O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel

• italian amenities
  • newspaper
  • spanish amenities
  • iron
  • paid private parking on site
  • babysitting
  • rooftop pool

As good as ever

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"Rooms look to have been upgraded again and room was spotless as usual. Great central location and staff are polite and friendly. Not to cheapest but in my view worth the money."

• Travel date: 15th January 2008

Good choice

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Our family of four attended a wedding in Gib for a long weekend, and after summing up all the hotels on Tripadvisor, went for the O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel. We were not disappointed. The central location was perfect for all our needs. It is just off the main street, in a quiet little square which is a haven of peace. The reception staff went out of their way to ready inter-connecting rooms for us on the first floor, which were most adequate and comfortable. Spotlessly clean too, and very spacious. The breakfasts were superb - a great choice of everything from cereals, fruit, breads and pastries, to cooked ingredients for a full English. (How can people complain?). What a place to have breakfast too, on the roof with a great view of the harbour. I could stand on the sun roof above the restaurant all day and look at the views and watch life going on around the busy harbour. We even had a November swim in the open air rooftop pool (unheated - a couple of quick lengths warms you up fast!). The cafe/bar on the ground floor has a truly tranquil area out on the square under palm trees - and the food there was more than adequate in content, quality, and presentation. The costs were reasonable and expected for a four star - and value for money compared to what the other four star establishments on the Rock were quoting us. Okay, the bar staff were not always over the moon when ordering food, and a wee bit harassed and surly at times - but a little cheerful smile, joke, and a bit of coaxing, plus the odd tip (something people are forgetting to do at hotels these days - the staff depend on these to supplement their incomes - don't take it out on them!) seemed to do the trick just fine. The service level after that tended to be "bounding"! A very comfortable two night stay, and Gibraltar itself was a lovely, interesting place to visit with great character and friendliness. The Eliott is the place to stay there."

• Travel date: 18th November 2007

Good Choice

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"Stayed here with my partner and some friends for a wedding taking place in the Hotel. The hotel is in a great location just off Main Street and fronts onto a very nice little square. The rooms were spacious and clean with a large double bed.The bathroom was well stocked with towels and toiletries. There is complimentary tea and coffee but no mini-bar(at least not in our rooms which were on the 3rd floor.) There was a small patio and the room looked out at the Rock itself which was nice,especially at night with some twinkling lights dotted around the hillside from flats and houses situated there. Breakfast is buffet style and was excellent.You take it in the 8th floor restaurant which has great views though you can sit around the pool outside if you wish. The bar is good and you can sit outside in the afore mentionned square if you wish and that`s a relaxing atmosphere. Only 2 slight downsides of our visit were ,first,the check-in and check-out which were slow and ,secondly,parking is at a premium--it`s first come first served and though it`s free the chance of getting a space is not great.However we just gave our key to the concierge and he took care of it for us so it wasn`t in reality a problem. We`d stay again"

• Travel date: 14th November 2007

Beware of first impressions

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"We stayed on Gib once before at The Rock Hotel and were surprised at how much we enjoyed our stay there compared with some of the negative reviews posted on this site. This time however we stayed at the Elliot (it was a cheaper deal than the Rock) and why not stay somewhere different anyway? Initially I was very disappointed. I loved the view of the Bay from our room at the Rock – but this time all I could see was a muddle of buildings and the side of the huge rock itself. I asked reception for a change of room to a sea view but none was forthcoming. The room itself was spacious, clean and tidy with a huge double bed – actually 2 singles pushed together – and all the usual toiletries and tea/coffee making facilities where supplied. The bathroom was a reasonable size, very nicely tiled and decorated and with a superb shower. All the consumables were topped up daily by the maid and towels etc changed although I was a bit surprised that one of the bath towels had a fist-sized hole in the middle of it. We were on the 5th floor and the good quality double glazed sliding door to the Juliet balcony eliminated all the outside noises. It was nice to leave it open for a while to savour the hustle bustle of real life outside but it’s not near a busy road anyway. Only real noise was from some local kid skidding his bike tyre on the tiled square below but he lives there, so why shouldn’t he? In that square is a nice Moroccan restaurant – handy if you find the prices in the roof top restaurant a bit steep and don’t fancy a long schlep down Main Street. We didn’t need the air con in Oct so can’t vouch for its noisiness or otherwise. The hotel’s location is better than the Rock’s if you need to be near Main Street for all the shopping but I loved the Rock Hotel’s location as it was opposite the botanical gardens and I prefer to be slightly out of town centres anyway. You pays yer money and takes yer choice. Either hotel is reached by the No 3 bus which waits right outside the airport terminal although the driver forgot to give me a ‘heads up’ for the Elliot and we overshot and had to walk back a few hundred yards. At 60p a ride, bus travel is a bargain but Gib is such a small place that if you are reasonably fit you can walk to most places if you are not in a hurry. We walked from the Elliot back to the airport in under 30 mins including waiting for the runway barriers to lift after a Lear Jet took off. Great for plane spotters as the main road to the airport actually crosses the runway so you can watch the planes taking off right in front of you – not that there are that many flights due to Spanish restrictions. If you are lucky you might see some military movements – there was a massive Hercules patrolling the bay whilst we were there. [A tip – if you want to sample one of the few beaches at Goleta, do get the No 4 bus both ways. Although it’s walkable, the road passes a very unattractive area so it’s well worth the bus fares so skip past the industrial units and piles of spoil.] The roof top restaurant gives the magnificent view of the bay that was missing from my room and makes breakfast an interesting experience. We were able to watch a submarine docking whilst I consumed a vast pile of scrambled egg and fried bread – the buffet breakfast is excellent. When we asked if green tea was available, all we got was a curt “No.” I would have thought that “I’ll see what I can find” would have been more befitting a 4* hotel however. Breakfast was available 0730 to 1030 so the previous reviewer was pushing his luck expecting breakfast at 1030 on the ground floor when the restaurant is on the 8th floor. This is well publicised in the information material in the rooms. The bar service was great and the cocktails were a bargain and the barman even found us to bring a top-up of the delicious “San Francisco’s” that we ordered. Excellent. The reception staff were generally warm and friendly and researched some bus times in Spain for us and left the details under the bedroom door so we could plan our day. We asked to extend the noon checkout time as we weren’t flying out until the evening. Due to being fully booked they couldn’t help past 1pm but let us leave our luggage locked in the porters room and gave us towels so we could shower in the sauna area on the roof top. Nice touch Elliots – thanks! All in all then, my first impressions were much improved upon and we had a great stay and would definitely return but remembering to take our own green tea. A final word of warning however – the flies in Gib in October were maddening and a meal in Casemates Square was completely ruined by swarms of the damned things. A Kings Ransom awaits the man who can come up with an effective deterrent."

• Travel date: 30th October 2007

Best Hotel in Gib

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"After reading some of the Eliott's reviews, I was a little anxious about visiting this hotel for a 7-night stay. It was in fact the best of the 4-star hotels in Gibraltar. It's central location, just off Main Street makes for an excellent base whilst shopping and its rooftop pool and restaurant have the best views on the rock Breakfasts were very good - a wide selection of juices, cereals, pastries, yoghurts, jams and of course, a full english consisting of scrabled eggs (but ask one of the waiters for 'fried' and you will receive), hash browns, fried bread, bacon, sausages, tomatoes and beans. The evening menu in the restaurant is pricey (approx £8 for starters, £15 for a main course and £7 for desert) but as most guests at this hotel are business people, I'm sure they don't mind claiming it back on their expenses! The staff on Reception are brilliant - very happy to answer any questions about the area and where to find the best....The bedrooms are large and the best views are enjoyed by even room numbers on the 6th and 7th floors, odd numbers have a 'rock' view which is still nice but the lower floors are directly above the Verandah bar area which can get quite noisy. Just a few minor gripes: Cleanliness is adequate, the tiles in the shower were a little neglected by a scourer but the bedding and towels are changed daily. The sun terrace on the roof looked a little tired too - all bar 3 of the 12 sunbeds were broken so you had to lie down whether you liked it or not. The hotel picture of the sunbeds around the pool is deceiving as there are none. Given the choice of the Caleta (surrounded by building sites) and the Rock (very far out of town) as the other 4-star hotels, the Eliott is the best."

• Travel date: 10th October 2007

Central Location

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"This is a four star rated hotel and is of four star quality. The reception staff were really nice and helpful. The central location makes it perfect to walk to all attractions, including walking into Spain. The restaurant is excellent and the food choice, quality, price and availability was brilliant. The rooms overlooking the rock have the problem of night club noise and my daughters double bed (singles pulled together), were very uncomfortable with daily back ache. The air conditioning was noisy and I had to turn it off at night to be able to sleep but having to awake in the night hot! The rooms were kept very tidy and fresh. The bar was a great place to chill with Jazz one night, but there was a suspicion the beer was been waterd down by the spanish staff? Would visit again."

• Travel date: 1st October 2007

great stay

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"Stayed for Four nights , in excellent room , with great facilities. OK it didn,t have Fridge -so what !! TV has all UK channels and most of the SKY ones. Bathroom again very smart. Chambermaids cleaned rooms really well leaving plenty of Tea/Coffee/Milk and Sugar. More when I asked for it. All staff , Receptionists , Porters , Barmen and Breakfast staff all very polite , and couldn,t be more helpful. In fact the "tips" we received from the Receptionists and Porters helped a great deal when it came to arranging our Tours etc. Gibraltar has a "big" problem with Cars and parking , so we didn,t hire a car -no need - Taxis plentiful and cheap. Although Hotel had a car park -it seems most of the time it was full -although Porter worked hard finding places for everyone. Food (included in Hotel deal ) was very nice , good selection and very hot. . Bar very comfortable and free UK papers to read when you wanted them. The position of the Hotel couldn,t be better- just off the Main St. midway between Casements Square and the Cable car . couldn,t be better placed. From some of the previous comments left - perhaps if people were a bit more friendly to the staff then they would be friendly towards them. Some of the "gripes" left previously are certainly unfounded now. Would recommend the Hotel as probably the best on the whole of Gibraltar"

• Travel date: 22nd September 2007

False Advertisement

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"The presentation of the hotel is rather nice, and it looks promising all around. My largest complaint though is that many things listed throughout the hotel, such as menus, times, available services or in their guest book, etc. are not as such at all. They do not provide an exchange of currency like they say they do. I've asked multiple times through out various days, each response is the same "We normally do, but we don't know the exchange rate for euros or american dollars." I call and ask for room service during a specified time listed in the guest book, "i'm sorry we don't have room service today." I asked the front desk receptionist, and looked in the guest book to find the time at which the eigth floor restaurant is open till, both said 1030PM, i walk up at about 9:30PM, no its closed for the evening. it is one disappointment after another. The following day rolls around, a new day right? not quite. I wake up at roughly 10:20 and expect the full breakfast i paid for on top the nightly rate, totaling 105 pounds a night. I get down to the ground level, at just after 10:30 to find out they stopped serving breakfast at exactly 10:30AM. I ask for a refund and I am told there is no way i can't prove I haven't eaten breakfast that morning, so they can't give me a refund. Completely ridiculous i tell you. I pack up my things and refuse to pay them anything more."

• Travel date: 25th August 2007

Internet Extortion

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Just scrapes four stars, but really its a three star with big rooms. Rooms are ok facilities are standard the big problem with this place is the internet access. $25 dollars a day for access to a really poor substandard connection. That is just extortion. Staff are a bit surly but the standard of cleanliness is good. Breakfast is OK."

• Travel date: 23rd August 2007

Run down hotel in Gibraltar

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"The location in the center of town can't be beat, however the hotel's physical condition needs improvement. The rooms are old and in need of new furniture. Our furniture was cracked, stained and dirty. They have no minibar and a refridgerator is not allowed in the room. The wanted 18pounds (36 dollars) for wi-fi access. The pool is in terrible condition and the fitness center had 3 machines that didn't work. There are not many choices in Gibraltar but I would stay at The Rock Hotel the next time."

• Travel date: 20th August 2007

Hotels near O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel

O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel is also called

• Eliott Hotel
  • o callaghan eliott hotel
  • eliott hotel gibraltar