Hotel Negresco

37 Promenade des Anglais, 06000 Nice France

Bad Service for a Pricy Hotel

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We stayed at a lovely 3 star hotel in Montpellier, France for 3 days Le Jardin des Sens before arriving to the Hotel Negresco (a 5 star). I would have to say we were extremely dissappointed by the service offered by the so called 5 star hotel. Our 3 star hotel provided MUCH better service by going out of their way to make sure we were completely taken care of. The Hotel Negresco charges for EVERYTHING and for the price you will be paying for a room there there are certain things that should be included as an ammenity to your room. Such as an adaptor for outlets or say the "private" beach they have for their guests. All these things they will charge you extra for if you ask for them. Our previous hotel NEVER once charged us and it was rated 3 stars and in my opinion was much classier and gave MUCH better service than the Negresco. So just don't expect too much service from your 5 star choice when you choose to stay at the Negresco in Nice."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2005

Good location but needs imrpovement

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We have just returned from our vacation in Nice where we stayed 3 nights at Negresco. One has to be prepared to step in an antiquities shop. Therefore, if you do not like the smell of old furniture and carpets, Negresco will not be your first choice. Also for all those searching for a calm place to enojy the sound of the sea Negresco will serve no good since the hotel is located right on the Promenade, and the sound of car motors is much louder than the sea could be even during a storm. However, what Negresco can do for you is to let you step back into 18th century with the calm solemnity of portaits of Louis 14 and Maria-Theresia and luxuriousness of red velvet armchairs. I would say that Negresco is the place for those looking for a fairy tail and adventure rather than for those looking for comfort. As rightly mentioned by other commentors the hotel is missing many musts of any modern hotel (spa, low level servive, small and unequipped beach), however the hotel offers an incredible atmosphere that is unique only to Negresco."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2005

Don't stay at the Negresco

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"This hotel is a dump. While the opulent exterior of the hotel seems to imply quality on the inside, the opposite is true. We stayed in room 558 which was probably last refurbished in the 1970's. The bathroom had no toilette paper and there was a sound of rats coming from the outside court which looked more than dillapidated once you peeked outside through a tiny window.

The staff stinks. Unfriendly and pretentious. Be aware, if they happen to be too friendly, it's probably because they are trying to rip you off. Don't let the concierge arrange a cab ride to the airport. The consierge will tell you that a ride to the airport will cost you EUR 40, but you might end up paying EUR140 instead. That's about $200 in today's exchange rate.

Moreover, the hotel is located in a seedy neighbourhood. On the last night of our stay we went to get some gas at a nearby Elf Gas station. The Promenade des Anglais was filled with prostitutes and occasional pimps.

Nice is an alive place with a lot of outdoor cafes filled with young people who are having a good time. If you want to have a good time, don't stay at the Negresco. It's not worth it."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

Like nothing else

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"My wife and I have just come back from spending 2 nights in the Hotel Negresco. I was amazing! From the moment you step in to the hotel you feel like royalty. The staff are excellent and nothing is too much trouble. We were given a room that overlooked the sea which was breathtaking.

If you like the boring american style hotels where once inside you could be anywhere then this is not for you, but if you want a place to remember for being extra special then this is a must.

Our only regret is that we did not stay for longer......."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

A unique European beauty

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I and my husband and two children, aged 11 and 13, stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Negresco and loved the experience. It is truly a unique jewel. I've stayed in many 5-star American hotels and a few European ones, and the Hotel Negresco was unlike anything else. We stayed in adjoining rooms, 217 and 218, for about 400 Euros each. The decor was elegant, in an old-fashioned way, with incredible azur blue and brilliant white in one room and coral and sand tones in the other. Yes, things are a bit worn around the edges, but it's supposed to be: the place harkens back to the Belle Epoque. It's as close to a museum as you're likely to see. Most astounding of all is the art collection in the hallways and rotunda. Where else can you stay, and see a Titian on the wall, Napolean's bed in the corridor, and Baccarat crystal chandelier indended for the last Russian Czar?

The staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. If you love art and want a unique experience, you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of April 2005

Truly AMAZING

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"I booked only one night in the Hotel Negresco for my parents in December (sadly saving the second night for a disappointing stay in Monoco) using my accumulated AMX points. Thus, I automatically assumed our service would be substandard. How WRONG I was!

EVERYTHING in the Hotel Negresco was just as it should be for a hotel of its class and the hotel is truly a museum. The reception kindly escorted us on a historical tour of the hotel up to the room and even freely upgraded the original room to what I believe he called a courtyard view -- but the courtyard view had practically a full view of the sea! Needless to say, my parents were quite impressed.

I guess not having paid full price for the room perhaps I have a different opinion, BUT nonetheless I will definately keep my eyes open for deals at the Hotel Negresco."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of February 2005

Terrible

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"This hotel was horrendous for the cost of the room!!!! I stayed three nights in the negresco and the rooms were very very old!!! The green and pink tiles in the bathroom were very dirty and the carpet in the room was of a disgusting brown color (not to mention the fact that it was patched up quite a bit). There was a cheap plastic film placed over the fabric of the bead's headrest. The absurd fact is that for the same amount you can go at the Hermitage in Montecarlo which is much better, not to mention the awsome Hotel de paris in Montecarlo!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of February 2005

fabulous

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"Our short stay was a dream come true. The service is truly astonishing in this day and age, one was made to feel like Royalty. We were very comfortable in our lovely room overlooking the Med.
Nothing was too much trouble for Mme Augier's staff and her impeccable taste was reflected in everything about the Negresco.
You will have a really memorable stay here"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of January 2005

4 stars deluxe????

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I can confirm the bad reviews of the Negresco. Spent some time there with my parents over thirty years ago and went back recently after a lovely stay at La Réserve de Beaulieu. It took them one hour to bring the luggage to a room not worth three stars. Everything dated: furniture, bathroom, lighting, etc. Fitness room is small and useless; no spa. Breakfast is worse than in most chain hotels I know, but the restaurant, La Rotonde, has an incredible decor. Restaurant Le Chantecler is very good,in contrast to the rest of the hotel. Virtually no service at the hotel. Terribly disappointing! The building is interesting but everything should be reviewed to bring the hotel up to standard."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of August 2004

Fabulous and unique but not for those who want boring corporate experience

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"This place is just fabulous. Can't believe all the moans expressed. It seems to me that these are from people who just want everything to be big, flashy and glitzy. If you want a coporate chain hotel - go and stay in one. The Negresco has European granduer, elegance and charm. It really is a one off experience."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of August 2004

Hotels near Hotel Negresco

Stayed at Hotel Negresco? Share your insight.

Hotel Negresco is also called