Winter wonderland

Reviewed Wed 2nd of January 2013

"We stayed for a week just before the skiiing 'season' started. Our room was spacious, quiet, warm and well equiped. We particularly enjoyed the breakfasts (arguably expensive at 20 euro pp), but well worth it - note the hotel does not offer dinner. The facilities included a great indoor pool as well as a large steam room and sauna. All were enjoyed after the cold days out. The staff were very helpful and were keen to help suggest/organise things to do. Their English was much better than my French!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of January 2008

Best in Town

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Great location,service and room.Central to Chamonix with beatiful views of the mountains from the rear rooms (Mont Blanc and slightly more expensive).Traditional breakfast with an abundance of local produce and yummy home baked cakes.Probably the best hotel in Chamonix."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

Loved it

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed at this hotel for two nights. Nice hotel--comfortable beds and staff were very friendly and helpful. Not an easy place to find because it is located in town on the main street where cars are not allowed. We found the underground parking first and just parked there and took the elevator to the hotel reception area. There was no charge for parking. We opted for the continental breakfast at 15 euros per person as we were tired of eating just croissants. One night we did not get much sleep--not the fault of the hotel--lots of school students partying along the streets. I liked the fact that they had a dvd attached to the television and you could select a movie at the reception area and view it in your room at no charge. CNN in europe just not the same as in North America."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2007

Comfort and subtle luxury in the centre of Chamonix

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We decided to get away for our last ski weekend of the season. The first question was where to go..easy Chamonix as we went on the 15th of April, then the choice of hotels. My first choice was the Albert 1er which was full and they suggested "Le Grand Hotel des Alpes". We spent 2 nights there. First impressions of the hotel: Best location, very nice decor, fantastic service and this impressions stuck until the end between the snacks available in the lobby, the chocolate on the pillow before getting in to bed and yet again the warm hospitality. Its the small details that count and this place gets top score on those! Highly recommend and will be booking a room for next season! Only hitch: the car park is impossible to find unless you know the backstreets so be patient!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of May 2007

Great Hotel

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"My husband and I just returned from a week of skiing in Chamonix and stayed at the Grand Hotel des Alpes. On a 1-10 scale, I would give this hotel a 10. I just read the previous review of a person who apparently stayed at the hotel at the same time. As I read their review, I realized that their experience mirrored mine. I loved every aspect of this hotel. The room was beautiful and clean. I also had a Brevant room and loved the view. I am not sure what was better, the hotel staff or the wonderful pastries that were presented to the guests every afternoon. If you want wonderful skiing and an outstanding hotel, stay at the Grand Hotel des Alps."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of February 2007

Home away from home

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We booked 5 days ended up staying for 10 days in february and had a wonderful time there.I wasn't excited at first about staying for so long since I don't ski or do any other winter sports except shopping for a nice pair of boots:-) while my boyfriend is out there fighting the mountain.The hotel soon turned into home for us,fantastic service without being intrusive,excellent facilities,more than 100 dvds at our disposal to take upstairs in the room,free wi-fi throughout the hotel,which for me was a blessing since I stayed most of the time in the cosy lobby downstairs.They serve complementary delicious cakes and snacks around a buffet table from 3 pm till 8 pm and every other night the management invited the guests downstairs for drinks.The attention to details was their trademark.They have around 10 people working at the concierge desk round the clock to make sure they provide at no extra cost whatever you might need ( sandwiches and lunch brought in the room from a cafe in town,they mail parcels for you or run errands such as finding a GSM shop in town and ordering a Nokia N73 phone for me which they didn't stock so that it would arrive in time for valentine's day ).They were amazing,all of them and some of it maybe because the manager was italian and you could tell the difference from a french run hotel,less snobbiness and more friendly service with a smile.Rooms were very nice with very luxurious duvets and bed linen,bathroom towels and robe impecably soft.The view from the window was amazing,we had a Brevent view which was supposed to be less spectacular than the Mont Blanc view.Swimming pool,sauna,jacuzzi and on-site masseuse,what more could you want?We live in Monaco and travel a lot but we've never felt so at home in a hotel,except maybe the Four Seasons in Milan or the other Chamonix top hotel Hameau Albert .But the price was 3 times as much as we paid here.You'll love it!"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007

Excellent experience!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the hotel in December 2006 for about 5 days. We had an incredible time.

The hotel staff is extremely friendly, accomodating and professional - it's run by Italians. The hotel is lovely - well decorated, appointed and clean. The main lobby is charming with a great fireplace and newspapers and DVD's on offer. It is also in a great location. It's entrance is to the main street and close to casual and formal restaurants - which is important as the hotel does not provide lunch or dinner, only snacks, drinks and breakfast.

Every day around 3-4 pm, the hotel puts out canapes and desserts for guests and a piano player tickles the ivory at the same time in the library. It's all very charming and civilized.

The breakfast area is clean, well decorated and appetizing. The food is varied and of good quality. The pool and sauna are clean and there is a very nice lady available for massages. She uses great massage oils.

The best part for us was the indoor parking garage which has direct access to the hotel. What a convenience with luggage and skis - esp. when it's snowing outside!

We were booked into the 4th floor room which you can see on their web-site. When we got to the room, my husband felt incredibly uncomfortable and claustraphobic. The room actually must be a converted attic. It's very cave-like. He also felt it is a real fire hazard as there are no emergency exits and only 4 small potholes for windows.

We immediately requested another room. The staff was incredibly understanding, courteous and helpful. They treated our request with great professionalism. Although we had to stay in the room for the first night, they managed to switch us to a regular room on the 3rd floor. They went out of their way to ask the couple checking in that day into the 3rd floor room whether they would mind staying in the 4th floor attic instead. Incredibly and thankfully, they did not mind the switch. This way we got to stay on the 3rd floor. The entire process was efficient, professional and importantly - there was no drama! In fact, this is one of the main reasons I am writing this review - as thanks! This hotel and it's staff is a class act!"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of January 2007

lovely hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We I stayed in a mountain-view room for 3 nights in the end of September, 2006. The room we stayed was lovely - elegant dark wood furniture, large balcony (it looked bigger than other balconies), and spacious modern bathroom. The hotel logo was embroiled on the white pillow cases, towels and bath gowns. Only small concern I had initially was the view from the windows. We saw more of a town and trees than mountains, however the mountains including Mont-Blanc were visible at a corner when we stepped out into the balcony. Note that it didn't seem like all the mountain-view rooms have balconies (or bath tabs).

People who worked in the hotel were polite and kind. They dressed well and looked professional. Warm gestures were often seen, for example, we were escorted to our room when we checked in, and we found fresh towels in the bathroom and chocolates on the beds in night. The location of the hotel was convenient next to stores and restaurants.

Keep in mind that the hotel required a deposit for a reservation, so make sure to check a cancellation policy before booking a room."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of October 2006

Loved this hotel!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for one night earlier this month and just loved it. When we arrived the receptionist was very friendly, took us up to our room, showed us all the amenities, and pointed out the views from our windows. The walls were a darker color wood but not in a bad way at all. Our room had three windows and there was plenty of light. The bed was extremely comfortable with lovely duvets. We also used the indoor pool and sauna which was very nice after a day of hiking. The location is excellent, among all the shops and restaurants but set back from the street a little way. It was not noisy at night and our room was on the street side. The only complaint I have is that breakfast was a little steep at 15 euros a person. We chose not to do that and just went down the street to a patisserie for much cheaper. Overall, would highly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

1st Class Hotel, Loved it!!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Stayed here two nights. We got a room on the back (river) side; much quieter than the front, facing the square. Staff was professional and accomodating. Room was luxurious and beautifully appointed. Would stay here again anytime."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

i must have stayed at a different hotel?

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"we booked a suite overlooking the river. the rooms were quite sober and dark, the couch looked frayed and Very well used. the bedroom had a little tv sitting on the desk - the kind you could pick up at costco for under $150. not that we went there to watch tv, but one of the chairs on our balcony was broken, one of the sinks in our bathroom wouldn't drain, not enough towels, maids never showed up for turndown one night. petite dejuner was a little odd; mars bars and bounty candy bars included in the bakery basket...odd... the porter pounded on our door one morning to collect our bags when our 'do not disturb' sign was on - oops, he mixed us up with the couple across the hall that was checking out. when I asked the reception clerk for a local map he handed me one, told me it was the hotel's map, and not to take it. he advised me that if I wanted a map of my own I could go to the local tourist office. likewise he regarded me suspiciously when I asked if I could borrow a copy of their michelin guide to read in my room - the book was in their library. I practically had to promisde my firstborn to get his okay to take the book out of his sight - obviously he thought I would steal it...and this made me feel quite uncomfortable."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Fab, fab, fab!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Our journey to Chamonix started with an atmospheric train ride through the Alps and I was absolutely awed by the beauty of the area. The hotel complimented its surroundings perfectly. Our room overlooked the stream running along the back of the hotel and the balcony had a great view of a snowcapped Mont Blanc. You could just melt into the deck chair on the balcony, it is so amazingly restful...Bedroom was super comfy, with puffy pillows, the duvet turned down every night with a complimentary bar of chocoloate. Breakfast was excellent, attention to detail was fantastic- we were even asked how many mins we wanted our eggs boiled...The jacuzzi and indoor pool were great, felt very private. Staff were very accomodating. Dvds are free to borrow from the reception but with the amazing mountains and romantic bedroom, we recommend spending time together and with the great outdoors."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of May 2006