Good

Nothings Changed

Reviewed Wed 25th of May 2016

"Well it looks like nothing has changed with the Bristol. We stayed there for 1 week in Sep 2015, went there for Gibraltar National Day and what a day it was too. The atmosphere was electric. Anyway, I would agree with many of the reviews on here, from 2005 & 2006. You would think that the Owners would have got the message by now, obviously not Okas a base that is all. Yes, the location is the best thing about the Bristol, the staff are very helpful though as I requested a kettle in the room and got one no problem. All the tea bags, coffee & milk were available at breakfast time. The so called fridge, is not a fridge or even a cooler, it did nothing to chill down milk or small bottles of water or drinks. The air conditioning was useless and did not do the job, it was only a portable unit housed in a cabinet. The water was hot in the bathroom/shower which was a plus to wash away the grimes of the hot weather, 26 degrees at that time. The price was reasonable for what you got. I would stay there again, mainly for the location. "

• Travel date: Wed 25th of May 2016

Pros and Cons

Reviewed Thu 12th of September 2013

"On arriving at the hotel we were told my daughter and I that we had a room with a double bed and a single. When we got to our room it smelt musty and the bathroom smelt of drainage problems which smelt vile. It felt like a prison cell and the beds were very hard. We went down with our cases and asked to be moved. It didn't take long for the receptionist to move us to another room. She told me that some rooms smell because of the drains and her home smells as well! She didn't apologize for having located us to that room. she told us the new room we were going would be better which tells me they knew how bad the room was. The room we went to next was better with no smell, two single beds, a good size bedroom and quite a big bathroom, It was very dated but was clean. Two best things about it were the TV and shower. The fridge was very old with no tea making equipment. The beds were OK. Only had one socket and a double adapter so was hard for our mobiles and boiling our kettle as didn't have tea making equipment. We bought our own kettle.

It was the only hotel that we couldn't put out a 'do not disturb' sign which I did miss. However, when the cleaner knocked one day and we were still there we did ask her to return and seemed fine.

For location you can't beat it. Really good near the main Street and not far from other places of interest.

The breakfast was fine although a piece of fruit would have been nice and finished it off. They had one man to refill things and he done a good job and was friendly.

The reception staff some were friendly some not so. The cleaner was polite and friendly.

Would I come again? No I wouldn't. Yes the second room we had was much better and the rest of our stay was good. However, there is always the chance you could get offered a room again that was musty and smelt of drainage problems and after a flight when you are tired it is not a pleasant experience"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of September 2013

Great location - prehistoric decor

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"Visited Gib on a business trip at short notice and had to stay here for 2 nights because the other hotels nearby were fully booked (either that or too expensive for my tight employer). The location couldn't be better and if you only use a hotel as a place to sleep then this will just about suffice. I had an exterior facing double which was really small and nearly had a sea view. There was a fridge though and an air con unit and colour portable TV (with loads of channels; bbc, sky and some spanish) but you wouldn't want to spend any time in the room watching. Check out the photos (which actually make it look better and brighter than it was because of the flash). Yes, the toilet was carpeted and the walls have been decorated with old hessian sacks, but it seemed clean enough. Don't take the breakfast unless you only want cornflakes and an instant coffee. Perhaps if it was my money I'd have been more disappointed but as it was a freebie I can't complain too much. I didn't manage to see very much of Gib (due to work) but Main Street and Casemates Square were pleasant enough and the price of cigarettes and alcohol was incredible; £5 for a litre of Grouse (or any other blended whisky) and £10 for 200 Regal KS."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of July 2006

a well located hotel

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"The hotel is well located as it is just of the main street that runs through gibraltar, the rooms are quite dark and the decoration is quite tired.
The 1st room allocated to my parents had very narrow access to the bathroom , but a new room was allocated without actually requesting one!
staff are very friendly, helpful and attentive.
the breakfast is served in a different room across from the hotel and can be tight for space when busy.
bar good and very cheap
would stay there again as well located and good value
worth paying extra for an external room as some good views and internal rooms look into bland internal courtyard"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of June 2006

Brilliant Location

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Bristol Hotel for 1 night and it is a great place - its set in a quiter road just off the main street., within a minutes walk to all the shops etc.
The hotel has a grand and rather colonial style reception area and the staff were friendly . The room we had was a bit dated but it was spotlessly clean and very spacious with air conditioning and a fridge.
The breakfast room was very pleasant with views to the swimming pool. A good selection of items were available for breakfast.
After reading some of the reviews on this hotel i did wonder what to expect. This is a perfect hotel in a great location - the only bad thing was that we only stayed one night !!"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of June 2006

Great location on a budget!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Bristol Hotel for 5 nights over the bank holiday weekend as part of a group who were there for a gymnastics competition, and have to say that after reading the reviews posted here, I was a little apprehensive about what I would find.
I had booked a single exterior view room (after being horrified at some of the interior view room reviews!) and got a twin bedded room with a sea view. (Another member of our party had an interior view room and didnt find it awful either) Yes, the decor was pretty dated and could do with a refurb, and yes, there was carpet in the bathroom, but the bed was comfy, the room was kept spotlessly clean and towels were changed every day. (How much time do you spend in your hotel room anyway?) The public areas, including the pool area were also kept very clean, and the staff were all friendly and helpful.
The hotel is in a great location just off of Main Street.
If you are looking for 5 star luxury then this will not be the place for you, as we all know you get what you pay for, but if you are looking for a convenient base for a reasonable price, then go open minded and be pleasantly surprised."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of June 2006

Great Location!!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"My family and I stayed at the Bristol September 2005 for the national day weekend! What a great stay we had. when we checked in we were greeted with a pleasent receptionist. the layout of the hotel is slighly strange but never the less we had a good stay here.
It was a busy weekend when we were there and we have aready booked to back sept 2006 to stay in the bristol. is is in a great location close to casemates, i can recomend the tunnel a great place for drinks / food!! The only downside with this hotel that i can say is that i had a tiny bathroom and the air con was noisey, but we never paid much so it wasnt a big deal. to be honest any city break you go on i would say it is the same sort of standard you get a hotel anywhere in any other european city. At the end of the day you only use the hotel as a base."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of May 2006

Grim and Dated

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"So frustrated that I actually paid money to stay here that it took me 2 hours from walking off the plane to writing this review to warn anyone else. We spent the last two nights in this 60's Blackpool Style B&B.

Dark Rooms, Dark Claded Interior's, Carpeted Bathroom !!!

Please please sell the site to IBIS who can knock it down and build something that would make it a pleasure to visit Gibraltar !"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of May 2006

A fair hotel very well positioned

Good
Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"We used Gibraltor as a base for the bike racing in Jerez and stayed at the Bristol as we wanted to see Gibraltor. Whilst we were dubious about the posted reviews these are not entirely fair. The rooms are in need of a bit of a revamp as they are a bit shabby looking in places but were clean, reception staff were helpful and the breakfast, which was in fairness included in the room price through agent for us, was fair. Tea making facilities in rooms would be nice. The hotel is very central and parking available important as we had a car and was free. Safe deposit boxes are also provided free. We did have exterior facing rooms which may have been better than interior so probably worth the extra.

You are literally a stone's throw from Main Street and the restaurants and pubs. We had no trouble getting on or off Gibraltor and we did it at various times of the day with British passports and a Spanish registered car. We are told there can be problems and they close the border when a plane is due to land/take off which can delay you!

I do not suggest booking this hotel if you want 5 star accomodation and modern but if you want a central base this is ideal and we would use it again."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of March 2006

Never Again

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We returned to Gib after a few years away, and silly us assumed that as most all other areas of Gib had modernised with time that the Bristol would have. We arrived late afternoon after a long flight and found the reception to be nice and bright, although the male receptionist obvoulsy has not heard of deodrant. We got our room keys and it was as if, when we stepped out of the elevator on our floor, we had gone back in time. It was dark, damp and dingy. We found our room. The door did not lock properly the beds were damp, there was no curtain in the bathroom and we had a hole in our Bath!! needless to say we stayed approx 30 mins in there and could not bear it anymore. We checked out and had a fantastic stay at the Rock hotel. Never again"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of March 2006

I have only just discovered your website...

Reviewed Wed 8th of February 2006

"I have only just discovered your website and so my review seems a little out of date; but it still may be of use, as the only other review of this hotel is from even longer ago and seems to be more a review of Gibraltar itself - which is worth a visit.

Hotel Bristol is in a good position and the local bus from the airport stops outside the hotel, so transfers are easy and cheap.

I booked direct with the hotel and reserved an exterior room by giving the hotel my credit card number; so I was stunned when checking in, to be asked by a rather officious lady receptionist, for payment in full for the whole of our stay!

The Hotel entrance and reception rooms and quite grand, but our room was not of the same standard. The room was of adequate size and we had a lovely view of the bay. It was comfortable and warm, but in need of re-decoration. The wallpaper was stained and worn and trim in the bathroom was loose and coming apart and not what I expect when paying the rates they charge.

Gibraltar does not have a large choice of hotels, but if you think, like me, this is the one for you, check that the rooms have been tidied up and be prepared to pay for the whole of your stay on arrival.

• Travel date: Wed 8th of February 2006

Great hotel overlooking the harbour, nex...

Reviewed Fri 3rd of February 2006

"Great hotel overlooking the harbour, next to the British Governor's residence and the Catholic Cathedral and a park with facilities for kids. Also, right next to the Museum, shops, pubs and restaurants.

If you want a good holiday in Andalusia, make your base in Gibraltar and enjoy all that the Rock has to offer with its numerous Rock-top attractions. It also has a few small, un-crowded friendly beaches. The Policemen, post boxes and telephones look like those at home and there's nowhere better in Iberia to get a good cup of tea, English beer or fish and chips.

Then explore southern Spain via the numerous organised trips from Gib or just walk across the border and take a bus from La Linea to Marbella, Estapona, etc. La Linea has a fantastic market and fair in July.

For the exotic and a visit to Africa - take a boat trip to and guided tour in Tangiers with a delicious lunch and belly dancing thrown in!

Enjoy three countries in one holiday!"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of February 2006

Hotels near Bristol Hotel

Top traveller tips for Bristol Hotel

• Bombadier by Bombadier

"Be open minded, depends on what you are looking for in a Hotel & the cost is a factor. Best for location, close to all shops/bars/restaurants. Reviews are merely individual expectations. "