Brilliant hotel

Reviewed Tue 8th of January 2013

"We had a really good time in Athens and the Athens Gate Hotel was a great place to stay. Really friendly and helpful staff - everything clean and modern - great view from room - lovely breakfasts - very central location, most places within walking distance. Couldn't fault it - do stay there - you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of March 2008

Great Value, Great Hotel

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Really enjoyed our stay at the athens gate hotel. the reception desk was great! they were so friendly and helpful! costos was there during nights and was always friendly and helpful! we stayed here in 4 nights. it was a good experience, a great area, and a great value for the money. the pictures represent the rooms. the location is great. the price is fair. i highly recommend it and im very picking about hotels."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2008

Absolute Gem

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"This hotel was an absolute gem in Athens and made my stay in the City nearly perfect. The staff truly cares about taking care of you. For a reasonable price (around 100euros) I was given an upgraded room with a straight view of the Temple of Zeus. Breakfast is included and you´ll have it with a view of the Parthenon on the rooftop garden.

I was a walk up with no place to stay when I arrived early in the morning. The hotel made sure I had a room right away.

The 3 star rating on this site does not give this hotel justice. This is a legitimate 4 star hotel and deserves it!"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of March 2008

Very Professional

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I must say that this hotel does go out of their way to ensure that their guests feel welcomed and assisted. When I lost my e-ticket, the staff let me to use their computer to print out the new one. And when I was overcharged by a taxi from the hotel and the airport, my husband notified the hotel staff who promptly take matter to the taxi company and guess what? We got the refund back!!!
The Athens Gate Hotel lives up to their reputation described in Tripadvisor. The rooms (we got to stay in 2 different rooms.) are nicely decorated, very clean and comfortable with great view over look the Temple of Olympian Zeus. The location is good too only 15 mins walk to Parliament square where shops and restaurants located. In sum, very good hotel with professional service."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of March 2008

A lovely hotel

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"This is lovely hotel - great rooms with all the comforts you would expect, very friendly and helpful staff and a superb view from the roof garden. Also very well located for all the main sights and the Plaka district.
Only thing to be aware of is the noise of traffic from the rooms facing out to the main road. This is an eight lane boulevard that is going at full tilt 24/7 so if you are light sleepers, as we are, this is likely to keep you awake. However, Athens is a noisy city and I suspect many of the hotels in the centre have the same problem so it is perhaps unfair to be too critical of the Athens Gate. The hotel staff were very helpful in moving us to a quieter room. It's just a pity the refurbishment of the hotel did not include triple rather than just double glazing - without the noise this place would be idyllic."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of March 2008

Awesome Stay

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Great Customer Service. We spent three nights in the Athens Gate Hotel in a "superior room". The staff was helpful and pleasant. The location is super. Easy acess to the Acropolis, Plaka and the Metro. The hotel is located on a busy street and the rooms on the backside are a little quieter. The view from our room was fantastic. Breakfast was great. Nice selection and good service."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

Great Hotel

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed just 2 nights at the hotel but were extremely impressed with the quality and service. Everyone greeted us with a smile! When checking in, we were brought some snacks and water, we were escorted to our room and given a detailed description of how everything works.

The hotel description said it was recently renovated and they weren't kidding! I recommend spending the extra money and getting a 7th floor balcony view. It was amazing. You are within walking distance to the "major" tourist attractions, and the metro is a very short walk away. Getting to the hotel was simple, with only 1 transfer. Great breakfast on the rooftop bar with incredible views all around...The Parthenon, Temple of Olympian Zeus, and basically a 360 degree view of the city. The bed was comfortable for those of us that like firm mattresses.

It was 5 euros (if I remember right) for 90 mins of internet access. Wifi was available downstairs and at the bar, and they say you need a cable for in your room. I was able to get a wireless signal from my room though, so I didn't use the cable.

The staff were also knowledgeable and helpful for suggestions on where to go and other local things that are less well known, if you want to experience more of the "real" Greece and less of the tourism side.

Overall just an excellent experience, if I return to Athens I will definitely be staying there again."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of February 2008

Awesome Hotel

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Great location with fantastic views from the Hotel. Very friendly and helpful staff who made us feel very welcome."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of February 2008

Willing to go the extra mile

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"What else to say... just a fantastic hotel in the heart of Athens. It doesn't get any more city center than this!

The rooms have been redecorated recently with a lot of style (at least for me) and the views from the room are just fantastic. There is a huge bed, an LCD TV and a very nice bathroom with a big shower (no bathtub).

The staff are just fantastic, from John who really love basketball and with whom I enjoyed watching a game to the rest of the staff. As I say in the title, they are all willing to go the extra mile for you. My internet connection didn't work properly in my room so the hotel manager spent half an hour of his time trying to make it work.

I would go back again and again.

I paid 95 Euros per day which seems to me like a very good price to be right by the Acropolis and breakfast was included.

The only drawback is that there is a lot of traffic in the street and the rooms may be a little noisy (but just a little)."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of February 2008

Excellent Choice

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Great location, nice rooms, and friendly staff made for a memorable four days in Athens.

Easy access from the airport, with one transfer on the subway required. The hotel is just a block or two walk from the Acropolis subway stop.

We stayed on the sixth floor with an Acropolis view. The view was quite nice, although the buildings between the hotel and the Acropolis are not exactly photogenic. The balcony was a welcome bonus, and the double glazed sliding doors meant that traffic noise was minimal. I would have slept through the New Years fireworks if my wife hadn't awakened me (I'm glad that she did-- it was great to see the fireworks explode high above the Acropolis).

The breakfast staff was especially nice, including John from Montreal. The food was plentiful, tasty, and fresh, including rolls and croissants, eggs, bacon, and sausages, as well as yogurt, cheese, cereal and bread. Good, fresh milk, OK orange juice, and plenty of hot tea or coffee, too. The women who were working like crazy in the kitchen were also very, very nice.

We always had at least one smoker in the breakfast room doing their best to pollute the place. Early was usually better as far as that went. Hopefully someday they will ban smoking at breakfast, and then everyone can enjoy the meal in peace.

On the same topic, the sixth floor is a smoke-free floor and it was an oasis.

The hotel is not cheap, but it certainly is not out of line for the area, and you do get your money's worth. I would rather pay a bit more for a quality hotel, especially in a big city like Athens, than go cheap and be miserable.

Internet access was 5 euros per 90 minutes, with wifi available only in the lobby and on the rooftop.

Our only real complaint is about the bed and pillows. Both were hard to the point that they bordered on being uncomfortable. We both like firm beds, but this was like sleeping on a thin mattress on slate rock. And the pillows were like thin bags packed with flour. OK, but not in line with the quality that the hotel presents in all other respects. They can and should do better on both counts.

Overall, an excellent choice and we were very happy that we stayed here."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of January 2008

The hotel is within easy walking distanc...

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2004

"The hotel is within easy walking distance of main attractions (Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, Olympic Stadium, Government Building) and has a nearby underground station. It is on a main road but my room was at the back so I heard nothing. Rooms were basic but had everything required. Food typically European.

Rooftop area has a lovely view of Acropolis especially at night. Athens in general is a building site. Lots of work going on everywhere, in preparation for the Olympics. Paving stones and cobbles are a nightmare for wheelchair access. Public transport good (trams, buses and hundreds of taxi’s with very friendly drivers). Airport is a 45-minute taxi ride."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004