Lato Hotel

Ammoudi, Agios Nikolaos, Crete 721 00 Greece

Good

a great little hotel

"If you want to go to Agios Nikolaos I can recommend this hotel. A great smaller hotel, very clean, excellent staff and in a good position to go into Ag Nik. I think it would suit older people, couples, singles or people with older children. We met people who go back every year - some twice a year - so it must be good! There is a nice pool, not very big and with no shallow end for small children but kept very clean and with plenty of sunbeds. Jeanette will make you lunch and also comes back in the evening to run the bar, otherwise you can help yourself to drinks and pay at reception.
There are two small supermarkets nearby to get water, drinks etc and some very nice tavernas - Avra, Kri-Kri,Knossos were a few of our favourites.
It took about 20 minutes to walk into Ag Nik - very pleasant walking along near the sea, sometimes having a taxi back - 5 Euros. Some good tavernas were La Strada, Neon and Migomis - didn't eat around the lake as they were a bit too pushy trying to get you in. I can't tell you about the clubs, not my scene, but there are some very nice bars.
The beaches aren't sandy around this coast but the water is very clean, lots of swimming off rocks , but you can find some sandy ones if you go a bit further to the other side of Ag Nik.
Went on two trips, one I can highly recommend was the jeep safari to the Lassithi Plateau - excellent. The other to Knossos was interesting but we spent too long picking up people in other resorts and then dropping them off on the way back. I would recommend you try the bus service, good and cheap, hiring a car was cheap but be very careful driving - saw many accidents - mostly with scooters and quad bikes.
All in all, we enjoyed this holiday very much and will return to Crete again, and will stay in the Hotel Lato"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of October 2005

great

"i have stayed many times at the lato hotel, it is very beautiful, set in the perfect position and the staff are great. the snack bar was wonderful and really cheap too. at nite we spent most of our time in the avra with costa, food was the best around and most of the lato guests were inside too!!!!
there was a great bar to the left of the hotel called the galley which we spent a few nites in too
the roof top garden in town was exellent and we also went to a nice restaurant called la strada!

i would recomend it to anyone coming to agios nicoilas anytime!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of June 2005

The Lato Hotel Uncovered

"We mostly enjoyed our stay here, but feel the other reviews have missed a few relevant details-
1-the hotel is right on a main road-this was not mentioned in the brochure, but there is traffic noise all day and night
2-the soundproofing is awful! We were on the ground floor, and could hear breakfast being setup from 6.30 in the morning, not to mention all our neighbours
3-the pool is VERY small-there is not much space. Any more than 10 people and it feels crowded
4-the nearby beach is also very small, and on the same main road
The hotel staff are mostly excellent, especially when dealing with noisy residents, and the breakfast was good, but don't think i would hurry back. On the plus side, we had a TV, which was not mentioned in the brochure.
If you are looking for a good beach, the best are to be found in nearby Elounda, Amoudarra or Istro, and i would highly recommend the La Strada restaurant(top of stairs past bottomless lake)"

• Travel date: Tue 21st of June 2005

Fantastic!

"I love Crete but the Lato Hotel made it for my partner & I last August 2004. It is extremely clean, in a great location and the staff are very warm and friendly. My partner & I are going back again this year and we cannot wait.

PS. I also recommed the Knossos restaurant just down the road!

Elaine M, Leicester"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of January 2005

Lato - our second home

"I and my husband and our two best friends have holidayed at the Lato since 1999. We feel like family, George and George make us so welcome and ensure we always have our favourite rooms. Jeanette is just the best and looks after our men and their dietary requirements while we lay on our lilos in the pool. Theo is the best greek dancer ever and always performs Rosa for me. The nice thing about going back every year is that you relax from the moment you arrive, not only that you can actually see where your money is going because each year there are improvements and extra facilities in the the rooms. The Lato is very much loved and cared for by all that own her, work in her, and holiday with her. Roll on July 2005!"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of August 2004

Love the Lato

Good

"We loved the Lato so much last year that we are going back this year! The staff are friendly and helpful. Little George is v helpful and enjoys a joke, Big George makes great coffee (even though he hates doing it!), hassling Van for water is funny and Jeanette makes scrummy food for when you don't manage to get up for breakfast buffet. The rooms are good sizes and are kept clean. We are hoping to get the sea views this year. If you don't, ask to go up on the roof to have a look at the gorgeous views.
The pool is ok and the sun terrace is great, apart from the mad, noisy bugs (like loud crickets) in the trees (they stay in the trees!).
We enjoyed the walks into town which set us up for our evening meal and the way home sobered us up!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of July 2004

Love The Lato

"We have stayed at The LATO for the last 4 years, and have always had good Holidays. We meet up with old friends and make new ones. George and his family are excellent hosts. Jeanette also does her bit with excellent snacks and wonderfull cocktails. Every year there is something different to sample!
The hotel is spotless and the gardens are lovely.

Can't wait till September."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of July 2004

lots at the lato

"It was my first time in crete and the Lato Hotel set it all off.The staff are so attentive nothing is a bother ask and you get or it is done.The hotel is clean and very tidy breakfast is continental but you can eat as much as you like.There is a pool side bar and snacks can be purchased there is a beach 2mins away also 20min walk into town. try the Oblisc or the avro resteraunts as you walk into town good portions good prices try the Fluffy Duck Bar run by a brummy cannot wait to go back locals all very friendly like the english 80% speak english.For the ultimate experiance you must hire a car not just to see the most fabulouse sites but to share in the Greek way of driveing and then settle down to some Racki and Oozo"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of May 2004

was cool

"Was a great time at the lato hotel! Was our first time there me and the wife and 2 kids! and was great! ALL untill the nightwatchman started robbing us! Charging us Ect for drinks ect! So if it wasent threw him it would of been brilliant! George the manager is such a kind person and He did sack teh night watch man in the end for stealing! All this is resolved now and security is very tight and i`d go back tommorow!
great hotel and Great area aswell!

Cya soon Lato! I`ll be back!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of January 2004

Home from Home Lato

"I return to the Lato year after year because of the warm welcome visitors recieve from their very first visit.The location is perfect, the staff friendly and the owners George,George and Van can not do enough to make sure your holiday is a happy one."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of July 2003

Hotels near Lato Hotel

Stayed at Lato Hotel? Share your insight.

Lato Hotel is also called