Helios Apartments

Zaharenia Tzanopoulos , Havania , 72100 , Agios Nikolaos , Crete , Greece , Europe

Good

Helios Apartments Still Open Book Direct!

"Helios Apartments are still up and running but you must book direct through Mike on his Email as below.

Contact Details
Email: [--]
Office: [--]
Location: Crete - Agios Nikolaos - Area Havania

I Have stayed at these apartments for the last 8 years - The most relaxing holiday ever with a family run place that treat everyone like (Kings and Queens).
Cant say enough about them!
Just book and i know you will enjoy your holiday - This is the only way to book and is the only way that Helios Apartments can take bookings as no Travel agents are involved.

• Travel date: Wed 8th of July 2009

I am coming to Crete this year with my f...

"I am coming to Crete this year with my fiance. I have been to Helios twice before and it has been amazing. I have noticed a lot of people keep refering big Mic. What they say is true he is a legend. I nearly beat him at pool too.
Going to Hotel Crystal this year as Kosmar have whacked the prices up for Helios this year.
I'm totally going to stop by and see Mic though.

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of February 2008

The best relaxing holiday i've had. D...

"The best relaxing holiday i've had.

Don't go to the Candia bar they put drinks on your bill that you never had!!!!!!!

Michael is the best bar man i've ever seen (at helios bar) he plays a great game of pool....you name it, he can make it and you drink it.

Its a great place to stay just off the town, and the taxi is only 6 euros to the town centre. But buddy up with somebody who's going the same way as you are and half the cost. We did it several times.

The best place to eat here, who also deliver to your apartment, is La Strada. When you're on holiday you always have your favourite restaurant that you want to go back to, this restaurant is that restaurant!

When you read this, trust me, I'm a fussy person about where I stay and where I eat.

A 5 minute walk, even with children, you have 2 beautiful restaurants nearby, so no need to go to the town every night. And the beach is only 10 minutes away too.

This place is the bee's knees.

• Travel date: Sun 17th of February 2008

chani: this was my 1st holiday away by m...

Good

"chani: this was my 1st holiday away by myself and i really enjoyed myself!dassia is a lovely place to go 2!helios was a real nice place v.quiet not good for families with young children.chris was very polite.1 word of warning tho! WATCH OUT FOR THE DOGS!me n my boyfriend got chased home by a dog and it bit him.(nearly)there huge lol. was a reali good holiday though!! oooo i recommened goin to the random fruit stall around the corner :) chow 4 now!!luv chantelle n Mark"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

We had a wonderful holiday at the Helios...

"We had a wonderful holiday at the Helios Apartments. Michael and Arenya are lovely. Arenya makes very scrummy (and cheap) food, also manning the reception during the day and Michael is the perfect host in the evenings at the pool bar, he is very pleasant and great fun too. (I think we all had a bit of a crush on him after a while).

The apartments were spotless and the sea views were fantastic from every balcony. Gardens were nicely kept with fruit trees (pomegranates & figs) and flowers everywhere. The pool was a little cool, but much needed in those temperatures! The atmosphere of these apartments makes everyone want to be friendly and we (the guests) had some great evenings together by the pool bar.

The nearest beach is just 10 minutes walk way (down hill) and very picturesque, although a little bit pebbly as you enter the water. The beach bar also provides some low-cost and very tasty meals. Only draw back is that you have to walk back up to the apartments from there and then up the steps (phew!).

We agree that the Elotia is a very good place to eat (and so close by) as is Olga across the road from Elotia. However, once we had eaten at La Strada (in Ag Nik) who actually pay for your taxi there themselves, we had to return to it again and again.....it is excellent! We also visited Neon, which was over-priced and nothing special, although the view is nice from there. Many delicious lunches were had in various seaside restaurants sampling local delicacies and drinking the local rose wine. Lovely views from everywhere we went.

Went on the boat trip (from Ag Nik Harbour) to Spinalonga. This was thoroughly enjoyable and so cheap at just 8 Euros. Buses were cheap and a taxi from the apartments to central Ag Nik was just 6 Euros.

In short, Helios is well worth a visit.

• Travel date: Tue 18th of September 2007

My wife and I have spent two weeks in t...

" My wife and I have spent two weeks in the Helios for the last two July's. Having read some of the comments from people who had a holiday there in earlier years, I thought I should comment on our experiences over the two years.

Plenty of sun beds to go round if sense prevails. i.e. Asked an English gentleman this year if he really needed the 7 sun beds for his family 3 of whom were away to Corfu Town for the day and the 2 older members of the family sat in the shade of the trees all day. The next day they used 2 sun beds.

Road is busy and dangerous if you go on it, but we were taught at school not to do that without looking; At 54 years old now this trick not known to many, has worked for my wife and I regardless of what country we are in, rarely have we seen vehicles mount the pavement.

The apartments are spotless and Chris the owner could not be nicer. Nothing is too much trouble to him. His family are also charming and smile and wave when ever they see you.

Bus service is a white knuckle ride but quite fun and very cheap; they are also very regular, every 30 minutes to Govia/ Kontokali/ Corfu Town, 5 past and 25 to the hour.

We have had two great years in this lovely place and intend to return without question. The beach at Dassia is rocky, but wear plastic sandals till you get in the water, where it is all golden sand about 5 metres in.

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

A really lovely place to stay! Beautifu...

Good

"A really lovely place to stay! Beautiful sea views and very relaxing. Me and my boyfriend have never been to Crete before but would recommend going there as it has a very friendly atmosphere and you can make the holiday as lively or as relaxing as you wish.

To get into the centre of Ag Nik you can either get a taxi ( a very posh Mercedes ) for about 6 euros or the local bus which stops right outside. In the town there are lots of lovely restaurants and on our last evening we found a wicked bar called Sorrento which we really recommend!
Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of July 2007

Hi just got back from the Helios Apartme...

"Hi just got back from the Helios Apartments had a great holiday, weather was great. Michael will try and make your stay as good as he can. The apartments are very large and you will need the air conditioning as it is roasting all the time. The pool is very deep but very clean as is the whole place. When my family were in Crete we met Keith the bald headed man from Scotland he is a lot of fun he goes there every year in June. We ate out every night, the best restaurant is the Kri Kri. They are very good for prices. For 5 of us it was about 50 euros. Also go across the water from the Kri Kri to the Spillia and Cave for dinner and drinks or just go to next door to the Kri Kri to the gallery for a free pool table and a bowl of nuts and good entertainment.

Overall we had a great time in Crete all thanks to Michael and family.

I would recommend this holiday to anyone.

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

Wow, what a holiday! My boyfriend and I...

"Wow, what a holiday! My boyfriend and I were looking for a nice quiet out of the way holiday and we got one; not too far away from everything and yet not too close as to be constantly annoyed by the noise. So let’s start at the beginning.

We arrived at the apartments at 3 in the morning from Glasgow, were shown straight to our room and settled in for a little sleep before starting the relax therapy. Woke up to an amazing view which was totally unexpected, sea view and due to the apartments being high up, we could see for miles over the sea and the surrounding mountains.

The Helios Apartments are set almost in a little cove, surrounded by the mountains on three sides and by the sea on the other. Due to the apartments being on the side of the hill there are a good few steps leading up to the actual main part of the apartments.

I would say about around three flights of stairs leading up, bearing in mind if you are on the top floors there are another few sets to go, although we never found it hard going as let’s face it, you’re not in a rush anyway your on holiday.

The pool was adequate although rather deep, good enough for a few lilo's and a little dip to cool off. Very clean and well maintained.

Bread delivered everyday for around 80 cents which is handy, the closest supermarket is a minute walk away although we found the best supermarket to be around a ten minute walk away although they do stay open very late so a stroll down in the cool night air doesn't do anyone any harm.

There are three restaurants close by, the best being the Elotia (try the Elotia Lamb) if you’re not up for a walk. If you are up for a walk, around a 30 minute walk towards Agios Nikolas is the Kri Kri. Absolutely brilliant, we ate there three nights out of our weeks holiday.

The average price of the meals was around €40 which included starter, main meal, desert, pint of beer and a jug (half litre) of house wine - €4, yes €4 for so much wine, let’s just say the walk back to the apartments was interesting (and let’s face it girls, the walk will burn off your desert so no need to miss desert!!!)

There are taxi services which we didn't bother taking as the night temperature were ideal to have a nice stroll in, however to walk into Agios Nikolas in the mid day sun would be too much!

There is also a local bus service to Agios Nikolas and to Elounda which only cost us €1.60 for two one way into the centre. Taxi costs around €6 although you could barter with them.

There is a local market in Agios Nikolas on Wednesdays, which is brilliant for little nik naks and especially good for fruit, we got 4 tomatoes for 30 cents, which is around 20p and the they were awesome! There are other things that the tour operators offer of course.

Finally, in holiday was a really good one, the owners are really nice and "Mike" - his adopted English name is a good laugh. Thanks for a good holiday!

P.S. There was none of this getting up at 4 in the morning to snag a sunlounger, plenty to go around!"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of June 2007

After five fab holidays at Helios, we've...

"After five fab holidays at Helios, we've booked again for this year. Michael and Rania are brilliant and always up for a laugh, the only problem we have is that we seem to go when the (Baldy man) or (Bandana man) is there I think they call him Keith.

A beer and wine drinking monster and very dangerous with a water pistol in his hands, however not all things can be perfect and he seems to like the shade a lot, a bit like his character and Rania soon puts him on ice.

As the previous review says, the apartments are spotless and have everything you could need during your stay with unbelievable sea views. The welcome you receive from day one is second to none; it really is like a second home. Rania's breakfast of special omelet is a must try and you will never look back.

Plus great local cuisine known as Elotia is only a 10 minute walk from the apartments.
The best place to have a late drink is at Michael's pool bar, with great drinks and first class hospitality.
I don’t know why I’m telling you all this because it just makes it harder for me to rebook when they are full next time I want to go.

• Travel date: Sun 1st of April 2007

A small friendly family run apartment. T...

Good

"A small friendly family run apartment. Ten minutes walk from Dassia along a busy road but once you get used to it there are many good restaurants to visit, also a good beach with excellent boat trips.

The manager of the apartments Christopher was great, helpful and friendly, there is also a small pool bar that we enjoyed at night after returning home. The pool was clean and plenty of sun beds. The rooms are basic and clean.

We enjoyed our holiday there but not recommended if you have small children in pushchairs or want a lively area."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of October 2006

Just returned from our second holiday at...

"Just returned from our second holiday at the Helios with friends. Michael and his family made us feel so welcome, we had many happy nights at the bar.

Recommend a trip to Elounda, with its beautiful beach, and lovely fish restaurants - especially the floating one! Agios Nikolaos has many lovely places to eat, try the Neon, with its lovely food and beautiful views over the lake.

Would definitely go back again."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of July 2006

Hotels near Helios Apartments

Stayed at Helios Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Helios Apartments

• Leslie Roberts by Leslie Roberts

"A lovely place and friendly people "

• Leslie Roberts by Leslie Roberts

"Elotia Taverna, La Strada, Kri-Kri - The list is endless "