Façade

Highly recommended hotel

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Have just returned from a week in Nice, staying at the Nouvel Hotel. This hotel was great value and the location was excellent! The staff were very friendly and accommodating, and the rooms, although small, were spotlessly clean and ample for two people. The breakfasts were more than adequate and quite reasonably priced. The lift was very small indeed, but was a welcome alternative to walking up six flights of stairs, which we didn't do too often! The only complaint I would have is that the air-conditioning was not very good...this may be because we were on the 6th (the top) floor, our friends were also on this floor and theirs was exactly the same, however people we spoke to on the third floor said theirs were perfect. Because of this we could not keep water and soft drinks (and wine!) cold for very long, and therefore hounded the hotel staff for ice constantly. A small fridge, and also tea/coffee making facilities would have been very welcome. All in all, we very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone as a base for their stay in this beautiful place."

• Travel date: 5th July 2005

Nice for the price

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Generally this was a good spot to stay in Nice. Not far from the beaches and close to the train station for day trips out of the city. The room was a good size for the price, and was clean and comfortable. My only complaint is that the fixture holding our shower head to the wall was broken, so you had to hold it in your hand to shower. A bit inconvenient, but I've dealt with worse! We were a bit disgruntled to find that breakfast was not included in the room price, and was 6€ per head. I would prefer if they just automatically included it in the room price. It's not bad value when you look at what the restaurants in the vicinity charge for the same thing, but far better value is to be had by visiting a lovely bakery up the street and getting some really fresh croissants....! Overall, not bad for the price and I would generally recommend it to others. Watch out for the older lady who acts as receptionist in the evenings - she's quite grumpy!"

• Travel date: 19th June 2005

Highly recommended

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"Stayed here for a week at the end of May, 2005. The hotel's location is excellent as it is close to everywhere you would want to visit. Main shopping street - 2 minutes, beach - 10 mins, Old Town - 15mins. The staff could not be bettered. Nothing was too much trouble. There was one girl at the desk who seemed to work very long hours and who was extremely helpful and efficient. I don't know her name, but she was an attractive girl who wore glasses. Our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The area around the hotel is very pleasant as it is located in a tree lined avenue. The breakfast is something of an experience. Everything is placed upon a tray and I must confess I never actually got to grips with where I was supposed to cut and butter the croissant. All in all this is an excellent budget priced hotel and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone."

• Travel date: 18th June 2005

Nouvel Hotel, Nice

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We stayed at the Nouvel Hotel in June 2004. It was clean, and in a good position for restuarants and the beach (10 minutes walk away) The area was pleasant and quiet. Overall a very good choice."

• Travel date: 12th June 2005

Terrific Hotel

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"A very nice hotel. It was very clean, comfortable, and in an excellent location on a tree-lined street. It is a ten or fifteen minute downhill walk from the train station and five or ten minute walk to the water. The breakfast room was very nice, but neither cereal nor decaffinated coffee. The gal at the front desk, Toryll, was very helpful. Most of the guests seemed to be from Scandanavia. I would stay there again if in Nice."

• Travel date: 22nd May 2005

Excellent value for money

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"bOOKED this hotel through bmi and it was a bargain and we thought we could trust their recommendation. Clean and friendly reception with helpful staff who went through train times for Monaco with us, had good maps, general info etc. 15 mins walk to the train station and 5 misn to the main promenade. Small ish rooms but fully functional and clean so unless you want to hibernate in them , perfectly suitable for a weekend trip. TV, adequate storage space, shower was good..no complaints. Lovely balcony and view over the boulevard vic hugo. This hotel is right in the centre of town. We loved Nice and this hotel definately was a bargain which allowed us to spend our money on the food and wine (which in Nice is not cheap so best save on the hotel!)"

• Travel date: 20th April 2005

Lovely location but not a class act

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"Some elderly staff members were not friendly. Bathrooms extremely small and rugs weren't in the best of shape. I had to go across the street (another hotel) for a decent map of Nice and to have some questions answered. My room door was unlocked when I came back from a day on the town. We stayed a week and you get only 2 bars of soap, two plastic cups, and two shampoos (thank goodness I'm bald). I would not stay here again."

• Travel date: 8th April 2005

Cute Rooms Showing Wear

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"If arriving by train, be sure to take a taxi to the Nouvel Hotel. It's a short trip and otherwise you have to cross through less desirable areas. Wonderful Belle Epoque exterior to the hotel. Lobby is glaringly new with limestone floor and mirrors. Staff friendly and gave good dinner recommendations. TINY elevator. Small room and bath. Matching drapes and bedspreads in pretty blue, yellow and white 'provence' print. Carpet and furniture were showing wear. We had a room over-looking a church with wonderful tolling bells. See picture for sunset view out true tall french doors. Large breakfast room. Nice, average breakfast. About five city block walk to famous pedestrian mall with plenty of restaurants to choose from with excellent people watching vantages. My 21 yr old daughter and I did it in the evening and felt safe. About two more long blocks to the beach. Note: car rental at railroad station enabled us to drive over to Monaco and other beach areas for the day. Wonderful views."

• Travel date: 17th March 2005

good, quiet location

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"Stayed here for 2 nights in feb 2005. Very nice hotel. Excellent value for money and in a great location. Only 2 mins walk to the main cafe/restaurant lined streets. Bedrooms are quite basic but clean and well kept. Continental breakfast served 7-10 and ready waiting for you. Would stay again if ever go back to sunny Nice."

• Travel date: 4th March 2005

good location on tree lined street

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"good location on tree lined street, close to everything. clean small room w/ balcony view of inner courtyard. got good rate on expedia $55usd inc tax (dec. 04). would stay again."

• Travel date: 17th December 2004