About Le General Hotel

• babysitting
  • portuguese amenities

They lost my booking

Reviewed 9 months ago

"It's difficult to write a review for a hotel that says " No we don't have a booking for you and unfortunately we are full and cannot help you". My travel agent changed the booking from a single room to a double room. Le General cancelled the single room and forgot/could not be bothered/had incompetent staff/ to book the double room even though they sent through a confirmation of the change and had received payment for the room. The apology note and the bottle of Champagne sent to my new hotel the next day just didn't compensate for the stress caused at 10pm the night before. If you are happy to fly for x amount of hours with no guarantee that your booking actually exist's I can highly recommend this hotel. Otherwise book elsewhere."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2018

Very average

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"The positives:

Good location. It's not really my preferred area but having Oberkampf and Republique stations nearby was nice.

The building facade and lobby were pleasant and well-lit. I thought the front desk staff was very nice. I suppose they had to be as the superior room we had booked and pre-paid was not available for that night and we'd be moved the next night. They made the move very easy, however. The desk is opened 24 but with a buzzer in the later hours.

The beds and furnishings were new-ish and very clean and comfortable. Having seen two different class of rooms I can say that size is really the only difference. In fact we might've preferred the standard bc of the big window we had in that bath-just a personal thing, I like natural light in the bath. The standard we spent one night in was street side but it was fairly quiet at night so we weren't disturbed and I thought the windows were very soundproof.

The downside:

You can't ignore that this place has had only VERY LIGHT RENOVATIONS done. The photos show plasma screens and beautiful vessel sinks. I suppose those are in the suites. The superior and standard rooms do not get this lavish treatment.

Let's start with the bath. There's a new pedestal sink and the fixtures look new. The toilet-not new. The tiles look like they are the originals from whatever this hotel called itself before its current incarnation. Maybe some new grout glommed on in parts but it's chipped and falling off in areas. There is a tacky drop ceiling with far too many point halogen lights installed pointing out all the dust and gunk that gets caught in all the old chips and cracks. You really just don't want to be in there. And the bath products are horrific. I generally like to bring my own but have been so pleasantly surprised by so many hotel amenities lately-NOT HERE.

The carpeting was not nice but they do give you slippers.

The furnishings I did say were new-ish but since it's Ikea-quality veneer type furniture,it was showing its age and will need to be disposed of in the very near future (let's hope).

Could use some paint. Walls were grubby-especially around the switches.

In general, you can do much better at this price point. Paris 3-stars are dicey but I've stayed in much nicer for around the same price point. Was deceived by the enticing publicity shots, I guess.

Will probably not return and would not recommend to anyone I know."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of November 2005

Horrible! Stay anywhere else....

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Horrible hotel. Made me schlep all over the city with bags after problems with hotel and rooms not available. They asked me to write a letter (which I spent time out of my very busy day doing), and they did not bother to respond. What a waste of time, effort, money and everything else. Also, complaining to Eurostar for refund since I booked hotel through them. On Eurostar's site, this hotel now has the lowest rating! There are soo many great hotels in Paris, better to stay elsewhere."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of October 2005

Good Location - Decent Rooms

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel through HotelClub. The rate was very good - 125 Euro per night for 4 nights for a double room. The room was small - typical for Paris. The work out room in the basement was a nice extra. The staff was the usual Paris - reserved but not unfriendly. The bed was comfortable and the location was good. The Republique metro was a short walk away and was very right-bank convenient.

I would agree that the hotel is showing its age, and you should check your final bill very carefully - we only ate breakfast there 2 times, but were charged for 4. I asked and they did refund the money - somewhat reluctantly after showing me some book that indicated I had been at breakfast every day."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of October 2005

This was an awful experience

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that there were some watter problems and that our room was no longer available. we were jet lagged and over tired and they did not hesitate to tell us that we had to go to another hotel. it was very suspicious. it was fashion week and our best guess is that they were overbooked and wanted to get rid of us. what an awful way to deal with costumers, i would NOT reccomend this hotel to anyone"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of October 2005

Nice and friendly welcome

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"i've booked this hotel with bootiquehotel.com , a boutique hotel website in Paris. They suggest me that hotel for 150 euros and i had a wonderfull time. The hotel was nice, nice welcome and the decoration is uncommun and very pleasant.
i suggest you this hotel and bootique hotel website"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of September 2005

Not Impresssed

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We just back from spending a weekend in Paris. We booked the hotel last mintue and the price was very high ($288.00 Euros) just for one night because the hotel that we really wanted to stay at was booked. At first, when you walk in the hotel lobby, it trys to be retro but it's looks very cheesey and cheap. The staff is very unhelpful and unfriendly. The rooms are very small, you barely have room to open up a suite case. The bathroom was just "ok". I defintely didn't feel comfortable staying at this hotel and I would not recommand it to any one! We also stayed at different hotel (Radisson SAS) on Champs Elysees the previous night, that was a very Modern and Sleek,excellent 4 stars hotel!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of September 2005

Great value for money

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Public areas as previously stated are really eye-catching and the decor in the rooms is well done as well. Rooms are on the small side and yes the bathrooms could do with a bit of bleach but for the money you pay the location and the standard of the hotel in general is great. Free wi-fi in rooms and very courteous staff add to the package. Would definitely stay here again if visiting the city on a slight budget."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of September 2005

At last a great Paris Hotel

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"At last have found a great hotel in Paris that doesn't cost a fortune! Having been to many really awful hotels in Paris this was a breath of fresh air. As we entered the hotel we were pleasantly surprised by the clean, bright and rather pink foyer. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a suite which was lovely in a minimalistic sort of way and chatting to other guests they were very happy with their rooms. The bar is a bit expensive but great to sit in for a drink at night and then for breakfast in the morning. Breakfast is 12 euros and there's plenty of it and reasonably good quality, one word of warning don't be late as the staff are very quick to finish at the exact time saying that the staff were friendly and helpful. The area around the hotel has plenty restaurants and a few bars but its very easy to use the metro with Republique and Oberkampf 5 minutes walk. I love Paris but haven't had good experiences with hotels and I don't want to spend a lot on accomodation. I would definatly recommend this hotel and I'll be booking it for a wee weekend next year."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of August 2005

Nice Place

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Hotel is well located although cab drivers have regular trouble finding the address. Hotel has a cool, modern design and our room are on the small side- however there are different configuations due to architecture that not all room sizes are the same ( we paid more for a 2 person room and our travel partner was in a double room alone and the room was much larger- and did not pay the additional amount.) Notorious French attitude abounds at the front desk with "no" being as easily said as "yes" could have been. I thought "no" was a no-no at a hotel... at least saying the word no. The bartender in the evenings and the happyhour were great, helpful and aimed to please. Price was good and overall had a good stay."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

Magnifique

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Just back from a two night stay at Le General. The reason it is a 3 star and not a 4 star is only because the rooms are on the smallish size. The hotel was clean,stylish and breakfast ( edible) was an added bonus. The staff were soo lovely. I was feeling below par because of too much sun. I asked the guy at reception if I could have a milky coffee - it was 10.30 on a Saturday night. Not a problem. Made my friend a hot chocolate as well.
The air conditioning was great and the bed comfy. What more could you ask for ? The design is very easy on the eye. And for only £50 per person - excellent value. Would go back again and recommend highly."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of June 2005