About Hotel Les Jardins du Marais

• kitchenette
  • pets allowed
  • nightclub dj

Good

What was all the fuss about

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Before leaving for my trip to the Les Jardins Du Marais I read some of the reviews that had previously been written about the hotel and what rubbish the reviews had been.
The hotel is of a very high standard, reception staff were so professional that i think they deserve a special mention. The rooms were small but that reflected in the price not in the standard, they were exceptionally clean and well furnished, everyone connected with the hotel could not have done enough, we asked for more towels, they were there within 10 minutes, we asked for more privacy on our first morning in Paris as we did not arrive until late, we were given until 3 in the afternoon before they needed to be in to service the room. All in all a highly recommended place to stay enjoy it"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

a bit of paris

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"We loved being at the Les Jardins. The courtyard was so beautiful, staff extremely helpful. We stayed for 2 nights. It was so convenient to Bastille and the Canal St. Martin. Do take the canal boat ride while in Paris-it's so refreshing. Yes, the room was small but most are in Europe. Very quiet, very close to so many sights."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of April 2006

Les Jardins Is Recommended

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I booked a stay through [-------] via TripAdvisor for 21-24 February 2006. That was easy enough and email confirmation was fast.

The hotel is situated in an ideal location in the Marais as it's next to Rue Oberkampf (a major nightlife street) and is only a few blocks from a Metro. Being Paris, there are restaurants and cafes all around, plus grocery shops and so on. From the outside, the hotel isn't much but it makes a very nice impression once you walk through the automatic doors. The lobby is sleek, sort of "icy but hip French Modernist" meets "New Orleans". Contrary to complaints in other reviews, the staff were quite friendly, helpful and responsive. In fact, they seemed even eager to please.

The hotel is actually four separate 5-story buildings, with names like "Eiffel", around a very large cobbled courtyard. My room, with kitchenette area, was quite nice and very pleasantly decorated on a classical theme with handsome wood furniture. It was very clean and overlooked the courtyard. There was little noise -- the rooms seem to have noise reduction -- and what little there was came from the sound of wheeled bags on the cobbles in the courtyard. I'm a late starter so I appreciated that the housekeeping staff didn't turn up until around 10am. The bathroom was American-sized, which was a plus. The bed was comfortable and firm but not "rock hard" as someone else commented. My only minor complaints were that the bathroom lighting was too weak, washcloths were not provided with the bath and hand towels, the tv signal (on the occasions I watched) was weak, and the viewing choices seemed rather limited.

There were no bellmen to carry bags to and from your room but trolleys were provided, if needed. But I find that only the very best hotels offer that service nowadays. The Waldorf-Astoria does, for example, but the Intercontinental in Montreal does not. The dining room was pretty with it's clear plexiglass Philippe Starck chairs, polished black marble floors and chandeliers. I didn't, however, eat there with so many choices outside the hotel.

I am a frequent traveler with a liking for comfort. I very much recommend this hotel and I think all but very demanding travelers seeking a moderately priced hotel will be satisfied. I would certainly return."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of March 2006

Very Pleasant Stay

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Les Jardins du Marais in November 2005. We booked it through AA Vacations with buffet breakfast included. Breakfast was fabulous! Wonderful variety of foods and enough to eat so that lunch was not necessary. Very pleasant breakfast room. Hotel consists of several buildings connected by a courtyard. We stayed in the farthest building, Renoir. Room was very quiet, beds comfortable, roomy closet and storage space, in-room safe. I had specifically searched for a hotel that had a refrigerator and coffemaker as I like coffee when I first wake up and we like to keep wine and some snacks in the room. The hotel info on AAVacations indicated that the hotel had refrigerator and coffeemaker in the room. The refrigerator was a mini-bar which we could use by removing most of the contents but it was very small. This was ok with hotel. No coffeemaker was in room. I requested (twice) a coffeemaker and finally received an electric pot for boiling water but no coffee, sugar, creamer or cups. So we "borrowed" cups and a spoon from the restaurant and bought a jar of instant coffee at the supermarket nearby. The weather was quite cold while we were there so it was nice to come back to the room in the afternoon and have a hot cup of coffee or tea. The front desk staff were all very pleasant and accommodating and spoke excellent English. This was our 5th trip to Paris and first time staying in the Marais. We thoroughly enjoyed the area. It is quite near the Bastille, Place de Voges and the whole area is wonderful for walking and exploring. Metro station was nearby as well. We'd definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of February 2006

very good for the price

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I have to say this hotel has got a bit of stick here but it was excellent value. we paid 250euro for 2 nights in an executive room. It was a decent size (for paris) right beside a metro station and an excellent rest' (le Pamphlet). Staff were friendly and there's a cooker, fridge and even a diswasher that all came in handy. Overall for the price this is a good place to stay."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of January 2006

Charmless and overpriced

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"There's nothing wrong with this hotel -- except it completely lacks any type of charm or character. The room was a white stucko shoebox with plain, hard beds -- utterly uninviting. I couldn't wait to get out of this hotel, it gave me the creeps. Someone said it's reminiscent of a Motel 6 in the U.S. -- but at five times the price! If you're vacationing and looking to experience romantic Paris, I can instead highly recommend the Villa Beaumarchais which is just two blocks away."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of January 2006

Not worth 4 Stars

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I must say that when we first arrived at the run down building that was our hotel we did not get the best impression of Paris. It was a Sunday, the restuarunt was closed and we thought we had arrived at the slums.

The room was ok, but like another reviewer we had organised a double bed and was given twin beds - at least some other places we have stayed who have done this have made the bed up using double sheets so it is like sleeping in one bed!

This was not a centrally located hotel for the tourist destinations, however there was a metro station very close. However we (having become accustomed to walking during our London stay) walked to Notre Dame (about 20- 25 mins brisk walk) and also the Eifel Tour (I dont reccomend this as we thought it was closer then it actually was!)

A friend had reccomended the "Red Bus Tour" (which I also reccomend - it takes you to all the big sites and you can hop on and off for $22 euros for 2 days), however when we asked at the front desk where we could get on the man advised us that we could go to the Bastille and get on which we thought was great! We went to the Bastille to look for the bus stop and saw the yellow bus (similar but our friend had said the red one was better) we decided to walk to Notre Dame as we thought we may have missed the Red Bus and we got on at Notre Dame only to look on the map and find that the Red Bus didn't go to Bastille. It was ok because the walk was quite nice, but the man on reception should not have told us that the red bus went from Bastille, we probably would have caught the yellow one instead if we had known.

Although we were not as impressed by Paris as we had hoped to be (Venice is much better!!!) my boyfriend and I did get engaged when we dined at the Paris Ritz and Paris will always be a special place. Whist we could not afford to stay there (and will be paying off the dinner for a while) I find it amazing that Les Jardins du Marais is 4 star when the beautiful Ritz is just one star more!!!

I do praise one girl (unfortunately we cant remember her name!) who helped us get on track to make the very long and annoying trip to Beauvaris Airport to fly RyanAir - dont fly RyanAir unless you are very sure you know where you are going and also note they have a 15kg luggage limit only not the usual 20 or 22kg!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of January 2006

Horrible experience!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I have Used trip advisor for advice on numerous occasions Never had an experience like this one ever before. It all started around December forteenth when I was booking my trip through a travel agency.
I got to paris on the thirtyfirst of december 2005. I was travelling with some friends of ours we had arrainged trasportation from the airport. we dropped them of first at their Hotel(a nice four star esablisment )Bellmen rushing to help with the luggage etc. After we unloaded their luggage off we went towards our hotel (about 12 to 13 minutes from Champs eyles)finnaly we get there. And old broken looking bulding with actually 4 stars on the board outside (should have been a red signal right there ) I mean how many times do you see a four star hotel try so hard to establish their legitamacy. Any way we walk through the doors. No bellman rushing to help us here here we are with five pieces of luggage our taxi driver end up staying there and helping us unload. we tip him and he leaves and and here we are on the mercy of unfriendly staff.
i must mention one guy by the name of "Pedro" was real helpfull rest of everyone I guess dont need to say any further. Any way long story short there is no bellmen I am not a lazy person normally it will not even be problem but the way this hotel is laid out it is a big problem . It is a combination of five or six old appartment buildings that have a coble stone street run through some one bought those buildings and street that runs through them and made it into a hotel. It sounds really romantic till you see the view ........you will regret that u ever tried to learn how to pronounce the name. any way the rooms are small musky smelling much smaller than they appear in the pictures on the internet .
Then we had to carry our luggage two flight of croocked stairs.
Room is so small two medium size people can not even stay out of each others way to get ready.
Pressure in the shower was very low.
Bed was hard a rock! any way we are there for new years eve and half the charm was gone cause of the displeassure caused by the hotel. long story short I ended up calling my travel agent from paris back in USA that same night making arrangements to switch hotels next day and go stay at a true four star hotel.
Did eat breakfast next morning cause it was included with my package deal it was pretty fair. and then went to check out. The manager with the glasses told me "Sorry no bellman today" when i asked for assistance with the luggage ( and I am thinking I don't think you ever have one any way. )
Any way I have never left a review here because i am very understanding person and understand that a particular establishment can have bad day but this one here is more or less deception if I am allowed to use this term but this particular hotel I just could not help but post a review for cause I dont want any one else to make the same mistake I made. Beware! if you wana pay price of four star and stay at one or may be two star go ahead."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of January 2006

Friendly Service, Ok-Rooms, Good Location

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I stayed at the hotel from January 6 to 8, 2006. We got a special room rate of EUR 113.00 per night an double room, which seems quite fair to me.

The hotel's location was quite ok. It has easy access to public transport with a underground station at a 2 minutes walk distance. However, it's not super-central, means on the eastern edge of the touristic Paris. Located about 600m from Place de la Bastille, you can't reach any sightseeing sites on foot.

The hotel staff was friendly: they spoke both French and English, assisted by making restaurant reservation, made recommendations, etc. The rooms were ok, having nicely looking bathrooms. However, the toilet made strange noises during the night (there was a constant sound) and guests in other rooms flushed. Furthermore, the bath tub leaked somehow.

The beds were hard and there was only a pretty thin blanket (american-style). So no Duvet or nordic style blankets. Probably the worst thing was that there's no bold curtain to save the room from to much light in the morning. The thin, shining- and look-through curtains were not enough to a) prevent people in the courtyard to look into your room and b) to darken the room in the morning.

Over all, the hotel offered good service for the price paid. It might be especially romantic in the summer, when the beautiful courtyard can be used to have an Espresso after dinner."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of January 2006

Definately not a 4 star!!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"New Year in Paris could you want more? Sometimes all you need is a little attention, this is something you do not receive from the Home Plaza Les Jardins du Marais. After pre-arranging that our stay is for a anniversary and that we require a double bed, we were given two single beds pushed together and were crammed in the uninhabited quarters of the Rodin building (Furthest away from rest of hotel down a groggy alley where it seemed we were in another country "not Paris") I soon realised that this hotel is masquerading as a 4 Star hotel and noted that the "recently renovated" hotel had dirty carpets and walls, miniture towels and dated furniture. There were no flowers, no robes or slippers, and definately no nice romantic touches that you would expect from a 4 star hotel. After some arrangements we were moved to another room which seemed a bit better, at least closer.
The breakfast was overpriced at 20 eur p.p which hapens to be the same price as some of Paris's luxury hotels and a slice of chocolate cake via room serice would set you back 24 eur, that is if you manage to get room service. We were let down by a receptionist claiming that we could not be served a cup of tea in our room as the restaurant is closed on a Sunday (This was 20:00 on a Sunday night!) After this ordeal the receptionist "kindly" stated that we make a complaint and agreed with us that this is shambolic! We were shocked that we couldn't even get some hot water (in a 4 Star hotel!)
We would reccomend trying to find a smaller boutique hotel in Marais where you will pay less and receive better service and the romance that you would want when visiting Paris"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of January 2006