Good

If you like 70's style "used look" decor, then this is your place!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I travel to Athens often for business. My clietns are mostly in the center of the city.

I stayed for three nights at this hotel on during business trip to Athens in April. I chose this hotel only because all the better hotels were either sold out or had raised there prices to extreme levels for some reason that week.

Location is excellent.

Lobby is reasonable, but a bit cramped. Better off spending your lobby time in the two superior hotels which are litterally connecterd to this propoerty.

Rooms should be considered 2.5 star for quality. Feels like a cheap motel room...not up to the standard of quality which one would expect considering the price paid. rooms had a 1970's feel to them.

Bring your own iron and ironing board if you plan to press any garments...the hotel does not offer these items in rooms, and you must therefore pay very hig charges to have them do this service for you."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of May 2007

Great Location. Not a 5 Star

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Stayed there 6 nights in March. The location is perfect. But, if there are demonstrations, look out. Traffic, tear gaz, police, noise, violence, all a common occurence. PROS; location, breakfast & dinner room beautifull, bathrooms are spacious, clean, rooms decorated well, slightly narrow but manageble and service is hospitable. CONS; noise, balcony doors let in alot of noise, you need better insolated doors, very difficult to sleep in the afternoons or at night, constant traffic noise ie, ambulance, cars, etc., no hot water kettle or coffee maker, horible hairdryer in the bathroom, and the beds are not that comfortable. Now, be carefull with the food prices. Expensive. Example; American breakfast 29 Euro, Continental 21 Euro,Greek Salad 20 Euro,a club is 17Euro and a Plaza Burger 28 Euro. Our breakfast was included. Great dinning room to have breakfast in. As per the soft drinks and water in the room, forget it, just go outside, buy your water from the qiosks outside( periptera) , or walk down the street, find a small market. There is a small one right up the street from Savvas souvlaki. Ask for the mini mart. But in terms of service the hotel is very helpfull. Very polite. The reception area is very small. Who cares. Not me. Do not complain about the elevetors, they fit three people. Tiny people. Live with it. I would not give this hotel a 5 star, but a 4, yes. It is not the Grand Bretagne , nor the Hilton or Intercontinental, but it is clean, and the location is perfect for the center of Athens. If they could fix the noise problem, it would be fantastic. I would stay there again if I had a lot of running around to do in Athens. Great location. The metro is 20 meters away. Taxi's right outside, or the bellman will get you one. No problem. Do not forget to ask the front desk or the bellman if there is a demonstration that day and at what time. Stay away. Go to Thessio,Plaka and have an Ouzo until it's over.
Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of March 2007

Loved the Athens Plaza

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We were at the hotel for three nights, before and after a tour of Greece. The staff was courteous; the rooms were lovely and the location was perfect. A five minute walk to the Plaka and a view of either St. George's Church or the Acropolis were unlooked for extras."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

Great Athens Hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and found it perfect for our needs. It has a great central location, close to everything. Also, the subway to the airport and the airport bus are both just outside the door. Room and bath were both large with nice amenities and the free breakfast was much more than I expected. At the rate I paid of 150 euro/nite, including breakfast and tax, this hotel was a bargain. It is certainly not as luxurious as the Grand Bertagne and King George next door, but I didn't pay their high rates either. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel if you can get a good rate."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Great Hotel, Great Location

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Athens Plaza twice within a week, both before and after a tour. The hotel's location on Syntagma (Constitution) Square is convenient to most things. The Plaka is a short walk. The upscale shopping area is nearby and the Archaeological museum is about a 25 minute walk.

Our rooms on both occasions were spacious. One had a balcony and the other didn't. The rooms were quiet.

Our stay included a buffet breakfast. The buffet had a wide variety of both hot and cold items (including champange). It also included several types of eggs for American tastes. The breakfast was very good.

Overall, we were very pleased with our rooms and would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of September 2006

Average Hotel Good Location

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Athens Plaza July 3-6. If you want a king size bed you might get two beds put together so specify if you want a real king size bed. The hotel is right next to the King George and Gran Bretagne in Sytagama Square. The Square is busy so expect hearing horns at night (all night). The location is definitely the plus, close to Plaka, The Museum, and the Acropolis which were our favorite sites. There is no pool at the hotel but if you are in Athens, the pool probably would not be the best place to spend your time in this beautiful city. This hotel would not be fun for children. The staff was very courteous. The breakfast was consistantly cold for some unknow godforsaken reason they could not have hot eggs on the breakfast bar. I gve the breakfast a 1 out of 10, thanks for that free "included" meal..

3 days was enough of a stay in this hotel, thank God for the San Marco in Mykonos and Xenones in Santorini"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

So-So on Syntagma Square

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Athens Plaza on a recent trip to Greece. While the location is superb, (ie-it is close to all major attractrions and you feel very safe in the big city), I can't say too much about the interior of the hotel. It's okay, not terrible, but certainly not that great. The rugs on the floor and the furniture have seen better days. I think the Olympics and the huge amount of people going through that hotel at the time have worn the furniture and rugs out. They really need to consider replacing all lobby furniture and rugs. The current ones looked dingy. I do have one complaint about the breakfast. We had already paid for our breakfast and had to leave at 5 a.m. the next day to catch our flight home and they wanted to charge us 3 euros per person to have it prepared earlier! These little things would never happen in a luxury hotel. Therefore, i think the only thing Athens Plaza has going for it, is it's location. Because we spent most of our time out and about, the hotel was bearible. But, I would much rather stay at the King George or Grande Bretagne next time around!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of May 2006

Great Location, Too Expensive

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Yes, a great location right on Syntagma Square and an easy walk to the Plaka and Acropolis. Take the Metro train right from the Airport for only E$6 (US$8) and you'll see the hotel's sign diagonally across Syntagma Square as you exit the Subway.

Too expensive: a soft drink from the mini-bar would be E$6. (US$8.) and Internet access in the room was an outrageous E$24./day (US$31) +taxes! Not even a free bottle of water in the room. There's a kiosk kittycorner from the hotel so you can buy your own drinks.

Room was clean and comfortable. A fine place to sleep. I found a deal on Expedia for this upscale 4-star or I don't think I would have afforded it otherwise."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of May 2006

Shabby for 5 Stars

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed there after a Mediterranean cruise on the Crystal Serenity. The rooms while spacious, were tired and shabby and well below the standard of the many other 5 star hotels we have stayed at world wide. The carpet was about five years beyond it's replacement time - really grubby.

Too many UK and European hotels have 5 star lobbies and 3 star rooms. The NJV Athens Plaza is a good example.

The good points: Athens is a wonderful place to visit with very friendly locals speaking good english and great dining."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of January 2006