Minos Beach Art hotel

Akti Ilia Sotirchou, Agios Nikolaos, Crete 721 00 Greece

Good

Lived up to our expectations

"After reading several poor reviews for this hotel we were rather nervous about what was in store for us. We had made the booking to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and chose it as it was in the Tomson a la carte brochure. We were not disappointed. The bungalows are dotted among the well kept gardens, none being very far from the sea. Our room was a good size with a separate small dressing area. It was clean, with daily maid service and change of sheets/towels. The bathroom had a great steam/jacuzzi shower. Plenty of towels/beach towels, also bathrobes supplied. We had a waterfront bungalow, quite literally a few steps from the sea with wonderful views. The food was generally of a high standard. Almost anything you could want at the buffet breakfast - the squeeze your own orange juice was especially good. The only gripe was the high price of drinks (7.2 euros for 2 sachets of Nescafe!) But a supermarket just across the road sells water, beer, wine etc at reasonable prices. It is in a good setting with the main town and shops just a 15 minute stroll along the bay. All in all we had a wonderful, relaxing stay and it lived up to all we hoped it would. We definitely recommend it."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of October 2006

Great Hotel

"We stayed one Week in August in this hotel. We had a waterfront bungalow. Great !!!. If you stay there take a waterfront or a VIP bungalow. The food was excellent. Overall great hotel and great stay."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

Fantastic holiday!

Good

"We were anxious about our holiday as we had read so many negative comments about Minos Beach but we had the most lovely holiday with no complaints at all! Minos Beach should be considerd as a Greek five star tourist hotel and not a five star business hotel. All bungalows were clean, modern and well equipped but probably not luxurios. W e stayed in room 75 and the location was lovely, set in very pretty garden grounds. Private beach was very close, very quiet and always sunbeds available dispite the Germans habit of towel draping! The food was always excellent, service also good. Try Maria's toasted sarnies at the pool bar!
Agios Nicolias very pretty and only a 15 minute walk along sea front to centre.
Enjoy this superb hotel and ignore past comments from very fussy people!"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Great holiday

Good

"I spent a week at Minos Beach with my two teenage children. The VIP seafront bungalow was superbly designed with a large open plan bedroom, big bathroom and a well thought out separate dressing room with dressing table. The large terrace looked straight out to sea - so relaxing.

Breakfast was a delight, freshly squeezed orange juice and a very wide selection of cooked and cold options. Half board can be lunch or dinner - mostly we chose lunch which offered a variety of salads from the buffet followed by meat/fish or pasta dishes. The evening meal was also very good but we preferred the short walk into town to one of the many tavernas by the port.

I loved the holiday , great accomodation, very attentive staff and plenty to see and do outside of the hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Oversold accommodation but great food

"We booked a waterfront bungalow and after being walked to the very end of the complex found that we were in possibly the worst accommodation they had (bungalow 96 I think). Rang reception and asked to be moved ... they asked us to ring back in 4 hours!! After considering this offer we rang straight back explaining that we wanted to start our holiday. They switched (upgraded they said) us to a VIP seaview bungalow (bungalow 72). This was a much bigger bungalow, it had a far better bathing area that was shared with 1 other bungalow, but not worthy of 5*. Only 1 window made the bungalow dark, a tiny TV with broken remote control and no volume on 1 of the 2 English speaking channels, fruit not changed daily if uneaten, limited hot water, uncomfortable twin beds stuck together, safe key not automatically provided then €8 for the week. The electricity was powered from the key fob so no air conditioning meant returning to a stuffy room each day. The air conditioning was that you might expect from a 2*apartment.

BUT the food in the Ambrosia restaurant was lovely and the staff here and in the bar were charming and friendly. Breakfast only served until 10am so no lie in but plenty of choice.

Plenty of choice also for bathing ... bungalow reserved loungers (not too comfortable), 2 small beaches and the pool. All were relaxing without too many people.

Would I recommend it ... not for the money. Spend your time and money more wisely at the Residence and Spa in Dubai for real 5*."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of July 2006

A Big No!

"I have just returned from my stay at the Minos Beach hotel in Crete, Greece. It was the WORST vaction of my life! What i could of done with the money wastd on this horror! First, I arrive at the hotel to find out the the room i had already paid for had a power-out! So then, i had to be moved to a smaller room, when i had paid for a larger room! On the second day, the cleaning people had accedently 'missed' my room! Also, throughout my vaction, the staff treated me like I was THEIR staff. Plus, the food in the hotel was so bad that i became sick and had to waste a whole day sitting in bed! Later I found out that they had put mushrooms in my dish, which i had told them i was strictly allergic to! The beach was dirty, and the pool was as well. Plus, the place was built in 1962! They recently 'renewed' it. I would rather call it 'reruined'. I will DEFENITLY not be returning to this place they call a hotel!"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of June 2006

What a great experience !!

Good

"We have just returned from Aghios Nikolaos and the Minos Beach Art Hotel. Certainly a place with one of the most attentive friendly service and attention to detail we have ever stayed in the Mediterranean. Our sparkling white Bungalow was a true retreat from the hustle and bustle of the world. We felt extremely relaxed and comfortable."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of April 2005

Repeat visits

Good

"I was very sorry to read of the problems with security encountered at the Minos Beach. We have spent many happy holidays there -all trouble free and with excellent service from everyone - we are going again in early September - our bungalow will be quite close to the area mentioned in the review, so we'll be on our guard this time. The location of this hotel is just magical and very convenient for Aghios, although it is certainly not inexpensive, we have always felt it represents excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of July 2004

Trouble at Minos Beach

"I paid over £3000 to have peace and quiet in a water front apartment The reality was that I was next to a noisy municipal beach with people
constantly walking in from outside unchecked. The lady in the next room had valuables stolen due to poor security whilst locals used the hotel facilities. Everyone around us complained to the deputy manager who did nothing about it. Eventually I had to move apartments which cost me an additional 800 euros!
Once I had moved the holiday was fabulous but I didn't need four days of hassle. Thanks but no thanks; I will not be going back."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of July 2004

Just returned from yet another wonderful...

"Just returned from yet another wonderful holiday at Minos Beach - our 9th visit, booking for next year.

This really is a wonderful hotel, very quiet and peaceful, it just seems to get better each year, many guests of all nationalities return each year some have been staying there over 20 years.

The hotel is extremely well set out, most rooms are in small bungalows set in wonderful gardens, food is very good and the hotel staff are a credit to the hotel. The hotel is just outside Aghios Nikolaos - about a ten minute walk. There is a small shop just across the road run by Kostas where you can buy bottld water/drinks (the hotel is rather expensive for drinks) and the bar Kri Kri run by Yanis and his family which is only a couple of minutes walk away is a great place for a cooling lunchtime beer.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get away from everything and enjoy a bit of secluded luxury."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

We have just returned from a fabulous ho...

"We have just returned from a fabulous holiday at the Minos Beach Hotel and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

We stayed in one of the VIP waterfront suites and found the hotel and grounds so peaceful and it made such a change from all the noise we had experienced in previous holiday hotels.

The bungalows and suites are brilliant if you like peace and quiet. We went to just relax which was easy to do at this hotel. The linen and towels were changed everyday and the food was excellent. The staff were very cheerful and happy to help.

What more can we say? Try it for yourself you will not be disappointed.

• Travel date: Sun 4th of November 2007

I read very negative reports on this hot...

"I read very negative reports on this hotel so was a little worried I had made the right choice.

However, I could not fault the hotel at all. We booked a waterfront bungalow, which was perfect very clean had everything we needed, there was nothing more relaxing than sitting on the terrace with your feet in the sea.

The food and service was excellent. Although I do feel they do not need both restaurants Ambrosia and Bacchus, same food in served in both, should you want something more intimate you can prebook La Bouillabaisse a la carte.

The grounds were very good and you could always find a quiet corner to relax.

Ag Nik is a steady 20 minute walk away it has a lovely atmosphere, everybody we meet was friendly, and I would return to this hotel again."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of August 2007

Hotels near Minos Beach Art hotel

Stayed at Minos Beach Art hotel? Share your insight.

Minos Beach Art hotel is also called