Great Resort

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Just returned back after staying for 5 nights with my wife & 2 children.
Great hotel (as advertised), beach bar and private beach great, although busy at weekends.
Hotel restaurant (calypso) not up to much, although you are spoilt for choice with plenty of various restaurants right outside the hotel.
Only complaint was the hotel courtesy bus from the airport, difficult to find and the taxi's are really expensive - 25 euros for a 7 minute journey.
Good shopping mall (250 yards from hotel) 'cap3000'.
Recommend this hotel to all and will definitely be going back !"

• Travel date: Mon 21st of May 2007

I now understand the expression Whinging Poms

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I never really understood the expression "Whinging Poms" until I read the review of this hotel and then stayed there. The resort is fantastic!! Myself my wife and my 14 month old daughter stayed there for a week and returned on Saturday.

The rooms are Typically 4 star - and believe me I know about 4 star hotels. I spend a lot of time in them for work. If there is something to complain about then it's that its not a 5 star hotel!!

There is a promenade outside the hotel which has so many restaurants that they will cater for all tastes. Indian Chinese Thai French European - what ever you want to eat....

If you want to avoid whinging poms then stay away from this resort. It is full of English people who seem to be of the assumtion that if English is not your first language then you must be stupid!!

It is beautiful, with Nice a short drive away, Cannes another short drive in the other direction and the Corniches and Monte Carlo are a must!! Where else would you see a pair of Bulgari sunglasses for sale at €68,000.00!!

I would recommend this resort to anyone but given that it's France, you may want to make sure you are hungry between 12.00 and 15.00 and 19.30 and midnight otherwise you won't eat anywhere!!

And by the way, the photos on the website exactly match the resort!!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

A Lovely Hotel!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"After reading the previous two reviews (one of which we read prior to travelling on 23.07.06), I feel compelled to write my own review of this hotel. My husband and I stayed for twelve nights with our two teenage children during July/August 2006. We found the staff friendly and helpful (we contacted reception on arrival at the airport and the shuttle bus collected us within 10 mins). The rooms are nice and well equipped with a fridge, complimentary tea/coffee tray and bathroom toiletries etc.... The location is a good base for exploring the cote d'azure, and the shuttle bus will take/collect you from the airport, in order for you to use the local buses. Breakfast is excellent however, try having it served in your room, it is on time and lovely. The beach/pool complex is very nice, and ideal for families with young children, as it is safe and secure. The service is also good, we did not have to queue or wait any time for anything we requested. There is an excellent choice of restaurants from cheap and cheerful to very good (but not too expensive). Calypso has the best location but Dylano's, also on the front overlooking the med, was our choice for a lunchtime snack or a light evening meal such as pizza, salad pasta etc... On the whole we found the hotel to be excellent value for money, with very friendly and helpful staff and in a good location (bearing in mind the hotels/restaurants in Nice are far more expensive). The ONLY downside is that the culture in the evening is very much 'dinner' and our teenagers found this a little boring. Therefore, if you are taking teenagers, take a pack of cards or board games to keep them amused in the evening!"

• Travel date: Sat 5th of August 2006

Rapidly going downhill

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My partner and I stayed at this hotel last year and found it okay. This year we returned for 3 nights and quite frankly couldn't wait to leave. Half of the rooms were unlet, yet we were refused a sea view in spite of having booked a superior room three months previously. The Hotel Receptionist was extremely hostile. The whole area has become somewhat delapidated and the rooms were not cleaned until about 4 to 5 each day. The cleaning staff were very pleasant but under immense pressure. We paid our admission to the pools and had to wait three hours for towels! This hotel is definitely on the way out."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Not a 4 Star Hotel

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"My wife and my four children spent two weeks in the South of France during June/July. For the final four days of our trip we stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort in St Laurent du Var outside Nice. Overall it was an excellent holiday but our stay at this hotel was very disappointing. In our view this hotel is closer to a three star than a four star. The entire property has a very dated feel about it and the photographs on the Holiday Inn website do not accurately depict what the hotel actually looks like. For starters the swimming pool and the lunch and dinner restaurants are not on the property itself but across a promenade. Local residents have access to the hotel pool and beach and when we arrived one Sunday morning we had to queue for appoximately 20 minutes to pay €7 each to get into the complex. The pool area was packed and the water was very dirty and overall it did not feel like we were in a four star hotel. The location of the hotel was also very disappointing. St Laurent du Var has a tacky feel about it with a lot of grafitti in the town itself. The hotel is located in what I can only describe as a retail park which is great for shopping but not exactly a picturesque location for a holiday hotel. In the hotel itself we had to ask up to three or four times a day to get room keys replaced as it was impossible to gain access to our room. Staff were surpised that our keys would not work but however on speaking to other guests we found that many people were having the same problem. I know other reviewers rated the breakfast but we found the cooked food tasteless.
On a positive note I would say that the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Overall though this feels like a hotel in decline and not one we would recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006

Good Hotel

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Good hotel in a good location. Excellent breakfast with a big selection of foods (from hot to cold, from pastry to yoghurts). Pool area nice with nice restaurants nearby. Lots of watersports on the beach aswell."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of June 2006

Not as good as it used to be, but still a good option

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"We chose this hotel again this year because of its location. It's very convenient for the airport, car-hire,railway station, beach and is within walking distance of 50-60 restaurants- from snack bars to very good quality French cuisine and seafood restaurants.
The views over the Med from the sea-view rooms are worth the extra charge and the hotel provides a secure environment which is ideal for families. The hotel introduced a 7.5 Euro charge per adult per day for using the beach for the first time in 2005- this is par for the course for many hotels on the Cote d'Azur, but is rather annoying, especially as the hotel guests on the beach receive the same inconsistent service as the locals paying for using the beach. Some of the watersports on offer are very expensive, but the food served on the beach is of good quality and reasonably priced.

The breakfast served in Le Lavandin offers a satisfactory choice, but the service can be typically French. One waitress on duty during August 2005 had a less than satisfactory attitude towards guests and her attire left a great deal to be desired.
Le Calypso beach front restaurant provides good value for money and friendly service in a brilliant location. Bar service is excellent but lounge areas are limited.

Front desk staff are very attentive and helpful, rooms are clean and reasonably well equipped, but sea-view rooms lack those extra touches that you'd expect at this price band. Sea-view family rooms are still quite good value in high-season for this part of the Med. at approx. £185 for two adults and two children with breakfast. However, the shift in emphasis from a family orientated service to attracting large companies for seaside conferences (based on financial incentive, no doubt)came as a bit of a surprise in peak-season.

Still a good alternative if you want something quieter than Nice in high season."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of November 2005

Very good hotel, but not a "proper resort".

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Saint-Laurent du Var was my choice as a base in the Riviera. With a GPS (I hate maps) and a rented car, I easily travelled, in 10-20 minutes, to Cannes, Nice, Antibes, Monaco, Villefranche... The hotel is very good, altough located between the sea and the motorway... Rooms are clean, comfortable (altough pillows are ridiculously cheap), some have a nice view to the sea. Breakfast is really excellent, with very good service. The hotel is not a classical resort: it is in a Cancun-style horizontal building shared with private-condominiums... The private beach and pool complex (guests pay a special price - 7 Euros per day) is not bad, with artificial sand, and nice pools. The view to the Nice's airport runway - and the sound of airplanes every minute - is not very attractive. Very good choice of restaurants nearby. Try the Calypso for lunch or dinner. Do not hesitate to ask for special prices (I had 2 two rooms, for 7 days, and they charged 150 Euros/room/day - not bad). In the end, it was a cost-effective choice. But when one goes to Cannes, one wonders whether a sea-front classical hotel there would not have been a better choice. Unfortunately, the Holiday Inn Resort does not have the charm one expects from the Riviera."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of June 2005

Very Nice but overpriced

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Free courtesy bus collects you from bus stop no. 6 (after you ring the hotel) Go for a seaview room (and make sure you get it floor 3 or higher have them and well work it). Rooms good size with large balcony. Breakfast was wery good served inside or outside weather permitting.
I found the staff average with the exception of the bar man and breakfast staff who were excellent.

I paid €180 for the room which I believe is good but I think it was overpriced. You also have to pay €7 each to use their own private beach and pool (which is ice cold) I did give out about this as I was never informed untill I arrived.

I is close to restauraunts all average to above average with one or two exceptions which were wery good.

I wuld stay there again as location is very good."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2005

nice in nice

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"holiday inn port saint laurent decent hotel in a quiet area on the outskirts of Nice. Mini bus difficult to locate when you arrive at airport so make sure you have the hotels phone no. It cost us 25 euro from the airport to the hotel, (which you can see from the hotel). No airport noise so that was not a
problem. The beach and private pool very nice and clean. The rooms were large a little dinngy but clean and includes mini bar fridge and tea and coffee. Seperate loo from bathroom but no basin in the loo. Bus stop and trains to Cannes Nice and Monte Carlo about 5 min walk. Would stay there again but is quite expensive for a resort Hotel. If you want a good place to eat try Le Santana which is to your right when you walk along the promenade to the front off the hotel. Lots of nearby reastaurants with expensive wine price. Taxis are few and far between in Nice so make sure about the bus return times on an evening, because they do stop running about 8.30pm."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of September 2004