Pan Hotel

11 Mitropoleos Syntagma Square, Athens 105 57 Greece

Great location

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We booked on the Pan based on our internet research and mostly based on it´s location and price. Curiously, we had two different experiences with them:

The first, when we arrived on Greece (before going to the islands) was not so good. The hotel was full and they did not have a room with double bed as we requested. As an attempt to "compensate" us they gave us a "tripe" room. Bigger, for sure, but teh extra bed and space was useless for us. The shower was leaking and the air conditioning was not working. Luckly the weather was cool at night.

When I complained about it they said they would try to fix it but, as the hotel was full, they could not offer us another room.

As we would stay only for two days at that time, and as I knew every hotel on that area was full, I told them I would accept it, but I demanded a better room for our second stay, after our trip to the Islands.

Our second experience was completely different. On our return they gave us a room with a nice double bed, evidently renewed and redecorated, with a balcony and a perfecly working bathroom.

As the hotel is small, the breakfast is serverd on the lobby bar. Simple but good enough: Bread, Croissants, cheese, ham, jams, yoggurt, cereal, coffe, milk and juices.

The location is the best part. The hotel does not have a view, but is close to the Syntagma Square and metro station (2 mitunes walking) and close to Plaka (5 minutes walking). At the same time, it is not ON Syntagma or Plaka, and that makes the price a lot better.

The hotel has wireless internet and they charge 3 Euros for one hour or 5 Euros for two hours. The cheapest option is to take your notebook to Syntagma and use the free internet connection of the square while having a coffe.

I trully believe that our second experience is closer to the hotel standards and that the problems we had on our first stay were result of "bad luck" and a fully loaded hotel.

All the pictures are from our second room."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of June 2008

Disappointed

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My husband and I were very disappointed with our stay at the Pan Hotel. When checking in, I requested a non-smoking room and was assured that the entire hotel was non-smoking. However, when we walked into our room, the first thing I saw was an ashtray on the entry table (not to mention cigarette burns on our bedspreads). The room was rundown and dirty with carpet that was either pulling away from the wall or covered with stains (the picture I've attached - similar to the one on the hotel's website - doesn't accurately show how rundown the room is). The bathroom shower was covered in mold and mildew. We would have seriously considered staying elsewhere had our bedsheets not been clean. All of this said, I need to point out a couple positives. The location (next to Syntagma Square) was great, and the complimentary breakfast each morning was nice (rolls, meats, cheese, cereal, juice). Overall, though, I would never choose to stay here again."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of June 2008

Fantastic Location

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"This small hotel is located about 100 yards from Syntagma Square which is at the very centre of the city. the metro from the airport stops at this square.The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was plentiful. the room was lovely and spaceous and clean with air conditioning. We stayed at the front of the hotel, having a balcony overlooking the street below. If you want a quieter room ask for one at the rear of the hotel. This hotel is within easy walking distance of all the city's attractions. (Visit the Acropolis on Sundays and it's free to enter.)I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to other travellers."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of February 2008

Nice, no real complaints, best possible location

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I'm guessing that the other reviewers who're saying this place is terrible are either very fussy or were very unlucky.

We just checked out of this hotel earlier today. The staff were generally very friendly and all spoke very good english. We had a room on the 8th floor which was a perfectly adequate size. The bathroom was nice and clean and a nice size, and so was the room. I actually liked the blue colour scheme in the room, it made it bright and friendly.

The breakfast was fine, nothing amazing but as others have said you get a buffet with a choice of cheese, meats, 2 types of bread, and 3 types of cereal, as well as coffee, tea and orange juice.

The location is the best thing about this hotel. Syntagma square is 2 mins walk away. From here you can catch the metro anywhere, or get on the tram down to the beach or all the way down to Glyfada (this takes an hour but is only $0.60!). You can also walk to Plaka or down to Monastiraki and Thissio from here. These districts have many good outdoor restaurants and pedestrian areas. Ermou street, the main shopping street in central Athens is parallel to the street this hotel is on. There are cafes etc. around Sytagma square itself, which is next to the National Gardens which are great for walking. You really can't beat this location.

The only real downside to this hotel is that there is only 1 tiny lift which can fit only 1 person with luggage or 2 without, at once. For an 8-story hotel this is pretty inadequate. Once we were forced to run up to the 8th floor as we couldn't wait for others who got in before us, to get up to the 8th then for the lift to come down again.

Overall: a very nice middle-range hotel, nothing fancy but nothing to complain about except the lift. Friendly staff, excellent location."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of September 2007

fantastic!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We had an amazing stay at this hotel. We stayed there 3 nights and I would definitly recommend it. Breakfast was very nice. there was a wide variety of savoury and sweet products and as it was a buffet you could eat as much you wanted. Our bedroom was very big and very clean. We were on the first floor and we had a balcony. The sheets and the bathroom were very clean. We were very pleased with little touches like free sleepers, shower caps... The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.
What I loved about this hotel is that they were offering a free luggage storage. Because our ferry was in the evening, they were quite happy to keep our suitcases for the day so as we could still enjoy a day of tourism. Thank you for a fantastic stay!"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2007

Oh my godness.... - worst hotel ever

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Hello!
Please stay away from that awful place. I was only staying for 1 night, thanks god! All there is extremly bad, small rooms, not clean, horrible breakfast and stuff very rude."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

Nice location but small rooms (Aug 2006)

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We stayed at Pan Hotel in Athens two nights on August 2006 (5-6th). It's a hotel easily reachable by metro from the airport (it's 2 min walk from Sintagma Square) just in front of Arethusa Hotel.

It has a great location in Plaka, close to restaurants, taverns and 15 min walk from Acropolis but we found that rooms were way too small and elevator wasn't very reliable (it stopped quite often).

To sum up, hotel has a good location because you can go walking everywhere but I found rooms a little uncomforatble because they were way too small. On a next trip, I'd stay in a hotel very close to this one because I loved the location but I wouldn't repeat at Pan Hotel because room was not at the level we paid for it."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006

Hotels near Pan Hotel

Stayed at Pan Hotel? Share your insight.