Good

over booked

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for this Valentine weekend at the end of December. On arriving after being virtually ingnored for 5 minutes in reception by 2 members of staff, one started to check us in but then the phone rang, it was a call from his wife I think to whom he continued a conversation then walked away, his companion after a few seconds of standing looking dumb then came to continue to check us in! except they did not have a room for us and had booked us into a differant hotel in a not very nice area of paris! I know paris well having lived there, they said they had over booked because of computer problems! Big mistake, I am a general manager of a hotel in london so know what the form is! I insisted they find me a room in the same area of the same rating or better they were loathe ot do this, I insisted eventually they said they would book us into the Bradford - it turns out we were not the only people they had over booked by. I know mistakes happen but the attitude of the staff was appalling.
Luckily the staff at the Bradford were absolutely charming."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of February 2005

Hotel Malte Opera

Good
Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"My son and I had the most incredible vacation of our lives in Paris! The Hotel Malte Opera was a great hotel in the best location. Everything is relatively close by and the neighborhood is one of the safest in Paris. It is a very short walking distance to the Louvre, Place de la Concorde, the Opera, Gallerie Lafayette, and other important sites. I say "short" in the truest sense as my 22 year old son is in a wheel chair and we had no problems travelling with it and accesing everything we wanted to see and do.
The staff is fantastic...friendly, competent and offers great advice on restaurants and everything having to do with Paris. They were genuine in their concern for us and recommended the best restaurant, locally, that I have ever experienced. Their English puts my terrible French to shame.
The rooms are small according to American standards but they have all the ammenities needed for a great stay.
I would stay there again in a heart beat and will be booking a trip back to Paris and the Hotel Malte Opera in the near future."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of November 2004

Trois etoiles? Je ne sais pas!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Tihs hotel is the most disappointing, disgracefully appointed hotel that I have ever stayed in. My wife and I booked a deal with Eurostar, for a different hotel. On arrival there, we were told that there had been a mistake, and that alternative arrangements had been made for us. The alternative, sadly, was the Hotel Malte Opera. First impressions were not helped by the electrical tape used to hold the carpet down outside the hotel room door, but our preconceptions were confirmed upon entry to our tiny, dirty, stuffy room. There were no tea or coffee facilities as promised for our previously booked hotel, and breakfast, at 14 euros per person consisted of stale bread and croissants , ham that looked as though it had been there for a while, cold coffee, and tinned fruit. Hardly the essence of Parisian sophistication. It was a relief to get outside in the morning. I shall be pushing Eurostar for a refund, as it was booked through them, and I shall let you know how I got on. How this hotel got its 3*, I will never know. We stayed in a 2* hotel in Montparnasse on a previous visit to Paris that was infintely better in every respect."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of November 2004

Adequate Hotel, Convenient Location, Has A/C & breakfast!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Located in the 2nd arrondissement, it is right across the street from the Bibliothèque Nationale and about 2 blocks away from the Bourse (Paris stock exchange). It's not in the most beautiful part of Paris as it is the business district, but I would stay there again. It is a conveniently located hotel. We did take a taxi to the hotel from the SNCF/SBB Paris EST train station and it cost us 6.50 Euros, with another 3.50 Euros for our bags & fee for a train pickup but we could have taken the Metro if we wanted. The hotel is a 7 minute walk to the Louvre, with the Seine River right on the other side of the Louvre. The hotel is within 2 blocks of 2 Metro stops (Bourse & Opera). Accommodations were ADEQUATE. You are never going to get American hotel standards in Europe unless you pay significantly. Our room #201, faced away from the street so our room was quiet at night. I found this hotel while surfing through many hotel sites on the web and the photos on the website were exactly as this hotel room looks. The price was right and it was located in the correct arrondissement for us. We paid $158.50 USD/night...this was one of the cheapest 3 star hotels I could find after much research. This was an "add on" after a cruise so we did not want to spend a lot of money on a hotel. The daily breakfast included with your room rate includes a cold breakfast buffet...which consists of yogurt, hard rolls, croissants (chocolate & plain), hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, 2 different types of cheeses, orange juice, milk, water, and very bad coffee. Breakfast is offered until 10:30am, which was nice for a late rising. Was it the best breakfast? No, but it definitely allowed us to be on the "go" for the day, until dinner time with a small snack in between.
Our room was big, compared to other European hotels I've stayed at. Everything in the room was in working order...bed was comfortable...nothing ripped....everything clean and tidy. The double bed is really 2 twins put side by side so if you're looking for a comfortable "together" sleep, forget about it here. You are in your own bed! I liked the mini frig as we put some perishable food products in there during our stay. They have AIR CONDITIONING! which is a luxury at most French hotels. (remember the summer of 2003 & the heatwave France had and all the people that died because of lack of A/C?) There is a significant "leg up" to get in & out of the tub/shower, which does not have a shower curtain...so you soak the bathroom when taking a shower. I'm sure it just helps the maid clean the bathroom better everyday as it's already wet when they get in there. All the other hotels I looked at do not have shower curtains either (and our hotels in Belgium did not as well) so it must be a European thing.
The front desk staff was adequately friendly. They did look up addresses for us & our flight information. They ordered an airport shuttle for us as my husband did not want to take the Metro/RER to the airport. The tiny elevator for you to bring your items up to your room is just like every other tiny elevator every other hotel has in Europe...unless you pay for American standards.
My husband was "eh" if he would ever come back (he could go back & he could not go back to the Hotel Malte Opera) and I am not over-the-top gushing but would stay here again as it was just right for what we needed for our 5 nights in Paris. Not very expensive & close to what we wanted to be close to."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of August 2004

horrible

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My husband and I went to London and Paris for our honeymoon in September 2002. We went to London first, then Paris. We had had a wonderful time in London, and were looking forward to more fun in Paris. We took a cab from the train station (we had taken the chunnel) and couldn't wait to get settled into our room and explore Paris (it was my fourth time, my husband's first; I had suggested other hotels, but my husband's travel agent "highly recommended" this hotel, and he took her advice . . ). I was a little nervous in the lobby; I have done a LOT of travelling, and sometimes you just get a bad vibe in hotels, and I certainly had it. However, I did not want to make my husband feel bad, as he was proud to have arranged the whole trip on his own, and I figured "how bad can it be". Then we got to the room (barely--the elevator was so small we almost had to go up separately). The room was just awful. It smelled, had no art on the walls, no decorations, had an old beat-up mini refrigerator that was not plugged in with the door open as a tv stand, there was duct tape on the carpeting, and it was tiny tiny tiny, looked dirty, just awful. I have NEVER done this before in my life, but I turned to my husband and said "I cannot stay here"; I thought he would perhaps roll his eyes at me, but I noticed that he was mortified, too, and he said "I'll go downstairs and see what I can do".
They told him that he would have to pay for 2 nights stay even if he did not stay there at all. We went to have a drink, and decided to stay there one night, and change hotels the next day. The next day, I went and got my hair done and went for a walk around Paris, as he wanted to handle this himself. When I returned to the hotel, there was a heated discussion going on between him and two guys at the desk. My husband is extremely polite and diplomatic (I have a shorter fuse, and that is partially why he handled this). They were now telling him that he had to pay for the entire week, even though he had already found another hotel (the Hotel Washington, where we ended up staying, which was VERY nice). They refused to be of any assistance whasoever, and were laughing at him--it was surreal! They told us we had to call our travel agent, but would not let us use their phone to do so, so we went to a pay phone down the street and got ahold of her. She was mortified, and told us to pack up our bags and leave, and not sign anything. We did, and started walking to the Rue Richelieu to our other hotel. One of the guys chased us down the street, and my polite husband followed him back to explain to him what our travel agent had instructed us to do. He wanted to handle this on his own, and had me go to our new room, drop off my bags, and wait for him at a cafe. He finally showed up and hour and a half later. I asked him what happened, and he told me that they called the police on him! He got nervous as we were in a foreign country, and was basically strong armed into signing a credit card slip for a week's stay. Their logic was that it was a busy season, and hotels were at a premium, so how dare we try not to stay there. Slimy, slimy, slimy."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of March 2004

OK -- but nothing more

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I stayed here for three nights during the Paris auto show in October 2002. Paid about 150 euros for a small serviceable (read, small, uninteresting) single. I don't regret this as I was visiting a friend with a nearby small (eighth floor walk-up) apartment and wanted personal space and place to meet before touring this great city. There are better places in this price range (but, maybe not available during peak periods)."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of December 2003

What a *TINY* room! For a $125/night, it wasn't worth it.

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"My husband & I took a sort of belated Honeymoon trip to Europe, which included a stay in Paris at the Malte Opera, Nov. 14-17. The general look of the hotel from the outside and inside lobby & lounge look fine, and we knew European hotels would be much smaller than American hotels, but we were still pretty floored by how unbelievably tiny our room was!
Small is one thing, but our room was literally about the size of a large walk-in closet! We only had a double bed, but there wasn't even enough space in the room to walk around the sides of the bed - I got into & out of bed by crawling in from the bottom. We stuffed our suitcases in the narrow space between the bed & the wall. There was one tall but narrow closet, mainly just for hanging your coat. We were on the ground floor tucked back in the building so we didn't have a view, although there was a window, which sort of looked into some brush and the lounge area. At times when the room felt too clausterphobic or warm, I was at least able to open the window for a breeze. The bathroom was also quite small, though about what I had expected. It's a pretty tight squeeze just to sit on the toilet, so if you're very tall, beware, you might have to sit on the toilet sideways! There was a small tub & shower, but no shower curtain. There was also no alarm clock!
There was a small hairdryer, thank goodness. The TV only has about 7 channels, with only 1 or 2 in English. There was also a little mini-bar/fridge which the TV sits on - we weren't interested in the high-priced mini-bar, but we bought our own drinks & snacks and stuffed them in the fridge around the mini-bar items, so at least we didn't have to spend a fortune on breakfast. The good points are that everything seemed clean enough, and during our stay things were pretty quiet with no disruptive noise. Location wise, this hotel is also pretty good, although I'm sure there are other hotels as close, if not closer to some of the sights. From this hotel, you can walk to the Louvre Museum, the River Seine, and the grand Opera Building in about 15 minutes or less. My husband & I actually walked all the way across the Seine to the Eiffel Tower on the first day, as the distance was not as far as it looked on the map, but it is a much longer walk. On the same street as the hotel there are 2 little markets which stay open late so you can buy drinks & snacks - highly recommended because food & drink are So expensive in Paris & Europe in general!! At a cafe or restaurant, 2 20 oz bottles of coke will cost you $8 or $9!! You can buy a 2 liter in the market for a couple bucks though. There are a decent number of little restaurants and shops near the hotel as well.
But the hotel room was just SO small, it was kind of depressing to come back to, and clausterphobic. Granted, most of us are out sightseeing all day, but it's still nice to have a room to come back to that's pleasant enough to spend a little time in. I didn't complain to the front desk because i didn't want to seem like a rude American who just doesn't understand what things are like in Europe. Upon quick peeks into rooms next to ours, we saw one that looked the same tiny size (maybe even a bit smaller!), but one closer to the corner that looked substantially larger - still not big, but much more pleasant, so i wish we could've had that room. We stayed in London a few days later, and our hotel room there was much more normal sized, not like Paris at all!
So in short, while I know European hotel rooms are smaller, it seems the Malte Opera has some that are perhaps even tinier than normal European standards! And we paid $125 a night, which just did not seem worth it for such a teeny space. I'm sure there are lots of other hotels, so maybe either pay a bit more to stay elsewhere or make sure you get a room that is at least a liveable size. Our trip wasn't ruined, but let's just say we wished we could have stayed somewhere else a bit better, and were very happy when it was time to check out and head to London."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of December 2003

Would not go back there

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Beware of this little place! They have poor customer service and they're just shady. Don't ever let them "re-book" any reservations you've already previously made! When the hotel's night auditor, Samuel, discovered I had already made reservations from the U.S. for some of the famous Parisian shows like "The Lido," he absolutely insisted on "re-booking" my reservations for me. Lo and behold, he used my same confirmation number then promptly demanded 24 EUROS cash for this service, promising that the money would definitely be refunded to me at the show. Much to my embarrassment, the show refused to refund the money because it was the hotel's commission. When I complained at the hotel and asked to speak to the hotel manager, she refused to even come out. I'm definitely not going back there!"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of November 2003

needs thinking

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"we are staying at the malte the rooms are small although the location is great; the bedding is rough and not newish; the bathroom is bright and new however that does not make up for the price: there are only 9 channels on tv preselected, if desperate for cheap in good location or travelling single stay here;"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of August 2003

a fantastic place to stay

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Hotel Malte Opera is a fantastic place to stay!! We discovered it over the internet in June 2002 and have been back a further 2 times since then. It is by far the best hotel we have stayed in Paris and would recommend it highly. The rooms are immaculate with very modern ensuites - the size of the single room can be quite cramped as experienced on one occassion - this appears to be the case on the single rooms facing the street frontage.Rooms facing the interior courtyard and back of premises were larger in size and would request if travelling as a couple.If single, the front rooms are fine. The location of the hotel is brilliant with everything being within a short stroll - within 10 minutes walk are the Louvre,Palais Royal,Opera and fantastic retail stores along Rue St Honore Fauborg and Etienne Marcel. All the department stores are within 15 mins walk.The hotel is surrounded by some great cafes and restaurants - do try Lexir and Juveniles Wine Baer down the street for great value and quality.There is an abundance of Japanese and Asian restaurants in the immediate area. Breakfast is served in the Dining Room off the hotel foyer - it is pretty simple with fresh coffee combined with cereals,juices and bread selection - there is no hot items served. The closest Metro is Quatre September -it is within 5 mins - but you are so central to everything you find yourself walking to most of the locations."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of July 2003