About Hotel de la Darse

• desk

Excellent value for money

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Pros:
Excellent location. 5 minute walk for the main area of shops and restaurants. Really nice walk along the citadel.
View was wonderful from our room (31). Breakfast on the balcony was lovely.
Friendly staff. Pleasant to deal with.
Clean rooms. Fesh towels everyday.
Value for money. E75 per night for 2 people b&b.

Cons:
Reception closed at 9.30pm. Personally I prefer a 24 hour reception but that's just me!
Normally it doesn't bother me if a hotel has no bar, but I would have liked one here to be able to come back at night and have a glass of wine.
No elevator. Would have been handy for all the bags.

Basically this hotel offers excellent value for money. It's a real little gem and I would definitely condider staying here again. Villefranche is beautiful and has some wonderful restaurants. For anyone interested here's my input on a few of them:

LA FILLE DU PECHEUR: Along the seafront. Went in to have dinner one evening and after being seated we were left for 15-20 mins without anyone even approaching us. It wasn't a particularly busy night but the waiter seemed more interested in watching football than serving us! We left and went elsewhere.

MICHEL'S: Didn't have dinner here but had several glasses of champagne and the overall feeling was very positive. Friendly attentive staff and the food appeared to be very good.

LA PIAZZA: Fod was not good. Service was better. Cheap. Would not recommend.

LA CARAVELLE: Excellent! Ate hear twice and both night were very high standard. Extremely pleasant atmosphere, friendly staff and lovely food that was very reasonable in price.

AU CLAIR OBSCURE: Another gem. Excellent food and service. Highly recommended!

LE CALYPSO: Had lunch here twice. Very reasonable. Friendly staff. Mussels were great!!

TRAVERSTE (sp?): Along the seafront. Very average food. And not particularly cheap. Would not recommend.

And finally Chateau Le Chevre D'or in Eze village. Unfortunately didn't get to have dinner here. (With starters ranging from E59 up, it was a little out of our budget!) We did visit the terrace bar for a drink and it was well worth it. Expensive but worth it for the views and the experience!"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of May 2006

Wonderful bargain, not cheap

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"We went to the hotel not knowing what to expect. The staff was helpful pleasant and friendly, the rooms were immaculate and newly renovated, the views more lovely every time you looked out the window. You are close to everything without being in the middle of a heavy traffic area. I recommend walking along the sea wall at the base of the Citadel to go anywhere. It is lovely any time of day. I cannot say enough about this hotel. It is a gem"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of May 2006

Beautiful views, good value

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Great hotel! Recommend requesting top floor room with balcony, but be prepared to bring luggage up steps as they have no elevator. Breakfast can be brought to your room in the morning and you can eat outside while enjoying the beautiful views of the water. One drawback is the longer walk from the train station. Hotel Welcome is better situated in the center of the town. Showers are handheld and there are no hairdryers. Clean, orderly and friendly, I would stay there again. Great town, a must-see stopover!"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of September 2005

Wonderful view

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Darse in August. We had one of the rooms that had not been renovated yet, but we loved the room. We slept with the windows open and it was lovely. The view from our third floor balcony was priceless. I would highly recommend visiting Villefranche and this hotel. We only stayed one night, but we would love to go back to this delightful little village. Also do not miss eating at the Au Clair Obscur. The staff of that restaurant was very friendly, and the food was out of this world. The one drawback to our room was that it did not have a hair dryer."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of August 2005

Incredible value!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"From the outside the Darse still looks like the cheap, shabby hotel I used to stay at years ago but stepping into the reception area revealed a remarkable improvement. The public areas and some of the bedrooms have been completely refurbished to a very high standard, a change that thankfully is not reflected in the price of rooms.

For 70 euros, including breakfast, I was given an immaculate room, furnished to a higher standard than I have sometimes experienced in hotels three or four times the price, yards from the marina and with a marvellous view of the bay from the small balcony. I honestly don't believe that there is such good value for money anywhere else in this, the smartest part of the Riveira.

The owner told me that the bedrooms are gradually being refurbished and that so far seven have been completed, including the installation of air conditioning, a must for me during the summer months. She is happy for guests to request refurbished rooms when booking. Mine was number 31 on the third floor (US 4th) , which some people might find a struggle without a lift.

There was an excellent continental breakfast, with delicious croissants and cafe au lait, although it seems to be necessary to ask for hot milk for the coffee.

I used to be a big fan of the Hotel Welcome but the refurbished rooms at the Darse now provide a similar standard at less than half the price. When I suggested to the owner that it would be worth concentrating on improving the external appearance, she said that she would do that only after all the rooms have been refurbished."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of April 2005

Loved Hotel Darse

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"A very nice hotel for the money, especially during the off season of late October/early November. We paid about 65 euros for a room. The only downfall is that it could be rainy, which it was the whole time during our visit. :(

Try to get a room with the double balcony on the (third?) floor. Amazing view of the water. The bathroom was really large and the room was very clean and simple.

Definitely would stay there again and recommend it to others as a good value."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of March 2005

Good value, great location

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Typical 2-star hotel based on my experiences as a seasoned European traveller. Not plush, but clean and adequate. No lift, but rooms are a nice size for this category. The bathrooms are a little small. We stayed in a garden view room, but the ocean view rooms seem to have a little more space and a million dollar view. The hotel is in a quiet location, but an easy walk to town. The owner is very friendly, fluent in English, and very helpful. She provides the kind of service we'd all love to have at small hotels like this but don't always get in France. Parking can be dicey if travelling by car, but there are usually spaces close to the hotel in the evening."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of September 2004

Very nice but too hot in the room!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I stayed here in August after reading the positive reviews on tripadvisor. The town is very pretty - a nice place to sit at a seaside bar and drink the days away. The hotel itself is quite nice and clean and the hotel staff are exceptionally helpful. The nicest part of the room was the balcony overlooking the sea - definitely book one of these rooms if you decide to stay here. The reason that I am giving the hotel only 3 stars was that it was uncomfortably hot in the room, and it didn't have air conditioning. It was also very difficult to sleep with the french doors open because the street outside is very noisy. There are apparently rooms with air conditioning - If you decide to stay here in the summer try to book one of these - I think the price will be the same."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of August 2004

A Nice way to spend a week in Villefrance-Sur-Mer

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My family and I just spent 3 nights at this lovely hotel with a lot of hospitality and cosyness. We were very pleased to stay there and will return again and again. A lovely way to spend a week; the hotel is good, the view is wonderful, the owner and the staff are nice people, the town is beautyful and the water at the local beach is soft and warm.
Best regards, Niels Landrock"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of July 2004

Love this hotel!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel twice now, in 1994 and 2004, and it is such a great place, you CANNOT beat the value of it. I rank it as excellent not because it is a high star rating, but because for the price you will never find such a great room with such a stunning view. Since I stayed there 10 years ago I searched it out again last year and the prices really were not much different, and I would search it out again the next time I visit. We slept with the French doors open, and woke up to the ocean, wondering which cruise ship would be in the the bay today. Definately choose the ocean view rooms, not much more and worth the tiny extra price!!!

There were only a couple things I wished I had when I was there, for example there is only one electrical plug in the room, and we need to charge things like the camera battery, use a blow dryer etc. Having a handle to hold up the bathtub sprayer so you could shower without holding the nozzle would have been so appreciated, since it's hard to wash your hair one hand at a time!

The new owner is wonderful and we enjoyed talking with her, she is really looking to satisfy her guests by offering such great value.

We so enjoy the walk to the beach or train station, very very scenic and there are such wonderful shops. If you have seen the movie "Dirty Rotten Scroundrels" with Michael Caine and Steve Martin, and loved the area, you'll need to go to this town since it was filmed in this area."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

Hotels near Hotel de la Darse

Hotel de la Darse is also called

• Hotel Darse