Good
Good

Fabulous Hotel

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Grande Bretagne three weeks ago. It was worth every penny that we spent to stay there. The rooms are perfectly appointed,
the service is the best from the maids to the concierge. Everyone goes out of their way to be helpful and friendly. The location is perfect for seeing the sights in Athens. The Rooftop Restaurant and The Pool area are not to be missed. We started trying to make a reservation about 8 months prior to our trip and had difficulty but were finally able to get the reservation. It was truly worth the trouble. The Grande Bretagne was the perfect beginning to our wonderful trip to Greece."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of June 2005

Disappaointed by hopeless service

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"We booked a junior suite at the grande Bretagne pre cruise based on the reviews on this site. The room was fantastic WHEN we finally got it.

We arrived via a limo transfer booked thru the hotel. We were almost 2 hours late due to a delay in Heathrow so were really looking forward to having a shower and seeing Athens.... we were told at 4pm our room was not ready, we could have a coffee and they'd get us in 30 mins. Almost 1 hr later no one had come so we returned to the desk...sorry..the person from your room has only just checked out it'll be a few more minutes. Eventually they decided it was probably best to give us an alternative room..which i confirmed 3 times as being identical to the one we had been given...yes we were told its just on a different floor. We finally got to the room and sat down... it stank of smoke...we booked a non smoking room and were were now on a smoking floor.. I politely rang reception and asked what could be done as my husband has a severe reaction to cigarette smoke...we'll give you another room was the reply but we need 15 mins....45mins later still no room so I went down to see what was happening... they were caught in a heated discussion with another lady who had booked interconnecting rooms and been given the 2nd and 7th floors..not very good when you have a baby and 3yo for the second room!

I waited patiently and then asked what was happening.. I was rudely told we can't give you an upgrade... I hadn't even asked for one..all I wanted was the same type as i had booked. After 3.5 hrs we finally had a room! No one told us where to get breakfast..etc.

The next morning we wandered around looking for the breakfast room and finally found it..they then sat us in the smoking area (we didn't get asked about a non smoking area until we went for breakfast the next morning). My husband ordered an omelette which they forgot and then brought a different kind to the one he had ordered.

At 8.30 on the morning of our departure I requested 2 extra hours for us to see Athens.. sorry madam..the next guest for your room is already here so we would appreciate the room as early as possible..at this point I asked to speak to someone a little higher and we miraculously had 2 more hours! At checkout we were not only charged for our transfers but also for those of the people who were about to check in! They lost our transfers to the port..it had never been booked from reception to concierge.

All in all at 480Euro per night..not worth it...

I know this is totally different to everyone elses reports and people will think my comments odd but we had just stayed at 4 seasons prague and Oriental Bangkok...the Bretagne was 5 star room with 2 star service. Service was so bad I almost moved next door to George II.."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of June 2005

High Tea in Athens

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"High Tea is for England, right? Well, try it in Athens. We went to the recently remodeled/renovated Hotel Grande Bretagne in Syntagma Square, Athens, Greece. It's a 5 star hotel, and you get 5 star service! Whenever I asked for anything, the answer was "of course" and I got it immediately. The tea selection was pretty good, but the food and the service and the atmosphere were supurb. A wonderful experience, and I've had high tea in many places, in many countries."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of June 2005

Great Hotel

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We loved out stay at this hotel. Great location and terrific service. The concierge staff was great in dealing with a problem with a suitcase. The rooms are great and the spa is a must."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of June 2005

Beautiful hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Central situation opposite Parliament building. Beautiful public rooms and bedrooms. We had a deluxe room which was reasonably large and had a marble bathroom with walk-in shower. All staff friendly and eager to please. Breakfast excellent but food in both restaurants and room service was unimaginative and nothing special. Even so-called Greek specialities were a bit bland. We would definitely use this hotel again though."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of May 2005

Nicest Hotel Ever!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I loved everything about the Hotel. Location. Room. Exercise facility. Service. Food. I have absolutely no complaints. Great place."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of April 2005

All other hotels now have a lot to live up to!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My Wife and I spent 3 nights in the Grande Bretagne and from here on all other hotels will be compared to this!

We booked with Expedia and got the room with an inside view - in most hotels this means a splendid view of the bins! - Not here - we were looking into a courtyard with shrubs I have posted a picture. The attention to detail was wonderful right down to placing the pillows back on the bed each night the way we had used them the night before! We made full use of the spa and during the afternoon we had it to ourselves there are 4 steam/sauna rooms and a pool and again the staff were really good. We didn't have breakfast but we did eat in the GB Corner attached to the hotel again the quality of service and food was five star.

If you are going to Athens don't even consider staying anywhere else!"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of April 2005

Grand Bretagne Hotel

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Absolutely outstanding Hotel! Could not have been better! A must if you visit Athens and can afford the rates."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of November 2004

Not what I expected

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"This is supposed to be a lucurious, better than first class hotel. Maybe it is, but we got a lousy, noisy, miniature room on a corner with a nice view of the trash cans. It was not worth the price. The location was ok"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of October 2004

Excellenct Hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"If you're thinking of going to Athens then this is the hotel to go to. Excellent location & an excellent hotel. The cost of the refurb was definitely worth it; the hotel looks fantastic and everything is spotlessly clean.
We had a deluxe room with a small balcony and got a birds eye view of the Sunday ceremonials in Parliament Square - terrific!
Although the rooftop restaurant has a fantastic view of the Parthenon at night, we felt that the food and service in the GB Corner Brasserie was better.
We have very high standards when it comes to hotel accommodation and the GB definitely exceeded them."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of October 2004