About Cannon Hotel

Good

good value for money. great location.

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel to be perfectly acceptable for the price we paid, yes the place was a little rough around the edges which could be put right at low cost and would make a lot of difference.Generally good value for money. The room was clean and comfortable with an extra duvet in the wardrobe although this was stained and didnt look very nice, there was also a fan and a heater in the room. The only noise we heard was people shutting their doors at night but they must have heard us as well so it was not a problem. The breakfast was adequate but instead of a slice of tomato it would have been better to have had at least a half, service was quick although the cooked food could have been a bit hotter but you could have as much tea/coffee/orange juice and cornflakes as you could muster. The staff were very friendly and arranged taxi's for us. All in all if you do not mind not having the finer things in life for a few nights this is the place for you. we call it billy budget but we only used it to put our heads down and it was absolutely fine, we would definately use again. It also has a prime location which is ideal for Main Street."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of March 2007

Looked great from the entrance but the worst hotel room ever!

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"This has to be one of the worst hotels i've ever stayed in!! The bed linen and towels were so old they looked dirty and the bathroom had cracked tiles. The entrance to the hotel looked charming and sweet but once inside the hotel the room was awful. The hotel is cheap for Gibraltar but not that cheap!"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of February 2007

Very, very basic! Don't recommend!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel a while back & I was very disappointed with the place. I booked it because it was cheap & centrally located along a side lane of the Main Street and near all the shops and but the latter was the only good thing about it. The hotel room was nowhere near clean as it should be and it was awfully dusty and had a strange damp smell. We had an apartment with a shared bathroom and this wasn't in the best of conditions. The door lock was tricky so anytime spent in the shower meant that I felt totally paranoid that someone would come in! The staff.. Well, what staff? I think I only saw one person there and that was when I checked in! The worst part was getting woken up at stupid o'clock in the morning (think it was 5am or 6am) because the binmen were doing their rounds in their very noisy garbage disposal truck! Arghhh! Gib is a beautiful place but I would not stay here again - would recommend paying more & staying at the Bristol Hotel as its also centrally located & has its own pool."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of November 2006

Good value for money

Good
Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"I used to live in Gibraltar for 3 years, and make a habit of coming back for a short stay. Stayed at the Cannon couple of years ago, and found it functional and good value for money. The management were very welcoming and accommodating. Accommodation was basic, but didn't expect the Ritz at these prices. Breakfast was good, freshly made and enough to start the day. Came back again for a short break last year, and intend to visit Gibraltar at the end of this year, staying at the Cannon again for a long weekend."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of October 2006

Economic but thoroughly unpleasant

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"My fiancé and I were only in Gibraltar for 1 day, en route from the south of Spain to Morocco. We choose this hotel because of the location and the price. Hotel prices seem ridiculously expensive in Gibraltar (thanks to our Canadian dollar).
The location was excellent. It was right by the main street of shops and pubs and within walking distance to the Cable Car to the top of the Rock.
However, you will get absolutely no rest at this hotel if that is what you are needing it for. The street noise will keep you up until about midnight and then the noise from the main floor loung/bar will keep you up until much later than that. When we stayed there the drunken yelling and conversation ended around 4 am. Since we got absolutely no rest, we would have been better off saving our money and spending the evening at the Casino and other nightlife, or spending substantially more money to get rested in a comfortable hotel.
The beds were the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in (and we have slept in alot of 'economical' hotels). The room itself was not bad for the price. It was clean enough and we had a fan that helped with the lack of air conditioning. The bathroom was ok. Everything is small-corridors and rooms.
If you plan on leaving the hotel early, make sure you get your passport before the owner/manager leaves for the evening. We were unaware that no one would be available from midnight to 8 am and were lucky enough to get our documentation back the evening before our departure, otherwise we would have missed our bus, ferry and train to our next destination.
Tourist information and assistance with getting around is minimal. You are pretty much on your own and need to rely on your own resources for figuring out where to go and how to get there.
We cannot comment on the included breakfast as we left before it was served.
We would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone, not even the most budget conscious travellers."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of June 2006

dirty basic low down

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"well were to start , i felt we had gone back in time 1952,poor standerd b&b dirty, sticky and horrid ."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006

A touch of Fawlty Towers - at the edge of Spain!!

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Okay if you're not fussy if there's no electrical supply in your room (plugholes not working!), not fussed about a hard bed that jailbirds would riot about, not bothered about quite grubby shower room complete with leaky shower, not annoyed by the guy supposedly in charge of the place who was very dismissive of my concerns and makes one feel like a nuisance at best (but your money is taken rapidly enough - the only thing that was done quickly here); and you're not fed-up by the noise that rises from the gloomy enclosed courtyard till almost 2AM (the "charming courtyard" resembles a dark pit more!). Oh, yes the propreitor likes his TV! And loud drunken shouting by him and his friends till the aforesaid 2AM! The rooms overlook Cannon Lane, just off Main Street; and loud chatter from the restaurants keeps one awake till well after midnight too - though closing your window (room not air con) can help.....but at least you could go down and have a late meal if you wanted. But who wants to sit among a load of rowdy drunks - unless you are one?
This place was approved by Gibraltar Tourist Board - shame on them. It dosen't matter what you pay, you deserve basic standards - of helpfulness of the staff, and decent beds, and plugs that work (this one made fizzing sound when I tried to use it! Perhaps the Cannon will burn down due to electrical fault - didn't see any evidence of fire precautions even). Like I said, the staff gave impression they couldn't give a damn. The "hotel" will be cold in winter - no heating in the room I had, central courtyard is open to the sky (mucky tarpaulin keeps the rain off when weather is poor).
Breakfasts weren't bad - English cooked, and brought in good time; and you can eat 8AM till 10AM.
All in all, would not go there again - I'd sooner pay a bit more and go to another hotel. An experience like this could put you off Gibraltar itself...."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of May 2006

Not My Cup of Tea

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"This is a Hostel masquerading as a Hotel.

Pros:
1. Friendly staff
2. Good location
3. Good breakfast (included in the price)

Cons:
1. Do not expect a luxurious room - very basic and felt a bit grimey. If you're unlucky and cannot get an en-suite, you have to share the communal toilet and shower (in fairness, this was kept clean)
2. As it's on Main Street, expect a noisy night (garbage trucks, old men talking into the wee hours)
3. No air-conditioning in the room

Not my cup of tea but if you're a backpacker on a budget this just might be the place."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of May 2006

The Hotel that time and comfort forgot

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Ever wondered what it would be like to stay in a World War II Prisoner of War Camp? Ever had the wish to live out your "Prisoner: Cell Block H" fantasies with your friends and family? Ever dreamt of taking part in a living history experiment emulating the lives of the prisoners of Louis XVI? If so then the Cannon Hotel is most definitely for you. For the rest of us, only the hope of eventual liberation will prevent us from throwing ourselves off the grimy, rubbish-cluttered balcony into the grotty, damp inner courtyard in this absolutely dreadful hotel. The words "absolutely horrific" do not so justice to the truly gargantuan awfulness of this establishment.

I had travelled to Gibraltar with the intention of staying at the rather splendid Art Deco old lady of the town, the Rock Hotel but made the cardinal mistake of arriving one day early. As a result, the only room to be found on the rock was in the Cannon. Almost as soon as I arrived I wished I'd camped out in the car instead. On arrival, we were shown directly into a grimy little bar which would not have looked out of place in the Docks area of Tangier in the 1930's. The rather frightening gruff gentleman therein informed us that he had only one room left and threw a sticky key across the bar. We were forewarned that the bathrooms were communal but nothing and I mean absolutely nothing could have prepared us for the true horror of the bedroom.

We stayed on the second floor. In true 1970's Butlin's style, the rooms are situated along an open balcony in a fashion rather akin to a Council Tower Block in Scunthorpe only less charming. This overlooks a courtyard much lauded in the hotel literature as charming and picturesque. During our stay, the concrete courtyard was completely filled with empty beer barrels, broken plastic garden furniture and rubbish - not quite (in the phraseology made immortal by Forster) "a room with a view"!

The key opened a door into a world of almost unearthly grimness which brought new and dreadful meaning to the word “basic”. The dingy bedroom was sparsely furnished with furniture which, even when new, must have made the “reduced to clear” aisle at MFI look like the third floor in Harrod’s. The bedclothes looked grubby; most of the furniture was broken in some substantial way and the window would not close properly. This is not to mention the untold horrors that lurked in the depths of the rickety wardrobe from which emerged odours of a most unsavoury character. It is often remarked that Gibraltar is a small carbon copy of England welded onto the coast of Spain. In the Cannon I think we found encapsulated the grotty boarding houses of 1950’s Blackpool in the full flow of post-war austerity and complete with stained walls, unkempt floors and an owner with a penchant for watching Coronation Street at full volume in the “charming” courtyard.

In sheer disbelief that such an establishment still exists in Western Europe, one rushes out of the bedroom to douse one’s face with cold water in the communal bathroom a hundred yards down the balcony. When one manages to eventually sneak in between all the other guests on the floor who wish to use it (which I would imagine makes the hours 8-9:30am an interesting obstacle course) one may well find, as I did, leaky taps encrusted with so much limescale that they should more properly form part of the tour of St Michael’s Caves. Certainly geologists may have found great interest in the chalky growths around the plumbing and the omnipresent green slime around the shower would no doubt form the basis for a fine Ph.D. in microbiology.

Having thus tiptoed around the various debris of previous guests in the cavernous (and I mean this word in its literal sense) bathroom, with great trepidation I made my way back to the bedroom. By now it was almost midnight but I had put off going to bed for too long. Sadly it would seem that the staff of the establishment are not in as much need of sleep as their guests. For almost four hours, guests overlooking the courtyard were treated to a constant bombardment of sound from a tinny television spewing out re-runs of 1980’s BBC comedies. Not that one would dare sleep in any case, tucked up as we were in the grimiest bed linen in all of Queen Elizabeth’s realms and dominions.

We rose early the next morning for fear of running into other disgruntled guests on their way to the bathroom. The sheer relief of the knowledge that I was now escaping from the horror left me in a somewhat more generous mood, though this was quickly abated by the sight of the slimy bathroom in daylight. Limp, sometimes grimy and always greyish towels were supplied for those brave enough to use them but there were absolutely no other “luxuries” to be found. Breakfast was served with little style but (in fairness) with much friendliness in the small dining room, a room which (in keeping with the rest of the establishment) encapsulated an amalgam of the worst in British and Spanish tastes. The repast was in high Blackpool boarding house style – full English and seemingly deep fried, though again in fairness it was acceptable after weeks of breakfasting on sickly Spanish pastries. However, this view may have been tinged with the sheer relief I was feeling at having survived my night in the hotel that time, taste and comfort forgot. On handing back the key and paying a small though still grudging fee, we dashed for the car in a mood of jubilation which must have been akin to that of the prisoners breaking out of the Bastille during the 1789 revolution. I for one certainly felt like running through the streets unfurling a flag and breaking into the Marseillaise.

It is true that these are my own subjective views, but it is my belief that the Cannon has absolutely nothing to recommend it save a friendly breakfast staff and its vicinity to town neither of which justified the horrors of staying there. Yes, it is true we paid only £45 for the room but even a “working class hotel” (to use the phraseology of one reviewer on this page astoundingly disgruntled with the litany of shame showered on the hotel by other reviewers) should have certain basic standards and at the very least should have some vestige of human comfort. Regardless of cost, no-one should have to endure the horrors the Cannon currently provides under the guise of accommodation. Given its location it should have great potential but at present even to advertise it as “budget accommodation” is to belie the truly horrific standards and lack of attention to detail enshrined in this establishment. Should you ever find yourself booked on a holiday to Gibraltar and find that all hotels are full save the Cannon, my very strong advice currently must be to stay at home."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of April 2006

Practical and Economic

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Whilst on a cruise, my wife and I had a day in Gibraltar. We chanced upon the Cannon in a quiet side street and remembered it for another time. We have been there twice already, and a planning another trip in 2006. It was exactly what you would expect from a small budget priced hotel, with the advantage that it in literally a few yards off Main Street.

The inner courtyard is bright and airy, yet offering a welcome bit of shade.

Rooms were sparcely furnished but practical, breakfast adequate so in general a good value for money hotel. In all the Cannon is what I would call a working class hotel, which suits me as I am a working class person."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of November 2005

How basic does it have to be !!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Hotel room was dirty, with dust on the floor and a mouse trap on the wardrobe.
The bathroom was grubby with the bath area absolutely covered in black mould and the towels were a dirty grey colour.
The beds were narrow metal framed singles with thin mattresses, the beds had thin worn sheets with a duvet available in the wardrobe, however the duvet had no covers and all had stains and did not smell or look clean.
There was a fan in the room but it was covered in dust and dirt.
No one came into the room to clean or make the beds and the towels were not changed during the 3 day stay.
The courtyard area could be lovely, but it was cluttered with barrels and gas refils and the tables (too many for the space) had very grubby tablecloths on them.
Breakfast was Ok, but done very much on the cheap, the orange juice was powdered and very watery.
Although convenient for the centre of town, it was very noisy.
The price was cheaper than other hotesl in Gibraltar,( £47 per night ) but the standard was totally unacceptable, you could get a far better Travel Inn or B & B in the UK or even in Spain !!

Certainly not recommended and a huge disappointment, after seeing the pictures on the web page - don't be fooled !!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of October 2005

loved the staff

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"had a week at the cannon during the week i broke out in a rash which happens when i have clothes wased in the wrong soap powder told the manager this no todo went out and brought new bedding and towels that is what you call service and that is why we are going back we found out it was not the powdwer this but tuna and mayo we told the manager this and told not to worry that is what i call service and great customer care"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of October 2005