Room

Good

Favorite Hotel of our Honeymoon!!

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"My husband and I travelled to Greece for our honeymoon in May of 2005. We spent two weeks there and visited Athens, Mykonos, Hydra, Santorini and spent 6 days on Crete. After EXTENSIVE research into hotels, we decided to try and save some money by staying in a less expensive hotel during our stay on Crete, and based on the reviews here and elsewhere online, settled on the Ammos hotel. This was far and away the best decision of our honeymoon!! The hotel's location is beautiful, right on a clean sandy beach, and a short taxi ride to Chania, a wonderful town with a beautiful harbor. I cannot say enough about the hotel manager, Nikolas, he could not have been more helpful, both via email prior to the trip and during our stay there. The room was clean, and very stylish and comfortable, and we really enjoyed spending our evenings relaxing on our balcony overlooking the sunset. The food at the hotel was amazing, we ate there several nights, and the staff was very engaging and friendly, and quite talented. The homemade Raki was very tasty, and we ended up bringing a bottle home with us, along with a bottle of the chef's homemade olive oil. After the trip was over, my husband and I both agreed that we enjoyed our stay at the Ammos hotel more than any other of our trip, despite the fact that the other hotels were far more expensive. In Athens we stayed at the Grand Bretagne, and on Santorini we stayed at the Art Maisons Aspaki (endless blue suite). The Ammos hotel was less than a third of the cost of the other two, but the hotels charm and location, along with the extremely friendly and helpful staff made our stay there more memorable than any other during our honeymoon. We plan on returning to Crete soon for a vacation, and will DEFINITELY return to the Ammos hotel!!!"

• Travel date: 25th April 2006

Best part of our honeymoon

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"While searching for a hotel to stay during our honeymoon, we emailed a few hotels in and around Chania. It was Nikos'(the proprietor's) friendly and engaging (email) responses that made us choose Ammos, and we're so happy we did, it's the perfect place to stay! The look of the hotel is very hip, but the vibe is warm and welcoming. It's ideally located on the beach with a short bus/taxi ride into town. Nikos really took the time to listen to what we were interested in doing and seeing before suggesting an itinerary suited to our likes and needs. He's very passionate and knowledgeable about the island and recommended sights and restaurants we never would have found on our own (he even recommended restuarants and bars in Athens, which again, were a testament to his great taste). I should also comment on how lovely (and helpful) the rest of the staff is, especially Nectarina, who helped organize our travel from Santorini."

• Travel date: 14th March 2006

felt like a queen!! amazing beach..really good food

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"I am a travel and food journalist, and my experience with Ammos hotel has written the most in my brain diary. I felt like a queen, in a small design resort just on a sandy beach. Undernith the warmest sun and having greek coffee with homemade bread and cheese. loved it! thank you for all those nice memories!!"

• Travel date: 1st February 2006

Great location, hotel and staff

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"The Ammos is an extremely well run and friendly hotel in a great location being right on the beach in a quiet bay. Its also a great place to base yourself for trips around the western part of the island. You are made to feel at home very quickly due to the warmth of the service provided. The food is excellent, particularly the local dishes and wines. Can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2006

An enjoyable stay at the Ammos Hotel

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"I booked the hotel directly with the manager via e-mail. His friendly, helpful tone in the e-mails definitely carried over to meeting him in person. We had a wonderful stay at the Ammos. We had a seaview room and could hear the waves crashing all night. The view from our room was gorgeous and we were literally only steps from the beach. Nikos, the manager, was great. My husband I wanted to go hike the Samaria Gorge. Nikos wasn't sure if it was still open. Within 15 or so minutes of our arrival -- he had called to find out if the trail was open and booked a cab to get us to the bus station the next morning for a bus to the trailhead. We especially loved the Ammos because of the onsite parking. We had originally planned to stay in old town Chania, but we knew parking would be very tight, so opted to stay outside Chania instead. It was a great choice. We were only minutes away from old town Chania and we still got to enjoy the beach too. Thumbs up for the Ammos Hotel!"

• Travel date: 30th November 2005

Friendly + Ideal Location

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Its a dream location -directly on a sandy beach and an easy (and cheap) trip to Chania by bus or taxi.The beach is very clean and the water warm enough for long swims even at the end of October.The hotel staff are super friendly.The rooms are relatively large and very clean.I would definitely recommend this hotel. Downsides to be aware of are: 1)the building site next door - disappointing they were working all weekend .I expect this will be complete over winter so shouldn't be a problem for next season. 2)The nearby busy road which is loud if you're not a deep sleeper.(Note it annoyed 2 out of 4 of us ie the light sleepers only).It wasn't at all noticeable during the day."

• Travel date: 21st November 2005

Best choice in Crete!!!!

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"I was at ammos hotel at the end of octomber for 5 nights , actually i left on the last day of their season, together with my partner. I found ammos via tripadvisor and i couldnt have been happier for my choice. Everything was impeccable and everybody working there have been always smiling and service minded. I also enjoyed a lot the old city of chania, which due to the late season, was not busy at all and very atmospheric. I followed Nico's, the owner of ammos, suggestions and they all were great. Most of all i found tremendously beautiful the Aradena gorge and the region of sfakia (1,5 hours drive but really worth it) and the small village of Sfinare with a very good taverna (difficult road, i was very scared when we went). Nico has told us that the day after we left he would start a very big renovation changing everything inside the room and also the reception and the restaurant. We have told him that we didn’t find it necessary since the hotel looked brand new but he showed us the designs of the new rooms and the result looked amazing!! Especially the new bathrooms look so stylish and so modern, very colourful and neat! Normally we never return to the same place but i'm really curious to see what he is up to and i thinkt hat we are coming back if not next year then some time in the future. All in all ammos is a hotel that not only has the best location in town (amazing views from all the sea view rooms, and what a feeling to wake up by the sound of the waves!!!) but also and that is rare to find you feel that people respect you and treat you with genuine care and attention."

• Travel date: 17th November 2005

Ammos Hotel A+

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Just got back from Crete, We loved this hotel. The beach was right out our door, the room was spacious and clean. We had parking, which would have been diificult if we had stayed in Hania. The staff was so nice and helpful. The only drawback was the breakfast, which I thought was skimpy for the extra charge. Overall, a great experience. I wish I had been able to stay longer!"

• Travel date: 22nd October 2005

Exceeded our expectations...

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"Our exploration of the beautiful island of Crete started at the Ammos Hotel in Hania. Nikos was helpful through e-mail weeks before we arrived. We were only able to stay at the Ammos for 2 days and he suggested another inn in the mountains for our 3rd night (Milia stone village) which was spectacular. We enjoyed eating in the hotel restaurant which is out of the ordinary. Even drove back from eastern Crete days later to take another dinner at the hotel. You can't go wrong staying here. Great location on beach, clean, comfortable, friendly and especially knowledgable staff."

• Travel date: 19th October 2005

great hospitality

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"What a nice relaxing , baby friendly hotel! I spend 2 weeks there with my one and a half year old boy and i couldn't have wished for a better place. Ammos's swimming pool is so user firendly especially for young children and their worried mothers!Also the restaurant's food, was exceptionaly good. Timothy my little one loved their mousaka!!! which helped tremendously. The staff have been so friendly and helpfull with all our requests, once right in the middle of the night when we had to look for a doctor for Timothy, and never stop smilling no matter what. We can't wait to go back next year, for more swimming,Cretan food and Ammos's hospitality!!!! Mrs D Von Trap"

• Travel date: 5th September 2005