute walk into Ag Nic and the cemetary is far from creepy, the graves are obviously looked after and candles can be seen every night although the walls block it out apart from where there are gates.

I would reccommend this hotel to to anyone who wants a nice relaxing time but before booking find out exactly where your room is and try to get as close to the hotel as possible.

Enjoy!!"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of October 2005

We recommend the Miramare

"We just returned from a week at the Miramare. 2 adults 3 kids (13,11 and 7)
Short transfer (1 hour) from Heraklion by coach was good. As others have said hotel is built on a hill side overlooking the large bay, so the views from all points are impressive. I've attached a panoramic shot from our balcony. Our room was a decent size with twin beds pushed together, which didn't work that well because of the bed frames – but we normally too tired/inebriated to care. The Mattresses were a bit lumpy but that was soon overcome with a couple of blankets. Our aircon worked well giving tight control, via a remote, to 1 deg C. Daily maid service kept the rooms well cleaned. Pool area offered good shade, via bamboo topped pergola and was never over-crowded. Food was excellent with massive choice for breakfast and evening meal (We could only manage a bag of crisps/chocky bar for lunch). Evening meal selection included the usual extensive choice of salads and other cold dishes, plus 3 types of cooked meat and 2 hot fish dishes daily. Good vegetable selection, not over cooked. High Italian contingent in the hotel were catered for with a couple of hot pasta dishes/day. Also lots of bread, cheese, fresh fruit and fattening desserts available. Bar prices are quite high, but the hotel has a shop which sells booze and snacks at high street prices which most people were consuming around the pool and I guess in their rooms (You must assume with the hotel's blessing). A fridge in the room very useful for keeping water and in our case Gin and tonic cold. Lastly we are all into snorkelling (having lived in the Bahamas) and were delighted by the warm, calm, clear sea with abundant life, including a dozen varieties of fish plus octopus, shrimp and crab (if you know where to look). Best I've seen in the med so far. We thought the town is worth missing and anyhow you take your life in you hands trying to walk there because of the lack pavements. Overall an excellent hotel and great spot. We would strongly recommend to anyone who doesn't want to go where the British masses go."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of August 2005

Fantastic holiday

"Just come back from a week at the Hotel Miramare. We were a party of 4 two adults and two teenagers. The hotel was spotless and the staff were friendly and helpful. We asked for two room together and on arrival were asked if a suite would by ok. Of course we said yes and although it was at the top of the hotel and we had lots of stairs to climb it was like staying in the penthouse. The views from our enormous balcony were outsanding, just the place to finish off the day with a bottle of wine, peace and quiet and the sun slowly setting over a beautiful bay. Food, fantastic choice for all nationalities, we tried lots of things, even our youngest who is the fussiest eater out. The hotel had families from all over Europe staying there, I think we were the only English family at the beginning of our week, but we tried our little knowledge of other languages out and so did the other guests, makes you realise how little you remember from school but we all laughed and helped each other. The hotel is built on a hillside so lifts and stairs are needed and the driveway to the hotel is very steep but you cannot get the views from the rooms we had by being on the ground floor. The pool area again was spotless and being at the top of the hotel got all the sun all day. This is a hotel I would recommend to anyone , thanks for a fantastic week"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of August 2005

Enjoyable Stay 2005

Good

"Just returned from the Miramare 23rd May 05, had a nice peaceful holiday, hotel is situated in a quiet hilly location near to two nice beaches one sandy one pebble, yes you have to walk past a cemetry but it is walled in and is very beautiful and lit with oil lamps at night making it a very tranquil and calming place to visit not creepy as one reviewer infers.

The hotel is split over a hillside with lifts to most floors our family enjoyed the walk into town taking around about 20 mins to get to the harbour area but a ride in a taxi costs just 4 euros £3 ish so its cheap.

Hotel staff were all pleasant helpfull and attentive, waiters, reception, maitre d and cleaners were all 1st class, all spoke excellent english amongst other european languages.

Rooms we had were clean and pleasant with basic but functional furniture, Air con (at no extra charge) and a TV showing 1 BBC World channel and many strange and wonderful euro channels! A wall mount radio played greek music if required and a strange magnetic key system to turn lights and aircon off if you left room, sensible I suppose but a previous reviewer had probs with, a wall mount safe was available at 15 euros per week. We sat out on the balcony and admired the charming views across the bay whilst being surrounded by lovely gardens and the odd cat!

The larger of the 2 pools is at the top of the hotel and has a bar and restaurant and free sunbeds and is very pleasant a Cretian night was held here on thursday, we didnt go to it but the music was very nice.

The hotel reception recommended a car hire company who delivered and fetched car without fuss, a hyundai accent with aircon for 120 euros for 3 days.

Bedding in the rooms consists of sheets and blankets, duvets would have been much more comfortable, towels were clean but a little lackng in fabric softener!

Food was good and yes you can get bacon and eggs for breakfast if you want it! along with ham cheese fresh fruit yoghurt, toast and cereal along with a collection of odd (to an english family) selection of other items!
Evening meals were good and we found the selection of meats cheese and fish dishes salads and pastas fine for all tastes, although we felt if you wanted a "special" meal it was best to head into town to one of the many nice restaurants and tavernas.

A small shop in the hotel sells newspapers pop beer sun lotion etc which is useful.

All in all we all enjoyed our holiday at The Miramare and would happily return for another hoilday there."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of May 2005

Great views - dated hotel rooms

"Now, you have to take into consideration that i am Greek and that i stayed in that hotel during the Orthodox Easter with all my family (husband,mother,father,sister,niece,friends...). Rarely does a Greek leave his home in Easter to stay in a hotel! He prefers to stay at home and follow the easter ritual that includes A LOT of food.
This hotel offered traditional food of exceptional taste and countless quantities.
The hotel is situated on a hill so almost every room has fantastic views to the sea or the colourful gardens that surround it.
What i didn't like was the dated rooms with the old furniture and the creaky bed. My family and i had booked the delux rooms and that meant fruits,a bottle of wine,slippers, a bathrobe and everyday clean service.
So during our 4-day stay there i preferred to read my book either at the room balcony or at the hotel's lounge bar with its comfortable couches.
The staff was..unpredictable..to say the least. The barwoman was far from polite and the receptionist was always missing somewhere!!!
When i had some trouble with the system of room-lighting which is activated with the room key, they blatantly ignored me and my father had to come up with a trick so that i could have light in my room!!
The elderly may encounter some trouble reaching their rooms because of the many many steps so ask for a room near the reception, the elevator or the upper parking if u have a car.
Our trip was enjoyable but not due to the hotel services."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of May 2005

We also thought Miramare was great!

"We spent two very enjoyable weeks at the Miramare and would definitely go there again.
The views are spectacular, rooms clean, staff pleasant and helpful and we thought the food choice was excellent. Maybe the breakfast wasn't good for 'English', but there was so much other choice: German, American, French, Greek....! The evening meals also always had a superb choice and the Pasta Chef was brilliant!. Lots of Italians, French, Dutch and Germans staying there, so really felt as though we were abroad.
Lots of steps, but the excercise was needed after all the excellent food. Please don't be 'put off' by first report!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of October 2004

Disappointed

"Disappointed with the quality and variety of the food, which was at best warm
A poor choice of what we would expect to be an English breakfast
Main course for the evening meal ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous - lets face it who likes carrot pie Bugs Bunny perhaps
The hotel was inaccessible by anyone unless they had trained up beforehand to encounter the walk past the dead centre (cemetry - which was very spooky late at night) and cope with the hills
NO hot water at all
and only luke warm water in the evening for a couple of hours
darned bed sheets
Stretches the imagination of what a four **** hotel is"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of August 2004

this was our third visit to this hotel a...

"this was our third visit to this hotel and once again we had another enjoyable stay.the food was excellent and the staff friendly and helpful,one thing we have noticed in our stays here is that british guests do seem to be in the minority! With Agios Nikolaos only a ten minute walk away the hotel is ideally situated and the sea views amazing.The only downside was the lengthy journey by the tour operators coach to and from the airport, i would probably get a taxi next time."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of August 2008

if you want a quiet time,use this hotel,...

"if you want a quiet time,use this hotel, no entertainment. spent more money outside the hotel just for something to do.they dont really know how to do all inclusive very well.on the plus side hotel was very clean and the staff worked hard ps. not a lot f british there."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of July 2008

Hotels near Miramare Resort & Spa

Stayed at Miramare Resort & Spa? Share your insight.

Miramare Resort & Spa is also called